Fiddler's Green (Fin's Revolution, #2)

Fiddler's Green (Fin's Revolution #2)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  53 reviews
From the backwaters of Georgia to the taverns of Philadelphia, Fin Button is the talk of the colonies. The British say she's a pirate. The Americans call her a mutineer. The crew of the Rattlesnake call her the most unlikely thing of all: captain.

But with the Revolution on the verge of defeat, the Congress offers Fin a deal. If she can free a noblewoman held captive by pi...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Rabbit Room Press

Susan
In this sequel to The Fiddler's Gun, Fin is captain of the Rattlesnake, hanging out with some less-than-lawful characters, and is an outlaw herself. She can win a pardon if she can manage to sail through Barbary pirates and rescue a kidnapped countess. So how can Christian knights possibly enter into the story? They do, and in a major way.

Fin made some really poor and cruel decisions, and I didn't like her as much as I did in the first book. Some of what she did seemed out of character to me. I...more
David Elkins
Wow! What a great book and a fitting end to the amazing tale of Fin Button! Peterson's follow up book to "Fiddler's Gun" keeps the read enthralled and held in suspense throughout with harrowing tales of escape and pursuit, yet he is always unpredictable. The 2-book series is set during the period of the American Revolution and Fin finds herself swept into the enormous tides of history just as she is swept into the enormous tides of her own passion and thirst for adventure. An exciting story of m...more
Janna Lafrance
This is what I wrote to the author when I finished reading this story:

"I have just finished The Fiddler's Green and, although any attempt I would make to express it's impact on my heart would not do it justice, I will say only that it is Flipping Brilliant. I related to Fin in so many ways. I have been at sea for most of my life and in search of a way back home.
I closed the book with a sense of the sunrise. Thank you."
Barbara
More than five stars, please.

I don't know where to begin describing this story. Some passages I had to sit with and read over and over again to savor their depth and grace. Others brought laughter...and tears.

The end of the story left me slack-jawed, stunned. Good GOD, it's so beautiful it hurts. Among the best books I have read...ever.
Janet
Most attempts to combine tall tales with character growth fail. Often authors choose to take tall tale characters' powers seriously, and so the larger than life kids grow into the same kinds of clunkily serious 'destined heroes' that saturate epic fantasy and superhero stories. This defeats the original purpose of tall tales - to brag and entertain, to let the hearer enjoy the ridiculousness of the exaggerated claims.

In Fiddler's Green Peterson's young heroine Fin Button instead has a 'terror o...more
J.J.
When I finished A.S. Peterson's first novel, The Fiddler's Gun, I was blown away at how this first time author could have written such an engrossing story with such endearing and memorable characters. I was even more amazed that I connected with them so much, and how I laughed and grieved along with them. So when I started reading Fiddler's Green I shouldn't have been surprised at how incredibly well written it was, but it blew away my expectations. Oftentimes I read a passage or a paragraph, pa...more
Tara Chevrestt
The summary sums it up nicely so I won't type paragraphs summarizing the story. I liked it, but not as much as the first one. Despite my love of pirates, I missed the orphanage scenes that were in the first one. I missed Hilde and her fat sister.

The new character additions just didn't intrigue me as much. Jeannot (gotta double check that spelling) didn't appeal to me as much as Tan did in book one and err.. yes.. as ashamed as I am to say it, Armand Defain. Defain had a small role in this one,...more
Becca
I should write about the mechanics of this book I suppose. I should comment on its lively, soulful prose and a convoluted plot that keeps a reader engaged from start to finish. But I can't. Not yet.

I can't do that because I'm having too much trouble looking at this book at arm's length. It's still burning inside me, healing questions and fears that I've had for decades. Wearing the edges off callouses. Redeeming broken things.

