Start by marking “Swept Away (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Swept Away (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #1)

Swept Away (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen #1)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  29 reviews
DISCOVER THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN QUEEN

Published November 5th 1988 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Swept Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swept Away

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. BeagleInto the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce CovilleSong of the Wanderer by Bruce CovilleDark Whispers by Bruce CovilleHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Unicorn Books
28th out of 192 books — 160 voters
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzKristy's Great Idea by Ann M. MartinDouble Love by Francine PascalHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Young Adult Series Books published in the 80s & 90s
182nd out of 370 books — 419 voters

More lists with this book...

Angie
Synopsis: "When her eccentric friend Dr. Reit invents an amazing transport into other worlds, Sheila McCarthy accidentally falls through the portal into the kingdom of Arren. There, Sheila finds herself part of a band of warrior-women. Astride unicorns, they gallop toward a dazzling city made of marble. But will they arrive in time to stop the evil king and his wicked wizard henchman from carrying out their deadly plans? And will Sheila ever be able to return home?

Thus begins the spellbinding st
Moog
This was my absolute favourite book when I was little - like, I have this super vivid memory of tiny 4/5 year old me sitting on our kitchen counters, swinging my tiny legs and telling my grandma all about how great this book was and how many times I had read it (a lot) - but I had never read further than this book in the series. BUT LO! This book and the second one, Sun Blind, are on Kindle! I GET TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!

Anyway, I reread this and it definitely holds up to tiny Meg's opinion. I
Rileyrugrat
Jan 26, 2008 Rileyrugrat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young girls
I started reading "Secret of the Unicorn Queen" when I was around 12-years-old. These are the books that made me fall in love with scifi/Fantasy. Take a normal girl (Shelia), and drop her into a parallel universie with unicorns, a cute boy and an evil tyrant who must be defeated and you've got the makings of a great story. Plus Shelia, has her back-pack full of your basic normal school stuff but that "normal sutff" equates to life-saving magic in the Unicorn Queen's relm.
These books are safe for
Breeanya
This is the first book I read in the fantasy genre. In it's own unique way it was the gateway to my love of fantasy writing. I love this story of time travel, magic, budding love and of course unicorns!!! Even after all these years I still have my art of books.
Deirdre Gilna
The series that, as a young teenager, started my journey into fantasy fiction....thank you so much Josepha Sherman, I really enjoyed this series (and think I may have cried upon reading the last book...)
Nakki
One of my favorite series as a kid! I stole them from the library after checking them out continuously for almost a year :) Oddly enough--rereading these 6 books recently--I was still able to enjoy them. They are very short, but for how short they are they still manage to tell a complete and compelling story. The action keeps moving and I really like the main character. She's very much who every girl would like to be, but has real enough flaws that she doesn't venture into the dreaded Mary Sue t ...more
Ker
I read this back in 1988 and was absolutely enthralled. It remains one of my favorite children's series of all time. Juvenile, sure...but a great bubblegum fantasy read.
Angi
This was my favorite series as a little girl and I still love it 20 years later. I remember getting in trouble for staying up too late reading because even though I had read them a million times, I was still worried about poor Sheila. How could I leave her alone in Arren when time there was so precious?! Throughout the series Sheila has to make tough choices and learn to stick up for herself and others. Fortunately she has a group of strong women (the unicorn warriors) to help her figure things ...more
Lana
One of my favorite series as a kid!! Have almost the entire collection again but they're hard to find!
Nicole
I was so obsessed with this series when I was younger. I found the run on sale in a cheap/seconds bookstore and devoured them. I even named one of my RPG characters Illyria after the queen. I still wonder what it'd be like to be pulled into a magical fantasy parallel dimension to this day :)
Kirs Hall
I don't care how old you are this is a great book. . . have read the series over and over again ever since I was 7, my comfort when I am ailing, and it never gets old. It is a quick read that takes you on a journey to a whole new world of magic and unicorns. Follow along with Shelia, the Unicorn Queen and her gang of wild women and save the world for the Evil Mardock. Shelia falls away into a portal her scientist friend Dr. Reit made. It wasn't supposed to take her away from her own world but wh ...more
Klaire
Aug 16, 2009 Klaire rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Recommended to Klaire by: my friends mom
Shelves: laura-read
This book is the best fantasy book I have ever read. It is about a girl(shelia) who falls into a portal that takes her to the magical world of Arren. Now Shelia is on a quest to find a way home. On that quest she gets side-tracked and joins a group of warriors who are trying to save the unicorn race. I read this book so many times. Swept Away is a quick easy read that is funny and has many adventures. I would recomend this book to all fantasy lovers.
Rebecca
Oh my... I read this series when was a kid, and I actually tried to find it for my daughters years ago and couldn't remember the name or the author. I just happened to trip upon it here! This was a magical ride and made me wish for unicorns and magic portals that could sweep me away. I wanted a unicorn to find me and bond with me! Oh, the daydreams... I'm going to buy the whole series again for me and my girls. =D
Heather
By far my favorite series as a young girl/tween. Never could fine the middle books, though. I'm tracking them down now as an adult to add to my collection! Just the right amount of romance and adventure in a fantasy setting for the pre-teen crowd in the late 80's and early 90's! Who wouldn't like to be swept away into a world with unicorns and women warriors, not to mention a cute guy?
Katy
I think they're out of print--but these were fun books full of childhood adventure/Unicorns/ and my favorite, romance. I have the first two and read the rest on a website I found that had them in their entirety. It's a fun series--6 books in all. I highly recomend for anyone fascinated with young adult fiction.
Kelly
These is a LOT of nostalgia talking here, but this book held up better than it probably had any right to. I'm surprised how many details I remember from when I was little. Sheila is still pretty kickass, too.

