Start by marking “Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, Crumbles, and More” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,288 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
From the reigning queens of vegan baking, this is a cookbook that elevates the latest dessert trend - pies and tarts - to a whole new level of delicious. With "Vegan Pie in the Sky", Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero continue their vegan world domination mission and elevate pie and pastry to delicious new heights. In this mouthwatering cookbook, you'll find 75+ r ...more
Published October 25th 2011 by Da Capo Lifelong (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Vegan Pie in the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegan Pie in the Sky

Veganomicon by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra MoskowitzAppetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Best Vegan Cookbooks
31st out of 236 books — 327 voters
Table 21 by T. Rafael CiminoThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
books I love and recommend
28th out of 92 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Nov 11, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys pie; vegans and those who know vegans
I’d read every book to date by both Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero except this one, and have really liked or loved them all, so even though I’m not much of a pie person I decided I had to read this cookbook. I also suspected that I’d get some ideas for vegan pot lucks, and I’m always looking for great pot luck contributions.

This book has good instructions and the whole thing is very readable. It’s entertaining, informative, with clear text throughout. Many of the recipes are very cr
Ashleigh
Jan 15, 2012 Ashleigh rated it really liked it
I now have all three of these specialist vegan baking books. I started off with vegan cupcakes take over the world which in my gradual switch to a vegan diet has allowed me to see that veganizing my vast amount of dairy filled cupcake cookery books is now firmly do-able. I then bought vegan cookies invade your cookie jar and again I was not disappointed, not only are there some wonderful homely recipes but these books make you feel like converting to veganism will not be the end of your sugar fi ...more
Pauline
Aug 03, 2012 Pauline rated it really liked it
This is a great little cookbook and it is even great for people who are not truly vegan...like me.

It has great photos, it has simple clear recipes and the recipes turn out great!!!

My husband who is no where near being a Vegan loves the desserts and prefers the vegan cheesecake to real cheesecake. Myself, I prefer the real cheesecake, but the vegan one does taste good, but the texture is definitely different from regular cheesecake, BUT it is VERY tasty and full of flavour!

I am going to buy this
Jessica
Jan 08, 2012 Jessica is currently reading it
Shelves: cookbooks
Pumpkin Cheesecake: I tried this recipe with high hopes, since we already have a cheesecake recipe we love (albeit using lots of dairy analogs like vegan cream cheese) and I'm a pumpkin fanatic. Unfortunately, while I liked the texture and taste of this pie, it didn't quite meet those expectations. Still, the recipe was fun to follow -- there were many steps but they were all easy -- and the finished product was pretty, with a homey pecan crumble topping.

Happily, I also had the opportunity to at
Robin
Nov 03, 2011 Robin rated it liked it
I have family members who are vegan so I used this book for pie recipes for upcoming holiday family dinners. Good introduction with general tips for pie baking, as well as a section on key items for a vegan baker. While I prefer my non-vegan desserts (fewer processed ingredients like vegetable oil and soy products) this book has really good recipes that I think will please everyone at the table! ps. I love that this book is dedicated to the late Adrienne Shelley, "who celebrated life, love, and ...more
AJ
Nov 15, 2014 AJ rated it liked it
Cookbooks from the Moskowitz/Romero duo never disappoint. However, I did notice a few annoying things about this cookbook, such as telling me to pre-bake a pie crust without telling me at what temperature or for how long to do it! Oops!
VeganMedusa
Jun 16, 2015 VeganMedusa rated it it was amazing
OMFSM, this looks fantastic. I just need a reason. C'mon universe, give me a reason to make pie.
Ryan Mishap
May 03, 2015 Ryan Mishap rated it really liked it
Shelves: guide-books
I was making strawberry hand pies last week, when I realized I had never put this cookbook up here. While their jokes sometimes fall flat, the recipes aren't always the most clearly written, and sometimes you wonder who would want to eat that, this is still an easy to use, awesome cookbook.
Lauren Read
Jul 28, 2015 Lauren Read rated it it was amazing
Both practical and delectable, this specialty cookbook gives me much exciting motivation and encouraging confidence to make my own pies and such. After reading through the pages -- complete with flavorful terminology such as "blob" and "adorable" throughout -- I feel well equipped with techniques and tricks just as well as recipes. It sticks, just like syrup!
Lisa Urso
Nov 21, 2015 Lisa Urso rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads, cookbooks
I'm not really a huge fan of pies, but this book has convinced me I can actually bake one. It does take some skill, but Isa and Terry are very encouraging and honest. Looking forward to trying an apple galette!
Chris
Feb 15, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
We're not vegan, but a member of our household can't have dairy.

I was hesitant to get this cookbook because we mostly make fruit pies and the recipes we use don't call for dairy. However, this cookbook is still worth having. There are a number of cheesecake recipes as well as pudding pies. And let's not forget dairy-free pumpkin pie; Thanksgiving will be the better for it. Our non-dairy eater is excited to simply make the filling for the Chocolate Pudding Pie and eat it by the bowl.

