Start by marking “Il commissario Montalbano: Le prime indagini” as Want to Read:
Il commissario Montalbano: Le prime indagini

Il commissario Montalbano: Le prime indagini (Commissario Montalbano #1-3)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  228 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Quando è nato il personaggio di Salvo Montalbano? In quale romanzo? In questo volume vengono riunite insieme le prime tre indagini del commissario più famoso d'Italia che, secondo una ricerca pubblicata nel nuovo Annuario della Società Dante Alighieri, è, insieme a Renzo e Lucia e a Pinocchio, il personaggio più rappresentativo dell'immaginario letterario italiano.
La forma
Paperback, Galleria #5, 600 pages
Published July 17th 2008 by Sellerio

To ask other readers questions about Il commissario Montalbano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il commissario Montalbano

Mara
Oct 15, 2015 Mara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a new man in my life. I'm madly in love. His name is Salvo Montalbano, and he's one of the most fantastic characters I've ever met in any novel, detective or otherwise.

These are quick reads, and sometimes get a bit stock or formulaic (how many times can Catarella come barging in slamming the door open and scaring Montalbano out of his mind?) but as in the best detective novel the point isn't finding out whodunit, but watching the investigation unfold along the way.

Salvo is a cranky ass
Cleo
Apr 28, 2013 Cleo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death in Sicily, scheduled to come out in late May, is a volume containing the first three Inspector Montalbano mysteries. It has quite a long title. I received a review copy from Penguin, and was excited to read these Italian mysteries. In this post I will review the titles separately.

The Shape of Water: In The Shape of Water, the first mystery in the series, a man is found mysteriously dead in a car by the beach. He had been doing certain things before he died, but it appears that he has died
Jane
Mar 24, 2015 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the very few recognized Sicilian authors. Camilleri has written historical novels and poetry; however, his most popular books are the "whodunit" mysteries featuring the quirky detective, Salvo Montalbano. This collection contains three books. I felt the first and third were the best. Critics claim that Camilleri captures the Sicilian character and landscape brilliantly, but for me, the description of the food was the very best. I think I put on three pounds just reading the book:)
Ian
Mar 10, 2016 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
The first three Montalbano novels rolled into one book. You follow the food-loving Sicilian sleuth through some typically complex cases as he battles against the bureaucracy and corruption of the Italian state.

If you're familiar with the TV adaptation of Montalbano you'll recognise all of these. That doesn't detract from the stories though as there's a good deal of nuance and humour in the books that doesn't always come across on TV.
Lady R
Dec 01, 2015 Lady R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non-formulaic crime/mystery, in a stunning Italian setting with a very definitely non-formulaic inspector and lots of references to gorgeous food - what's not to love?

These are not particularly pacy or suspenseful books but easy reads and perfect for a bit of escapism.
Bmcneill
It took me a little while to get into these books, but I found I became attached to the characters and got use to the language. The mysteries were fun and not apparent.
Alex Cantone
Feb 21, 2016 Alex Cantone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read. but I needed a notepad to keep up with the many characters and who they were!!!
Edward Amato
Nov 17, 2014 Edward Amato rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially I had a problem differentiating the characters until I got used to Sicilian proper names. Loved this book and am looking forward to reading more by this author. DO NOT read if you are on a diet! Recurrent references to amazing Sicilian dishes had me salivating throughout the stories.
Lisa
Dec 19, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this detective mystery series. If you like police detective type stories, you will probably like the main character, Montalbano. He's entertaining as a character, you wouldn't want him for a boyfriend---he ditches his girlfriend for his work all the time. Don't read this book when hungry. Montalbano is a serious foodie that thoroughly enjoys his meals that are described in delectable detail. This book should come with recipes!
Susan
Aug 01, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: italy, mystery
Mysteries and Italian settings and food make
up my favorite formula for an entertaining book!
I enjoyed these 3 volumes more than reading just one of them as a stand alone, which I had
done previously. I don't appreciate them quite as much, however, as Donna Leon's Venetian
series.
Jax
Oct 16, 2013 Jax rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
like the ones better if I have seen them on Tv as easier to picture and did not spoil the plot for me. And I had not realised about the swearing which is evident in the books. Wanted to keep reading. If you like detective novels and other culures then these are for you.
F
Sep 15, 2013 F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful series about a Sicilian policeman. These books are the first 3 books in the series. They illustrate the full character development for the remaining books. A great mix of mystery and Sicilian humor.
Rodrigo Paris
May 09, 2013 Rodrigo Paris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot know how good Camilleri is in translation, After all, traduttore=traditore, as Italians say. In Italian, he is a delight. I thus reaffirm my five-star-rating, with the above caveat.
Susan Ovans
Seldom has murder been rendered so dull.
Russell
Sep 24, 2013 Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three great thrillers in one ......
Vicki L.
Nov 26, 2012 Vicki L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foreign-crime
Love this series!
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Erin
Erin is currently reading it
May 23, 2016
Alain Wyss
Alain Wyss rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor is currently reading it
May 14, 2016
Pat Daner
Pat Daner is currently reading it
Natasa
Natasa marked it as to-read
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Lily
Lily rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Penny
Penny rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Nicholas Ferrante
Nicholas Ferrante rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Sue Jeffries
Sue Jeffries rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
  • The Mammoth Book of Historical Crime Fiction (Mammoth Books)
  • Tutti i romanzi e i racconti
  • The Drowning River (Sandro Cellini, #1)
  • OxCrimes: 27 Killer Stories from the Cream of Crimewriters
  • Gaslight Grotesque: Nightmare Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Autumn, All the Cats Return
  • Artless
  • Fade to Black
  • The Visitor
  • The Society of the Crossed Keys
  • Banquets of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers, #4)
  • Il cuore di Derfel
  • The King's Hounds (King Knud #1)
  • The Italians: A Full-Length Portrait Featuring Their Manners and Morals
  • The Baghdad Railway Club
  • We Have Only This Life to Live
  • Il fasciocomunista: Vita scriteriata di Accio Benassi
  • The Other Side of the Tiber: Reflections on Time in Italy
Andrea Camilleri (born september 6, 1925 in Porto Empedocle) is an Italian writer. He is considered one of the greatest Italian writers of both 20th and 21st centuries.

Originally from Porto Empedocle, Sicily, Camilleri began studies at the Faculty of Literature in 1944, without concluding them, meanwhile publishing poems and short stories. Around this time he joined the Italian Communist Party.

Fro
More about Andrea Camilleri...

Commissario Montalbano (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Shape of Water (Inspector Montalbano, #1)
  • The Terra-Cotta Dog (Inspector Montalbano, #2)
  • The Snack Thief (Inspector Montalbano, #3)
  • Voice of the Violin (Inspector Montalbano, #4)
  • Excursion to Tindari (Inspector Montalbano, #5)
  • The Smell of the Night (Inspector Montalbano, #6)
  • Rounding the Mark (Inspector Montalbano, #7)
  • The Patience of the Spider (Inspector Montalbano, #8)
  • The Paper Moon (Inspector Montalbano, #9)
  • August Heat (Inspector Montalbano, #10)