Start by marking “Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)

Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  71,422 Ratings  ·  8,093 Reviews
Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. They follow legends and local lore, destroy the murderous dead, and keep p
Hardcover, First Edition, 320 pages
Published October 17th 2011 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about Anna Dressed in Blood, please sign up.

Sophie I have read both the Diviners and this, and personally, I think that the diviners was more scary. I love them both so much! This is such a good read,…moreI have read both the Diviners and this, and personally, I think that the diviners was more scary. I love them both so much! This is such a good read, give it a try!(less)
Sophie It is said that there will be a movie, which will be directed by stephanie meyer. Yes, that stephanie meyer. For more information there is a website…moreIt is said that there will be a movie, which will be directed by stephanie meyer. Yes, that stephanie meyer. For more information there is a website about it, here is the link: http://booksaredelicious.com/2014/04/...(less)
Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
5th out of 731 books — 3,142 voters
Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare BlakeSilence by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareThe Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle HodkinShattered Souls by Mary Lindsey
Best Cover Fall/Winter 2011
1st out of 408 books — 1,635 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
May 14, 2012 karen rated it it was amazing

a million stars for anna dressed in awesome.

i was so hoping to be scared by this book. the way i was hoping to cry reading a monster calls. and it is fine that i wasn't and that i didn't - apparently i have no discernible human emotional response except an ability to become enthusiastic over well-written prose. and that's enough, for a life.

i don't even care that this book wasn't scary - it was so fun, and that is usually all i need to be riveted. did it have flaws? sure! were there things in th
Wendy Darling
Sep 14, 2011 Wendy Darling rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
Recommended to Wendy Darling by: Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Have you ever stood in your house, listening to a quiet, unfamiliar noise, and felt the hair rise on the back of your neck? Cas Lowood has, and the unholy hell of what he finds when he investigates will make you jump a little bit in your seat. He's a 17-year-old who kills the dead with a magic athame, just as his father did before him--and now he's faced with the task of killing Anna, a homicidal ghost who was murdered more than 60 years ago.

Cas is a fantastically strong and appealing protagonis
Kat Kennedy
I don't believe in ghosts. I don't believe in Ouji boards, aliens, loch ness monsters, abominable snowmen, poltergeists, republicans or any of that other stuff.

My little brother makes me watch those ghost hunter documentaries (I'm using that term lightly) and tries to show me the DARN FACTS, DAMNIT KATE! WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THAT THEY'RE REAL?

Funny how he believes in ghosts but not the continued statistical evidence that indicates women still suffer from inequality and, yes little brother, even in
Steph Sinclair

Don't forget to check out the epic interview story with Kendare Blake over at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog!

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Sometimes you read books that are visibly bad. So bad, in fact, that they make you want to throw yourself head first out a window, but you keep on reading and reading. You might even feel yourself losing your will to live about halfway through. But somehow, by the end of the book, you end up liking it anyway because it entertained you. The badness was just that entertaini
Stephen
Dec 31, 2011 Stephen rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, ebooks, ya, ghosts, 2011
Oh Anna…you strong, saucy, serial-killing, ripping-bodies-in-two “ghostess with the mostess”…where have you been all my life?

This book is a few menu items to the right of my normal literary diet and so I want extend a warm thank you to my YA sommeliers, Emily May, Wendy Darling and Maja, for turning me on to this. You took right and proper care of me with this recommendation, and while I couldn’t quite bring myself to give away the 4th star, I did find mucho to enjoy about this novel plan to gr
Navessa
Feb 14, 2016 Navessa rated it really liked it
I'M ABOUT TO SPAM THE SHIT OUT OF YOU WITH SUPERNATURAL SHENANNIGANS. SO IF GIF-HAPPY REVIEWS AREN'T YOUR THING, LOOK AWAY NOW.

I picked this up for one reason and one reason alone.

This past week, I had the plague - given to me by a yet unidentified coworker. (view spoiler) During my many days off, I decided to distract myself from the threat of exorcist-style spray painting my bedroom by binge-watching Supernatural.

Best. Decision.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story.

