Start by marking “Hot Night” as Want to Read:
Hot Night

Hot Night

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,384 ratings  ·  60 reviews
In The Crosshairs. . . Abby Maitland just landed a dazzling exhibit of priceless Spanish treasure for the museum--and someone would kill for it. Whether she likes it or not, Zan Duncan has to protect her. But Abby's mesmerized by Zan's untamed strength and very sexual vibe. From the long dark hair, the thick, hard muscles, and the black leather jacket right on down to the...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published September 26th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Night

Shawna
4 stars – Romantic Suspense

Whew...This gave me a "Hot Night" indeed! Zan Duncan is a girl's ultimate tattooed, leather-clad bad boy fantasy: tall, muscular, with long, silky dark hair, topaz gold eyes, a naughty, dimpled grin, and an impressive...package...with the stamina and skills to match. I liked Zan, even though he definitely pushed into creepy macho category several times, but I found Abby so annoying and wishy-washy that his sometimes aggressive behavior towards her didn't really bother...more
Zeek
Hot and steamy romantic suspense. I love the heroes this author writes. Animal magnetism and over the top sexual heat along with a heroine I liked despite their tendencies to over react to things that could easily be worked through... if u were a mature couple anyway. Despite this and a predictable plot, the scorching chemistry these two generate makes it worth the read. 4.5 from me! :P
☂ ℬrandi
The good stuff:
I learned some new words: speechifying and galleon to name a few.

The hero, Zan (Ale"xan"der): He's real, domineering, vulnerable and absolutely amazing. I wish this story would have been less about the suspense/thriller and more about the relationship because Zan was so, so great. I know it might not have been such a good read without all the plotting but all the pages wasted on Matty, Lucien, Elaine, Nannette, Bridget, etc. took away from Zan.

The intensity between Abby and Zan w...more
Farah
Zan is seriously delicious. His flirty ways .. his wicked humor .. his incredible charm .. his arrogance mixed with vulnerability and even just a little insecurity .. I was swooning all over the place !! I really wished the focus was completely on him and Abby rather than the divided attention to so many other characters. Abby was one of a kind .. she wasn't the brightest person out there since she blabbed about her plans to Lucien but she wasn't so bad at the end .. she had guts and I loved t...more
Jane Stewart
Wow! Great! Loved it! Wanted to read the whole book in one sitting.

This is equal parts suspense thriller and scorchingly hot romance. The suspense was frightening and kept me awake for a couple of nights, so be forewarned. The bad guy Lucien is frighteningly evil, cunning, smart, smooth and handsome. Zan is MIT intelligent, passionate and a gorgeous hunk. Abby has had some bad luck in life, including her bad choices in men. She survived and has succeeded in spite of those drawbacks.

Because of a...more
CrazyPenguinLady
I really tried to care about Abby, but it was just too hard. She went from being a naive doormat in the past to being a rude snob. She's also an idiot. She gets in a car with a stranger, but doesn't go to his house because it might not be safe? Like I said, idiot.

And Zan, I don't understand what he saw in her. Don't you have any dignity, man? To hell with her! His utter devotion was annoying and creepy.

Frankly, the only character I cared about was Elaine.

I stopped reading right after the first s...more
Barbara Elsborg
She's good. All her stories are so similar and yet different. Strong women who might seem weak but aren't. Bad boys with issues for heroes. Proper plots - she does romantic suspense better than most. Hot sex. Hotter actually that I usually expect from Brava books but always fits with the story. The villain was horrible - which was great! An very enjoyable read.
Jona
GREAT SUSPENSE THRILLER!

Shannon writes amazing erotic thriller books and I had wonderful time reading them. I highly recommend this and the rest of her books. It is beautifully written and very addictive. All her books have alpha male and strong female and she has such excellent talent.