So, I'm sorry. This is all the review I can give for now. I can't tame...more
Shawn
I was not disappointed with this follow up to Fiddler's Gun! I had to book mark several pages as they were so beautifully written I wanted to be able to go back and read them again. I went through many emotions while reading this book. I can't remember another book written by a man with the main character being a woman that is so believable since Memoirs of a Geisha. I can't recommend this book and it's predecessor more. It is a story well told!
Lawrence
Easily the best book I have ever read. The Fiddler's Gun was very good, but when combined with Fiddler's Green-- Pure perfection. The style of writing jarred me on occasion (probably due to being extremely different from my own), but the story's craft was truly perfect. Pair that with a wonderful cast of characters that I will cherish forever -- 'tis a match made on the Fiddler's Green.
Ashley
I was prepared to enjoy this book but was caught off guard by how much I came to love the character of Phinea Button that Peterson creates. I thought that I couldn't relate to her but in the end felt that I was saying goodbye to a dear friend. This is an amazingly fun and meaningful adventure!
Lora
Loved this, strongly identified with Fin, and need more pirate books. That, and I cried at the end.

More of a greatly told story than a great book. And I'd rather have an incredible story any day.
Melanie
Love Love Love this book a real page turner , I want another please!!
Greg
Fiddler's Green, sequel to the Fiddler's Gun, is an elaborate tale which concludes the adventures of orphan turned pirate, Fin Button. For the first book, I found the story engaging but the character development to be lacking and the plot seemed to be too speedy at times as he set the stage for this second book.

The Fiddler's Green, however, quiets my complaints of the first book. The depth of the characters, I found, was extremely well developed as we gained further insight into their lives abo...more
Lydia Presley
2011 is turning out to be the "year of pirate books (tm)" for me. Between The Princess Bride, Fiddler's Green and upcoming Steel, I am definitely getting my fill of piratey-books - which is okay by me!

But this is a review about the marvelous Fiddler's Green.

Let me just say that I waited with bated breath for this sequel. I picked up The Fiddler's Gun last year and devoured it in one short plane ride. I was so caught up in the story that several people sitting across from me, beside me (and inclu...more
Lillian
Overall a pretty good read although I wasn't fully satisfied with the ending. There was enough action and drama that it kept me turning the pages. Although I will always have this issue with Peterson: too many details. He spent a whole page talking about tuning an instrument only to have none of that happen. I think he could have focused more on the character relationships rather than the events, but fortunately the events were interesting enough that I kept reading despite the lacking interacti...more
Michael Jones
Yeah, it's a five! So much in this story is really great storytelling and brings out important elements of history. The Barbary slave trade really was bad, and the monks who were also knights often fell into slothfulness but then later did great deeds.

And what can you say about Fin Button? Definitely one of the finest characters contrived in recent literary history (though my own breadth is somewhat wanting). For me, she really was that good. No kidding.

This book shows how far love will go to su...more
Kristi
I started off being not terribly impressed with this book; the story and characters felt stiff and contrived. I chalked it up to Peterson being a fledgling author, but that didn't improve the experience of reading those first few chapters. However, about a third of the way in, Peterson appeared to find his muse. The book picked up speed, but more than that, the dialogue and characters became more fluid, more vivid. I began to believe what they were feeling and saying. By the last few chapters, I...more
Chanda
I couldn't help falling for Fin Button :0). The majority of this story is fun and adventurous but there are some heartbreaking turns of the plot that had me reaching for the kleenex. This is not a comedic work by any means but it is light and enjoyable reading. I can imagine that Fin Button easily captures the hearts and the imaginations of older elementary school children. I will look forward to sharing this tale with my niece and nephew several years from now.
Rachel
I liked this better than Fiddler's Gun, but they're so closely linked that they're more like two volumes of the same book. The resolutions to the problems in Fiddler's Gun come throughout this book. I still would not recommend them unhesitatingly to any reader, but I was satisfied when I finished this one. I think the knights made the story. It's been too long since I read anything with knights. Some of the character details made me laugh...Luther and his singing. :)
Elen
Inte lika bra som första boken men jag trivs ändå. Fins äventyr känns väl krystat för att jag ska tro på det, lite som att författaren velat få in för många delmoment. Men till skillnad från första boken, säkert bitvis pga. alla dessa konstlade äventyr, så blir andra boken aldrig långsam och seg. Bra piratserie, fri från övernaturligheter.