Not many authors can scare you to death by eliciting vivid, gruesome imagery and, at the same time, take your breath away with sheer beauty of their prose. I never expected Kendare Blake to be one of those authors – that’s why her book took me completely by surprise. It was very different from what I thought it would be. When I choose a book based on a beautiful cover and an intriguing title (and yes, I really AM that shallow),
Ana {The Good Gif Fairy}
Nov 08, 2015 Ana {The Good Gif Fairy} rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-reads
4.5 Anna Stars

photo 1febe98a27627a9fc0c9cc02477bbb85.jpg_zpscebiiiav.gif

I'm not going to write a long review. There's really no need. Anna Dressed in Blood is New York Times bestselling author Kendare Blake's most provocative, compelling, and heart-wrenching story yet, and most reviews rate it as excellent. Those facts speak for themselves and there really is nothing to say other than to echo the praise of previous reviewers.

I shall say only one thing. Read it if you haven't already.

photo tumblr_mw9pn9zStX1sfhksto1_500_zps7v694mkt.gif

Emily May
Mar 30, 2012 Emily May rated it really liked it

Anna Dressed in Blood was a surprisingly good read. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting, something typical of young adult urban fantasy perhaps... same old characters, lots of romancing, maybe even an interesting little mystery to give the book some semblance of plot if we're lucky. I was really quite pleased with this exciting, slightly spooky, and wholly entertaining start to the series.

I cannot stress highly enough how glad I am that Kendare Blake wrote a romance that was gradually in
Penny
Nov 21, 2011 Penny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First off, I feel I should discuss the cover art: I know, I know--everyone loves this cover. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything for me. Look, I stopped being fooled wowed by cover art after reading Fallen. That's a lie--the cover for the third Paranormalcy book makes me ridiculously happy, but at least I'm fairly certain I'll like that book since I like the first two books in the series.

In my opinion the following would have made a better cover for Anna Dressed In Blood:

Carrie,Prom Queen,Anna Dressed in Blood,They're All Gonna Laugh
Infinitely better, do
The Holy Terror
I'm the first to admit that when something is hyped I give it the ol' stink-eye, and I very rarely enjoy something that's popular or that everyone and their brother tells me I'll like. I pounced on this book before the "ZOMG YOU HAVE TO READ THIS!!1!" crazy train rolled into the station, and I'm really glad I did. This is one of those rare instances where everybody likes a book because it's actually good.

I guess I wasn't paying much attention at first glance, mostly to avoid spoilers, but I was
Megs ♥
Mar 09, 2012 Megs ♥ rated it liked it
Recommended to Megs ♥ by: Heidi

Ughh. The first half of this book I would say was a solid 4/5. The second half, unfortunately, put me to sleep. 3/5 stars I guess to balance it out, but right now I feel that is even generous.

When I went into this book I had zero expectations. I think ghosts are cool, and I was really just looking for something super creepy, because that was what I was in the mood for. I didn't even really have anything to compare this to, because I haven't read very many ghost books and have never watched any
Catie
Oct 07, 2011 Catie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011, ya, horror
2 stars

Ho hum. I hate it when this happens. You guys are all inside having a party with roasted chestnuts and hot cider and giant booming laughs and I am out here on a frigid winter’s night peering in through the frosty glass. (Oh yes. I am that dramatic.) But melodrama aside, I hate being the one to dislike something that everyone else loves. I’m sure we’ve all been here a time or two and it’s never fun. I'm not sure why I couldn't get into this one, but I am willing to admit that it may be be
Mario
Sep 15, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, own-read
But hey, at least we’ll have this strange story to tell, love and death and blood and daddy-issues. And holy crap, I’m a psychiatrist’s wet dream.

This book was so much better than I expected it to be. I expected a classic YA romance ghost story, but I got so much more. Surprisingly, romance played a small part in this novel, and that was refreshing to read. And none of the main characters annoyed me (especially the main character, Cas). And for a YA novel, that surprised me.

Also, this book was
Melissa Martin

RIGHT OFF THE BAT WITH THE GHOSTY ACTION! :) WOOT!

