Start by marking “Darkness Unbound (Dark Angels, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darkness Unbound (Dark Angels, #1)

Darkness Unbound (Dark Angels #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,041 Ratings  ·  477 Reviews
Born from a lab-enhanced clone mother and an Aedh father, Risa Jones can not only talk to the souls of the dying and the dead, but she can see reapers and walk the grey fields that divide this world from the next. When her mother asks her to help the parents of a little girl locked in a coma, what she discovers terrifies her.
Published October 29th 2011 by Bantam Dell (Random House) (first published September 1st 2011)

Felicia
So I guess this is a spinoff from the Riley Jensen series (which I really enjoyed for several installments, then stopped reading because I got frustrated with the main character and her wolf problems). ANYHOO, I walked into this one with somewhat less backstory than a spin-off-savvy read would have, but I felt like I was along for the ride enough that I wasn't lost. The world is interesting and the bad guys were motivated and some twists at the end were pretty awesome. I liked her friends too.

I
⊱ Irena ⊰
Riley Jenson Guardian is one of my favourite urban fantasy series. Unlike some authors, Keri Arthur managed to keep Riley tough and awesome for nine books. I love the world, I love its politics, its problems, its heroes and villains, various rules and all those different races and beings that inhabit it.
So I knew Dark Angels had some big shoes to fill. I will be able to see just how well it does that after I finish this series too since it's not fair to judge it by one book compared to the nin
Julie
Sep 27, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Posted at http://yummymenandkickasschicks.com/?...

Darkness Unbound is the first book in Keri Arthur’s newest series, Dark Angels. I have not read this author before but I am aware that her Riley Jensen series appears on many favorite lists. Therefore, when I found out that Keri was writing a new series that takes place in the same world as her Riley books, I jumped on the chance to give it a try. And after reading this book and finally experiencing this author’s writing, I can see why she has su
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
May 11, 2012 ♥ Ashleigh ♥ contrary to popular belief im not actually mad! rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: dnf
Keri Arthur is clearly a talented author and i enjoy reading her writing - she would be one of those wonderful/magical writers that can utterly suck you into there "world" if only it wasnt for her sucky-ass characters! they just ruin everything!

let me give you an example,

The apparent main male character rocks up wearing nothing but jeans and a sword that perfectly frames his chiseled good looks and wicked tattoo.... seriously?? thats how your going to introduce your male character?? WTF.
and to m
Amber I. (AwesomeSauce Book Club)
I loved Darkness Unbound! I think I am going to be just as addicted to this series as the Riley Jenson ones.

Risa is just as kick ass as Riley is. We haven't seen her since she was a little girl but Risa is all grown up now and I LOVE her! This book was seriously so addictive, I didn't want to stop reading it. Its packed with some awesome and unique supernatural characters, a few sexy men ( I am loving the reaper) lots of action and mystery and a few heart breaking moments. I am so excited to r
Shera (Book Whispers)
After finishing Riley Jenson's series I immediately looked towards the Dark Angels series. After all it follows the grown up Risa from Riley's books! Definitely a character that would be worthy of having her own series! After chatting with a friend she told me that “Risa slut shames Riley!” Riley's sexuality and overall owning of it is what I loved about her books. And there was no way that I'd read about a character slut shaming my girl Riley. Years later chatting with another Goodreads friend ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

I worried that Risa Jones would not live up to her Aunt Riley.

I should never have doubted Arthur. Loyal and new readers alike will love the Dark Angels series.

Risa is such an amazing heroine that I instantly loved. Now twenty-eight years old, Risa isn’t the little girl we know from the Riley Jensen series. Arthur has made a fun, kick-ass heroine who possesses wit, intelligence and determination that I admired.

Risa is half werewolf and half Aedh which allows her to s
Pamela / SpazP
Oct 20, 2011 Pamela / SpazP rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Originally posted at WickedLilPixie Reviews
4.5 Stars
New Keri Arthur fans and old ones alike are going to love this new series.
Risa Jones is half-werewolf and half-Aedh, enabling her to enter the realm between life and death. She can also see the reapers who collect the souls of the dead. Reapers are the beings who guide souls to heaven or hell, while the Aedh are the gatekeepers guard the gates between heaven and hell and mortality. Either the gatekeepers are no longer able to guard the gates, o
Shalisha
I am disappointed in this book. I went into it expecting to read a new story - not another story about Riley. Now - do not get me wrong, love, love Riley - but I thought her story had ended. Not only did she play too big of a role in the story, i.e. moms friend, my play aunt etc, but she also played too big of a role in the story. Really - Rissa is just mini-Riley. All of her values, mores and desires imitated every one that I read in Ms. Jensens story...not what I was looking to read.

Big fan o
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Ms. Arthur,

Great book. Loved it. Great urban fantasy. Besides being a great UF writer, you also have a very vivid naughty mind. Love that about you and your books. Now one request please...

I'm not going to even request it outright...let's see if we can figure it out...

