Start by marking “Called To Question: A Spiritual Memoir” as Want to Read:
Called To Question:  A Spiritual Memoir

Called To Question: A Spiritual Memoir

Called to Question is Sr. Joan Chittister's most personal and intense writing to date. Centered around a series of conversations with spiritual writers featured in her private journal, Sr. Joan looks at the common questions or dimensions of life as we know them in our daily lives-not answers as we've been given them-in an attempt to unravel their many meanings, to give the ...more
Hardcover
Published April 27th 2004 by Sheed & Ward (first published April 24th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Called To Question, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Called To Question

Mark
Aug 06, 2007 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
Joan Chittister is a hidden treasure. Very well known in some circles, virtually unheard of in others, this Benedictine nun from Erie is passionately dedicated to peace and reform of the Catholic Church from within. She has pushed the issue of ordaining women as priests enough that a diocesan official in Pittsburgh once threatened to withhold continuing education credits to anyone who attended a conference at which she was the keynote speaker. She has written many books, but this one charts the ...more
Pamela
Nov 04, 2009 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: journey-reads
This book came to me at a very low time for me, spiritually speaking. All around were telling me, some ordering me, to abandon my beliefs for a very conservative outlook. Ms. Chittister gave support that I wasn't "nuts" or blasphemous, but perhaps, further along a path, a path that was one God meant for me to take. Theologically solid, well-spoken, this book resounds with the approachability of the Psalms. I will be looking forward to reading more of her works.
Evelyn
Jun 30, 2013 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
No question is off limits for Sr. Joan and her honesty and sincerity is refreshing. As a woman who represents the institutional church, she is not afraid to call the church out for hypocrisy especially in regard to women. I highly recommend for those who want to be challenged and think theologically deep.
kristen
Nov 22, 2013 kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Beautiful insight into a devoted follower's spiritual journey. In her constant contemplation and reflection on God's purpose in her creation, Chittister generously shares her journal, thus her life with us. So wise, rich, and incredibly thought provoking, I had to read small sections at a time to fully take it all in.
G'angela
Jun 02, 2009 G'angela rated it it was amazing
Joan is a spectacular author. This book is about the relationship between religion and spirituality with Joan supporting the spiritual side and personal relationship with God while breaking the bonds of religious dogma.
Carly
"Indeed feminism changes the way we see everything, not just the way we relate to men. It changes what we value and what we seek. It changes the way we see ourselves as women. And it turns a critical -- and calloused -- eye on both state and church. After that there is no going back to "ladylike" docility or clerical worship. After that there is only God and me."

"After that there is only God and me."

This book often feels like God's presence, to me. Joan Chittister's spiritual musings stick with
Wendy
Jan 04, 2017 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-2016, 2017
One of my favorite quotes can be found in the paperback version of the book on page 217. It reads: When we learn to love life more than we love loving our pain, we become spiritually invincible. What part of life is there that can defeat us then? It is a wonderful book which I highly recommend.
 Doris Powell
Aug 23, 2015 Doris Powell rated it liked it
Sr. Chittister had some really good questions! She also had some really good quotes from other women, some I recognized, most I didn't. She didn't always agree with these women, but she always had a good answer. I liked her questioning about women, being a feminist at heart. Basically she said that we have a right to question anybody or any institution about why they do what they do. We have a right to seek the truth even if the question is unpleasant to the receiver. Sr. Chittister is a very go ...more
Tracy
Jan 17, 2008 Tracy rated it liked it
This is a good book for taking a chapter-a-day approach. Chittister arranges it around personal journal entries over a 4-year period, but has also checked her themes of spirituality against those of an array of people to pick out some common issues: the environment, women & the institutional church, relationships, the difference between religion and spirituality, and the spirituality of daily life, to name a few. It's valuable to read the perspective of a woman whose life has been spent in t ...more
JoAnn
May 30, 2010 JoAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a personal journey which many will relate to. There is a candid compelling thrust in this book that only allows the reader to read a few pages at a time.
Each time I picked it up, it gave me pause to be reflective on the thoughts shared by the author.
This is not a book that is a buzz through, as some of the thrillers are.
This is a conscious personal journey that makes the reader question the basic essence of who we are and why we are here!
Carol Wigent
Feb 13, 2015 Carol Wigent rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
I read this awhile ago, so details have faded; but, anything Joan Chittister has written is worth reading. I especially love this one because it dealt with issues I have been wrestling with myself. She has a lot of sage observations in her books, and this one is among the best I've read. It's an excellent book.
K Kriesel
Dec 23, 2013 K Kriesel rated it liked it
Shelves: feminism, religion
The highs and lows of this book are completely at random. Shallow and deep are the most common extremes, wavering between lovey fluff and academic theology. The worst lows were racist comparisons to second-wave white feminist theory.

I'm glad to have read this book, but I don't know that I would recommend it to anyone other than feminist-theology students.
Mary Mccarty
Dec 08, 2013 Mary Mccarty rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of this author that I have read despite the fact that "Joan Chittister" was a highly honored person in my household when I was growing up. This book is giving me hope and has validated my Faith through the courage that Sr. Joan has demonstrated. Every paragraph requires reflection . It is thoughtful provoking and inspiring .
Kara
Sep 27, 2008 Kara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: believe
So far, this book has been the right topic at the right time. Sister Joan is a lovely writer, whose ideas deserve far wider distribution.
Gina Marchini
Aug 11, 2007 Gina Marchini rated it it was amazing
Interesting thoughts from a woman who has thought about it all. I enjoyed reading this and thinking through the groundwork of my faith. A good book for taking notes and jotting ideas as you go!
Nan
Apr 10, 2015 Nan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best and one of the most influential books I've read in a long time. Thank you Sister Joan.
Joanne
Mar 10, 2010 Joanne rated it it was amazing
I am loving this book. it puts into words exactly what my questions about religion are at this time.
Kathleen
Oct 01, 2007 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cat
This is a wonderful well written discussion on life as a spiritual person within an organized religion. Very truthful and true.
Lisse
Feb 01, 2010 Lisse marked it as to-read
Really good so far...I am impressed; this is my first Joan Chittister book although I've been wanting to read her for quite some time.
Katie
Jun 04, 2014 Katie rated it it was amazing
Wonderful essays from a great spiritual teacher. I really enjoyed it and will be reading more of her books.
Caitlin
Jun 27, 2013 Caitlin rated it liked it
Really great life-lessons on questioning faith, womanhood, and spiritual living. Interesting to learn more about Joan Chittister.
Nicole Anderson
Nicole Anderson rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Lola Brown
Lola Brown rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 03, 2011
Audra Jenkins
Audra Jenkins rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Janet
Janet rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2014
Kristy
Kristy rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Terry Zimmer
Terry Zimmer rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Walking a Literary Labyrinth
  • Daughter of Fire: A Diary of a Spiritual Training with a Sufi Master
  • Sorrow Mountain: The Journey of a Tibetan Warrior Nun
  • Life in the Balance: A Physician's Memoir of Life, Love, and Loss with Parkinson's Disease and Dementia
  • The Palace of the Snow Queen: Winter Travels in Lapland
  • Power Concedes Nothing: One Woman's Quest for Social Justice in America, from the Courtroom to the Kill Zones
  • Don't Leave Me This Way: Or When I Get Back on My Feet You'll Be Sorry
  • The Ice Museum: In Search of the Lost Land of Thule
  • Scivias (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Praying Our Goodbyes