Start by marking “What to Cook and How to Cook It” as Want to Read:
What to Cook and How to Cook It

What to Cook and How to Cook It

Suitable for beginners, this cookbook shows how to cook easy, delicious meals for every day of the week. With a combination of step-by step-photographs, and foolproof recipes, it takes 100 favourite everyday dishes and guides the reader through different steps of the cooking process with recipes that anyone can follow.
Published September 1st 2010 by Phaidon Press

To ask other readers questions about What to Cook and How to Cook It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What to Cook and How to Cook It

Blog on Books
Jan 24, 2011 Blog on Books rated it really liked it
We can’t say enough about it – “What to Cook and How to Cook It” by Jane Hornby (Phaidon). First of all, Phaidon is mostly known as an art publisher, so that should tell you something about this book. Jane Hornby is the former food editor of the magazine BBC Good Food, but what is important here is the book itself. If you are looking for the best new book for cooking the basics, it’s hard to imagine a better find than Hornby’s. Why do we say that? Just look at it. “What to Cook and How to Cook I ...more
MrsJana13
May 31, 2015 MrsJana13 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read2013
Ein paar Zeilen zu beginn...

Ich habe dieses Buch im Laden gesehen und gedacht "sieht das toll aus". Ein Blick auf den Preis "puh fast 40 Euro". Trotzdem musste ich einen Blick hineinwagen. Was soll ich sagen? Dieser Blick hat mich überzeugt und dazu bewogen das Buch zu kaufen. Ob es sich gelohnt hat, erfahrt ihr jetzt in diesem Bericht.

Das Layout und der Aufbau des Buches...

Als erstes fiel mir das Cover auf. Es war in meinen Augen mal was anderes und innovativ. Oftmals sieht man auf dem Cover j
Wendy
Nov 15, 2010 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new cooks
Shelves: cookbooks, 2012-reads
Whenever I get bored with my usual repertoire of recipes, I browse cookbooks for inspiration. This beautiful cookbook caught my eye at the library and came home with me. Despite keeping it until it was almost $3.00 overdue, I didn't end up trying as many recipes as I wanted. The ones I did try turned out good, though.

The best part of this book is the pictures. The photos are gorgeous (don't you hate cookbooks that won't show you the food?) and shot from a top down perspective so that what you se
Kasia
Nov 29, 2011 Kasia rated it really liked it
This book is very attractive, as many reviewers have already said, with really great pictures of the ingredients and each stage of preparation. But what I like most is the selection of recipes. They include all the favourites, like lasagna and chocolate cake, but also have some more creatives dishes I hadn't heard of before. All of these are easy enough for a less-experienced cook but the best part is that they all look and taste impressive, so can be used for special occasions or dinner parties ...more
Pauline
Oct 30, 2011 Pauline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
My 13 year old son and I have started to learn how to cook. This book is our favourite. We have made loads of the recipes and they are all delicious. We love the photographs. We know what each step should look like and what we are aiming to achieve. The instructions are really easy to follow and the ingredients are all readily available and realistic. The cost is not extravagant. Infact if you want a cook book this is a must both to look at and own and to use as the recipes work. Highly recommen ...more
Jing
Jun 22, 2011 Jing rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this cookbook. The one thing I need most in a cookbook is pictures, so I can have at least a visual of what the dish is supposed to look like. This book does that and more. There are pictures of even the preparation and the ingredients themselves and the directions are short, but clear cut and understandable. I've already made about 15 of the 100 dishes and they have all been superb! The home-made pizza and panna cotta dessert were especially delicious. I love this cookbook and ...more
Julie
Feb 13, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Amazing! I want to try every single recipe! I've not come across such a phenomenon before. I have cookbooks on my shelves that contain trusted old favorite recipes & other that I pick & choose from, none of them do I like entirely. This is a book full of favorite foods! The recipes are well organized & clearly laid out. As for the step-by-step pictures, they are awesome! This one is going on my gift wish list!
Rupert Fenton
Mar 12, 2015 Rupert Fenton rated it it was amazing
I am very dyslexic this book is like a dream come true. Pictures, simplicity, order and failure proof. Most cook cooks I own I have made three or four recipes from - this about 70%. All have been successes. I have been a pretty serious home cook for over ten years - but I still get lots from it. I am evangelist of this book and others in the series. I have bullied 6 or 7 other people who have enjoyed the food from it into buying this book and will happily recommend to any level of cook.
Mar 15, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
I was about to write Hornby off as pretentious, but this cookbook is great! Very well-organized, great pics and the recipes are really family-friendly, yet sophisticated enough for people who aren't feeding kids. This is by far my favorite cookbook of hers - the only way to improve it would be to add nutritional information. It's also a little big/heavy, but it stays open on the counter-top. This would be a great shower gift, or house-warming present for someone who's newly on their own.
Jan Polep
Dec 19, 2010 Jan Polep rated it really liked it
You know I hate a cookbook that doesn't pictre what you're making? Not so with this book, big time. Steve and I both went through and put sticky notes on pages to copy and try and will report back. The tomato soup and margharetti pizza are first up. Book must weigh 15 pounds but the pictures are fantastic.
Tim Mckinstry
Apr 14, 2011 Tim Mckinstry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I love this book!

