Start by marking “A Death in Vienna (Gabriel Allon, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Death in Vienna (Gabriel Allon, #4)

A Death in Vienna (Gabriel Allon #4)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  14,175 Ratings  ·  646 Reviews

While there he encounters something that turns his whole life upside down.

Published August 4th 2005 by Penguin (first published November 12th 2003)

The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréTinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick ForsythThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Espionage
95th out of 718 books — 849 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerThe Maltese Falcon by Dashiell HammettMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Detective Fiction
151st out of 798 books — 931 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbara
Sep 29, 2015 Barbara rated it liked it

Multi-lingual Israeli spy/art restorer Gabriel Allon is restoring a painting in Venice when a bomb destroys the 'Wartime Claims and Inquiries Office' in Vienna, Austria. Gabriel's friend Eli Lavon is badly wounded and Eli's staff is killed. When Gabriel travels to Vienna to investigate he meets an elderly Holocaust survivor who claims that a prominent, wealthy, local businessman - Ludwig Vogel - is really a Nazi war criminal named Erich Radek.

Before long the elderly Holocaust survivor
Susan Kelley
Set across Europe and in Israel, A Death in Vienna is a spy tale intent on righting some of the wrongs of The Holocaust. Part-time spy Gabriel Allon is sent to Vienna by The Office (think CIA, but deadlier) to investigate a bombing at the Wartime Claims and Inquiries office. Following clues to the identity of a Nazi officer, Gabriel travels the globe with an assassin hot on his tail.

While this book was very interesting, and I learned more about the atrocities of the Nazis, I can't say it was ri
Nuno Peralta
A minha estreia com Daniel Silva e fiquei conquistado. Já andava há algum tempo para o ler, mas foi sempre ficando para segundo plano. Agora que, por razões profissionais, conheci Viena, achei por bem pegar neste livro. Em boa hora o fiz! História com cabeça, tronco e membros, ficção mas com um fio condutor agarrado à História real e personagens muito bem conseguidas.
E agora, já sei que se seguem os restantes livros de Gabriel Allon... :)
Jake
Sep 16, 2011 Jake rated it really liked it
Shelves: espionage
The final work in Daniel Silva's Nazi troika of the Gabriel Allon canon (along with my favorite "The English Assassin" and "The Confessor") is another steady read. What I appreciated about this one is that there isn't as much over-the-top violence or romance, rather a gradual build up to the conclusion (which I still can't decide if I liked or not but I liked the book enough to forgive). Silva writes intelligent thrillers and yet they are very well-paced and readable. I've got the next book in ...more
Zbegniew
Dec 21, 2012 Zbegniew rated it really liked it
Shelves: espionage
This is 4th novel featuring the protagonist Gabriel Allon, a semi-retired Mossad agent whose day job is now as one of the world's foremost art restorers. The story starts in Venice and includes stops in Argentina, Israel and Munich but as the title suggests it mostly revolves around characters and events in Vienna. The plot concerns a former SS member who has changed his identity and now seeks to bring his hard right-wing brand of politics to Austria. It deals with Austria's lingering ...more
Maria Carmo
Sep 12, 2016 Maria Carmo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
These are books that are excellently written, albeit a bit repetitive... Like a cook who found a good recipe and just uses it with slight alterations. Of course it is enthusing and full of suspense, well written and researched... I am going to go on reading the Allon series and I am sure that I will still find cause to give four stars again.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 12 September 2016.
Mafs Antárrr Tida
This was a good (literary) surprise and a tough reminder that sometimes fiction is a classroom for reality.
Very well-researched and appealing, it got me hooked from almost the begging. Although it got me on my nerves a couple of times by objectifying female tertiary female characters, I'll never forget the intense story of Gabriel's mother on that death march from the nazi concentration camp and how she represents lots of strong women and people who had to endure the horrors of Holocaust.

I'm de
Jimmy Osorio
Jul 22, 2016 Jimmy Osorio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Algumas passagens de Morte em Viena:

"Ele nunca se lembrou de ter ouvido a explosão. Reveka e Sarah foram engolidas numa bola de fogo e, em seguida, projetadas pela onda de choque. A porta explodiu para fora. Lavon foi erguido como um brinquedo, com os braços escanchados e costas arqueadas como um ginasta. O seu voo foi como num sonho. Sentiu-se virar e virar novamente. Não teve memória do impacto. Apenas sabia que estava deitado de costas sobre a neve, numa tempestade de vidros partidos."

