Start by marking “Compacts and Cosmetics: Beauty From Victorian Times to the Present Day (Women With Style)” as Want to Read:

Cosmetics have been used to increase attraction since Ancient times whilst Compacts have been a symbol of love for generations but especially since the 1920s. In this fascinating book, vintage accessories' expert, Madeleine Marsh, discusses just what makes compacts so desirable and reveals their hidden secrets from cameras to cigarettes. Madeleine shows what to buy and whe ...more
Published June 2nd 2010 by Remember When

To ask other readers questions about Compacts and Cosmetics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compacts and Cosmetics

Danielle
Nov 22, 2011 Danielle rated it really liked it
This book was totally my cup of tea (or, should I say, shade of lipstick?) I loved, loved, loved reading about the progression of trends and technology in makeup. I was fascinated by the advertisements and beauty implements of Victorian times, and it was so interesting to read about "the look" that characterized each modern decade. I hadn't realized before how clear-cut the popular styles in make-up were, but looking at the products offered and the advertisements for them made it very clear. (It ...more
Eva
Nov 16, 2016 Eva rated it really liked it
I think once it's established that this is written by an enthusiastic collector and not by a make-up artist or an academic, the whole book makes a lot more sense and is more fun to read- it does suffer from the occasional editing issue and sometimes slides more towards the sensational than the educational but it's a lovely read. I've seen readers complaining about the lack of quality in the pictures but I find the photographs from the author's collection have a very authentic charm on their own, ...more
Georgene
Jun 03, 2015 Georgene rated it liked it
Shelves: history, collectibles
Interesting book on the history of the use of cosmetics. It actually starts with the ancient Egyptians and their use of cosmetics, but mostly covers (pun intended) from the Victorian era up through the early years of this century.

Although, I seldom if ever wear cosmetics myself, I found this book to be quite interesting and there are some really great pictures of powder compacts and ads from the eras it covers.
Alyona
Mar 19, 2015 Alyona rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book gives a nice overview of make-up history and trends. It's an easy read, I missed a little more detail or depth though. As much as I admire author's collection, I can't chime in with the reviews praising pictures of the collectibles. In my opinion, the pictures were quite amaturistic and certainly did not reveal the beauty of the items. This book can be recommended to those readers who are new to make-up world and want to have a crash course on major names in the industry.
Lorraine
May 28, 2014 Lorraine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a fascinating book for anyone interested in history, cosmetics, or both. The progression (and frequent cycles) of beauty standards over the 100-150 years that the book covers in detail were remarkable to look at.
Marisol
May 19, 2014 Marisol rated it liked it
Although this book is extremely informative, and the images of vintage cosmetics are delightful, it's written in such a straightforward textbook manner that it takes the joy and levity out of the art of makeup.
Christine
May 30, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it
very informative and has some great vintage illustrations. Read like an interesting text book :)
Jessica
Sep 03, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I simply loved this book. Well researched and the pictures are really great as well. I almost read it in one go.
Shaetore
Shaetore rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2014
Sophie
Sophie rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Meaghan
Meaghan rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Keirate
Keirate rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Nathalie
Nathalie rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Kath
Kath rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2016
Lisa Frame
Lisa Frame rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2015
Brittany Pollard
Brittany Pollard rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2015
Salmeen
Salmeen rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Júlia Macedo
Júlia Macedo rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Cassie
Cassie rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2013
Jamie Goray
Jamie Goray rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Hannah Cole-Hall
Hannah Cole-Hall rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2013
Gina DellaGioia
Gina DellaGioia rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2014
Elizabeth Arboleda
Elizabeth Arboleda rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2012
Susan Stewart
Susan Stewart rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2015
Aleesa
Aleesa rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
Meaghan
Meaghan rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • War Paint: Madame Helena Rubinstein and Miss Elizabeth Arden: Their Lives, Their Times, Their Rivalry
  • Face Paint: The Story of Makeup
  • How to Become Ridiculously Well-read in One Evening: A Collection of Literary Encapsulations
  • Beautiful Eyes: The Ultimate Eye Makeup Guide
  • Conspiracy Theories & Secret Societies for Dummies
  • How to Read a Painting: Lessons from the Old Masters
  • Essentials of Baking: Recipes and Techniques for Successful Home Baking (Williams-Sonoma Essentials)
  • About Face: Amazing Transformations Using the Secrets of the Top Celebrity Makeup Artist
  • The Science of Everyday Life
  • I Walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail
  • The Customer is Always Wrong: The Retail Chronicles
  • What Not to Wear
  • Interaction Ritual - Essays on Face-to-Face Behavior
  • 100 Things You're Not Supposed to Know: Secrets, Conspiracies, Cover Ups, and Absurdities