Recension på bokpotaten.
PD
Jul 27, 2011 PD rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
This is the concluding novel to Peterson's two part series. We follow Fin Button from the eastern coast of United States to the northern coast of Africa.

Again, there is so action but for me personally, I enjoy Peterson's smooth communication of the characters, emotion, dialogue, and plot.

I will not give any spoilers, but I will say that the ending is appropriate. These two books are now added to my short-list of books to reread from time to time.
Elizabeth
Much superior to the first book, this book finds Fin and her crew attempting a foolhardy rescue in the foreign waters of the Barbary pirates in exchange for clean records. I found myself researching more about topics the book introduced because they were new and interesting. Although some of the battle scenes are totally overwritten, it seems the author has found his voice this time around, and the themes should provide plenty of book club discussion.
Ali M.
Like the first book, there were moments here that I absolutely did not see coming and that completely upended the whole narrative. But they were never for shock value –they were always to propel Fin, as a character, forward. To make her grow.

The ending was absolutely beautiful. While some parts of the book felt slightly rushed, the ending was a perfect reflection, leaving me contemplative and satisfied....more
Nate
I think on the whole i preferred the first book of Fin's Revolution to the last, but that is only to say that entering Fin's world was more enjoyable than leaving it. Pete Peterson has a delightful way with words, and Fin's story is broad, fast and deep, an excellent forum for Pete to exercise his gift. I'd be fairly surprised if anyone didn't enjoy reading this.
Merrill Hodges
This two-book series is a very enjoyable read. It is sort of a swashbuckling pirate adventure with a redemptive element that runs like a thread throughout. Very well written, beautifully so at times. Reader must engage the "willing suspension of disbelief," at some of the liberties the author takes- but that is one of the joys of fiction, I think.
David Schwan
I received this as a free book through Goodreads First Reads.

The action picks up right from where the last book left off. The heroine undergoes one adventure after another. This time she is off to Europe to confront Barbary Pirates. The plot is fast paced, and undergoes many twists and turns. Very enjoyable read!
Krelsk
Very well done follow up to The Fiddler's Gun. It's hard to believe this is the author's first book series. I hope he continues writing; these were very good, moving stories that didn't sink into cliché. I had thought they'd be simplistic children's books but I miscalled. Highly recommend.
Della Wilson
This was a great sequel to Fiddler's Gun. I saw a maturity to Fin that was gradually achieved through her experiences with her crew. It wasn't a pretty life. The storyline had many realistic moments that made it believeable. I received a copy of this book from Goodreads' Giveaway.
Sarah Elizabeth
Impossible. But it's better than the first. Fin Button's life stinks. But she is an absolutely fantastic heroine. Dear Mr. Peterson, you are one of the best wordsmiths I have ever come across. It is going to be hard to top this Fin Button. But please, I'm begging you. Try.
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • The Charlatan's Boy
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • The Book of Sorrows (Chauntecleer the Rooster, #2)
  • Godric
  • Progeny (The Children of the White Lions, #1)
  • Jack Cloudie (Jackelian, #5)
  • Erekos
  • The Drowned Vault (Ashtown Burials, #2)
  • Jatta
  • The Horribles
  • Through a Screen Darkly: Looking Closer at Beauty, Truth and Evil in the Movies
  • Hannah Coulter
  • The Caves of Perigord
The Fiddler's Gun (Fin's Revolution, #1) The Fiddlers Gun Letters The Oracle of Philadelphia The Timely Arrival of Barnabas Bead (Tales of an Unremembered Country)

“Should we Knights, in years to come, dwindle into memory, perhaps the world will recall that in the days of our demise we stood, hewing at the fetters of captive men.” 2 likes