The cover design is awesome, the layout is beautiful, content is ordered by dish (breakfast, lunch, sidedish etc) and the step by step instructions (which are super easy to follow I might add) even feature photographs so you can see how your dish should look at each stage.

All I needed in a first cookbook, and more! Enough said, it's brilliant.
Jaime
Oct 26, 2014 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Other reviewers have stated it well… this is a great book to teach the basics of cooking and a good refresher course on some of the dishes I often forget to cook. The pictures are like individual pieces of art. I appreciated the simple and important message the book subtly gives, that cooking with fresh, colorful ingredients is not only healthy but delicious as well.
ReadingWench
Oct 03, 2010 ReadingWench rated it really liked it
By the title of this book, I thought it was a how to guide on how to cook different veggies and meat, it is not however. Its a general simple recipe book.

So far I have only glanced at this book, but its layout is fantastic, and recipes easy. I have made the Butterscotch Banana Bread. I did however have to adjust the recipe for high altitude. It turned out very well.

Cait
Apr 27, 2016 Cait rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I bought What to Bake and How to Bake it by Jane Hornby, and then I realized that she had this one and immediately bought it. The pictures are crisp and clear, and the instructions are laid out to make everything easy peasy. The dishes also, are beginner level but look good and appealing and taste good. An excellent book to have in your kitchen!
Carolin
Dec 13, 2010 Carolin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
Fantastic cook book! This book is a great intro for new cooks, but it's also a great addition to anybody who has been cooking for a while. I've made the Coq au Vin, the Beef Stew, French Toast with Stewed Plums and Bolognese so far. They all came out great.
April
Mar 18, 2012 April rated it it was amazing
A picture is worth a thousand words. Each step in the food making process is shown via a photo, along with a description of what that step entails. The recipes are extremely diverse and everything I have made has been delicious.
Liz De Coster
Jan 23, 2012 Liz De Coster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbies, food
I thought the visual approach for this cookbook was great. Everything looked really easy when laid out ingredient by ingredient, and pictures at various steps are helpful if you're not sure what dough should look like, how thick a sauce should be, etc.
Kym
Feb 16, 2015 Kym rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Jane Hornby takes basic cooking to a new level. This cookbook is filled with simple foods, beautiful step-by-step photos and easy-to-follow directions. Really, it is the only cookbook anyone might need. There is something for everyone in here.
Cherrinsy
Jun 09, 2014 Cherrinsy rated it it was amazing
Loves this book! It is amazing. Love the clear instructions along with the step-by-step photos.
Feb 02, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
LOVE THIS BOOK! full of pictures with how the food should look as you cook it. I have changed most of the recopies I've used, but i love the layout and the simplicity.
Brenda
Mar 07, 2013 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Love the step-by-step pictures. Every recipe I have made from this book has been delicious, and a hit with everyone in my house.
Megan
Jan 19, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginners
Beautiful pictures, great for beginners. Recipes are simple and basic but good.
kelli
Jan 02, 2011 kelli rated it it was amazing
This book has excellent detail on certain recipes. It makes cooking easy and fun. Cannot wait to get back in the kitchen to make more yummy stuff!
Carrie
Nov 14, 2010 Carrie rated it it was amazing
My kids love this cookbook because it has step by step illustrations and pictures if all the ingredients you will use.
Cynthia
Dec 16, 2011 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
This book is great!! It is easy to follow and there are plenty of great color pictures.
Andréa
Nov 14, 2012 Andréa rated it really liked it
Love the step-by-step photos for each recipe and the photo glossary -- makes it easy to figure out if you're doing it right!
Sushin Dahal
Jul 16, 2013 Sushin Dahal rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this cooking book! It's really nice how there are pictures of everything! Its makes it so much easier to understand what it is telling you to do!
Charity Scarborough
Charity Scarborough rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
stephanie
stephanie rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Sonja
Sonja rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
  • Breakfast, Lunch, Tea: The Many Little Meals of Rose Bakery
  • 1080 Recipes
  • Keys to Good Cooking: A Guide to Making the Best of Foods and Recipes
  • Leon: Naturally Fast Food: Book 2
  • Radically Simple: Brilliant Flavors with Breathtaking Ease: 325 Inspiring Recipes from Award-Winning Chef Rozanne Gold
  • Cooking
  • Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
  • Alice's Tea Cup: Delectable Recipes for Scones, Cakes, Sandwiches, and More from New York’s Most Whimsical Tea Spot
  • Bi-Rite Market's Eat Good Food: A Grocer's Guide to Shopping, Cooking & Creating Community Through Food
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys