Start by marking “Romperé tu corazón (Buchanan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Romperé tu corazón (Buchanan, #1)

Romperé tu corazón (Buchanan-Renard #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  15,736 ratings  ·  421 reviews
'Perdóneme, padre, porque voy a pecar...'. En la penumbra del confesionario, el padre Tom escucha una declaración provocadora... Un desconocido le revela el crimen que planea cometer, atrayendo al sacerdote a un escabroso juego al revelarle la identidad de su próxima víctima; la hermana del propio cura, Laurant. En una frenética carrera por protegerla, Tom apela a su mejor ...more
Published November 28th 2004 by Vergara (first published January 1st 2000)

Lisa Kay
Montgomery Clift in Alfred Hitchcock’s 1953 “I Confess.”

★★★★☆ (This is a review of the audiobook.) I’ve heard Tanya Eby read before and thought she delivered nice performances; however, I wasn’t thrilled over her narration in this one. Especially her supposed subtle “French” accent for Laurant Madden, the heroine who grew up in a French convent. It did NOT sound remotely French to me. Ms. Eby’s diction is good, as is her pacing. Her differentiation of characters wasn’t terrible, but I’ve heard h
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I am very late to be reading one of Julie Garwood's romantic suspense, especially since I consider her one of my favorite authors, and I love her historicals. Honestly, I had my pout on because she doesn't write historicals anymore, and I just never got around to reading the contemporaries, although I planned to do so at some juncture. I am glad I finally got that nudge from the Julie Garwood group on Goodreads, because what most of what I love about her historical book is here in Heartbreaker. ...more
Tammy
In this Julie Garwood thriller, a psychopath a/k/a "the Heartbreaker" confesses to the brutal murder of a young woman to a priest. Then he makes his intentions known to kidnap, torture and murder the priest's sister, Laurent, next. The priest contacts his best friend, local FBI super agent, Nick, and a full blown whodunit takes place as Nick fights to protect Laurent.

It is fair to say that the first chapter of this book scared the unholy crap out of me. I suspect this was because I listened to t
Shannon C.
I had a hard time getting into this book. While I usually like mystery/suspense books, this one felt too formulatic and predictable: girl is target of crazy killer, agent acts as bodyguard, girl and agent hook up. I found Laurant, the lead gal, to be an insipid pollyanna of a character. I didn't connect with her and found her annoying. Nick, the agent/bodyguard, was more a bit more believable. I didn't buy into their romantic relationship. It wasn't developed enough and then, boom, she
Kirsten
Picked this up after reading Fast Track, I have to say in one sense it's not as good. (Nick just isn't as hot as Aiden!) But, in one sense, it's much better. The mystery/suspense element is excellent. Considering this is Garwood's first foray into the contemporary romantic suspense that is excellent.

I was a little disappointed in myself for not picking up on some plot points, though.
jenjn79
A true-blue romantic suspense. Some romantic suspense books are romances with suspenseful storylines, but this is one of those books that is a pure suspense books with a solid romance behind it. And overall it was a pretty good read. I enjoyed it.

Good plot...well planned, enough twists, plenty of suspicion cast about. Good characters...likeable, interesting, fairly well developed. And a decent romance...not great, but substantial enough.

If you like solid romantic suspenses, then give this one a
Jewel
My first Contemporary Romantic Thriller from JG, I enjoyed it, but because I really LOVE her historicals I think that affected my experience and my rating.

The thriller part was very interesting and smartly written, the pieces of the puzzle all fit in the end, I had my suspicion from the beginning, but I was never sure until the end.