Now excuse me, but I have to go find copies of the other five books.
Katrina Sutton
I fell in loved with this book when I was 14 years old and searched a very long time trying to get a hold of a copy of this book without spending too much. I was thrilled when they re-released a few years ago. Definitely worth to be a part of my collection.
Krista
Another series. This one I first read when I was little but 20 years later, I still have them and read them sometimes. It's full of magic and fighting and young love. These are the books that made me decide that I wanted to be a writer.
Serena
I read books 1-4 of this series when I was a child but never could find book 6 I have now found book six and am starting from the beginning and they are just as good as I remember them can't wait to get to book 6
Tiffany
This is part of a series that I read when I was a kid. Yes, I am entering in my unicorn box sets that I read when I was young because they are still dear to me. I even read them again sometimes for nostalgic reasons.
Emily Jackson
This series is really, really old and for a relatively young audience. But it is still fantastic! I love the characters and the cool idea behind it. I love this series!
Natasha
I did enjoy this book when I was twelve but the fact this written in the 80s is so obvious with the use of tape recorders and all. Still the humour was cute
A.
Nov 04, 2007 A. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls, 8-18
This was one of my favorite series as a pre-teen/teen and I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a fun, fantasy, female-heroined book to escape with.
Dayna
As teens, my sister and I ate these books up. Very fun fantasy for girls of a certain age. The fact that it involves unicorns doesn't hurt either.
Justine Hedman
My favorite series from my childhood. I probably re-read it every 2-3 years.
Mary
I'm not ashamed to admit that, as a fifth grader, I adored these books!
Arwen
I absolutely loved these books as a girl.
Jerriann
I loved this series as a child
Amy
read it in grade school
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Any chance of liking it if you DIDN'T love it as a kid? 2 3 Apr 02, 2015 10:33AM
  • Sun Blind (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #2)
  • The Final Test (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #3)
  • Into the Dream (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #4)
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns Of Balinor, #7)
  • The Wizard of 4th Street (Wizard, #1)
  • A Wizard Named Nell (The Keepers, #1)
  • A Glory of Unicorns
  • The Emerald Princess Plays a Trick (The Jewel Kingdom, #3)
  • The Mermaid's Madness (Princess, #2)
  • The Patriot Witch (Traitor to the Crown, #1)
  • The Jedera Adventure (Vesper Holly #4)
  • The Last Slice of Rainbow and Other Stories
  • The Unicorn and the Lake
  • White Jenna (Great Alta, #2)
Josepha Sherman was an American author, folklorist, and anthologist. In 1990 she won the Compton Crook Award for the novel The Shining Falcon.
More about Josepha Sherman...

The Secret of the Unicorn Queen (6 books)
  • Sun Blind (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #2)
  • The Final Test (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #3)
  • Into the Dream (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #4)
  • The Dark Gods (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #5)
  • Moonspell (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #6)
In Celebration of Lammas Night Vulcan's Forge Vulcan's Heart Exodus (Star Trek: Vulcan's Soul, #1) The Dark Gods (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #5)