The Bird's Christmas Carol

The Bird's Christmas Carol

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  501 ratings  ·  103 reviews
It was very early Christmas morning and in the stillness of the dawn, with the soft snow falling' on the housetops, a little child was born in the Bird household. They had intended to name the haby Lucy, if it wrere a girl; but they had not expected her on Christmas morning, and a real Christmas baby was not to be lightly named - the whole family agreed in that.
Published December 7th 2006 by Book Jungle (first published 1886)

To ask other readers questions about The Bird's Christmas Carol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bird's Christmas Carol

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
56th out of 622 books — 808 voters
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumThe Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
Children's Lit Before 1923
67th out of 212 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

This brings back a treasured memory for me. One Christmas Eve when I could not get to sleep I wandered into another room to find my older sister and mom wrapping Christmas presents. My mom pulled out this book, The Bird's Christmas Carol and we spent the next two hours listening to her read this bittersweet tale. By four a.m. all three of us had dissolved into tears. This book does remind me of a Dickens novel although it does not have any evil characters as is typical of his books. It is utterl...more
Amy
To my surprise and elation, I found this book while rummaging through still-packed boxes in my office! What luck! I've read it twice this month; it's a breeze to get through. You could probably find the text online. My favorite site for such a thing is Project Gutenburg.com.

It's full of heart-warming Victorian charm, old-fashioned dialect, and it has a wonderfully bittersweet ending. You'll cry when you read it, but you'll be better for the effort.

And besides, what else would you expect from the...more
Rebecca
I love this book and I read it every Christmas. My aunt read it to me as a child. I bet I have given out 50 or more copies of this book. Read it this Christmas
Tarissa
My new favorite Christmas story!! Truly, I'd recommend it to all ages. The story is simple, created for children, but it's one of those tales that any age could be warmed by the morals upheld.

"It was very early Christmas morning, and in the stillness of the dawn, with the soft snow falling on the house-tops, a little child was born in the Bird household...."

Carol Bird is a Christmas child. She grows up, even sickly and bedridden, always honoring Christ on His birthday first, even though it is he...more
Katie
I'm embarrassed to admit that I keep reading this silly, sweet, sentimental book. Also that I cry over it every damn time. It is a very nice book.

Like many authors of her time, Wiggin makes good use of that familiar trope, Victorian Too Good To Live Syndrome, so useful for reforming the wicked and reuniting the lost. In this case, of course, there are no really wicked people, only some ordinarily naughty little boys and some grownups who need to pay more attention to the poor; no lost people, on...more
Heidi
Dec 22, 2009 Heidi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Heidi by: LaDawn
I have planned for years to read this, ever since my mother lovingly told me its story when I was younger. (Perhaps young teen, or pre-teen.) Somehow I thought it was a recent publication when she told it to me. But it's over 100 years old. As sweet a story as my mom summarized it to be. A good one to remind us of service, selflessness, and loving others. It can be read all the year long, but it was special for me to read it during this holiday season.

P.S. We can look at me reading this in honor...more
Lauren Stoolfire
This excellent yet heartbreakingly bittersweet Christmas tale is available to listen to through USF Lit2Go. By the end, I was blinking the mist out of my eyes. Carol is a saint-like as she can be, but unfortunately she has been bedridden and weak for most of her young life. She holds true to the real spirit of the Christmas holiday. Although she brings much joy to her family and friends, they know it won't last forever as her health worsens.

The only thing that bothered me is that her parents do...more
Lisa
Sappy? Yes! Melodramatic? Absolutely! Predicatable? Sure, but the better for it. Sometimes it takes a sweet, little book to remind us what is special and dear about the Holiday season. I enjoyed this book, it made me cry and made me appreciate what I have to be thankful for. I'd like to be remembered as a "Christmas Carol!"
Cheryl in CC NV
I think this story became a classic among children, not because of the sappy heroine Carol and her story, but because of the humor of getting Ruggles children ready for the party, and the description of said party and the feast. Interesting how my library has held on to it.
Connie Harkness
This book means Christmas to me. It will always be linked with my favorite memories of my mother.
One thing not mentioned in the other reviews is the beautiful pictures.
I think this book may be what made such a reader out of me.
Catherine
One of my favorite favorites. I got it from Aunt Susan many years ago, and I probably still read it every other Christmas.
Angela
Good for a REALLY quick book club read. But not a whole lot to talk about, just a feel good Christmas story.
Juergen John Roscher
Jgrace
The Birds’ Christmas Carol – Kate Douglas Wiggins
3 stars

