Start by marking “Fiddler's Green (Fin's Revolution, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fiddler's Green (Fin's Revolution, #2)

Fiddler's Green (Fin's Revolution #2)

From the backwaters of Georgia to the taverns of Philadelphia, Fin Button is the talk of the colonies. The British say she's a pirate. The Americans call her a mutineer. The crew of the Rattlesnake call her the most unlikely thing of all: captain.

But with the Revolution on the verge of defeat, the Congress offers Fin a deal. If she can free a noblewoman held captive by pi
Published December 1st 2010 by Rabbit Room Press

Janna Lafrance
Dec 03, 2012 Janna Lafrance rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
This is what I wrote to the author when I finished reading this story:

"I have just finished The Fiddler's Green and, although any attempt I would make to express it's impact on my heart would not do it justice, I will say only that it is Flipping Brilliant. I related to Fin in so many ways. I have been at sea for most of my life and in search of a way back home.
I closed the book with a sense of the sunrise. Thank you."
Susan
In this sequel to The Fiddler's Gun, Fin is captain of the Rattlesnake, hanging out with some less-than-lawful characters, and is an outlaw herself. She can win a pardon if she can manage to sail through Barbary pirates and rescue a kidnapped countess. So how can Christian knights possibly enter into the story? They do, and in a major way.

Fin made some really poor and cruel decisions, and I didn't like her as much as I did in the first book. Some of what she did seemed out of character to me. I
Barbara
Sep 23, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing
More than five stars, please.

I don't know where to begin describing this story. Some passages I had to sit with and read over and over again to savor their depth and grace. Others brought laughter...and tears.

The end of the story left me slack-jawed, stunned. Good GOD, it's so beautiful it hurts. Among the best books I have read...ever.
David Elkins
Jan 01, 2011 David Elkins rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a great book and a fitting end to the amazing tale of Fin Button! Peterson's follow up book to "Fiddler's Gun" keeps the read enthralled and held in suspense throughout with harrowing tales of escape and pursuit, yet he is always unpredictable. The 2-book series is set during the period of the American Revolution and Fin finds herself swept into the enormous tides of history just as she is swept into the enormous tides of her own passion and thirst for adventure. An exciting story of m ...more
Rob
Feb 16, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it
Janet
Jul 28, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it
Most attempts to combine tall tales with character growth fail. Often authors choose to take tall tale characters' powers seriously, and so the larger than life kids grow into the same kinds of clunkily serious 'destined heroes' that saturate epic fantasy and superhero stories. This defeats the original purpose of tall tales - to brag and entertain, to let the hearer enjoy the ridiculousness of the exaggerated claims.

In Fiddler's Green Peterson's young heroine Fin Button instead has a 'terror o
Becca
Jan 10, 2011 Becca rated it it was amazing
I should write about the mechanics of this book I suppose. I should comment on its lively, soulful prose and a convoluted plot that keeps a reader engaged from start to finish. But I can't. Not yet.

I can't do that because I'm having too much trouble looking at this book at arm's length. It's still burning inside me, healing questions and fears that I've had for decades. Wearing the edges off callouses. Redeeming broken things.

So, I'm sorry. This is all the review I can give for now. I can't tame
J.J.
Sep 28, 2010 J.J. rated it it was amazing
When I finished A.S. Peterson's first novel, The Fiddler's Gun, I was blown away at how this first time author could have written such an engrossing story with such endearing and memorable characters. I was even more amazed that I connected with them so much, and how I laughed and grieved along with them. So when I started reading Fiddler's Green I shouldn't have been surprised at how incredibly well written it was, but it blew away my expectations. Oftentimes I read a passage or a paragraph, pa ...more
Emma Maxson
Oct 07, 2015 Emma Maxson rated it it was amazing
The Fiddler’s Green
A.S.Peterson

Fin Button has now been on the run for many years, until the crew of the Rattlesnake is confronted with a mission from the continental congress. The mission, rescue a captured countess from the evil Barbary pirates, the reward, a full pardon for her and her crew. Now Fin along with jack, topper, knut, and the entire crew of the Rattlesnake. Embark on a journey full of adventure, treachery, redemption, death, and most of all life, in The Fiddler’s Green.

This book
Christel
May 08, 2016 Christel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"The Fiddler's Green" is the second part of Fin Button's story, continued from the first book, "The Fiddler's Gun." I greatly enjoyed this story through both books. The story is FULL of twists and turns, gritty and realistic characters, personal vendettas and revenge, and mixed with all of that, hope, mercy, and grace. The setting and plot seem a bit unbelievable in a book description--pirates, an orphan heroine, and the American Revolutionary War--but all these fit together to create one wonder ...more
Tara Chevrestt
The summary sums it up nicely so I won't type paragraphs summarizing the story. I liked it, but not as much as the first one. Despite my love of pirates, I missed the orphanage scenes that were in the first one. I missed Hilde and her fat sister.

