Start by marking “Compacts and Cosmetics: Beauty From Victorian Times to the Present Day (Women With Style)” as Want to Read:

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Cosmetics have been used to increase attraction since Ancient times whilst Compacts have been a symbol of love for generations but especially since the 1920s. In this fascinating book, vintage accessories expert, Madeleine Marsh, discusses just what makes compacts so desirable and reveals their hidden secrets from cameras to cigarettes. Madeleine shows what to buy and wher ...more
Published June 2nd 2010 by Remember When

To ask other readers questions about Compacts and Cosmetics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compacts and Cosmetics

Danielle
This book was totally my cup of tea (or, should I say, shade of lipstick?) I loved, loved, loved reading about the progression of trends and technology in makeup. I was fascinated by the advertisements and beauty implements of Victorian times, and it was so interesting to read about "the look" that characterized each modern decade. I hadn't realized before how clear-cut the popular styles in make-up were, but looking at the products offered and the advertisements for them made it very clear. (It ...more
Georgene
Interesting book on the history of the use of cosmetics. It actually starts with the ancient Egyptians and their use of cosmetics, but mostly covers (pun intended) from the Victorian era up through the early years of this century.

Although, I seldom if ever wear cosmetics myself, I found this book to be quite interesting and there are some really great pictures of powder compacts and ads from the eras it covers.
Lorraine Bellevue
This is a fascinating book for anyone interested in history, cosmetics, or both. The progression (and frequent cycles) of beauty standards over the 100-150 years that the book covers in detail were remarkable to look at.
Alyona
This book gives a nice overview of make-up history and trends. It's an easy read, I missed a little more detail or depth though. As much as I admire author's collection, I can't chime in with the reviews praising pictures of the collectibles. In my opinion, the pictures were quite amaturistic and certainly did not reveal the beauty of the items. This book can be recommended to those readers who are new to make-up world and want to have a crash course on major names in the industry.
Marisol
Although this book is extremely informative, and the images of vintage cosmetics are delightful, it's written in such a straightforward textbook manner that it takes the joy and levity out of the art of makeup.
Christine
very informative and has some great vintage illustrations. Read like an interesting text book :)
Jennie Lakenan
Jennie Lakenan marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Gabrielle Madrigal
Gabrielle Madrigal marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Kath
Kath marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Lucía
Lucía marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Lisa Frame
Lisa Frame is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2015
Natalie Wright
Natalie Wright marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Areeba
Areeba added it
Jul 28, 2015
Kateri
Kateri marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Manar R
Manar R marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
B A
B A marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Erin Kelly
Erin Kelly marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Adrianna
Adrianna marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Alex Mac
Alex Mac marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Agnieszka
Agnieszka marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Lilia Purnamawati
Lilia Purnamawati marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • War Paint: Madame Helena Rubinstein and Miss Elizabeth Arden: Their Lives, Their Times, Their Rivalry
  • The Science of Everyday Life
  • Beautiful Eyes: The Ultimate Eye Makeup Guide
  • Essentials of Baking: Recipes and Techniques for Successful Home Baking (Williams-Sonoma Essentials)
  • Amazons of Black Sparta: The Women's Regiment of Dahomey
  • How to Read a Painting: Lessons from the Old Masters
  • The Customer Is Always Wrong: The Retail Chronicles
  • Interaction Ritual - Essays on Face-to-Face Behavior
  • I Walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail
  • The Mammoth Book of Modern Ghost Stories
  • Making Faces
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle Treasury (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1-2, #4)
  • 100 Things You're Not Supposed to Know: Secrets, Conspiracies, Cover Ups, and Absurdities
  • A Scented Palace: The Secret History of Marie Antoinette's Perfumer
  • 84 Charing Cross Road / The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2011
  • Freakin' Fabulous: How to Dress, Speak, Act, Eat, Sleep, Entertain, Decorate, and Generally Be Better Than Everyone Else
  • What Not to Wear
House at the End of the World Miller's Collecting the 1950s Modern Retro Table Style: Living With Mid Century Tableware Miller's Collecting the 1960s (Miller's Collector's Guides) Miller's Perfume Bottles (The Collector's Guide)