Start by marking “The Caner's Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Caner's Handbook

The Caner's Handbook

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Give life to old cane furniture as well as weaving seats and backs for new pieces. Traditional techniques and new shortcuts make caning with wicker, rattan, raw-hide, and other materials easy. Useful charts detail how much fiber to buy and what standard lengths are available. “An excellent purchase for any size library.”—Library Journal.
Published December 31st 1991 by Lark Crafts (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Caner's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Caner's Handbook

I only read the section on the 7 step method of caning chairs since at this time I'm trying to learn how to do it. For myself I find that Cane & Rush Seating by Margery Brown is a book that explains the steps more concisely and better than this book. It also presents better diagrams. I also feel Making Chair Seats from Cane, Rush and Other Natural Materials by Ruth B. Comstock more easy to understand. I will go back to this book for a reference from time to time, however.
This is one of the best books on caning and seat weaving among the several I took from the library. It has clear photographs as well as drawn diagrams and covers a range of issues one is likely to encounter when reweaving a piece of furniture. It also discusses more difficult pieces, which has the effect of making the more straightforward pieces look positively easy. I has a chart for sizes of cane and discusses possible variations in weaving design.
Okan added it
Mar 11, 2015
Karen added it
Jul 09, 2014
Jessica Hopkins
Jessica Hopkins marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
David added it
Aug 05, 2013
Casey McNeill
Casey McNeill marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2009