Start by marking “I Was Born This Way: A Gay Preacher's Journey through Gospel Music, Disco Stardom, and a Ministry in Christ” as Want to Read:

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In I Was Born This Way, Carl Bean, former Motown recording artist, noted AIDS activist, and founder of the Unity Fellowship of Christ Church in Los Angeles, shares his extraordinary personal journey from Baltimore foster homes to the stage of the Apollo Theater and beyond.

CARL BEAN has been crossing boundaries all his life and helping others do the same. He’s nev
Published June 1st 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Was Born This Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Was Born This Way

Lani
I will admit that I picked up this book because Lady Gaga's song "Born This Way" was coming out and the title was similar, and once I read that it was about a black, gay, disco-singing preacher, I knew I had to read it. The story of Carl Bean is quite amazing, and I am still surprised at everything he went through, both good and bad. The story is not a timeline of his life, but highlights those events that shaped him the most and pushed him towards becoming a preacher. It's a fairly quick read b ...more
Aiesha
I picked up this book for several reasons, most notably, I am familiar with Carl Bean and his work with the Unity Fellowship Movement. With that said, this is more than a memoir, it's as if we're reading a secret history that links Black religion and gospel music, civil rights and the growth of overt homophobia in Black communities across the country. I see nothing tragic in Bean's story. Yes, tragedies occurred in his life, but his story adds to the beautiful complexity that is being Black in t ...more
Stephanie Levan
Carl Bean's story is tragic, horrible, uplifting, inspirational, heartbreaking, and humorous all at the same time. I enjoyed the book, but I was left wanting to hear more details about his ministry. Most of the book covers his childhood and then his motown singing years --- while I understand all of these things have formed him into the person that he know is, I still felt like the reader was left hanging a bit.
Deni Aria
Quite interesting journey of Carl, his love has been throughly by God who He believe that there is always the soul of God on every human being that lead to the His's path with our very own way!
Denicemarcell
somehow i missed the hit disco song I WAS BORN THIS WAY. gotta track it down.
Oneoddfrog
Oneoddfrog is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Alexandria Lewis
Alexandria Lewis marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Anastasia Silveri
Anastasia Silveri marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Jj Sleighride
Jj Sleighride marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Sonnet
Sonnet marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2012
Dawn Allbee
Dawn Allbee marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2012
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2011
Craig Werner
Craig Werner marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2011
Doreen
Doreen marked it as to-read
May 16, 2011
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2011
Rem
Rem marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2010
Tristy
Tristy marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2010
Larry-bob Roberts
Larry-bob Roberts marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2010