The new character additions just didn't intrigue me as much. Jeannot (gotta double check that spelling) didn't appeal to me as much as Tan did in book one and err.. yes.. as ashamed as I am to say it, Armand Defain. Defain had a small role in this one,
Shawn
Aug 16, 2011 Shawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was not disappointed with this follow up to Fiddler's Gun! I had to book mark several pages as they were so beautifully written I wanted to be able to go back and read them again. I went through many emotions while reading this book. I can't remember another book written by a man with the main character being a woman that is so believable since Memoirs of a Geisha. I can't recommend this book and it's predecessor more. It is a story well told!
Lawrence
Aug 10, 2013 Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Easily the best book I have ever read. The Fiddler's Gun was very good, but when combined with Fiddler's Green-- Pure perfection. The style of writing jarred me on occasion (probably due to being extremely different from my own), but the story's craft was truly perfect. Pair that with a wonderful cast of characters that I will cherish forever -- 'tis a match made on the Fiddler's Green.
Ashley
Feb 20, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011, own
I was prepared to enjoy this book but was caught off guard by how much I came to love the character of Phinea Button that Peterson creates. I thought that I couldn't relate to her but in the end felt that I was saying goodbye to a dear friend. This is an amazingly fun and meaningful adventure!
Bonita
Jan 13, 2017 Bonita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fiction, fiction
Bittersweet yet beautiful, this novel swirls with passion and hope as it follows the budding tale of a girl-turned-pirate-captain-legend. In the midst of danger and loss, Fin Button finds her own special song and love that just might lead her home.
Lora
Dec 14, 2010 Lora rated it it was amazing
Loved this, strongly identified with Fin, and need more pirate books. That, and I cried at the end.

More of a greatly told story than a great book. And I'd rather have an incredible story any day.
Melanie
Feb 17, 2011 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Love Love Love this book a real page turner , I want another please!!
Alana
Jun 03, 2017 Alana rated it it was amazing
I would suggest this great book for 5th through adulthood. I read it in (I believe) the 5th grade.
I loved the story, and in the 5th one, I started it at night and then it was so peaceful. I figured I should stop. Then, I read one more chapter and boom! Everything fell apart. Then, it all was fast paced and I didn't want it to stop.
In my actual top 8 favorite fictional books list.
Michael Cunningham
Mar 13, 2017 Michael Cunningham rated it it was amazing
Great story. Great storytelling. I loved the characters. One of my favorites was Jeannot, who said,"These times of war and ruin will pass, and by love, you will be renewed and all terrible things will be undone."
Lydia Presley
Jan 07, 2011 Lydia Presley rated it it was amazing
2011 is turning out to be the "year of pirate books (tm)" for me. Between The Princess Bride, Fiddler's Green and upcoming Steel, I am definitely getting my fill of piratey-books - which is okay by me!

But this is a review about the marvelous Fiddler's Green.

Let me just say that I waited with bated breath for this sequel. I picked up The Fiddler's Gun last year and devoured it in one short plane ride. I was so caught up in the story that several people sitting across from me, beside me (and inclu
Gregory
Dec 01, 2010 Gregory rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Fiddler's Green, sequel to the Fiddler's Gun, is an elaborate tale which concludes the adventures of orphan turned pirate, Fin Button. For the first book, I found the story engaging but the character development to be lacking and the plot seemed to be too speedy at times as he set the stage for this second book.

The Fiddler's Green, however, quiets my complaints of the first book. The depth of the characters, I found, was extremely well developed as we gained further insight into their lives abo
Beth Anne
Feb 07, 2017 Beth Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I planned to wait a little while in between reading the first and second books of this series. I started a different book and my mind kept wandering from those pages to wondering where this story would lead, so I switched to Fiddler's Green and it was a good decision.

The writing was far superior in this one that the first. It was written long, a novel where descriptions are meant to be savored and felt and come to life out of the pages. Some of the most hauntingly beautiful word pictures about
Katie
Jul 04, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
There must have been something in the water in the Peterson house when Andrew and Pete were growing up.

Pete Peterson, like his brother Andrew, has created a hero that we can all get behind.

The tendency in fiction is for a writer to create a hero whom the reader can look up to, someone who, in one way or another, seems just a little bit better than us.

Fin Button is not that hero.

And yet, she IS the hero, and she's a hero that we can all understand, because she IS us. She is human to the core,
Abby Jones
Apr 04, 2016 Abby Jones rated it it was amazing
Upon finishing this book, I immediately put it in my top ten favorite books of all time. The prose is magnificent. The story us filled with hope, longing, suffering, horror, joy, adventure and danger. And ships. And more ships. And beautiful battle scenes. And friendships. This book holds so much it brings tears to my eyes. I think it easily bridges YA and adult stories. I can see reading it as a young teen and loving it, but loving it more as you grow up. Please read this book, soak in its pros ...more
Kristi
Feb 26, 2011 Kristi rated it liked it
I started off being not terribly impressed with this book; the story and characters felt stiff and contrived. I chalked it up to Peterson being a fledgling author, but that didn't improve the experience of reading those first few chapters. However, about a third of the way in, Peterson appeared to find his muse. The book picked up speed, but more than that, the dialogue and characters became more fluid, more vivid. I began to believe what they were feeling and saying. By the last few chapters, I ...more
Michael Jones
Jun 11, 2013 Michael Jones rated it it was amazing
Yeah, it's a five! So much in this story is really great storytelling and brings out important elements of history. The Barbary slave trade really was bad, and the monks who were also knights often fell into slothfulness but then later did great deeds.

