Start by marking “Il commissario Montalbano: Le prime indagini” as Want to Read:
Il commissario Montalbano: Le prime indagini

Il commissario Montalbano: Le prime indagini (Commissario Montalbano #1-3)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  185 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Quando è nato il personaggio di Salvo Montalbano? In quale romanzo? In questo volume vengono riunite insieme le prime tre indagini del commissario più famoso d'Italia che, secondo una ricerca pubblicata nel nuovo Annuario della Società Dante Alighieri, è, insieme a Renzo e Lucia e a Pinocchio, il personaggio più rappresentativo dell'immaginario letterario italiano.
La forma
Paperback, Galleria #5, 600 pages
Published July 17th 2008 by Sellerio

To ask other readers questions about Il commissario Montalbano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il commissario Montalbano

Mara
Oct 15, 2015 Mara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a new man in my life. I'm madly in love. His name is Salvo Montalbano, and he's one of the most fantastic characters I've ever met in any novel, detective or otherwise.

These are quick reads, and sometimes get a bit stock or formulaic (how many times can Catarella come barging in slamming the door open and scaring Montalbano out of his mind?) but as in the best detective novel the point isn't finding out whodunit, but watching the investigation unfold along the way.

Salvo is a cranky ass
Cleo
Apr 28, 2013 Cleo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death in Sicily, scheduled to come out in late May, is a volume containing the first three Inspector Montalbano mysteries. It has quite a long title. I received a review copy from Penguin, and was excited to read these Italian mysteries. In this post I will review the titles separately.

The Shape of Water: In The Shape of Water, the first mystery in the series, a man is found mysteriously dead in a car by the beach. He had been doing certain things before he died, but it appears that he has died
Jane
Mar 24, 2015 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the very few recognized Sicilian authors. Camilleri has written historical novels and poetry; however, his most popular books are the "whodunit" mysteries featuring the quirky detective, Salvo Montalbano. This collection contains three books. I felt the first and third were the best. Critics claim that Camilleri captures the Sicilian character and landscape brilliantly, but for me, the description of the food was the very best. I think I put on three pounds just reading the book:)
Lady R
Dec 01, 2015 Lady R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non-formulaic crime/mystery, in a stunning Italian setting with a very definitely non-formulaic inspector and lots of references to gorgeous food - what's not to love?

These are not particularly pacy or suspenseful books but easy reads and perfect for a bit of escapism.
Bmcneill
It took me a little while to get into these books, but I found I became attached to the characters and got use to the language. The mysteries were fun and not apparent.
Edward Amato
Nov 17, 2014 Edward Amato rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initially I had a problem differentiating the characters until I got used to Sicilian proper names. Loved this book and am looking forward to reading more by this author. DO NOT read if you are on a diet! Recurrent references to amazing Sicilian dishes had me salivating throughout the stories.
Lisa
Dec 19, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this detective mystery series. If you like police detective type stories, you will probably like the main character, Montalbano. He's entertaining as a character, you wouldn't want him for a boyfriend---he ditches his girlfriend for his work all the time. Don't read this book when hungry. Montalbano is a serious foodie that thoroughly enjoys his meals that are described in delectable detail. This book should come with recipes!
Susan
Aug 01, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: italy, mystery
Mysteries and Italian settings and food make
up my favorite formula for an entertaining book!
I enjoyed these 3 volumes more than reading just one of them as a stand alone, which I had
done previously. I don't appreciate them quite as much, however, as Donna Leon's Venetian
series.
Jax
Oct 16, 2013 Jax rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
like the ones better if I have seen them on Tv as easier to picture and did not spoil the plot for me. And I had not realised about the swearing which is evident in the books. Wanted to keep reading. If you like detective novels and other culures then these are for you.
F
Sep 15, 2013 F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful series about a Sicilian policeman. These books are the first 3 books in the series. They illustrate the full character development for the remaining books. A great mix of mystery and Sicilian humor.
Rodrigo Paris
May 09, 2013 Rodrigo Paris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot know how good Camilleri is in translation, After all, traduttore=traditore, as Italians say. In Italian, he is a delight. I thus reaffirm my five-star-rating, with the above caveat.
Susan Ovans
Seldom has murder been rendered so dull.
Russell
Sep 24, 2013 Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three great thrillers in one ......
Vicki L.
Nov 26, 2012 Vicki L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foreign-crime
Love this series!
Richard Baxter
Richard Baxter rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
simon wegner
simon wegner rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Jacqueline H Jordan
Jacqueline H Jordan rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Jobpaol.com
Jobpaol.com rated it it was amazing
Larry Shelton
Larry Shelton rated it liked it
Costanza Onida
Costanza Onida rated it liked it
Chris Hampton
Chris Hampton rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Chris Plumley
Chris Plumley marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
kate mccluer
kate mccluer rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Steven Loveridge
Steven Loveridge rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Jenny Fallover
Jenny Fallover marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Roberta Moeschter
Roberta Moeschter is currently reading it
Jan 11, 2016
G Hurst
G Hurst marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Chiara Bambara
Chiara Bambara rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Deborah Rhine
Deborah Rhine is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2016
  • The Mammoth Book of Historical Crime Fiction (Mammoth Books)
  • The Drowning River (Sandro Cellini, #1)
  • Tutti i romanzi e i racconti
  • Autumn, All the Cats Return
  • OxCrimes: 27 Killer Stories from the Cream of Crimewriters
  • Fade to Black
  • Gaslight Grotesque: Nightmare Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Banquets of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers, #4)
  • The Society of the Crossed Keys
  • The King's Hounds (King Knud #1)
  • The Italians: A Full-Length Portrait Featuring Their Manners and Morals
  • La spada perduta
  • Il fasciocomunista: Vita scriteriata di Accio Benassi
  • We Have Only This Life to Live
  • Death in August
  • The Wanderer in Unknown Realms
  • The Venetian Empire: A Sea Voyage
  • Francis and Clare: The Complete Works
Andrea Camilleri (born september 6, 1925 in Porto Empedocle) is an Italian writer. He is considered one of the greatest Italian writers of both 20th and 21st centuries.

Originally from Porto Empedocle, Sicily, Camilleri began studies at the Faculty of Literature in 1944, without concluding them, meanwhile publishing poems and short stories. Around this time he joined the Italian Communist Party.

Fro
More about Andrea Camilleri...

Commissario Montalbano (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Shape of Water (Inspector Montalbano, #1)
  • The Terra-Cotta Dog (Inspector Montalbano, #2)
  • The Snack Thief (Inspector Montalbano, #3)
  • Voice of the Violin (Inspector Montalbano, #4)
  • Excursion to Tindari (Inspector Montalbano, #5)
  • The Smell of the Night (Inspector Montalbano, #6)
  • Rounding the Mark (Inspector Montalbano, #7)
  • The Patience of the Spider (Inspector Montalbano, #8)
  • The Paper Moon (Inspector Montalbano, #9)
  • August Heat (Inspector Montalbano, #10)