"O rost
Susan
Oct 08, 2007 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: spynovels
Though Israeli agent Gabriel Allon's unraveling of the mystery behind the bombing of an aged Nazi-hunter's office keeps the reader turning pages, its real value lies in the haunting story that is told about Gabriel's mother. This novel is most compelling--and painful to read--when author Daniel Silva uses it to shed more light on Nazi crimes during the Holocaust. I hadn't known, for example, that Austria had been particularly fertile ground for Nazi recruitment (though it shouldn't be ...more
Sandi
Nicely done espionage fiction, featuring art restorer and former Israeli agent Gabriel Allon. The plot deftly mixed historical facts and globe trotting action. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by John Lee who did an excellent job with all different character's nationalities.
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
4th in the Gabriel Allon series.[return][return]Gabriel Allon is an Israeli Secret Service agent who  poses as Mario Delvecchio, a very well-known and highly respected art restorer. At the moment, he is working in Venice, and living with his lover Chiara. But Gabriel s life is not his own; he owes his allegiance to Israel and to Ari Shamron, the Old Man of the Israeli Secret Service. Whenever Shamron appears, Gabriel embarks on a mission of death to track down and kill those responsible for ...more
William Bentrim
Aug 14, 2016 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing
A Death In Vienna by Daniel Silva

Another extraordinarily detailed action adventure this book takes place not long after The Confessor. It is a more detailed delving into the Holocaust.

This review is sadly repetitious of the previous review of The Confessor. The Kill Artist and The Heist and finally The Mark of the Assassin read way back in 2009 all illustrate the style of Silva as well as the character Gabriel Allon, an Israeli assassin. This book holds true to the style and as the others keeps
Shawn
Sep 09, 2013 Shawn rated it it was amazing
The previous two Allon novels and this one sort of form a trilogy with a focus on the Holocaust. The complicity of the Swiss and the Church are the focus of the first two. This one focuses on the broader complicity of many other countries evident in the post-war world. What makes this particular novel stand out is the detailed point of view of Holocaust survivors. This is integral to the plot; it provides the motivations for many of the characters and it causes the reader to feel the need for ...more
Tita
Apr 09, 2009 Tita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meus, livros-2009
Neste livro, Gabriel é enviado para Viena para investigar um atentado à organização de Eli Lavon, um velho amigo, que vitimou duas funcionárias e deixou o amigo em estado crítico.
No seguimento das pistas, Gabriel é assombrado por um rosto familiar, mas desagradável nesta sua busca, descobre acontecimentos relatados pela sua própria mãe, durante o Holocausto.

É um livro mais cruel, com passagens bastante reais do Holocausto, tais como, relatos sobre o que acontecia nos campos de concentração, um p
Paula
Mar 01, 2009 Paula rated it really liked it
This is a story of a Nazi war criminal hunt. It is another viewpoint of the horrors inflicted upon the jews during the Nazi regime.
Interesting to me in this story is the suggestion of the Vatican's involvement in helping Austrian and German war criminals escape capture and aiding them in disappearing into another identity mainly in South America, Argentina heading the list at the time of Peron's administration.
I understand this book is one of a series about Gabriel, the main Israeli hunter in t
Mukundan Srinivasan
A complete, pacy and riveting spy thriller. Gabriel Allon is sent to investigate a murder attempt on his friend (much like "The Confessor"). First few pages were smoggy kind but picked up pace once it started to travel in the path of exposing a mass murderer of Jews during the Nazi regime who is living under false identity. After nail biting twists, turns and travel, the climax was also appropriate. Cannot put this book down. I'm sad that I finished reading this book. Eager to read more of ...more
Gary
Jul 25, 2015 Gary rated it really liked it
The 4th book in the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva. This series is getting better and better as the characters develop and more sub plots are related. This spy series is different to my normal Mystery Thriller genre but rarely fails to deliver. The stories are full of action and intrigue and delivered at a break neck pace and I don't think it will be that long before I start his next instalment.
Dana
Jul 06, 2008 Dana rated it really liked it
I wouldn't have picked up this author, except my mom left one (The Secret Servant - which I loved) at my house. This is my 2nd book with Gabriel Allon, Israeli spy, as the main character. The theme of this (it's part of a series, I've learned) has to do with WWII/Holocaust, specifically the surfacing of a Nazi war criminal in Austria. The writing is very good and the storyline kept me intrigued the whole time.
Becky
Feb 14, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it
Love Silva and Gabriel Allon. This is book 4 in the series but you don't need to read them in order. Complex plots, complex characters, plenty of intrigue. Good guys who sometimes/often wonder if the end really does justify the means. Evil guys willing to take any approach to get what they want without any remorse or regret. Despite death, evil, tragedy, and sorrow, the good guys always prevail. Silva writes a great journey for them and their foes.

