Start by marking “Twenty Pageants Later (Bantam Starfire Books)” as Want to Read:
Twenty Pageants Later (Bantam Starfire Books)

Twenty Pageants Later (Bantam Starfire Books)

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  361 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Scottie-Anne's older sister is a "professional" participant in beauty contests, and after watching so many of them, Scottie-Anne's conclusion is that brains don't count much. She wants nothing to do with what she considers the shallow, egotistical world of pageants -- until her school holds one. Scottie-Anne is shocked to realize that she wants to win! After all, no one wa ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published December 5th 1994 by Laurel Leaf (first published April 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Twenty Pageants Later, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twenty Pageants Later

Arminzerella
M
Oct 24, 2009 M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don;t know what made me think of this book, which I read and loved in sixth grade, but I felt I had to add it here as all those years later I still remember it fondly. A well done tale of the plain sister to the glamorous beauty queen and an honest discussion of how much looks do and do not count for.
Miranda (MirandasBookBlog)
I read this book back in Middle School and remember loving it! The perfect book for Tweens and younger Teens, this book packs a powerful message about body image!
Callista Hunter
Jan 31, 2015 Callista Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twenty Pageants Later had a huge impact on me when I first read it as a kid, and I've re-read it more times than I can count. Among so many fairy-tale wish fulfillment stories of the-girl-gets-the-guy, this book stood out for its honesty and its realism. It also raised a lot of questions about what it means to be beautiful, and whether there might be something wrong with our perception of beauty as a society ("blonde and skinny always wins"). Common themes now, but when I was a kid, this book wa ...more
Sarah Tilatitsky
Feb 10, 2011 Sarah Tilatitsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pretty much like Scottie-Anne. She seems like a practical person that likes frills from time to time, but doesn't like doing it all the time. Actually, this book is great. It is perfect for people that are practical, but would like some special things. I would love to reread this book. The title isn't what it seems to be, so just read and enjoy. ...more
Hannah Kline
Jul 22, 2015 Hannah Kline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I finished this book a few minutes ago for the first time even though I have owned it for years. As I was reading it I don't think I was even 40 pages in before I started to almost cry. By page 50 I was crying and I started to cry periodically throughout this book. I really connected with Scottie-Anne and her struggles to feel good enough.
Kimberly Polanco
Nov 03, 2007 Kimberly Polanco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book is about a girl named Scottie-Anne who has a sister who knows everything about pageants because she has been in a lot of them. Scottie-Anne learns a lesson that even if you aren't beutiful or perfect there's always something for you. I reccomend this book to anyone.
Pamela Tracy
Aug 22, 2015 Pamela Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
There were many things to like about this book, mainly that struggling to fit in doesn't matter whether you're on the top or the bottom.

I did love Dane usurping the MC.

I did like how the girls turned snippy when in competition.

A bit dated but still real.
Christi Flagg
Jul 06, 2011 Christi Flagg rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite young adult novels...a younger sister of a beauty pageant pro gets talked into participating in a beauty pageant herself. Hilarity ensues.
Brandyn
Aug 25, 2016 Brandyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg
I read this about a decade ago, but it just crossed my mind and decided if I still remember it so fondly after that long I should add it.
Deborah
Mar 27, 2008 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen, favorites
One of my favorite books from childhood - probably because I felt like I could identify with Scottie-Anne.
Ria Ali
Mar 14, 2012 Ria Ali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting read.I love the way Scottie-annie changes her opinion about pageants
Alexis
Feb 13, 2010 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Scottie-Anne trying to beat her sister in something! Great book!!!
Jaachim
Jul 29, 2010 Jaachim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the only Caroline Cooney book that I've enjoyed.
ĴįĻŁ ĺž ©ØÕļ
the main character has the stupidest name!
Freefallen ~ YA Reviewer
One of those short, sweet, satisfying books. :)
Karijean31
It was a fluffy book but fun.
Shawn
an easy read
Texaskara
Jan 19, 2010 Texaskara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A just for fun book
Madison (The Chronic Re-Reader)
One thing that I always appreciated with Caroline B. Cooney's books is the relatability of the characters. Now, some may call them flat and maybe that's what they are, but part of the reason I'm always sucked into Cooney's stories is how I am able to place myself in the character's shoes.

I've re-read Twenty Pageants Later several times, along with many other Cooney books, and although the setting is outdated, the message it sends to young girls withstands the test of time.
Yazishni Dubash
Yazishni Dubash rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Nat
Nat rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Janet Mitchell
Janet Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
HB
HB rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
  • Gossip Times Three
  • Thames Doesn't Rhyme with James
  • Confessions from the Principal's Chair
  • Spying on Miss Muller
  • The Baby-Sitters Remember (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #11)
  • Remembering Mrs. Rossi
  • A Fair to Remember (Camp Confidential, #13)
  • Hide and Seek (Spy X, #2)
  • The Secret of the Forgotten Cave (Nancy Drew, #134)
  • The Girls' Revenge (Boy/Girl Battle, #4)
  • Seven Days to a Brand New Me
  • Leon and the Champion Chip
  • The Haunting of Grade Three
  • Yours Till Niagara Falls, Abby
  • Clues in the Woods (Liza, Bill & Jed Mysteries)
  • The Great Mom Swap
  • Escape from Egypt
  • Three Lives to Live
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem
More about Caroline B. Cooney...