Start by marking “Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9)” as Want to Read:
Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9)

Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen #9)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  6,581 ratings  ·  352 reviews
It's Tri-County fair time and Lake Eden, Minnesota, is buzzing with more than mosquitoes. Hannah Swensen, owner of The Cookie Jar, is hot on the trail of a killer whose perfect carnival prize would be getting away with murder...

It promises to be a busy week for Hannah Swensen. Not only is she whipping up treats for the chamber of commerce booth at the fair; she's also judg
Published February 1st 2008 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Key Lime Pie Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Key Lime Pie Murder

Michalyn
Boring book, boring town, great recipes.

That for me sums up Key Lime Pie Murder. I usually love books centered around food because they tend to be charming and incorporate a dash of sensuality. This was not the case with this book. Hannah Swensen is the full-time owner of a local bakery and part-time detective. When she finds Willa, a bake and beauty contest judge dead, she sets out to find the killer and bring him to justice.

Great mysteries are known for their tight pacing and "never-let-up" su
Tiffiny
Jun 13, 2008 Tiffiny rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. Don't bother with it. You can probably find the recipes online.
Recommended to Tiffiny by: I was giving the series one more try.
I loathed this book. The series started off so cute for me. I was thrilled to find a series with no bad language, no sex --nothing objectionable so that I would feel embarrassed if my oldest child picked it up.

It's all gone downhill.

I was actually listening to the book on CD, and when I got to the point when Hannah inevitably finds a dead body, (and where she was musing that she ought to seek Mike's help). She started rationalizing that if she was wrong she'd look like a fool, and I knew she wa
May
Joanne Fluke should just do cookbooks.

Seriously, her recipes are great, at least all the ones I've tried. But the characters and stories in this series? They're stale. They need to actually DO something, grow, or just get new characters all together. This is the last of this series I'm going to read.

Hannah is still in the middle of a love triangle, one where she's kissing and thinking about forever with two different guys... and it's enough already. I find it impossible to believe that they're
I did finish the book. Barely. Things I didn't like:

* The recipes have cheesy notes in them, like (if you can't get key limes, use regular lime juice). The notes are bold italics, so they look more important than the actual ingredient.
* There are constant admonitions to "just beat the eggs in a glass with a fork"
* The writing is awful. This book reads like a first draft that hasn't been edited. Wordy, clunky, and generally annoying. Please recognize that this criticism comes from someone who rea
Tiffunee
The small-town cozy from Fluke. When one of her fellow judges, home economics teacher Willa Sunquist, is murdered, Hannah determines to sniff out the killer. Was it a man from Willa's mysterious past? Or a student she flunked? Fluke has developed a charming supporting cast—Hannah's besotted (and slightly spineless) two suitors, her overbearing but likable mother, her endearing sisters and her levelheaded business partner all feel like friends by the time the murder is solved.
This was wonderful,
Pat
Recipes galore and a fun read. She is a good mystery writer for women. No gore. Nothing to gross one out and give you nightmares. A good women's writer.
Kasia S.
Lipsmackingly delicious slice of mystery pie

The ninth in the series is exactly what one would expect, yummy and dependable to deliver that specific Hannah charm and the sweet aromas of the Cookie Jar to keep the mind wrapped around sweets half the time, I never crave chocolate and coffee as when I read these books, it's just insane! The baker /sleuth combo is quite tasty when one reaches for this book, Hanna is the owner of the Cookie Jar and along with her coworkers, friends and family this sma
If I were a fictional character planning on murdering someone in Lake Eden, Minnesota, I would first ensure that Hannah Swensen, baker-sleuth-extraordinaire, was indefinitely incapacitated, because it would seem that none of these murders-- the recipients of whom she always just happens to come across right after the deed has been done-- would be solved without her saavy (savvy? I can never remember) amateur skills. This is the 9th book in a series that is currently 14 books long, and the premis ...more
Writerlibrarian
Totally different breed of mystery, this is the 10th book in Fluke's Hannah Swensen mystery series and we are no way close to a resolution of the love triangle that's been dragging this series in my opinion for quite a few books now. It would be wise that Fluke has her lead character finally choose because I'm beginning to want to see Norman and Mike walk off in the sunset together. The mystery set around the death of one of the judge in the food competition at the county fair was simple and not ...more
Emma Darragh
This is the second Hannah Swenson mystery I've read. Let me tell you what I don't like about this series: Hannah and her circle of family and friends are all Mary Sues. They are good, through and through. Too good. A little bit annoying - that's how good they are.
Also, Hannah is a total grammar snob - mentally correcting other characters' grammar. I can appreciate this, but it comes across a bit like an English lesson.
Last on my list of complaints is that the dialogue is very artificial. The cha
April
I'd heard that these books were cute; I just found this one to be boring. Yet when I told myself I was just going to stop reading it - I kept going back to it. I definitely skimmed large portions of it, the mystery wasn't really a mystery (easy to solve), and the characters didn't ring true. Hannah is only supposed to be 30, but the way she was written she seemed like a frumpy 60+, who wore pantsuits and didn't know the slightest thing about computers or cell phones. But she had two desirable me ...more
Karol
I absolutely love the characters in the Hannah Swenson series. I enjoyed seeing more of Hannah's younger sister, Michelle, as well as the affection between Norman (one of Hannah's suitors) and her cat Moishe. This books was a little less focused on the romantic triangle, and a little more focused on the community, the mystery, and Hannah's family, which is why I like it better than #8 in the series. But I really do wish Hannah would fish or cut bait when it comes to the men in her life.

