Start by marking “Going Under (Quantum Gravity #3)” as Want to Read:
Going Under (Quantum Gravity #3)

Going Under (Quantum Gravity #3)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  770 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Lila Black is off with the faeries . . .

Ever since the Quantum Bomb of 2015 things have been different; the dimensions have fused and suddenly our world is accessible to elves, demons, ghosts and elementals and their worlds are open to us. Things have been different for Special Agent Lila Black too: tortured and magic-scarred by elves, rebuilt by humans into a half-robot,
Published September 18th 2009 by Pyr (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Going Under, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Under

Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally.)

So once again, it's time for me to pen a single essay concerning an entire series of genre books; because once again I'm tackling a combination of back-titles and a new title from our good friends at genre publisher Pyr, who earlier this year sent me an entire giant box full of cool-looking books mer
Barbara
And I got part way into this book and I realized--I just don't care anymore.
Nev Percy
Justina Robson is on top form with this Lila Black series. Don't be put off by the genre-crossover 'pitch' of cyber-babe meets elves and fairies and magic and what-not -- it's really good stuff!

The writing is incredibly tight, and the various otherwordly goings-on are so well thought out I'm just jealous!

Going Under, specifically, is 'the faerie one' -- but these are truly timeless creatures rather than twee expressions of mediaeval whimsy, a point made real by their relating to the modern (just
Michael Mcclelland
I only made it to this, the third book in the Quantum Gravity series, on the potential indicated by the preceding two. While the genre clash and multiverse setting were definite pulls, they were almost outweighed by the push of an uneven pace: alternatively dizzyingly breakneck through action sequences and achingly slow in getting to the grist of a series-spanning story arc.

Whether it's through the confidence gained in being well into what must now be a relatively successful (critically if not c
Cathy
I'd say that the theme if this one is secrets, those everyone is keeping from each other and those they're keeping from themselves. It starts off somewhat lighter, with Lila just worried about telling Zal and Teazle that she's not happy in Demonia and that she wants to get back to Otopia and get to work. But a dangerous situation quickly spirals out of control, and when someone they love gets hurt, anger and regret leads to more secrets and blame. And Zal has secrets about what he's doing with h ...more
Literary George (For Your Literary Pleasure Blog)
Originally reviewed at For Your Literary Pleasure
Because my comments for the last three books in the series are similar I'm cheating and making them have one review - sue me. In all honesty, this series could have been shorter. There were many scenes that dragged on despite having one of the more intricate plots I've read in a Sci-Fi/Fantasy book. My drive to finish the series was pushed by my inability let characters go with no resolution - I NEEDED to know what happened to Lila, Zal and Teazle
Raj
The third in the Quantum Gravity series, this one starts nuclear-powered cyborg Lila Black married to an elf and a demon and enjoying a honeymoon in Daemonia. This starts to go sour as more and more demons try to duel Lila for her power and prestige in having married a scion of one of the most powerful families in the land. Although with her AI-assisted reflexes and battle-technology she is easily able to defeat these challengers, the senseless waste of it is getting to her, so it's a relief whe ...more
Karissa
This is the third book in the Quantum Gravity series by Justin Robson. There are supposed to be at least 5 books in this series. The fourth book "Chasing the Dragon" came out in August of 2009. This was a decent book, I liked it better than "Selling Out" book 2, but there are still some things that are a bit crazy about this book especially towards the end. I listened to this as an audio book and the quality was okay but not the best I have heard.

The book start with Lila Black in Demonia. Right
Gemma Thomson
Of the three books before Chasing the Dragon, number 4 in this series and as yet unread, I do prefer number two. Going Under suffers a little from that book's split between worlds, as Lila's time in Faery changes the theme and the nature of her peril quite considerably, making it feel like a miniature story unto itself. This is, of course, quite fitting for the series, but I have to fight my personal tastes in order to absorb that.

Just like the books before it, Going Under offers a sci-fi/fantas
CD
Honestly, I can't imagine where Robson will take us next. This third installment in the Quantum Gravity series is the best I think. She bring together Teazle and Lila in a totally unique way, explaining Teazle's background and motivation in such a way as to naturally include him in the mix. Zal and Lila continue to play out their game, and still pine for just a few minutes alone to see where the relationship is going. This book has the crew going into Faery and deep into a game played by the Oth ...more
John Owen
Very disappointed in this book. Previous Justina Robson books I've read have been good, but this really doesn't work for me. The base problem is its cross-genre nature -- it's a mix of fantasy and cyperpunk, with most of the worst features of both. When anything can happen, the reader has to rely on the protagonist to be an anchor point in an ever-changing landscape, but for the most part Robson's main character hasn't got the foggiest what is going on either.
Jen Lamoureux
This was my favorite book of the series so far. My only beef is with the ending... but only because I don't have the next book with me to start reading it right away.
Gale A
Micheline
I really wish there was a 3 1/2 star rating, but there's not, and nobody reads these anyway, so I probably shouldn't fixate on it. Her previous two quantum gravity books involved the complicated and often sexual relationships between elves, fairies, cyborgs and demons having adventures throughout multiple universes. They were weird and completely groovy. Justina definitely took it one step weirder in this book, and a really enjoyed it, and it satisfied my secret fantasy of being a super-hot homi ...more
Susan Treat
Awesome book have to see if there is more.
Larry Kenney
Once again, I had fun reading this book. It struggles with some of the shortfalls of the earlier books in the series, such as a weak plot and and not having a lot of depth in the characters.

