Start by marking “Starfire (Supernova Alpha, #2)” as Want to Read:
Starfire (Supernova Alpha, #2)

Starfire (Supernova Alpha #2)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Earth has been ravaged by galactic disaster--but the real devastation is yet to come.

The end draws nigh....

The year is 2053, and Earth has barely recovered from the Alpha Centauri supernova that destroyed much of the planet's infrastructure. Now the supernova's residual effect--a storm of high-energy particles--is racing toward Earth, and an international effort has been l
Mass Market Paperback, 497 pages
Published May 2nd 2000 by Spectra (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Starfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starfire

Gendou
A satisfying conclusion which resolves questions raised in the previous book. Namely, an explanation as to why it occurred. I enjoyed the grand engineering project to build a space shield to protect the Earth from the supernova particles. This involved some good rocket science, which was fun. Also, some of the characters developed further, and my favorite duo is Seth and Oliver. They're both gruff killers, but they make such nice friends! So cute!

Of course, some things bugged me, like the contin
Rachel
Apr 05, 2013 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
The characters range from wooden to annoying to abhorrent. The nastiness between the two physicists is presented as if it's sweet and endearing, but it's not. The murder mystery subplot does keep the suspense going but it's kind of stupid. I guessed the murderer and the motive separately, but thought I must be wrong because it just wouldn't happen that way. I still thought that after reading the resolution. The underground Jurassic Park built by a lunatic dwarf who's one of the world's most powe ...more
J.P.
Sean Randall
It's an irony that some trilogies are too long, yet the gap between these two books could have easily held another title. Still, this was a totally rewarding read, and I found it compelling to the end and utterly enjoyable all the way through.
Thomas
I read the first book in the series years ago. But I missed the conclusion. This is a three ring circus of a book, and I really enjoyed it.
B Kevin
It has been a long time since I have so enjoyed a Sci Fi book. Hard SciFi at its best, hints of alien attack, technology, massive destruction on Earth, and all the loose ends nicely tied up. No Dystopia pseudo-psycho bable one so often gets today.
Lynne Fort
I know now that this book is objectively not that great, but I read it in my teens and it's the book that got me into sci-fi, so I'm very attached to it. It's a quick, easy, formulaic read, and fantastic for anyone looking for a little escapism. It's not great if you want to think deeply.
Sean Ryan
Very good, fun read.. Mattie is a bit oversimple, but likable.. My only issue with the story, why, except to enable the plot, did Olivar kill the original darlings? Clone them, yes, but kill them? I guess that's what makes him a "monster".
Trevor Parker
Aug 08, 2007 Trevor Parker rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Disaster Lovers
This is a simple mystery with an intriguing twist, mixed with a classic sci-fi good-golly-the-world-is-doomed based plot. Nothing phenomenal, but simply and truly entertaining.
Tim Davie-baguley
A very different read from the first part so far, much faster paced and deeper into the space/science areas. My inner geek is enjoying this book!
Icarus
I guess this was Sheffield trying to go wide-appeal. It's okay, but far from his best stuff. Seems cranked out.
Cℓinton Sheppard
Space station murder mystery interleaved with alien conspiracy theory.
Greg of A2
A very enjoyable follow-up to the sci-fi disaster novel Aftermath.
Dan J
Dan J added it
Jun 29, 2015
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Jaguar
Jaguar marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
May 29, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Iji
Iji marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Crater Lake (Deathlands, #4)
  • Purgatory (Galactic Comedy #2)
  • The Face of the Waters
  • Cradle of Saturn
  • Deadman Switch
  • Probability Sun (Probability, #2)
  • The Miocene Arrow (Greatwinter Trilogy #2)
  • The Depths of Time (The Chronicles of Solace, #1)
  • Birth Of An Age (The Christ Clone Trilogy, #2)
  • Plague War (Plague, #2)
  • Ascending (Expendables, # 4)
  • Firestar (Firestar, #1)
  • The Martian Race
  • The Golden Globe
  • Eternity Road
  • Starfarers
  • Mississippi Blues (Nanotech, #2)
  • Afterlight (Last Light, #2)
Charles A. Sheffield (June 25, 1935 – November 2, 2002), was an English-born mathematician, physicist and science fiction author. He had been a President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and of the American Astronomical Society.

His novel The Web Between the Worlds, featuring the construction of a space elevator, was published almost simultaneously with Arthur C. Clarke's novel
More about Charles Sheffield...

Supernova Alpha (2 books)
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1) Summertide (Heritage Universe, #1) Cold as Ice  (Cold as Ice #1) Tomorrow and Tomorrow Divergence (Heritage Universe 2)