Theseus Cassio Lowood (Cas) is a ghost hunter just like his father. His father unfortunately was killed by a ghost so Cas has made it his mission to walk in his father's footsteps. Right off the bat he kills a ghost people called the Hiker because this ghost is killing people because he himself was murdered. Since this can't be happening, Cas kills them with his father's athame knife.

Cas and his mom move
Jo
“You do know what we’re dealing with here, don’t you?” I ask. “She’s not just a ghost. She’s a hurricane. Overkill is fine by me.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
I don’t know about something strange but there’s definitely somethingin this neighborhood.

High Points.
Cas. Anna. Telepathic Tagalongs. Girls with too much daylight about them. Bloody deaths. Ghosts. Ghostbustin'. Cool mamas. Daddy issues. Moody kitties. Attic Ladders. Hitchhikers. Prom dresses. Drip, drip, drip. Ghost stories. Small town
HeatherJay
Jul 19, 2012 HeatherJay rated it really liked it
When I was 13, my best friend, I'll call her Evil Kristin, thought it would be funny to scare the living shit out of me. Unfortunately, she decided to make this a regular occurence as scaring me was so very entertaining.I remember at a sleepover her mother had recently bought the hardcover of the book "The Exorcist". She put it right next to my pillow so that when I woke up it would be staring at me. For those who have never seen the book, here you go:

The next morning I turned over and stared i
Anzu The Great Destroyer
I started this with very high expectations. Everyone kept giving it high ratings, most of my friends were already reading it and talking about it between each other. I felt left alone! So I said f*ck it I’ll drop my current to-read list and start it. Good call that was.

Now how can I review Anna Dressed in Blood without acting like a total fangirl? Oh how about some pretty pictures that reflect my experience?

A-f*cking-mazing!! I was having the time of my life while reading this!

A love story betw
Limonessa
Jan 13, 2012 Limonessa rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-lit, ebook
3.5 stars.

And just when you think you’ve read every possible variable of a story in YA paranormal Anna dressed in Blood comes along. Kudos to Kendare Blake for that!

You know all those scary, blood-and-gore movies you’ve seen (which I can assure I haven’t) about ax-murderers, chainsawers, hellraisers or nightmares on Elm Street? The ones of which I can’t even watch the trailers on TV or I’ll hear creepy noises in the house at night at least for a month? If you have… have you ever sided with th
Giselle
Sep 13, 2011 Giselle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anna Dressed in Blood is YA meet Amityville Horror. It was creepy and ominous, but also funny. I didn't find it incredibly scary, just kind of spooky - well ok, a lot spooky. I did love it though, I absolutely did!

Firstly, it was refreshing to have a male protagonist. I wish there were more books as such. Theseus Cassio (Cas) is our main character in this novel and he's awesome! He has a great sense of humour and he's such a sweetheart. I adored his character. He's had a tough life being a ghost
Courtney Allison Moulton
Apr 08, 2011 Courtney Allison Moulton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
My favorite book of 2011! Gorgeous, brutal, heart-breaking, merciless, and cool as Hell. This is the kind of book I've been dying to read! You guys HAVE to read this one.
Joe
Jul 17, 2015 Joe rated it liked it
Anna Dressed in Blood has been brought to you by:
Cas totes needs this tattoo on his bicep
Why use tap water for witchcraft spells when you can use Dasani?

Full disclosure: I approached Anna Dressed in Blood with a great amount of trepidation. After all, it’s patently obvious that I am not a fan of teenage supernatural romances. My track record speaks for itself and I am clearly not the demographic at whom this market is aimed. Teens swooning over creatures that can kill them has, for all intents and purposes, been played out. Now that
☆☽Erica☾☆
Mar 23, 2016 ☆☽Erica☾☆ rated it really liked it

First of all, let me say how grateful I am that I wasn't reading this at nighttime.

That being said, I wasn't overly scared by this but it was scary. It is a horror/thriller novel about a boy whose job is to kill bad ghosts that are still wandering around.