Time to choose another Allon tale.
Kerry
Jun 21, 2014 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding. A remarkable adventure that brings to life the horrible pain and suffering of the Holocaust victims and their families. The last in Silva's trilogy related to the Holocaust a necessary journey.
Anne Germana
An ugly time in history

The second world war and especially the sorrowful Holocaust history is something we must never forget. Any attempt to eradicate an entire race must be met with strong g resistance. This book was impossible to put down.
Alan Cook
Oct 09, 2015 Alan Cook rated it it was amazing
All Daniel Silva's books are packed with action, but this one is especially important because it includes a lot of history about what the Nazis did to the Jews during World War II.
Fernando Coutinho
Nov 16, 2016 Fernando Coutinho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muito, muito bom.
Para quem gosta de livros de espiões, bom livro.
Para quem gosta de livros relacionados com o Holocausto, bom livro.
Este é um mix :)

Recomendo!
Lynda Markham
May 28, 2012 Lynda Markham rated it liked it
great history lesson on the holocaust. Easy read, I started this a while back and don't know why I never finished it, so I completed it this year. Some parts were a bit depressing and graphic.
Carla Geraldes
Mar 08, 2016 Carla Geraldes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trocados
Mais um livro que não desiludiu.
Mark Easter
Jul 19, 2015 Mark Easter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Art restorer and spy Gabriel Allon is sent to Vienna to discover the truth behind a bombing which killed an old friend - a Nazi hunter. While there he encounters something that turns his whole life upside down. Each fact he uncovers only leads to more questions until finally a picture emerges which is more terrible than he could have ever imagined - a portrait of evil stretching across 60 years and thousands of lives into his own personal nightmares.

Amazon.com Review

Product Description
Art res

Julie
Nov 06, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read as I was traveling in Austria as it brought up so many locations I was visiting. The book was a very entertaining - murder, mystery, all surrounded by events of people who worked as Nazi's in their past. The only part was the characters were confusing because there were quite a few different characters and most of them went by several different "code" or "spy" names. I should have taken notes as I was reading. However, very suspenseful and "relevant" to my trip.
Meredith Estes
Nov 14, 2016 Meredith Estes rated it really liked it
Another well written Gabriel Allon novel. I enjoyed this story as well as the others I have read, which follows the trail of a possible Nazi war criminal in hiding. This one included some detailed descriptions of the camps and death marches, which were difficult to read (but that was the point). Reading about how these criminals escaped Germany and prosecution makes me want to read more about the real cases on which this was based.
Arye
Oct 27, 2016 Arye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hooked on G Allon!

Great quick read! The author was able to make me angry at the Nazis and all those that aired them, you know who I am talking about! I know it is a fictional work but the parts that were true, the Shoah, added to the intrigue of the book. I wanted justice and not sure if I got it? Good Book and great characters!
Ben Connelly
Nov 28, 2016 Ben Connelly rated it it was amazing
Best of the series so far - Silva gives us a deep glimpse into his hero's personal life, while expanding the geography of this adventure further than he's ever gone before. Intense, even emotional at moments, and of course a quck-moving, adventurous story with well-placed twists.
Around the World ...: Discussion for A Death in Vienna 10 63 Dec 15, 2012 07:23PM
  • The Ghost War (John Wells, #2)
  • Redemption Games (John Rain, #4)
  • The Last Patriot (Scot Harvath, #7)
  • Spy (Alexander Hawke, #4)
  • The Nearest Exit (The Tourist, #2)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • The Hunted
  • The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3)
  • Allah's Scorpion (Kirk McGarvey #11)
Daniel Silva was born in Michigan in 1960 and raised in California where he received his BA from Fresno State. Silva began his writing career as a journalist for United Press International (UPI), traveling in the Middle East and covering the Iran-Iraq war, terrorism and political conflicts. From UPI he moved to CNN, where he eventually became executive producer of its Washington-based public ...more
More about Daniel Silva...

Gabriel Allon (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1)
  • The English Assassin (Gabriel Allon, #2)
  • The Confessor (Gabriel Allon, #3)
  • Prince of Fire (Gabriel Allon, #5)
  • The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6)
  • The Secret Servant (Gabriel Allon, #7)
  • Moscow Rules (Gabriel Allon, #8)
  • The Defector (Gabriel Allon, #9)
  • The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon, #10)
  • Portrait of a Spy (Gabriel Allon, #11)

“The Germans are fond of saying that only Austria could convince the world that Beethoven was an Austrian and Hitler was a German.” 2 likes
“Aktion 1005,” 0 likes