Start by marking “Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe /Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!” as Want to Read:
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe /Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe /Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  1,006 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Published October 4th 2005 by Ballantine Books (first published 1987)

Be the first to ask a question about Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe /Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!

Maria
Jan 07, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing
I love this film and have had the book sat on my bookshelf for too long. Decided to read it and although it is different from the film it's just as wonderful. I honestly feel as though I've been sat in a favourite old cardigan wrapped up warm and snuggly whilst reading this book, but the threads of the cardigan were all the wonderful characters in this book. I started reading this around the middle of December and it was due to my schedule and not the content of the book that it's taken me so lo ...more
This is by far the best book I have read in such a long time. I laughed and I cried and I completely fell in love with all the characters and I was so disappointed when it ended! everyone should read this at least once
Sonia
Jan 04, 2009 Sonia rated it really liked it
A good read. I read it at the beach (where I do most of my reading). I want to read this entire series of Fannie Flagg books. The characters are so warm, and you feel like you want to find that town and settle down there.
Allison13
Jan 03, 2014 Allison13 rated it really liked it
I read the book years after seeing the movie several times and was pleasntly surprised at the changes.
I'm a sucker for warm endearing stories so this one was right up my alley.
Caly
May 20, 2007 Caly rated it it was amazing
i dont know why, but ive read this book a billion times and it's awesome. it's cheesy and it's chick lit, and i still love it. woot!
Adele
Nov 23, 2007 Adele rated it it was amazing
oh my god never thought anything could top fried green tomatoes but this sure did...wonderful well written very entertaining.....
Lee
Oct 30, 2013 Lee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book, I've come to realize I'm a fan of quirky southern fiction. It was funny, sad and uplifting. Made me want to hop on a train and jump off at the Whistle Stop Café.
Kim
Nov 15, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing
read this book years ago and LOVED it, hence, i've read all of her other books over the years.
Ruta Leonard
Sep 13, 2012 Ruta Leonard rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed reading these 2 great books!! Thanks Pequot Library book sale!
Denyse
Sep 09, 2013 Denyse rated it really liked it
Light hearted and uplifting.
Shirley Hoffman
Jan 31, 2013 Shirley Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Just a wonderful book!
Holly
Mar 24, 2010 Holly rated it it was amazing
loved it
Jennifer Rolfe
Sep 12, 2011 Jennifer Rolfe rated it really liked it
Finally got to read the book. Have watched the movie many times and now can say I love them both.
Nancy
May 29, 2007 Nancy rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite books. It is delightful.
Helen
Mar 06, 2009 Helen added it
Great!
Jeffrey
Oct 13, 2010 Jeffrey rated it liked it
Good book. Good movie.
Jan
Mar 04, 2010 Jan rated it really liked it
Excellent book with a surprise "passing" twist.
Sep 04, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone loving good old-fashioned down-home Americana humor
Can't get enough of Flagg's homespun tales...apparently these are where it all started for her.
Dhillie
Aug 21, 2009 Dhillie rated it really liked it
Good
LaRhonda Williams
Sep 08, 2016 LaRhonda Williams rated it it was amazing
classic book; I've read it several times
Lidija
Oct 03, 2014 Lidija rated it really liked it
I ovo je jedna od knjiga koja je u mojem zamišljenom redu godinama čekala da je pročitam. Ne znam zašto je sad došlo vrijeme za to, ali znam da mi je jako drago da je tako. U ovoj sam priči uživala od početka do kraja - dobro, kraj mi je bio prežalostan i ostavio me je u pomalo sentimentalnom raspoloženju, ali to sam nekako i očekivala.
Kad pišu na ovakav način - stalno preskačući s jednog razdoblja života na drugi i u drugi i u svakom pričajući o drugim ljudima, ali koji su ipak, makar tankom n
Anna-Maija Tähkävuori
Aug 13, 2013 Anna-Maija Tähkävuori rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: viihdyttävänä
Recommended to Anna-Maija by: luin elokuvan jälkeen
Fanni Flaggin visuaalinen romaani Paistetut vihreät tomaatit/Tervetuloa maailmaan tyttövauva kuvaa perheyhteyden tärkeyttä. Tarinassa tunteet pääsevät irti, mutta silti käyttäydytään, välitetään ja jokainen saa näyttäytyä itsenään. Mukavaa luettavaa vaihteeksi.
Kokonaisuus on hallittu, lämmin, rakkastettava mutta soluu hieman yllätyksettömästi. Kuitenkin juoni kestää: kuvailevassa kerronnassa on erityistä imua. Lukijalle raotetaan välillä keittiön ovea, kannetaan silmien eteen kekseliäitä annoksi
Readstoomuch
Aug 12, 2016 Readstoomuch rated it it was amazing
I read many years ago . . . and I loved it just as much as I did the first time around. Some things just scream or an encore performance, don't they? Fannie creates the most fabulous characters and they can read their lines with great pizzazz!

I put up the wrong book cover . . . but, I cannot change it to only Fried Green Tomatoes. I haven't read Welcome to the World, Baby Girl! (I do have it on my bedside table in my to read pile!!
Darcy
Jul 31, 2015 Darcy rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
Enjoyed the book. It was nice to read something from several points of view. And the chapters were quick and easy, so you could put down and pick back up easily. We had a nice, but short discussion, at book club. I think it is fun to read these "classics"!
Dioscita
Feb 02, 2008 Dioscita rated it it was ok
Another of the rare cases when I've liked the film more than the book, Fried Green Tomatoes just made me say "enh." The second novel, Welcome to the World, Baby Girl! was even less likable, though Flagg sure was during her '70s game show days.
Sowmya CJ
May 18, 2015 Sowmya CJ rated it really liked it
Now why can't I just board a train and get off at the Whistle Stop Cafe during its hay day in 1933 and tuck into some fried green tomatoes?
Jul 13, 2012 Sarah rated it did not like it
Bridget Morse
Feb 10, 2013 Bridget Morse rated it it was amazing
Love this book, so many themes, families, mysteries, too much story for a movie- which could not do it justice. And recipes!
Eleanor Schmidt
Feb 22, 2016 Eleanor Schmidt rated it really liked it
I love this book. it reminds me of my grandmother.
Val
Aug 12, 2016 Val rated it really liked it
Fun read! Makes you smile!
  • The Spellman Series Box Set 1 - 4 (The Spellmans, #1-4)
  • Henri Matisse: The Cut-Outs
  • Hurry Up and Wait
  • The Adventures Of Robin Hood
  • Pretend Soup and Other Real Recipes: A Cookbook for Preschoolers and Up
  • In The Presence of Enemies
  • The Summer of Black Widows
  • Bloody Brat, Vol.1 (Bloody Brat, #1)
  • Name Dropping
  • A Frog in the Bog
  • Seen It All and Done the Rest
  • Wuthering Heights & Jane Eyre
  • Paljain jaloin
  • Jane Goes Batty (Jane Fairfax, #2)
  • Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay Summary & Study Guide
  • Alastalon salissa
  • An Atlas of the Difficult World
  • A Field Guide to Eastern Trees: Eastern United States and Canada, Including the Midwest (Peterson Field Guides)
Fannie Flagg began writing and producing television specials at age nineteen and went on to distinguish herself as an actress and writer in television, films, and the theater.

She is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (which was produced by Universal Pictures as Fried Green Tomatoes), Welcome to the World, Baby G
More about Fannie Flagg...