I satisfied my curiosity about this book with a free kindle download. It is a 19th century Hallmark Christmas special, and has nothing whatever to do with actual birds. Carol Bird (so called because she was born on Christmas Day) is a bed-ridden dying child with a saintly, generous nature. As her life is clearly ending, her one wish is to provide a lavish Christmas celebration for the poor Irish immigrant family that she is able to observe...more
Gale
A TRUE CHRISTMAS ANGEL!

This sentimental gem by the author of Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm glows with familial warmth and the true spirit of Christmas. A frail ten-year-old girl named Carol (because she was born on Christmas Day and her mother heard the carols from the church next door) plans a memorable Christmas for a poor family of 9 children who live in the back alley. Carol wants nothing for herself this year, since she feels already blessed by the riches of love from her own family.

Quaintly...more
Bev Hankins
The Birds' Christmas Carol (1886) is a very sweet short novel written by Kate Douglas Wiggin and illustrated by Katharine R. Wireman. It centers around Carol Bird--originally destined to be named Lucy until she arrived unexpectedly on Christmas. She grows to be an exceptionally happy, loving, and generous girl--despite the fact that she is diagnosed with an unspecified illness at age five and is bedridden by the time she is ten. As the story says, "perhaps because she was born in holiday time, c...more
Phillip
Tiny Tim has a dear an noble counterpart in the character of Carol Bird, the well-to-do, but sickly American girl whose good heart lies as the centerpiece of Kate Douglas Wiggins Christmas classic. Not so much of a novel as it is a literary bonbon reminiscent of the Lord's parable of the banquet prepared for the poor rather than the gentry.

The only weakness I find in this pleasant tale is the sentimentality surrounding nearly everything to do about Carol. Once the reader accepts this as the lite...more
Leah Good
3.5 stars.

Carol Bird, born on Christmas day, suffers from a terminal illness. On the Christmas that is also to be her 10th birthday, she asks to honor Christ's birthday by giving her Christmas to the poor children next door.

This book reminded me of Little Lord Fauntleroy in many ways. Of course, Cedric wasn't an invalid, but he and Carol share similar personalities. I found parts of this book slightly boring, but it's short enough that it didn't matter too much. And the ending is sweet and sad a...more
CatholicBibliophagist
I didn't like this any better than I did when I first read it as a youngster.
(view spoiler)...more
Christie
This is such an amazing story that embodies what the spirit of Christmas is and always should be about. I read this every year with my mother before Christmas while growing up. It's been over 30 years since I read it last. The heartwarming story brought tears to my eyes. The Bird family and their remarkable youngest daughter Carol, born on Christmas day, have everything that they could ask for except the health of young Carol. In spite of Carol's illness, or perhaps because of it, the family's l...more
Tracey
I first heard this book when a teacher read it to us in elementary school. I'm sure the teacher cried; it has a very sad ending but it's a wonderful story of the goodness of people and what they can do to remain in others' hearts. It can sound kind of too sugary-sweet, but if you consider it was written in 1887 for children, it's easier to take. I bought this book as an adult when I happened upon it in a book store. I read it then, and have read it again more recently. It's a short tale, very mo...more
Libby Ames
This Christmas classic tells the story of the Bird family and their youngest daughter Carol. Born on Christmas Day, Carol has a loving nature and a giving heart. However, she also suffers from chronic illness. For her tenth birthday, Carol’s one wish is to give a proper Christmas to their less fortunate neighbors. A sweet story of giving, but be aware of a tender and bittersweet ending.