And what can you say about Fin Button? Definitely one of the finest characters contrived in recent literary history (though my own breadth is somewhat wanting). For me, she really was that good. No kidding.

This book shows how far love will go to su
Chanda
Apr 20, 2012 Chanda rated it liked it
I couldn't help falling for Fin Button :0). The majority of this story is fun and adventurous but there are some heartbreaking turns of the plot that had me reaching for the kleenex. This is not a comedic work by any means but it is light and enjoyable reading. I can imagine that Fin Button easily captures the hearts and the imaginations of older elementary school children. I will look forward to sharing this tale with my niece and nephew several years from now.
Lillian
May 25, 2014 Lillian rated it liked it
Overall a pretty good read although I wasn't fully satisfied with the ending. There was enough action and drama that it kept me turning the pages. Although I will always have this issue with Peterson: too many details. He spent a whole page talking about tuning an instrument only to have none of that happen. I think he could have focused more on the character relationships rather than the events, but fortunately the events were interesting enough that I kept reading despite the lacking interacti ...more
Elen
May 08, 2013 Elen rated it really liked it
Inte lika bra som första boken men jag trivs ändå. Fins äventyr känns väl krystat för att jag ska tro på det, lite som att författaren velat få in för många delmoment. Men till skillnad från första boken, säkert bitvis pga. alla dessa konstlade äventyr, så blir andra boken aldrig långsam och seg. Bra piratserie, fri från övernaturligheter.

Recension på bokpotaten.
PD
Feb 23, 2011 PD rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is the concluding novel to Peterson's two part series. We follow Fin Button from the eastern coast of United States to the northern coast of Africa.

Again, there is so action but for me personally, I enjoy Peterson's smooth communication of the characters, emotion, dialogue, and plot.

I will not give any spoilers, but I will say that the ending is appropriate. These two books are now added to my short-list of books to reread from time to time.
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • The Charlatan's Boy
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • Erekos
  • Progeny (The Children of the White Lions, #1)
  • Eclipsed By Shadow (The Legend of the Great Horse, #1)
  • Earth Witches Aren't Easy (Chance Monroe, #1)
  • The Son of Laughter
  • Ragman: And Other Cries of Faith
  • The Explosionist
  • The Drowned Vault (Ashtown Burials, #2)
  • Secrets of the Fire Sea (Jackelian, #4)
  • Jatta
  • The Horribles
  • Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate

Fin's Revolution (2 books)
  • The Fiddler's Gun (Fin's Revolution, #1)

“Should we Knights, in years to come, dwindle into memory, perhaps the world will recall that in the days of our demise we stood, hewing at the fetters of captive men.” 6 likes
“Turn it beautiful.

His words came faintly at first, but they came again and again, always softly, always with the insistence of an elder commanding wisdom.

Turn it all to beauty.

She walked to the rail. When she turned and sat upon it, she heard a sailor in the crowd murmur that she might play them a tune. She hoped he was right. She needed the voices to be wrong. Fin raised the instrument to the cleft of her neck and closed her eyes. She emptied her mind and let herself be carried back to her earliest memory, the first pain she ever knew: the knowledge that her parents didn’t want her. The despair of rejection coursed through her. It fathered a knot of questions that bound her, enveloped her. Waves of uncertainty and frailty shook her to the bones. Her body quivered with anger and hopelessness. She reeled on the edge of a precipice. She wanted to scream or to throw her fists but she held it inside; she struggled to control it. She fought to subjugate her pain, but it grew. It welled up; it filled her mind. When she could hold it no more, exhausted by defiance and wearied by years of pretending not to care, Bartimaeus’s words surrounded her.

Got to turn it beautiful.

She dropped her defenses. She let weakness fill her. She accepted it. And the abyss yawned. She tottered over the edge and fell. The forces at war within her raced down her arms and set something extraordinary in motion; they became melody and harmony: rapturous, golden. Her fingers coaxed the long-silent fiddle to life. They danced across the strings without hesitation, molding beauty out of the miraculous combination of wood, vibration, and emotion. The music was so bright she felt she could see it. The poisonous voices were outsung. Notes raged out of her in a torrent. She had such music within her that her bones ached with it, the air around her trembled with it, her veins bled it. The men around fell still and silent. Some slipped to the deck and sat enraptured like children before a travelling bard.”
3 likes