Start by marking “I Was Born This Way: A Gay Preacher's Journey through Gospel Music, Disco Stardom, and a Ministry in Christ” as Want to Read:

In I Was Born This Way, Carl Bean, former Motown recording artist, noted AIDS activist, and founder of the Unity Fellowship of Christ Church in Los Angeles, shares his extraordinary personal journey from Baltimore foster homes to the stage of the Apollo Theater and beyond.

CARL BEAN has been crossing boundaries all his life and helping others do the same. He’s never been st
Published June 1st 2010 by Simon Schuster (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Was Born This Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Was Born This Way

Lani
Feb 14, 2011 Lani rated it liked it
I will admit that I picked up this book because Lady Gaga's song "Born This Way" was coming out and the title was similar, and once I read that it was about a black, gay, disco-singing preacher, I knew I had to read it. The story of Carl Bean is quite amazing, and I am still surprised at everything he went through, both good and bad. The story is not a timeline of his life, but highlights those events that shaped him the most and pushed him towards becoming a preacher. It's a fairly quick read b ...more
Aiesha
Dec 05, 2010 Aiesha rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book for several reasons, most notably, I am familiar with Carl Bean and his work with the Unity Fellowship Movement. With that said, this is more than a memoir, it's as if we're reading a secret history that links Black religion and gospel music, civil rights and the growth of overt homophobia in Black communities across the country. I see nothing tragic in Bean's story. Yes, tragedies occurred in his life, but his story adds to the beautiful complexity that is being Black in t ...more
Lucy
Aug 11, 2016 Lucy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie McGarrity
Mar 15, 2011 Stephanie McGarrity rated it liked it
Shelves: memior, spirituality
Carl Bean's story is tragic, horrible, uplifting, inspirational, heartbreaking, and humorous all at the same time. I enjoyed the book, but I was left wanting to hear more details about his ministry. Most of the book covers his childhood and then his motown singing years --- while I understand all of these things have formed him into the person that he know is, I still felt like the reader was left hanging a bit.
Deni Aria
Quite interesting journey of Carl, his love has been throughly by God who He believe that there is always the soul of God on every human being that lead to the His's path with our very own way!
Sandie
Feb 17, 2016 Sandie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
subtitle: A gay preacher's journey through gospel music, disco stardom and a ministry in Christ.

A story worth reading; he's had his share of high's and low's.
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2011
Aran
Aran rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Denicemarcell
somehow i missed the hit disco song I WAS BORN THIS WAY. gotta track it down.
Kristin Traylor
Kristin Traylor rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2011
Haley
Haley rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Michael Miller
Michael Miller rated it liked it
May 24, 2013
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Mark Bowman
Mark Bowman rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2017
Naomi
Naomi rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2011
Shelley Phillips
Shelley Phillips rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Angel
Angel rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
Tim Dillinger-Curenton
Tim Dillinger-Curenton rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2015
Whit
Whit rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2017
William Noakes
William Noakes rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Judy Alston
Judy Alston rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Shelby
Shelby rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2010
Larry-bob Roberts
Larry-bob Roberts marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2010
Tristy
Tristy marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2010
Rem
Rem marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2010
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2011
Dawn Allbee
Dawn Allbee marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2012
Sonnet
Sonnet marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2012
Jj Sleighride
Jj Sleighride marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Oneoddfrog
Oneoddfrog marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
David Gunning
David Gunning marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Jeffery
Jeffery marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
JasLyn
JasLyn marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Jacque
Jacque marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Andrew Louis
Andrew Louis marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Marrie McPhaul
Marrie McPhaul marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2017
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2011