However, compared to the first two books, you finally get to see more sides to a few of the characters.

The main strength of this book, and this series in general, is the setting. Her richly imagined and unique take on the world of the Fey is reason enough alone to read this book.

Looking forward to reading the
Traci
this is a great series so far.
it brings together multiple dimensions that are open for anyone to travel(demons, fairies, elves, elementals, ghosts, and others), and the world as we know it now is completely changed. the main character was tortured and magic-scarred by elves, rebuilt by humans into a half-robot, part-AI, nuclear-fueled walking arsenal, not to mention that she has the "spirit" of a dead elfin necromancer "living" in her chest. if you like science-fiction you'll love this series.
Julia
GOING UNDER suffers less than SELLING OUT from the difficulty of separated protagonists. Lila, Teazle and Zal come together and then go spinning off into faery, learning more about themselves in the process. Faery did not have as distinct a flavor for me as Alfheim or Demonia, though everyone's regression to their older forms was interesting.

Where SELLING OUT dragged for me, GOING UNDER has restored the series momentum, itching to get to book four.
Tanya
I'm a little over halfway through this book and enjoying it more and more. The beginning was a bit heavy on explanations, but it has really picked up. The back cover labels it as "Science Fiction & Fantasy" and it's correct. It truly is a mixture of both, with Lila's AI and partially mechanical body and the involvement of elves, demons, faeries, etc. Ms. Robson has an amazing imagination and I highly recommend all three of the Quantum Gravity books.
Samantha
Quantum Gravity series is a fun series that blends fantasy, sci-fi and a touch of steam punk. Its unique combination of genres provides something that cannot be found in other series. The main protagonist Lila is an amazingly complex and believable character. The mythology used by the author brings in authenticity as well and plenty of new twists. I am very happy and sad to see the fifth and final book come out last month
Julie
This has been a very entertaining series so far. I eagerly await the next volume. If you like fantasy... vampires, demons, faeries, and the lot... you'll probably like this series. The writing is very good and the author makes you care about the characters. I was sad to have it end.
M. D. Parkhurst
The author finally takes the reader to Faerie, but I was under impressed. There was too much double speak and games to get the feel of this world. There was so much going on the author did not allow time to accept what happened before the next problem arose.
Jaine Fenn
The third book in the 'Quantum Gravity' series; whilst I enjoyed the other two, this one I loved, mainly because of the author's brilliant depiction of faery as a truly twisted and alien place than nonetheless operates by its own warped rules.
Mike
This third in the trilogy (? don't know if any more are coming) kind of petered out there. As if the author had an obligation to write this one more than a desire to get the story out of her head. But still a good read.
Jason
I agree with those people who say that they wish that there was a 3 1/2 star rating. Robson keeps up with a good story with plenty of originality, and I look forward to what's coming next.
Robert
This was good. I read the fifth book in the series this fall. tied it up pretty well. I didn't want to say goodbye to the characters. it's good that I have all five books to re-read.
WillowBe
I love these books so much, I can't even say how mch.These are books that I can read again, and again and get more out of them. And gods, I love Zal!!
Sharon Malcolm
A superb installment in a brilliant series. Amazing world building, can't fault this at all. Must get the next one, quick!
Toddinsf Morris
Loved the treatment of Faerie & the fey. The ending... well, read it for yourself. Definitely left me eager for the next one.
Danielle
Apr 06, 2010 Danielle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Joci, John
Recommended to Danielle by: Heath
Third in the series, and continues to hold my attention. Unique, good characterization, great pace. Very enjoyable.
Confused 3 24 Jan 31, 2012 06:10AM
  • Nylon Angel (Parrish Plessis, #1)
  • MultiReal (The Jump 225 Trilogy, #2)
  • Stalking the Vampire
  • The Office of Shadow
  • The Alchemist in the Shadows (Les Lames du Cardinal, #2)
  • Diving into the Wreck (Diving Universe, #1)
  • Ravensoul (Legends of the Raven, #4)
  • 23 Years on Fire (Cassandra Kresnov, #4)
  • A Kiss of Blood (Vamp City, #2)
  • Endgame (Sirantha Jax, #6)
  • Deceiver (Foreigner, #11)
  • The Scar-Crow Men (Swords of Albion, #2)
  • Zero Point (Owner Trilogy, #2)
Justina is from Leeds, a city in Yorkshire in the north of England. She always wanted to write and always did. Other things sometimes got in the way and sometimes still do...but not too much.
More about Justina Robson...
Keeping It Real (Quantum Gravity #1) Selling Out (Quantum Gravity #2) Chasing the Dragon (Quantum Gravity #4) Natural History Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)

“Because there's nothing you can do about other people's reactions. You be yourself and let them be themselves and if you don't get what you want then tough and if you do then good for you and that's it. Everything else is manipulation and I spit on it.
-Zal”