My mom read this to us each Christmas as we were growing up. We loved it, but always finished in tears.
Josiah
Oh. My...
This story rocked my soul as very few books have ever come close to doing. It is right up there among the very greatest masterpieces of literature that I have ever read. The heartrending but so very simple content drives this book invisibly with a power that is simply unsurpassed (and perhaps unmatched) by any other author. The Birds' Christmas Carol belongs on the shelf with the greatest stories ever imagined for younger readers. It is an inspiration unlike any other.
Danielle
This was cute...a really quick read and a fun old fashioned book. It reminded me very much of the style of writing in Frances Hodgson Burnett's Little Lord Fauntleroy. If you have read it you will know what I mean. Very charming and very idealistic- the children are angels, the mother's a 'dear heart' and the conversations and settings are picturesque and lovely. We are reading it for next weeks book group and it is a good one to read for Christmas.
Frances Sawaya
Actually my first encounter with this book and the author was when I was in first grade and my grandmother read it to me at Christmas. Did I cry! Over the years I read it to myself several times and it always had huge impact for me, perhaps more as a nostalgia piece than as an actual bit of world class literature. It seemed to embody the message of the season, i.e., giving. Though I found other Wiggin books a bit much, they did keep me reading!
Marci
This story is at the height of nineteenth-century sentimentality, but since it's a short Christmas book, that's okay. The little heroine, Carol Bird, is a saint-like invalid who epitomizes charity in a sweet tale that will generally wring your tears, especially if you are reading it late Christmas eve. And if you have ever had a saint-like invalid child in your house at Christmas time, it rings warmly true.
Danmcgohan
First had this short story read to me by Mrs. Lehman, my fufth grade teacher. It is every bit good as I remembered. Quick read, about an hour. Story of a sick girl's interaction with her family and a neighborhood family. Warm, emotional, funny and spiritual. Probably not a story that could be read in today's classroom. I will read it to my grandchildren this Christmas and hope they will remember it as I did.
Chris
Sweet little holiday story about a girl born on Christmas Day, named Carol for the carols being sung by the choir on the day of her birth. She grows to be a kind, gentle, and giving child but she's also sickly, barely able to leave her bed. Her amusement is the 9 Ruggles children whom she can see from her window. For her 8th Christmas, Carol decides to throw a dinner party for the rambunctious Ruggleses.
Kathryn
Kate Douglas Wiggin wrote Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm along with many other book, this little book one of them. A wonderful story of a little girl, Carol, born on Christmas day. I loved it.
Ellee
This was a very "nice" book. A little too moralistic for me as an adult, but I bet I would have liked it as a kid. Nice sentiment, but the heroine is just to saccharine for me. I think I liked to think (as a little girl) that I would be this kind, generous creature, but I also really looked up to Pippi Longstocking and other trouble-making heroines, so who knows.. :)
  • Miracle on 34th Street
  • The Story of Holly and Ivy
  • The Little Drummer Boy
  • The House Without a Christmas Tree
  • Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons
  • Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury
  • The Joy of a Peanuts Christmas: 50 Years of Holiday Comics!
  • Night Tree
  • The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
  • The Twenty-Four Days Before Christmas (Austin Family, #3)
  • Great Joy
  • Red Ranger Came Calling
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Santa Mouse
  • The Christmas Letters
  • Christmas in Noisy Village
  • The Hurricane Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #54)
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
Kate Douglas Smith Wiggin

Kate Douglas Wiggin, nee Smith (1856-1923) was an American children's author and educator. She was born in Philadelphia, and was of Welsh descent. She started the first free kindergarten in San Francisco in 1878 (the "Silver Street Free Kindergarten"). With her sister in the 1880s she also established a training school for kindergarten teachers. Her best known books are Th...more
More about Kate Douglas Wiggin...
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm Mother Carey's Chickens The Romance of a Christmas Card New Chronicles of Rebecca A Cathedral Courtship

“It is very funny, but you do not always have to see people to love them. Just think about it, and see if it isn't so.” 16 likes
“Please drop a note to the clerk of the weather, and have a good, rousing snow-storm -- say on the twenty-second. None of your meek, gentle, nonsensical, shilly-shallying snow-storms; not the sort where the flakes float lazily down from the sky as if they didn't care whether they ever got here or not, and then melt away as soon as they touch the earth, but a regular business-like whizzing, whirring, blurring, cutting snow-storm, warranted to freeze and stay on! ” 2 likes