Pamela(AllHoney)
A hot and steamy read. Ms McKenna can certainly put out some drool-worthy heroes. The hero, Zan, is smart, gorgeous and alpha. Abby had her issues and doesn't trust Zan's interest. Great balance of romance and suspense with an emphasis on HOT romance.
Cindy
And a hot night it is! Or actually it is longer than one night. It is a hot story. I liked the beginning about Abby locking herself out and Zan coming into her life.
It is as good as the McCloud series. It is in the same style, but without the mention of those brothers and their friends. Speaking of brothers, I would like to read more about Zan’s brothers.
But this story was a story I couldn’t stop reading. Luckily I started with it on a Saturday so I could finish it today on my free Sunday.
If y...more
Heidi c
This is my favorite Shannon Mckenna book... Zan is HOT!
Robin Covington
LOVE LOVE LOVE Shannon!
Sofia Grey
I stumbled on Shannon McKenna by accident in the library, spotting the Brava symbol on the spine. Kensington Brava books are HOT, and usually a great read, so I dived straight in. I could have kept quoting all night long, flicking through the pages now is like trying to choose your favourite items from a massive menu. You know you have to restrict yourself to your favourites, but still, there's always room for one more, hee hee.

It’s Bad Boy Heaven. Zan (Alexander) Duncan has the motorbikes, the...more
Desiree
2.5-3 stars.

This is the second book by SM I've read and it'll probably be my last. There is, unfortunately, something about her writing that I don't connect with completely.

The story was fine and entertaining in some parts but I wanted the book to end about 100-150 pages before the author ended it. Both books I've read have been a struggle for me to get through.

Hot Night had very few characters I liked. I liked Zan, I sometimes liked Abby, I really liked Nanette, but pretty much everyone else...more
Ann has a dirty mouth
So, I don't really know how to rate this book. Did I like it? I am pretty sure I did, there is definitely a lot that I loved about it. I am going to end with that though, so the review doesn't seem so negative.

For one thing, Zan really irritated me as a name. I pretended his name was Dan. For another thing, like Travis in Beautiful Disaster, he was a what you see is what you get, wrong side of the tracks asshole where there is really no excuse at all made for his controlling and dickish behavio...more
July
Wew! Just finished this. Bad guy will give you the creeps. Good looking guy that no one see's coming. Very rich and changes looks to slightly to cover his role. Good guy is bad ass, knows how to fight, is smart, good looking. But got into trouble when he was young so he did not go to MIT school of his dreams. Now he consults for computers during the day and locksmith at night. It was during his locksmith duties that he meets Abby. Zan saves Abby from a date from Hell.
During another date gone ba...more
Lynn Aoude
Well it was a good book. I enjoyed the plot. The story was interesting. However, the characters kinda diminished the book's worth.