I'm looki
George
#9 in the Hannah Swensen mystery series. Hannah is co-owner of The Cookie Jar bakery in Lake Eden, Minnesota and the novel is filled with recipes of the items mentioned in the story. Much of the story revolves around Hannah's relations with the two men (Mike, police detective, & Norman, dentist) she loves and love her and Hannah's relations with her family members. This story involves the many activities involving Hannah, family and friends in a big local fair and rodeo. The fun is interrupt ...more
Kristen
I like the characters in these mysteries more than I like the mysteries themselves. Fluke has developed a charming supporting cast—Hannah's besotted (and slightly spineless) two suitors, her overbearing but likable mother, her endearing sisters and her levelheaded business partner all feel like friends by the time the murder is solved. Hannah needs to decide on a man though!
Kristen
I love this series, and Fluke once again serves up a light, sweet read. She even managed to raise the emotional stakes in Hannah's which-guy? problem - not a minor feat after 8 or 9 books of this series. I am impressed.
Jodi
This was the last Hannah Swensen book that I hadn't read and it filled in all the missing blanks for me so I really enjoyed it. Hannah is judging the baked goods at the local fair when one of the other judges ends up dead. She doesn't hesitate to investigate. In this book she's a pretty sharp investigator. Which is not to say that the police aren't as well. They come up with the answer about the same time as she does, but without risking their lives. It was one of the last books to make the love ...more
Luffy Monkey D.
I'll be a very happy person if all my cozy mysteries are as good as this one. After scoring 1 star in the last 3 books - after which I took a long hiatus from reading these books - in the series, this one surprised me. The irritating characters were not themselves, and that helped. Also I'm quite smug about this book. Not that because I divined the culprit, but because I caught Hannah Swensen, the well educated grammar Nazi, misusing an expression. We don't say hold down the fort, but hold the ...more
Dharia Scarab
I still like this series, but after 9 books it bugs the hell out of me that this love triangle has been turned into a love square with the "out of town but keeping the flame burning" old college friend Ross sending gifts and flowers.

Hannah needs to grow up and either pick a guy or cut them all loose. Sure she can care about more than one guy, but as she herself admitted in a previous book, she's not head over heals for either of them.

I'd like to see her either pick Norman or break up with both N
Michelle
I am usually in love with Hannah Swensen books, but Key Lime Pie murder was a hard pill to swallow.

I usually have my complaints about how Joanne Fluke writes certain characters and the never ending love triangle, but I can read each book faster then my library has them available. This time around I found myself skipping dialog that didn't seem to matter, and just wishing for her to find who done it so I can get to the next book in the series. Plus! I am really getting annoyed how everyone says
Carmen
First off, I really enjoy the Hannah Swensen/Cookie Jar series. This was not my favorite book of the series, but it was a fun read.

I love the County Fair setting, since Hubby and I are very familiar with that piece of heaven called battered-and-deep-fried-fair-food-on-a-stick. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm! LOL. And as always, the recipes included are yummy and actually possible for a cooking dork like myself.

My main problem with the story was that it was too easy to figure out which character was the bad guy
Janastasia Whydra
Joanne Fluke's Key Lime Pie Murder is not one of the strongest books in the series. I had a difficult time trying to be interested enough to finish it. The plot was too similar to the second book in the series, Strawberry Shortcake Murder, where Hannah Swensen is a on a panel of judges for a baking contest and one of the fellow judges is murdered. Granted, the victim, murderer, and motive were different, but I still did not appreciate the recycling of plot.