I also found
Matthew Gilboy
Jun 27, 2015 Matthew Gilboy rated it it was amazing
love it love it. got a review copy and tried out five recipes in the first week and each was a success
Tara
Jan 26, 2016 Tara rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Great intro to pie making in the beginning and so many great pie recipes.
Aja Marsh
Apr 27, 2016 Aja Marsh rated it liked it
i don't know if a whole book on vegan pies is necessary, because save for a few good vegan crust recipes, what else do you need? i guess for creamy pies, that's good, but those are the kind of pies i like. or custard pies like pecan or pumpkin. fine. the book is also fine.
Kristina
Jan 12, 2013 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, cookery
I'm a big baker, but I've always been a little intimidated by pie crusts. Then my hubby went vegan, and it seemed like pie crusts would be something I would never tackle. My poor husband has been left out of the dessert fun during the holidays for the last two years. I had seen this book before and so I decided to give it a whirl. Boy am I glad I did. My crust didn't turn out perfect the first time (pie crust is something you kind of need a feel for), but the authors' clear and simple directions ...more
Jessica
May 29, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
One of my go-to books when I need a vegan dessert, which is often!
Nikki
Mar 06, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it
Feb 2012

Pies aren't my thing unless they involve creamy chocolate (which I have an awesome recipe for already). But my long time boyfriend adores pie, especially fruit pies (I don't know what is wrong with him either....ok, so I enjoy fruit pie SOMETIMES, but craving it? Try never.). I enjoyed the various different types of pie available in Vegan Pie and look forward to trying more of them. I loaned this from the library but may need to add it to my collection, perhaps it can make me like pies m
Dahlia Martin
Feb 09, 2013 Dahlia Martin rated it really liked it
The book does offer some really amazing pie recipes! I love the cheesecakes in particular (however, the preparing, baking and refrigerating means you need to start making it the day before), and have made the super easy very berry choc chip crumble on many an occasion (a very fuss-free a quick recipe). Just don't get into the mistaken train of thought that vegan desserts are necessarily any healthier than non-vegan ones - heaps of sugar is prescribed in the recipes, although I suppose it is very ...more
Katey
Dec 27, 2011 Katey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Full disclosure: I haven't made any of the recipes in this book. But, based on the wonderful recipes in the authors' previous works, I'm sure they'll be as delicious as they look.

I love the precursory information, and the way it's written is both informative and highly entertaining.

I'm really looking forward to my husband (hopefully) being able to eat gluten again, because this book is tops on my list to purchase, and the pies to bake. Mmmm. PIE.
Regina Spiker
Mar 24, 2012 Regina Spiker rated it really liked it
Although so many of these looks absolutely yummy, I've narrowed it down to three that I'm definitely going to make - Chai-Spiced Rice Pudding, page 120; Apple Brown Betty on page 130 (my Mom always made the regular version of this)and French Toast Apple Cobbler, page 133. Hmmm, all apple! There are also great recipes for crusts (think vodka crust!)and doughs.
Malika
Jan 31, 2015 Malika rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, 2015
I made the Appleberry and the Old Fashioned Chocolate Pudding pies. The former was pretty tasty, though I don't like to taste the sourness in green apples. I'll use red apples next time. The latter was a little difficult to make and a little on the bitter side. (though it's my fault - I used bittersweet chocolate chips instead of semisweet!).
Saleris
Jan 05, 2013 Saleris rated it really liked it
Liked the book. Some recipes are easier than others (to be expected in a cookbook), but given the size, the balance and selection is very good.
I'd like to have seen at least one recipe or instruction on making mini-pies, since I'm only cooking for me and I have some little one-person pie tins, but I'll figure it out eventually.
Lisa
Mar 30, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I love pie, who doesn't love pie? These recipes are scrumptious, just like all the desserts in the other two books. My go to pie book. Made the basil peach pie...sinful!
Hester
Mar 11, 2013 Hester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heerlijke recepten, maar de overkill aan suiker is absoluut onnodig en doet enkel af aan de smaak. Behalve dan misschien voor de bovengemiddelde suiker junkie.
Debra
Nov 11, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Presented in a very visually pleasing way. Easy to follow directions. Mostly one page, making it easy to file the recipes.
Brandy
Mar 19, 2012 Brandy rated it it was amazing
I think I've made about 8 pies from this book so far and I only disliked one (Key Lime). Five stars is more than fair.
Valerie
Dec 22, 2011 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
I've made three or four pies from here, I think. I LOVE this cookbook. Vegan cheesecake has changed my life.
Yodamom
Sep 28, 2012 Yodamom rated it it was amazing
Made all our Thanksgiving pies from this book and all turned out fantastic. Our fav. The Chai Pie
Ellis Cullen
Apr 18, 2014 Ellis Cullen rated it it was amazing
Best pie recipes ever from the best vegan cookbook authors ever!
Abraham Ray
Apr 30, 2015 Abraham Ray rated it it was amazing
good vegan cookbook for pies & piecrusts.
For the soy, nut and gluten free. 3 5 Mar 30, 2013 07:16PM
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Party Vegan
  • Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day: Revolutionary New Takes On Everyone's Favorite On-the-Go Meal
  • The Best Veggie Burgers on the Planet: 101 Globally Inspired Vegan Creations Packed with Fresh Flavors and Exciting New Tastes
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • Spork-Fed: Super Fun and Flavorful Vegan Recipes from the Sisters of Spork Foods
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Vegan Holiday Kitchen: More than 200 Delicious, Festive Recipes for Special Occasions
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining & Everyday
  • Big Vegan
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
Oh goodness, there is a date of death dropdown menu on this form. Do the fine people of goodreads know something that I don't?
More about Isa Chandra Moskowitz...