Abby is a pushover. She can't say no to any of her museum co-workers. It might be considered as clinging ro her job, but really when it comes to her personal life she should've said NO to everyone and everything. The only one she gave a hard time to is Zan, and that's just because she's a judgmental bitch. His appearance dictated his personality (in her book) and the...more
Applefruit
This is typical Shannon McKenna fare. If you've read one book, you've read them all. I'm not complaining. She's a decent writer with a knack for the outrageous. Her stories won't bore you. I've just decided, however, that I really don't like her heroines or her heroes (for the most part). The women are blithering, mindless idiots who swing from constant anger to constant desire. It's annoying. The main girl in this book was Abby Maitland, and I intensely disliked her. She's a materialistic, shal...more
Lori Whitwam
I got this because since I'm writing a romantic suspense, I figured I should read one! I've picked up a few, but really enjoyed this one. The intensity between Abby and Zan is awesome. The suspense part is well-written and has a plausible, sufficiently complex plot, which doesn't detract too much from the romance. The sparks of conflict between the characters keeps it interesting, and the sex scenes are totally hot. It goes into some vocabulary I don't tend to use when I'm writing sex scenes......more
Allison Warkentien
I wasn't sure how I was going to like this because it is so different from my paranormal books, but I really enjoyed it. Zan was interesting because he was such a screw up yet completely passionate in his actions. He really loved Abby and didn't care what it cost him. Abby loved him and, while dealing with the lose of her friend, she desperately needs Zan as a friend and a lover. The suspense part of the book kept me hooked. The plot was inticing but not to complicated that I felt lost. I am def...more
Kari
OK this was more like 2.5 stars. I usually really like Ms. McKenna's work, but this one I just didn't like all that much. There really was no mystery, no guessing who did it since you know all along. I didn't buy into the HEA ending at all. I mean, beyond lust, how did they fall in love? They never talked about themselves, they were either having sex or fighting. Seriously no communication either. I've read better by her.
Kathy Muhr hart
Early McKenna. Definitely not her best. But if you're a fan it's worth the read. I thought the female character did some wimpy things that wouldn't really happen. But if she had done what she really would half the story wouldn't have happened. Loved Zan. There was potential for this book to be the first in a series - plenty of interesting characters - but she didn't. I imagine she got distracted by the McClouds.
Mai Hyukkie
ขอบอกเลยว่าแซน ดิบเถื่อนมากกกกก เหมือนที่หลังปกบอกนั้นละ
หัวดื้อ ชอบบงการ ขี้หึง ขี้โมโห และไม่ค่อยพูดอีกต่างหากกก ออกแนวเข้าใจยากนะ
ในเรื่องเกิดเร็วมาก น่าจะไม่เกินสองสัปดาห์ แอ๊บบี้ก็เซ็กซี่มากกกกกกก ยิ่งถูกใจแซนเข้าไปใหญ่
เรื่องนี้เป็นเรื่องแปลกที่เราไม่ค่อยชอบพระเอกนะ เราว่าเข้าใจยากเกินไปหน่อย
แต่เล่มนี้แปลได้ไม่มีปัญหานะ อาจจะเป็นเพราะเราอาจจะข้ามฉากฮอตๆ ไปหน่อยบ้าง
โดยร่วมอ่านแล้วเฉยๆ เรื่อยๆ
Danielle
I don't really believe in the HEA of this couple. They kept giving up on each other throughout the book and they never really had much time to develop a bond. It was really just sex the whole time. The story was good. McKenna is amazing at creating bad guys and impossible situations. I would have liked to see more between the main characters to convince me that they actually belonged to each other.
Marleen
Why is it that writers of steamy romances mostly come up with such poor plotlines and naive and generic characters?
I've read better sexy stories than this one. This is certainly not Shannonn McKenna's best effort. In Hot Night, the lead characters were quite silly and self-absorbed, and far from realistic. It's sad to say that this was quite an uninspired & disappointing read.
Alice
Overall a fun read. Zan and Abby's romance was only part of the action. The best part for me, of course, they definitely had chemistry. Our villain and accomplices were some sick, but thank goodness, bumbling tickets. The story was whole and stand alone. I would add it was also graphic in violence, and sexual encounters.
Apryl Mason
I'm kind of liking these suspense stories. This was good, but it just kind of ended. I think there could have been a little more resolution in the end. I felt like the story kept building and building and then just wimped out; like the author had to meet her deadline and wrap it up in 5 pages. Still pretty good.
Kimberly
Great book! I love how its a murder mystery and romance! A must read for anyone who likes some mystery with alot of romance.
Katie
This book was a reread for me. I really like Shannon McKenna but while I was re-reading this one, I didn't like it as much the second time as I remembered liking it the first time. I think I didn't like the way the two main characters had their love/hate relationship. It was ok for me.
  • Moving Target
  • Ready
  • Kept (Gemini Men, #2)
  • Dangerous Passion (Dangerous, #3)
  • Take Me Tonight (Bullet Catcher, #3)
  • Naked Truth
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • A Kiss to Kill (Passion For Danger, #3)
  • Into the Fire
  • Never Say Never (Callahan Brothers, #2)
  • Crazy Cool (Steele Street, #2)
  • One Dark Night
  • Under the Wire (The Bodyguards, #5)
  • Return to Me (Last Chance Rescue, #2)
Also wrote five category romances under the penname Shannon Anderson

::From The Author's Website::

HOW IT ALL BEGAN

I started writing my first romance novel in secret. I was working a temp job in an insurance office in Manhattan at the time, and the office manager had made it clear that even if there was nothing to do, I still had to look busy-- never one of my big talents. I felt bad about the waste...more
More about Shannon McKenna...
Behind Closed Doors (McClouds & Friends #1) Standing in the Shadows (McClouds & Friends #2) Edge of Midnight (McClouds & Friends #4) Out Of Control (McClouds & Friends #3) Extreme Danger (McClouds & Friends #5)

“He probably ate girls like her for breakfast. They all did. They all had. She had no intention of being eaten for breakfast, ever again.

Her naughty brain took that thought, twirled it around and had a party with it.”
10 likes
“Your luck is about to change, Abby.' His voice was low and velvety. 'I know a lot about you. I know how to get into your apartment. How to turn your cat into a noodle. The magnets on your fridge, the view from your window. Your perfume. I could find you blindfolded in a room full of strangers.' His fingers penetrated the veil of her hair, his forefinger stroking the back of her neck with controlled gentleness. 'And I learn fast. Give me ten minutes, and I'd know lots more.” 9 likes