Liander, Ilianna, Liana

Riley, Rhoan, Ronan

Really, seriously, I love your books so I'm willing to forgive the crazy name thing you have.

Sincerely,

a fan

VampireNovelFan
FBS (First Book Syndrome) strikes again!

I will start off by saying that I have not read Keri Arthur's original Riley Jenson series. I honestly went into this thinking it was the beginning of a new series, not a spin-off of 9 prior novels. Maybe that's why it was hard to really get into this book and into this world, but I did try. The leading lady of the Dark Angels series is Risa Jones, a psychic Aedh/werewolf hybrid whose day job involves running a restaurant with her buddies, but her most i
Valerie ~ Val Hall ~
First book in the Dark Angels series takes place several years after the Riley Jensen Guardian series, based in Melbourne, Australia.

The child that was introduced in the Riley Jensen series has grown up. 20 years later Risa Jones is making a comfortable living as a partner in a very trendy restaurant, RYT’s, catering to the sup community. Risa has made some long time friends and roommate in the form of Iliana, a horseshifter and Tao, a werewolf fire-starter in a converted high tech warehouse.
Ris
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I hadn't realized how much I'd missed Keri Arthur's writing until I read Darkness Unbound. I absolutely adored her Riley Jensen Guardian series. In fact, I was one of those crazed fans lining up at the bookstore every time a new installment was published. Yeah, they're that good. It came as no surprise to me when I gobbled up the first Dark Angels book in one day. What an unbelievable story, packed with enamoring characters and unparalleled story telling! Thank goodness t
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)
The Good
Maybe something is wrong with me because I just couldn't get into this book but many seem to have liked it. But this is the good part of my review, so let's start with that.

We meet Risa as a baby and then child in the Riley Jenson series. I was super excited for Risa to have her own series because her character always interested me. She was a little freaky and adorable at the same time. And anyone who has read the Riley Jenson series knows that Arthur can write an amazing book. So suffi
Heather Book Savvy Babe
I read Keri Arthur's Riley Jensen series last year, and I loved that series. I was sad when Riley's stories ended, so when I saw that Keri Arthur had started a spin-off series, I jumped on the chance to read Darkness Unbound. I have to say, I think I like this Dark Angels series even better than the Riley Jensen series.

Creating a world that is dark, sensual, and full of powerful supernatural beings, Keri Arthur strikes gold with Darkness Unbound, the first novel in her new Dark Angels series.

In
Fabienne Gilbert
I am so happy that I went back and re-read this series, not only and I in love with the characters but I could happily read it over and over again. With this book I like how it has the series running plot and then an investigative case which runs along side. Plus before I say anything else where the hell can I find myself my own sexy ass reaper? And can someone find a way to get rid of Lucian, I'm not his biggest fan to say the least.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the story line with the soul stealer
Danielle (Danniegurl)
Jun 06, 2016 Danielle (Danniegurl) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who love Riley Jenson, people who love action and paranormal detectivin.
*Reader Note Read Riley Jenson series first to get more background as to who Risa's mother is and all her other family is, it'll help it make more sense*

Excellent book!! Why did I not read this sooner? I think I was over Riley when I finished her books just because how frustrated I became with her but I didn't realize this was a spin off. Oh my god, it's excellent! It brings us back into Riley's world with a few cameos from our favorite people. Speaking of favorite people I'm talking about you Q
Carolyn  Storer
2.5 Stars

I was really looking forward to reading this book. I’d heard so many people praising the author’s Riley Jensen series that I was positive this would be an amazing urban fantasy.

Unfortunately, Darkness Unbound reads life a debut novel with all the trappings of a new writer than one so seasoned. There’s awkward dialogue, info dumping, a heroine who doesn’t know who she is, acting like a child one minute then trying to kick butt in the next, all wrapped up in choppy writing.

For the first h
Kt
Oct 01, 2011 Kt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcopy
There isn't anyone quite like Risa. Her mother, a lab created clone, is an extremely strong clairvoyant and also a very special kind of werewolf, able to shift facial structure. Her father is an Adeh, capable of becoming only mist, as well as several other perks. This mixed heritage has made Risa incredibly unique and powerful. Yet all she wants is to live a normal life. Yet, when her mother asks her to help out with a little girl whose soul has been stolen, Risa finds herself in the middle of a ...more
Darcy
Nov 19, 2011 Darcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, e-book, uf
I started to read this one with trepidation. I really liked the Riley Jensen series, learning that it was coming to an end was sad for me, but I perked up when I heard about this spin off series and hoped that it lived up to the first one. It is with great enthusiasm that I can say that this is how a spin off should be done. We get new characters that you instantly fall in love with and root for them to overcome the obstacles in their way and we got to see the old characters that we came to love ...more
Jess
Oct 11, 2011 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads

Being a huge fan of Keri Arthur’s Riley Jenson series, I was more than a little curious to see how Risa would hold up as the lead in her new spin off series, Dark Angels. My last mental image of Risa was of a little girl pulling Riley back from death’s door and while it maybe wasn’t explained in great detail during Riley’s story about how she did it, we find out exactly what Risa’s capable of now, how she managed to help Riley come back from being near de
Tishia (Paperback Opinion)
Jenna Howard
I want to enjoy this book more than I did. First I'm not entirely sure how this is categorized. It's sold in the romance section but read more like an urban fantasy but it's in the future so wouldn't that make it...sci-fi?