Him and his mom travel the world so he can kill particularly violent ghosts. This tradition/ job/ thing was passed down from his father who was also a ghost hunter that happened to be killed by one of them. So now, his son, with the help of a ma
Rane

Ghosts scare the crap outta me.

But like a moth attracted to a bright bug zapper, I’ve always loved reading ghost stories or watching those scary ghost movies. So going to sleep with half the lights on in the house making it feel like mid-day instead of midnight is a given for me, but I just can’t pass up a good ghost story.

Anna Dressed in Blood scared the crap outta me, gave me nightmares and I loved every bit of it.
The book had the perfect pitch in scariness,characters and pacing. The auth
Kay
Feb 15, 2012 Kay rated it liked it
Recommends it for: you left your alter ego in canada
Recommended to Kay by: dean winchester
Well, I found the one picture that pretty much sums up the premise of the book:

Synopsis

AMIRIGHT???

I am taking some liberties, though the picture isn't too far off the mark. Young Dean Winchester Cas Lowood is a ghost hunter. He travels around the country with his mom and cat to fight off malevolent ghosts that harm people. One day, Cas gets a tip that an especially angry spirit, called Paris Hilton Anna Dressed in Blood, is killing people. Intrigued, Cas packs up the family and his treasured k
MISS VAIN
Sep 09, 2011 MISS VAIN rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Beautiful Creatures

The city smells of smoke and things that rot in the summer. I think of her again. Anna. Anna Dressed in Blood.

I wonder what tricks she'll try.

I wonder if she'll be clever.

Will she float?

Will she laugh or scream?

How will she try to kill me?

This gothic ghost story is Eery, and Spooky, and Romantic, and Heartbreaking. All I can think about is how Kendare Blake is going to fulfill my expectations in the sequel Girl of Nightmares.

I adored Cas,he was irresistible, smart, witty, confident, and E
Spider the Doof Warrior
Jan 20, 2015 Spider the Doof Warrior rated it it was amazing
I really just want more of this book. More of these characters. Just more. I couldn't get enough of them. I loved the unexpected twists and turns this book took. I loved the bravery of the characters. I wasn't too fond of the gore, but if you like gore and scary things, you will love this book. Or, if you just like a book where characters fit together in a fascinating way and you want to skip the gory bits, you can do that too.

So I read it again and I still enjoyed it. Especially Anna. She's so
Lucy
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
2.5 Stars

Part of my "Huge Review Binge 2k15" (aka trying to catch up on reviews I haven't done in the past two years)

Date read: December 17th, 2013
Date reviewed: July 17th, 2015

----------

"Anna was on her way to a school dance when she was killed. Someone cut her throat … They say she was wearing a white party dress, and when they found her, the whole thing was stained red. That's why they call her Anna Dressed in Blood."

My thoughts:

There was so much buzz about this book when it first came out
Ben Alderson
Jan 05, 2014 Ben Alderson rated it it was amazing
OMG OMG OMG THIS WAS AMAZING! I LOVED IT! SO MUCH ACTION AND LOVE AND DEATH AND CREEPINESS ! on to the next one babys
What is the SCARIEST book you've read and WHY? 16 162 Sep 24, 2016 04:16PM
i need someone to talk to 9 17 Aug 15, 2016 02:51AM
  • Necromancing the Stone (Necromancer, #2)
  • The Space Between
  • Possess
  • Queen of the Dead (The Ghost and the Goth, #2)
  • Texas Gothic (Goodnight Family #1)
  • Shattered Souls (Souls, #1)
  • Drink, Slay, Love
  • Scorch (Croak, #2)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1)
  • Sweetly (Fairytale Retellings, #2)
  • Cold Kiss (Cold Kiss, #1)
  • Lips Touch: Three Times
  • Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1)
  • Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)
  • Imaginary Girls
  • Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2)
So, I write books. The Anna Dressed in Blood duo is horror, The Goddess War trilogy is mythology, and Sleepwalk Society is contemporary, because the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some. Love to read, too. Fiction, philosophy, good books, bad books, because you take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have a st ...more
More about Kendare Blake...

Anna (2 books)
  • Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)

“You make me want things I can't have.” 550 likes