Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)

Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  11 reviews
An old friend of Riker's is accused of stealing 'Fortune's Light' a jewel on the planet Dane Maxima Seven. Riker investiages
Paperback
Published January 31st 1991 by Titan Books Ltd (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Fortune's Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortune's Light

Ibis3
So-so. There were definite problems with adherence to the canon in both the A plot (before the first season of TNG, the Federation didn't know much about the Ferengi and had never seen them) and the B plot (people at the beginning of the 21st century in the Trek universe were busy fighting and recovering from the Eugenics Wars to be playing baseball, right?). I found the state of women's equality to be somewhat lacking for being several hundred years in the future instead of the author's time of...more
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Another story that promises much, but delivers none. Some lame story about an object that is stolen and recovered, mixed in with a LOT of baseball crap. Definitely not what I would expect from a syfy novel.
Joey Slawinski
The story is a good one. There is a Data b-story, however, which didn't really fit in with the a-story at all. It was a interesting diversion, but every time one of those chapters came up I kept wishing it would get back to the real story. I also found that Mr. Friedman got some of the vernacular wrong, especially in the holodeck scenes.
Angela
I read only half this book and just had to stop reading. It's quite bad. Riker goes on a detective journey to find an old friend, while Data discovers Baseball. The Riker storyline - well, not that much happens in the first 100 pages, and its quite boring. The Data storyline, I really didn't care about at all, I think you'd have to be a fan to enjoy it. Shame really, I've liked this writers other books.
Daniel Kukwa
Another harmless, pleasant read from the TNG universe...although this one has the added pleasure of introducing the obsession some characters in the "Star Trek" universe have with the nearly "extinct" game of baseball. It would take DS9 to truly milk this trait for all its worth, but Michael Jan Friedman handles it rather sweetly in this novel.
Mish
I was quite into Star Trek Next Gen when I read this, but is was so incredibly poorly written and the plot so bad it just didn't do it for me, even for a fan willing to overlook some flaws to get a dose of a favourite show.
Devero
Una storia tutto sommato debole, che utilizza il "Guardiano dell'Eternità" per mettere una pezza ad una trama abbastanza improbabile ruotante attorno a Riker, a Deanna Troy e Worf, con salti temporali.
Camille
Riker goes on a secret mission to save an old friend's reputation and Data learns about baseball. Meh.

By the way, the author of this novel is Michael Jan Friedman not T.L. Mancour.
Jeff
I read all these "Next Generation" books in middle school/early high school. Even then I thought most of them were pretty bad. But I'm a completist so they must be included in my book list!
Bradley
Average fare for Next Gen novel. It was an engaging read but left me wanting for more. The baseball thread was boring. Only amusing for a rabid Trekkie I suppose.
Matt
Amazing Data storyline. If you're a fan of his journeys towards humanity, you'll probably enjoy this.
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Valorie Maes
Valorie Maes is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Carla Aparo
Carla Aparo marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Brian Brooks
Brian Brooks marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Doomsday World (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #12)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Sins of Commission (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #29)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Guises of the Mind (Star Trek: The Next Generation #27)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • The Last Stand (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #37)
  • The Eyes of the Beholders (Star Trek The Next Generation, #13)
Michael Jan Friedman is an author of nearly sixty books of fiction and nonfiction, more than half of which are in the Star Trek universe. Ten of his titles have appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list. Friedman has also written for network and cable television, radio, more than 150 comic books, most of them for DC Comics, for whom he created the Darkstars.
More about Michael Jan Friedman...
All Good Things... Reunion (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Planet X (Star Trek: The Next Generation) Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)