Start by marking “Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)” as Want to Read:
Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)

Fortune's Light (Star Trek: The Next Generation #15)

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  524 ratings  ·  13 reviews
An old friend of Riker's is accused of stealing 'Fortune's Light' a jewel on the planet Dane Maxima Seven. Riker investiages
Published January 31st 1991 by Titan Books Ltd (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Fortune's Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortune's Light

So-so. There were definite problems with adherence to the canon in both the A plot (before the first season of TNG, the Federation didn't know much about the Ferengi and had never seen them) and the B plot (people at the beginning of the 21st century in the Trek universe were busy fighting and recovering from the Eugenics Wars to be playing baseball, right?). I found the state of women's equality to be somewhat lacking for being several hundred years in the future instead of the author's time of ...more
Nathan Burgoine
Old pal of Riker ends up accused of theft of a culture's priceless artifact, and the bearded and burly second officer must prove him innocent. Not a faboo story, but mind-candy of a Trek nature. I used to devour these like said candy, but I took my Trek any way I could find it.
Not a very good reading. The A-story isn't so bad, especially at the end it picks up the speed, and becomes fairly ok, but the B-story was pointless and boring. I couldn't care less about detailed description of baseball, an American game which I know very little about and don't care about at all. If it was some Data character moment to show sow growth, it failed to deliver.
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Another story that promises much, but delivers none. Some lame story about an object that is stolen and recovered, mixed in with a LOT of baseball crap. Definitely not what I would expect from a syfy novel.
Joey Slawinski
The story is a good one. There is a Data b-story, however, which didn't really fit in with the a-story at all. It was a interesting diversion, but every time one of those chapters came up I kept wishing it would get back to the real story. I also found that Mr. Friedman got some of the vernacular wrong, especially in the holodeck scenes.
I read only half this book and just had to stop reading. It's quite bad. Riker goes on a detective journey to find an old friend, while Data discovers Baseball. The Riker storyline - well, not that much happens in the first 100 pages, and its quite boring. The Data storyline, I really didn't care about at all, I think you'd have to be a fan to enjoy it. Shame really, I've liked this writers other books.
Daniel Kukwa
Another harmless, pleasant read from the TNG universe...although this one has the added pleasure of introducing the obsession some characters in the "Star Trek" universe have with the nearly "extinct" game of baseball. It would take DS9 to truly milk this trait for all its worth, but Michael Jan Friedman handles it rather sweetly in this novel.
I was quite into Star Trek Next Gen when I read this, but is was so incredibly poorly written and the plot so bad it just didn't do it for me, even for a fan willing to overlook some flaws to get a dose of a favourite show.
Una storia tutto sommato debole, che utilizza il "Guardiano dell'Eternità" per mettere una pezza ad una trama abbastanza improbabile ruotante attorno a Riker, a Deanna Troy e Worf, con salti temporali.
Riker goes on a secret mission to save an old friend's reputation and Data learns about baseball. Meh.

By the way, the author of this novel is Michael Jan Friedman not T.L. Mancour.
I read all these "Next Generation" books in middle school/early high school. Even then I thought most of them were pretty bad. But I'm a completist so they must be included in my book list!
Average fare for Next Gen novel. It was an engaging read but left me wanting for more. The baseball thread was boring. Only amusing for a rabid Trekkie I suppose.
Amazing Data storyline. If you're a fan of his journeys towards humanity, you'll probably enjoy this.
Sharon marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Matthew Schrick
Matthew Schrick marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Cornelius Bellanger
Cornelius Bellanger marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
John added it
Oct 06, 2015
Greg DeLong
Greg DeLong marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Frank marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Boogeymen (Star Trek: The Next Generation #17)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Contamination (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #16)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Chains of Command (Star Trek: The Next Generation #21)
  • Gulliver's Fugitives (Star Trek Next Generation #11)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36)
  • Debtors' Planet (Star Trek: The Next Generation #30)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • Metamorphosis (Star Trek The Next Generation; The First Giant Novel)
  • Nightshade (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #24)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
Michael Jan Friedman is an author of more than seventy books of fiction and nonfiction, half of which are in the Star Trek universe. Eleven of his titles have appeared on the New York Times Best Seller list. Friedman has also written for network and cable television and radio, and scripted nearly 200 comic books, including his original DC superhero series, the Darkstars.
More about Michael Jan Friedman...

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 102 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)