Start by marking “Called To Question: A Spiritual Memoir” as Want to Read:
Called To Question:  A Spiritual Memoir

Called To Question: A Spiritual Memoir

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Called to Question is Sr. Joan Chittister's most personal and intense writing to date. Centered around a series of conversations with spiritual writers featured in her private journal, Sr. Joan looks at the common questions or dimensions of life as we know them in our daily lives-not answers as we've been given them-in an attempt to unravel their many meanings, to give the ...more
Hardcover
Published April 27th 2004 by Sheed & Ward (first published April 24th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Called To Question, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Called To Question

Mark
Joan Chittister is a hidden treasure. Very well known in some circles, virtually unheard of in others, this Benedictine nun from Erie is passionately dedicated to peace and reform of the Catholic Church from within. She has pushed the issue of ordaining women as priests enough that a diocesan official in Pittsburgh once threatened to withhold continuing education credits to anyone who attended a conference at which she was the keynote speaker. She has written many books, but this one charts the ...more
Pamela
This book came to me at a very low time for me, spiritually speaking. All around were telling me, some ordering me, to abandon my beliefs for a very conservative outlook. Ms. Chittister gave support that I wasn't "nuts" or blasphemous, but perhaps, further along a path, a path that was one God meant for me to take. Theologically solid, well-spoken, this book resounds with the approachability of the Psalms. I will be looking forward to reading more of her works.
G'angela
Joan is a spectacular author. This book is about the relationship between religion and spirituality with Joan supporting the spiritual side and personal relationship with God while breaking the bonds of religious dogma.
Tracy
This is a good book for taking a chapter-a-day approach. Chittister arranges it around personal journal entries over a 4-year period, but has also checked her themes of spirituality against those of an array of people to pick out some common issues: the environment, women & the institutional church, relationships, the difference between religion and spirituality, and the spirituality of daily life, to name a few. It's valuable to read the perspective of a woman whose life has been spent in t ...more
Covenant Presbyterian Springfield Ohio
Call Number: 271.97 C449C

Available.
JoAnn
This is a personal journey which many will relate to. There is a candid compelling thrust in this book that only allows the reader to read a few pages at a time.
Each time I picked it up, it gave me pause to be reflective on the thoughts shared by the author.
This is not a book that is a buzz through, as some of the thrillers are.
This is a conscious personal journey that makes the reader question the basic essence of who we are and why we are here!
K Kriesel
The highs and lows of this book are completely at random. Shallow and deep are the most common extremes, wavering between lovey fluff and academic theology. The worst lows were racist comparisons to second-wave white feminist theory.

I'm glad to have read this book, but I don't know that I would recommend it to anyone other than feminist-theology students.
Mary Mccarty
This is the first book of this author that I have read despite the fact that "Joan Chittister" was a highly honored person in my household when I was growing up. This book is giving me hope and has validated my Faith through the courage that Sr. Joan has demonstrated. Every paragraph requires reflection . It is thoughtful provoking and inspiring .
Rowlak5
Beautiful insight into a devoted follower's spiritual journey. In her constant contemplation and reflection on God's purpose in her creation, Chittister generously shares her journal, thus her life with us. So wise, rich, and incredibly thought provoking, I had to read small sections at a time to fully take it all in.
Evelyn
No question is off limits for Sr. Joan and her honesty and sincerity is refreshing. As a woman who represents the institutional church, she is not afraid to call the church out for hypocrisy especially in regard to women. I highly recommend for those who want to be challenged and think theologically deep.
Gina Marchini
Interesting thoughts from a woman who has thought about it all. I enjoyed reading this and thinking through the groundwork of my faith. A good book for taking notes and jotting ideas as you go!
Kara
So far, this book has been the right topic at the right time. Sister Joan is a lovely writer, whose ideas deserve far wider distribution.
Caitlin
Really great life-lessons on questioning faith, womanhood, and spiritual living. Interesting to learn more about Joan Chittister.
Lisse
May 20, 2010 Lisse marked it as to-read
Really good so far...I am impressed; this is my first Joan Chittister book although I've been wanting to read her for quite some time.
Kathleen
Oct 01, 2007 Kathleen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cat
This is a wonderful well written discussion on life as a spiritual person within an organized religion. Very truthful and true.
Joanne
I am loving this book. it puts into words exactly what my questions about religion are at this time.
Dare
Jan 05, 2010 Dare is currently reading it
Deepening spirituality. How to stand up for what you truly believe in.
Viola
This is the second time I am reading this...it inspires me greatly!
Matt
Just starting...looking for some hope as a liberal Catholic....
Hildy
Book on religion that offers great insight
Marianna
This book just didn't speak to me.
C
Excellent!
Donna Quathamer
One of her best.
Suzanne Moore
Suzanne Moore marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Nan
Nan is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2015
LenZ
LenZ marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Patt LaPierre
Patt LaPierre is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Walking a Literary Labryinth
  • Life in the Balance: A Physician's Memoir of Life, Love, and Loss with Parkinson's Disease and Dementia
  • Power Concedes Nothing: One Woman's Quest for Social Justice in America, from the Courtroom to the Kill Zones
  • The Palace of the Snow Queen: Winter Travels in Lapland
  • Don't Leave Me This Way: Or When I Get Back on My Feet You'll Be Sorry
  • Sorrow Mountain: The Journey of a Tibetan Warrior Nun
  • Scivias (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The Ice Museum: In Search of the Lost Land of Thule
  • The Prophets
  • North to the Orient
  • Flyaway: How A Wild Bird Rehabber Sought Adventure and Found Her Wings
  • Praying Our Goodbyes
  • The Church According to Paul: Rediscovering the Community Conformed to Christ
  • Losing My Mind: An Intimate Look at Life with Alzheimer's
  • The Women's Bible Commentary with Apocrypha (Expanded Edition)
  • Blindsided: Lifting a Life Above Illness: A Reluctant Memoir
  • Teresa of Ávila: An Extraordinary Life
  • Introduction to the Hebrew Bible
Wisdom Distilled from the Daily: Living the Rule of St. Benedict Today The Gift of Years: Growing Older Gracefully The Rule of Benedict: Insights for the Ages Scarred by Struggle, Transformed by Hope The Monastery of the Heart: An Invitation to a Meaningful Life