The romance fell short, it wasn't the kind that you feel and cheer up for them, not like her other books, but again I think that comparing the two genres has affected
Gina
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in Julie Garwood's Buchanan series and, really, all I can say is WOW. When compared to her historical romances, I would probably only give this 4 stars but compare to other romantic suspense, I think it holds up quite well. Well enough to deserve 5 stars from me. Father Thomas Madden waits in the confessional and a man comes in. He proceeds to tell the Father some pretty disturbing stuff. How he has killed and will kill again. In fact he has his next victim picked out. The Father' ...more
Amanda
I have never really been a big fan of Suspense, then I found Romantic Suspense, and then I found Julie Garwood!!! I first found her when I read Sizzle (I know out of order, and it killed me when I found out because I hate reading out of order). I fell in love with her style almost instantly, so I knew I was going to love this book.
Nick Buchanan is the best of the best, but even the best of best needs a mental break from a job like his. He felt like there was no place in his life for love or a f
Rebecca Minto
I know a number of traditional Garwood fans objected once she started on her contemporary series, but I loved this book. Let me correct that - I LOVED this story! The the humor was a bit more subtle than with her historicals, but the characters were well-developed and there were moments of humor, if not outright hilarity. I could see personality traits in some of the characters we were led to believe that were descendants from well-loved historical characters. I loved Laurent and Nick from the f ...more
Laura V.
Se lee bastante bien. La autora no tiene reparos en prestar atención al más mínimo detalle de la trama, por lo que a veces los POV de otras personas pueden resultar densos.
Noah es adorable, <3 Ya quiero leerlo.
La historia está bien, hace más hincapié a la trama principal que al romance, pero los personajes son bastantes simpáticos y te hacen la historia llevadera.
El romance a mí me pareció bastante apresurado a pesar de la cantidad de páginas que tiene y un poco increíble.
Pero el final fue
Cmkage
I bought this book on impulse, but I'm so glad I did. It turned out a delightful read. The suspense was great, the couple sweet and there were plenty of scenes that made me smile. I'm definitely going to read the next book in this series.
Jane Stewart
Narrator Tanya Eby was bad. And the story was not good. I wanted it to be over.

AUDIOBOOK NARRATOR:
Tanya Eby said S’s in a way that detracted from the story, and some of her T’s and TH’s were odd. Throughout the book I was on edge listening for each time she would say these sounds. She also used a bad voice for Nick (hero). He sounded dorky and constipated. She had a weird accent for Laurant (heroine). I don’t know what that was. She said “dunt” or “douynt” instead of “don’t.” She said “mehbehh”
Lisarenee
Different from the other books by Garwood I have read. I'm thinking something must have happened in the book world to cause so many author's of romance novels to go more dramatic (McNaught, Iris Johansen, and now Garwood). The only thing I wish had not been in the book was the killer's point of view. A little too sinister for what I was hoping to read. Good book, however. Will probably read more from this series.
Carol
A real page turner. Well developed characters, good plot, some romance and humor, and I didn't know who the read bad guy was until the end. What else can you ask from a romantic mystery thriller? I've read some of the author's romance novels and enjoyed them, and she handled this genre just as well. I will look for other thrillers by Garwood.
Dija
Surest sign of a great book: You never want it to end.

Heartbreaker was a great book.
Jasmine
Wow! This novel is really something! I was actually planning to read this for a little while, instead I got so hooked up in the story that I've forgotten all those important things that I should have been prioritizing. For I've spent most of my time reading this novel and finishing it to the very end earlier than I thought. Yes, that's how truly addictive this novel really is. I don't know why but romantic suspense novel truly intrigues me. The main characters the beautiful Laurant and the hands ...more
Hope Frost
This was my first Garwood book, but it will not be my last. The first part of this book was pretty slow to me, a lot of back story was given, and in my opinion it would have been better to scatter it around the book, which was done, so it was some redundancy. That being said, once I got to the dialogue, it was great. Laurent and Nick were witty and she gave as much as she got. She was strong but not in the alpha sense. I loved reading the struggle Nick was having when it came to matters of the h ...more
Liv
Shadow Dance was my first "Julie Garwood" novel and that was a mistake because it was so amazing that I'm afraid all of the other Buchanan books will be just as disappointing as this one was. In Heartbreaker, the biggest issue was not the plot, suspense or action. All of those aspects were great and in line with what I look for in a good thriller.

My issue was with Laurent, the damsel in distress. I could not connect with Laurent, as the female lead and love interest of NIck Buchanan. Nick is a
LJ
Heartbreaker - Ok
Julie Garwood
Setting: Holy Oaks, Iowa, present day
Sensuality rating: 4
A psychopath confides his obsessions to a terrified priest, whose beloved sister is the star of the killer's homicidal fantasies: Garwood's first foray into contemporary romantic suspense.Father Tom Madden and younger sib Laurant are close, even though the untimely death of their parents meant a childhood spent thousands of miles apart. The lovely Laurant grew up in a posh Swiss boarding school run by kindly n
Lyndi
This would have been a five star read if Laurant wasn't so contradictory. Every time she made a decision, she immediately wanted to change her mind. It wasn't all that bad, but she did it so often that it really stuck with me. Otherwise, no complaints. I really enjoyed it. So far, and I'm reading it totally out of order, this series has been awesome!
Sulis Peri Hutan
Diawali dengan seorang lelaki yang mengaku dosa ke Tommy atau Thomas Madden kalo dia telah membunuh seorang wanita, kemudian dia bilang target selanjutnya adalah Laurant Madden, adiknya.
Karena cemas akan ancaman itu, dia menelepon polisi dan FBI, meminta sahabatnya Nicholas Benjamin Buchanan untuk mengusut siapa sebenarnya pembunuh itu. Sejak saat itu, Nick selalu berada disamping Laurant guna melindunginya sekaligus memancing pembunuh dengan berpura-pura menjadi tunangannya. Lalu siapakah seben
Shell
I vaguely remember reading Julie Garwood when I was younger, so when I saw this book, I thought I'd pick it back up again, since I was fuzzy on a lot of details. I'm glad I did!

