The Natural Step for Communities: How Cities and Towns can Change to Sustainable Practices

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Sustainability may seem like one more buzzword and cities and towns like the last places to change, but The Natural Step for Communities provides inspiring examples of communities that have made dramatic changes toward sustainability and explains how others can emulate their success.

Chronicled in the book are towns like Övertorneå, whose government operations recently beca...more
Published April 1st 2004 by New Society Publishers

The Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonCradle to Cradle by William McDonoughThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanThe Urban Homestead (Expanded & Revised Edition) by Kelly Coyne
Being "Green"
158th out of 244 books — 150 voters
Silent Spring by Rachel CarsonA Sand County Almanac with Other Essays on Conservation from ... by Aldo LeopoldThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanThe Lorax by Dr. SeussDesert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
Best Environmental Books
408th out of 420 books — 535 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikki
I heard about this book at Family Camp (an annual event I attend which includes speakers). It's the springboard for discussions in communities that want to be more sustainable. Most of the examples in the book are from Sweden, but many communities in the US and elsewhere are following these principles, including quite a few in Wisconsin, from the usual suspects like Madison and Bayfield to smaller towns not usually thought of as hotbeds of environmentalism. The Natural Step is not only about the...more
Vicki
I read this for a class -- easy and enjoyable to read, inspiring stories and ideas from communities that have made advances in sustainability. I especially like the focus on Sweden, next time I go to Iceland I'd like to visit Sweden and see some of their eco-communities. Santa Monica got a few compliments in the book too.
Ryan
It felt a bit dated. And so many of the examples were from Swedish communities, so I had some trouble relating them to my experience. The US examples were tacked on to the end of each chapter. I would have loved to read "10 years later" analyses of these sustainable initiatives.
Nate
The library I run has started three Natural Study Circles and while some of the book is the boiler plate conservation and sustainability argument the approach of bring about change through municipalities is fresh and encouraging.
aksnowbunny Proden
this is a must read if we are all going to change the way we live. it's kinda boring, but full of information and ideas on how to waste less and get more out of our cities and environment.
Eric
A very good program for sustainability.

Comprehensive, direct, applicable, repeatable.

I attended a week-long seminar with the authors and was VERY impressed.
Andrea
As the current chairperson of my local community Green Committee, I am going to start in an upcoming study group. I look forward to it.
Kirsten Barton
Jan 23, 2008 Kirsten Barton added it
Recommended to Kirsten by: sustainability community group
very dry - hard to stick with it, but full of referenceable information
Derm
great case studies. Light reading for text book related stuff
Bjørn Peterson
Bjørn Peterson marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Corey Buttry
Corey Buttry is currently reading it
Mar 14, 2014
Kriegs
Kriegs added it
Jan 06, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Crugee
Crugee added it
Dec 26, 2013
Ryan Urie
Ryan Urie marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Heath Emerson
Heath Emerson marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Alejandro Florenzano
Alejandro Florenzano marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Nina Conn
Nina Conn marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Trina Porter
Trina Porter marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Into The Yell: Poems Office Weapons: Do-It-Yourself Projects to Fortify Your Cubicle Midwife Wisdom, Mother Love Midwife Wisdom, Mother Love SARAH'S AROMA JAZZ RECIPE BOOK! (5 EZ WAYS TO GETT HEALTHIER WITH YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS)