Start by marking “The Natural Step for Communities: How Cities and Towns can Change to Sustainable Practices” as Want to Read:

Sustainability may seem like one more buzzword and cities and towns like the last places to change, but The Natural Step for Communities provides inspiring examples of communities that have made dramatic changes toward sustainability and explains how others can emulate their success.

Chronicled in the book are towns like Övertorneå, whose government operations recently beca
Published April 1st 2004 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Natural Step for Communities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Natural Step for Communities

Nikki
Jul 22, 2008 Nikki rated it liked it
I heard about this book at Family Camp (an annual event I attend which includes speakers). It's the springboard for discussions in communities that want to be more sustainable. Most of the examples in the book are from Sweden, but many communities in the US and elsewhere are following these principles, including quite a few in Wisconsin, from the usual suspects like Madison and Bayfield to smaller towns not usually thought of as hotbeds of environmentalism. The Natural Step is not only about the ...more
Vicki
Mar 19, 2011 Vicki rated it really liked it
I read this for a class -- easy and enjoyable to read, inspiring stories and ideas from communities that have made advances in sustainability. I especially like the focus on Sweden, next time I go to Iceland I'd like to visit Sweden and see some of their eco-communities. Santa Monica got a few compliments in the book too.
Nate
Feb 08, 2008 Nate rated it really liked it
The library I run has started three Natural Study Circles and while some of the book is the boiler plate conservation and sustainability argument the approach of bring about change through municipalities is fresh and encouraging.
Ryan
Aug 28, 2013 Ryan rated it liked it
It felt a bit dated. And so many of the examples were from Swedish communities, so I had some trouble relating them to my experience. The US examples were tacked on to the end of each chapter. I would have loved to read "10 years later" analyses of these sustainable initiatives.
Eric
Jul 15, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing
A very good program for sustainability.

Comprehensive, direct, applicable, repeatable.

I attended a week-long seminar with the authors and was VERY impressed.
Kelley
Jun 02, 2016 Kelley rated it really liked it
Its a shame that communities seem to need to wait for a crisis or a king to order it for a change to happen so completely
Andrea
Mar 25, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it
As the current chairperson of my local community Green Committee, I am going to start in an upcoming study group. I look forward to it.
aksnowbunny Proden
this is a must read if we are all going to change the way we live. it's kinda boring, but full of information and ideas on how to waste less and get more out of our cities and environment.
MrsPL
MrsPL rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2011
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2011
Derm
Feb 03, 2008 Derm rated it really liked it
great case studies. Light reading for text book related stuff
Michael Hale
Michael Hale rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Marroc
Marroc rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2012
Jameson Skaife
Jameson Skaife rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Sophia
Sophia rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2009
Alan Cunningham
Alan Cunningham rated it really liked it
May 19, 2013
Josh Arnold
Josh Arnold rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2008
Scribble
Scribble rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2011
Manu Chavez-Ortiz
Manu Chavez-Ortiz rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2014
Sweetbelowzero
Sweetbelowzero rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Jennifer K
Jennifer K rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2010
Bradlee Fons
Bradlee Fons rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Lewis
Lewis rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
crystal
crystal rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2009
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Du
Du rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2011
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2009
Ghassan Haddad
Ghassan Haddad rated it really liked it
May 11, 2013
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.
More about Sarah James...