FBI Agent Nick Buchanan, is called to aid his best friend, Father Tom Madden, when a psycho threatens Tom's sister Laurant. The story unfolds as the characters try keep Laurant safe from several sources.

I enjoyed the interweaving of the multi storylines of Holy Oakes, the FBI issues, the blossoming romance between Nick &
Carrie
3.5* A very enjoyable romantic suspense that faltered on the suspense, but gave a somewhat unique experience in the romance. Heroes and heroines that aren't cardboard cut-outs are refreshing, and Garwood delivered on that score. Nick was a hero with self-control, one who actually doesn't sleep with the woman he's guarding while still on the case. Both his and Laurant's reactions to the situation and to each other rang true.

The suspense faltered on several points, but I still enjoyed trying to u
Mary Kate
I drive quite a bit and I listen to alot of audiobooks... this was one. I enjoyed the book, but it seemed so predictable and Julie Garwood has an issue with guns. In several of her contemporary novels she mentions guns and makes a point to have the heroine afraid of them. It seems that she makes the gun an issue when it doesn't have to be. I downloaded several of her contemporary mystery/romance novels and listened to them consecutively and the fear of guns thing got old really fast. But I have ...more
Jaime
This was Julie Garwood’s first romantic suspense (not to mention the first book of her’s I’ve read), and if you ask me, she hit it out of the park. I really liked this. I liked Nick’s blindspots and Laurant’s straight-forwardness and the quirky cast of characters in Holy Oaks. Though I figured out the identity of the Heartbreaker about halfway through the book, I didn’t know where he was hiding until Nick did. Big thumbs up!
LailaBC
I am pissed at myself coz i accidentally deleted my original review of this and i can't bother myself now in rewriting a new one. I actually like the first one i did....grrrr!
So i will just make this one rather short and simple...i really like this one :) sure it is not my usual genre and this is my first time into the suspense thriller series of Garwood. I am more familiar with her historical romance works which i love.
I find most of the characters here very quirky and interesting and even got
Janet
This is a mystery/romance book. This is the genre I usually don't read because of the often stupid story lines and the inevitable repetitive facets of every romance book; the ever-so-handsome man; the incredibly beautiful woman; the totally perfect lovemaking: and of course the disgustingly over-sweet sentiments. I am more of a realist who would rather read novels that, at least resemble the truth.
This story has some of the usual fairy tale goofiness, i.e. the men are all ever-so-handsome and o
Colleen
This is my first book by Julie Garwood and I really enjoyed it. I would give it 4.5 stars if I could. Had a great plot full of suspense (I definitely had no clue who the killer was until it was revealed) and nice romance thrown in between Laurent and Nick. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Buchanan series.
  • Dying to Please
  • All Night Long
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
  • Return to Me (Last Chance Rescue, #2)
  • Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3)
  • Walking After Midnight
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
More about Julie Garwood...

Buchanan-Renard (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Mercy (Buchanan-Renard, #2)
  • Killjoy (Buchanan-Renard, #3)
  • Murder List (Buchanan-Renard #4)
  • Slow Burn (Buchanan-Renard, #5)
  • Shadow Dance (Buchanan-Renard, #6)
  • Fire and Ice (Buchanan-Renard, #7)
  • Sizzle (Buchanan-Renard, #8)
  • The Ideal Man (Buchanan-Renard, #9)
  • Sweet Talk (Buchanan-Renard, #10)
  • Hotshot (Buchanan-Renard, #11)
The Bride (Lairds' Fiancées, #1) The Secret (Highlands' Lairds #1) Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2) Honor's Splendour The Prize

“-"Nick?"
"I'm still here, Laurant."
-"Did you tell Tommy we slept together?"
"No, but you just did. He's standing right here."
She fell asleep. But this time she didn't have any dreams or nightmare.”
37 likes
“Going for it and changing what you could change-that's what success was all about.” 28 likes