What to Cook and How to Cook It

What to Cook and How to Cook It

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Suitable for beginners, this cookbook shows how to cook easy, delicious meals for every day of the week. With a combination of step-by step-photographs, and foolproof recipes, it takes 100 favourite everyday dishes and guides the reader through different steps of the cooking process with recipes that anyone can follow.
Hardcover
Published September 1st 2010 by Phaidon Press

To ask other readers questions about What to Cook and How to Cook It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What to Cook and How to Cook It

Blog on Books
We can’t say enough about it – “What to Cook and How to Cook It” by Jane Hornby (Phaidon). First of all, Phaidon is mostly known as an art publisher, so that should tell you something about this book. Jane Hornby is the former food editor of the magazine BBC Good Food, but what is important here is the book itself. If you are looking for the best new book for cooking the basics, it’s hard to imagine a better find than Hornby’s. Why do we say that? Just look at it. “What to Cook and How to Cook I...more
Wendy
Jan 26, 2012 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new cooks
Shelves: 2012-reads, cookbooks
Whenever I get bored with my usual repertoire of recipes, I browse cookbooks for inspiration. This beautiful cookbook caught my eye at the library and came home with me. Despite keeping it until it was almost $3.00 overdue, I didn't end up trying as many recipes as I wanted. The ones I did try turned out good, though.

The best part of this book is the pictures. The photos are gorgeous (don't you hate cookbooks that won't show you the food?) and shot from a top down perspective so that what you se...more
Kelly
I love Jane Hornby's format. She give you all the information you need, including visual cues, because every step in the cooking process is photographed. I've only made one recipe out of the book so far, the Shepherd's Pie variation on a Cottage Pie. Unfortunately I didn't realize when I got started how long it was going to take to make. I should have taken the "weekend cooking" category more seriously. I also probably should have decided to try two other new things at the same time. The final p...more
Jing
I absolutely love this cookbook. The one thing I need most in a cookbook is pictures, so I can have at least a visual of what the dish is supposed to look like. This book does that and more. There are pictures of even the preparation and the ingredients themselves and the directions are short, but clear cut and understandable. I've already made about 15 of the 100 dishes and they have all been superb! The home-made pizza and panna cotta dessert were especially delicious. I love this cookbook and...more
Pauline
My 13 year old son and I have started to learn how to cook. This book is our favourite. We have made loads of the recipes and they are all delicious. We love the photographs. We know what each step should look like and what we are aiming to achieve. The instructions are really easy to follow and the ingredients are all readily available and realistic. The cost is not extravagant. Infact if you want a cook book this is a must both to look at and own and to use as the recipes work. Highly recommen...more
Kasia
This book is very attractive, as many reviewers have already said, with really great pictures of the ingredients and each stage of preparation. But what I like most is the selection of recipes. They include all the favourites, like lasagna and chocolate cake, but also have some more creatives dishes I hadn't heard of before. All of these are easy enough for a less-experienced cook but the best part is that they all look and taste impressive, so can be used for special occasions or dinner parties...more
I was about to write Hornby off as pretentious, but this cookbook is great! Very well-organized, great pics and the recipes are really family-friendly, yet sophisticated enough for people who aren't feeding kids. This is by far my favorite cookbook of hers - the only way to improve it would be to add nutritional information. It's also a little big/heavy, but it stays open on the counter-top. This would be a great shower gift, or house-warming present for someone who's newly on their own.
Julie
Amazing! I want to try every single recipe! I've not come across such a phenomenon before. I have cookbooks on my shelves that contain trusted old favorite recipes & other that I pick & choose from, none of them do I like entirely. This is a book full of favorite foods! The recipes are well organized & clearly laid out. As for the step-by-step pictures, they are awesome! This one is going on my gift wish list!
Tim Mckinstry
I love this book!

The cover design is awesome, the layout is beautiful, content is ordered by dish (breakfast, lunch, sidedish etc) and the step by step instructions (which are super easy to follow I might add) even feature photographs so you can see how your dish should look at each stage.

All I needed in a first cookbook, and more! Enough said, it's brilliant.
ReadingWench
By the title of this book, I thought it was a how to guide on how to cook different veggies and meat, it is not however. Its a general simple recipe book.

So far I have only glanced at this book, but its layout is fantastic, and recipes easy. I have made the Butterscotch Banana Bread. I did however have to adjust the recipe for high altitude. It turned out very well.

Jan Polep
You know I hate a cookbook that doesn't pictre what you're making? Not so with this book, big time. Steve and I both went through and put sticky notes on pages to copy and try and will report back. The tomato soup and margharetti pizza are first up. Book must weigh 15 pounds but the pictures are fantastic.
Cherrinsy
Loves this book! It is amazing. Love the clear instructions along with the step-by-step photos.
Carolin
Fantastic cook book! This book is a great intro for new cooks, but it's also a great addition to anybody who has been cooking for a while. I've made the Coq au Vin, the Beef Stew, French Toast with Stewed Plums and Bolognese so far. They all came out great.
Liz DeCoster
I thought the visual approach for this cookbook was great. Everything looked really easy when laid out ingredient by ingredient, and pictures at various steps are helpful if you're not sure what dough should look like, how thick a sauce should be, etc.
April
A picture is worth a thousand words. Each step in the food making process is shown via a photo, along with a description of what that step entails. The recipes are extremely diverse and everything I have made has been delicious.
LOVE THIS BOOK! full of pictures with how the food should look as you cook it. I have changed most of the recopies I've used, but i love the layout and the simplicity.
Sushin Dahal
I absolutely loved this cooking book! It's really nice how there are pictures of everything! Its makes it so much easier to understand what it is telling you to do!
kelli
This book has excellent detail on certain recipes. It makes cooking easy and fun. Cannot wait to get back in the kitchen to make more yummy stuff!
Steven Salaita
A really handsome book with great photographs and simple recipes. Looks great on a kitchen shelf and has lots of utility, as well.
Andréa
Love the step-by-step photos for each recipe and the photo glossary -- makes it easy to figure out if you're doing it right!
Brenda
Love the step-by-step pictures. Every recipe I have made from this book has been delicious, and a hit with everyone in my house.
Carrie
My kids love this cookbook because it has step by step illustrations and pictures if all the ingredients you will use.
Cynthia
This book is great!! It is easy to follow and there are plenty of great color pictures.
Beth
Bought this today with a Christmas gift card. It's wonderful!
Natashi
I wish all cookbooks had step by step pictures like these!
Caitlin
Am so excited to start cooking from here. It looks amazing.
Sam
Great pics, but a little advanced for the likes of me.
Meherin
Mar 20, 2012 Meherin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: food lovers
Shelves: cookbooks
Fresh recipes with clear, step by step photos.
Danielle
This is what a cookbook should look like.
Arlyn
Arlyn marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Fresh & Easy: What to Cook & How to Cook It "Good Food": 101 Budget dishes - Triple-tested Recipes (Good Food 101) Good Food: 101 Healthy Eats: Triple-Tested Recipes The Good Food Cook Book: Over 650 Triple-tested Recipes for Every Occasion Good Food: 101 Teatime Treats: Triple-Tested Recipes