As usual, I was able to figure out who
Kris
I like Joanne Fluke - what can I say? I also love the recipes in the books, but don't ever try them. I want to but hey, I'm the only person who eats sweet stuff in this house so it would be pointless!

But on to the book. I really enjoy thinking about small town Minnesota and having a cookie shop, and sometimes I picture me being Hannah Swenson. She's doing her dream job - who wouldn't like that?! But all the near death experiences I could do without!

In this book she had lots of help from her sis
Lorraine
The Tri-State Fair and Rodeo has arrived in Lake Eden and Hannah and her family are totally wrapped up in participating. Hannah is making cookies for the Cookie Booth and judging the baking. Delores is running the Lake Eden Historical society stall complete with dunk tank, Andrea is entered with Tracey in the look-alike mother-daughter contest, her baby is entered in the most beautiful baby contest, and little sister Michelle is entered in the Miss Tri-State contest. Moise is not eating his food ...more
Rebecca
It's time for the Tri-County Fair, and local cookie-baker Hannah gets tapped as a judge for all the baking competitions. When she stumbles over the body of Willa, one of the other judges one night after the fair has closed, she once more gets involved in another murder. Her two swains are close at hand; Mike, the detective, wants her to stay out of it (of course). Norman, the dentist, helps her at every turn, and also helps her solve the mystery of why her cat has taken to staring out the window ...more
Rochelle
Well written and actually deals with the subject material; namely the murder. But it took a long time to get there. I have noticed a trend in Cozy mysteries lately. The focus is on the protagonist and her/his personal life, love life, interesting job, etc. The murders are taking a back seat. Its annoying. This book almost did that, but redeemed itself half way through.

One thing, I really hated, although it has nothing to do with the story, is the author's constant badgering on what looks good o
Rachel Cotterill
This is the ninth Hannah Swensen mystery, and has all the elements I've come to expect: a murder (of course); an amateur investigation by Hannah and friends; a bit of good-natured 'competition' between them and the local police, usually leading to some silly decisions on Hannah's part; a food-related sub-plot to provide a source of recipes; continuing (still very slow) development of the romantic sub-plot with Mike and Norman.

The backdrop for this particular novel is the Tri-County Fair, so Hann
Heidi
Hannah owns a cookie shop called The Cookie Jar in Lake Eden, Minnesota. She has a cuddly big tomcat called Moishe and not one but two men in her life who both want to marry her. The inhabitants of Lake Eden come to life in these books. If you have never read one, I would recommend you get a hold of them to read in order as the characters do build up in each of them.

Hannah finds herself being a judge for the baking contests at the county fair. There are two other judges, Pam and Willa, who test
Mary
Nov 15, 2008 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes cooking mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: found on library shelves
Nancy
Hannah is thirty years old, and is dating two men. She can't decide which man she loves the most. Mike is a policemen, and he shows up often in these books to save her. Mike is exciting. Norman is a dentist. He is dependable and kind to Hannah. He helps her with her pet cat. Hannah and Norman designed a house together for a contest, and later Norman build it.

There is a county fair going on in this book. Hannah is one of the judges for the baked goods enteries. Her younger sister is running for
lisa
so i just finished (well, i finished it last night) the 9th book in fluke's hannah swensen mystery series. it was good. it was different from the others one though in that the murder didn't happen until 130 pages or so in, which is unusual for one of her books. however, what is perhaps more interesting is that in this book she attends to some of the ongoing plot lines with a little bit more depth, and if you're an avid reader of this series i'll start with the one that is the most obvious--the n ...more
Tedious and formulaic 3 19 Nov 20, 2013 11:57AM
The Women's Myste...: #9 Key Lime Pie Murder 1 5 Aug 09, 2013 11:17PM
Key Lime Pie Murder 5 46 Nov 05, 2012 08:42PM
  • Sugar and Spice
  • Killer Pancake (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #5)
  • Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Latte Trouble (Coffeehouse Mystery, #3)
  • The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)
Like Hannah Swensen, Joanne Fluke grew up in a small town in rural Minnesota where her neighbors were friendly, the winters were fierce, and the biggest scandal was the spotting of unidentified male undergarments on a young widow's clothesline. She insists that there really are 10,000 lakes and the mosquito is NOT the state bird.

While pursuing her writing career, Joanne has worked as: a public sch
More about Joanne Fluke...
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5) Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8) Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2) Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)