My head...hurts.

More than that Risa confused me. For all her "I just want to run my restaurant" declarations, she wasn't doing a lot of that. At all. She was busy solving the mystery of why every paranormal creature on the planet (and not) were suddenly looking for her father.

W
Jessie Potts
Sep 26, 2011 Jessie Potts rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
Fantastic start of a new series. This is a spin off of the Riley Jenson series and stars Risa. unlike her Myth and Magic series (which wasn't a favorite) we're back with the wolf shifters and all that entails.

There are so many plots twisted together, and also a couple romantic interests *wink wink* though we don'tsee any steam until page 170 or so. I love the action, the violence, and that we get to see all our beloved characters while still learning and loving Risa's own voice. I recommend and
Kathy Martin
Jul 13, 2014 Kathy Martin rated it really liked it
Keri Arthur begins a new series in the world she created in the Riley Jensen series. This time the main character is Risa Jones, half-Aedh and half-werewolf. Risa and her friends Ilianna and Tao met in school and now have started a restaurant together. They are all independently wealthy. Ilianna is a mare and a witch; Tao is half-human and half-werewolf.

Risa has inherited some of her mother's gift of clairvoyance but she has also inherited some of the Aedh gifts from the father she has never me
Josephine McNabb
Feb 15, 2015 Josephine McNabb rated it really liked it
It was really nice to see how Riley, Rohan, Quinn and Liander had all moved on from the end of the Riley Jenson series, even if it was in small bits and pieces.

I loved Risa, even in the Riley Jenson series I loved her. Now, in her own series, it is clear that she is all grown up. I love that she's strong and clever, but definitely a lot more cautious than Riley was.

I am totally intrigued by Azriel. I like him and I hope that he comes back because I like him a whole lot better than Lucian. I ge
Stacey Kennedy
Nov 04, 2011 Stacey Kennedy rated it it was amazing
This book is a prime example of why Keri Arthur is one of my favorite authors! Her memorable characters, impressive world-building, intriguing plot lines, kick-ass action scenes, scorching love scenes that had me rereading them to savor them just a little bit longer, and even that very last chapter that had me blubbering all over the page...ALWAYS leaves me wanting more!

Outstanding new series!
Isalys
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Overall a decent read. BUT . . . what seemed to be presented early in the story as the main plot for the book turned out to be (presumably) the main plot for the overall series, elevating what seemed to be a minor sub-plot in this particular book to main-plot status.

Minor sub-plots do not make very good makeshift main-plots. That is all.
Chad
It's really a 4.5 star

GOODREADS, LISTEN UP you NEED to let us READERS on your site have the 1/2 star option on here, the whole stars are good BUT we also want to have the 1/2 star too...
  • Sins of the Angels (Grigori Legacy, #1)
  • Afterlight (Dark Ink Chronicles, #1)
  • Hunted by the Others (H&W Investigations, #1)
  • Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain, #3)
  • A Bloody Good Secret (Secret McQueen, #2)
  • A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1)
  • Black Night (Black Wings, #2)
  • Ascension (Dark Breed, #1)
  • Burn the Night (Dark Days, #6)
  • Death's Sweet Embrace (Dark Brethren #2)
  • Flesh and Blood (House of Comarré, #2)
  • Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell, #1)
  • Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1)
  • Black Heart Loa (Hoodoo, #2)
  • That Old Black Magic (Living In Eden, #3)
  • Another Kind of Dead (Dreg City, #3)
  • Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1)
  • River Road (Sentinels of New Orleans, #2)
Keri Arthur, author of the New York Times bestselling Riley Jenson, Guardian series, has now written more than 25 books. She's received several nominations in the Best Contemporary Paranormal category of the Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Awards, and recently won RT's Career Achievement Award for urban fantasy. She lives in Melbourne with her daughter and two crazy dogs
More about Keri Arthur...

Dark Angels (7 books)
  • Darkness Rising (Dark Angels, #2)
  • Darkness Devours (Dark Angels, #3)
  • Darkness Hunts (Dark Angels, #4)
  • Darkness Unmasked (Dark Angels, #5)
  • Darkness Splintered (Dark Angels, #6)
  • Darkness Falls (Dark Angels, #7)

“feel on my skin and within my mind. Sometimes being psychic like my mom really sucked. I wrapped my fingers around my keys and hit the automatic opener. As the old metal gate began to grind and screech its way to one side, I couldn’t” 0 likes