Start by marking “In My Dreams I Dance” as Want to Read:
In My Dreams I Dance

In My Dreams I Dance

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  6 reviews
They said it couldn't be done. But Anne Wafula achieved many remarkable things in her life. This is her incredible story.

Struck down with polio at the age of two and a half, Anne overcame the prejudice rife in her native village in Kenya, where neighbours believed she was cursed and called her a snake because of her disability, which left her paralysed below the waist.

Losi...more
Published September 15th 2010 by HarperTrue

To ask other readers questions about In My Dreams I Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In My Dreams I Dance

Singing Thelma
This a fantastic true life story about a woman from Kenya who was struck down with polio as a small child but despite this went on to achieve great things with her life. If you want to be inspired then read this book.
chucklesthescot
This is the fascinating and inspiring story of Anne Wafula, a Kenyan girl who was struck down with polio as a child. Her parents defied the wishes of their village when they refused to let the 'cursed' child die and they were shunned and forced to leave. Instead they ensured that Anne received the best education possible, becoming the first family member to go to University, supporting her love for an English man and her desire to get pregnant despite the health risks. Anne faces prejudice and d...more
Ria
The inspirational true story of the author and how she overcame hardship and prejudice in her own country.
Anne was born in Kenya and her life looked promising, born into a loving family and then disaster struck and she was suddenly struck down with Polio.
The inhabitants of her village shunned her as evil due to superstition and prejudice.
The story follows Anne from her roots in her little village she grew up, to a special disabled school and even onto university.
The hardships Anne endures are i...more
KJ
Inspiring, you don't realise what you have and what you take for granted as an ablebodied person living in the developed world. I think Anne is truly amazing for what she has accomplished and for never giving up.
Lynda Atkinson
A really good read.
Albertine
a quick, easy read about a kenyan woman who has achieved fairly remarkable things. the first two thirds was much more engaging than the ending.
Zoelt
Zoelt marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Gina
Gina is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2014
Prince
Prince marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Hannah Louise Richardson
Hannah Louise Richardson marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Hamza Mizo
Hamza Mizo marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Sara Njambi
Sara Njambi marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Pauline Tibbertsma
Pauline Tibbertsma marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Eryn Kelly
Eryn Kelly is currently reading it
Dec 02, 2013
Cristina Contreras
Cristina Contreras marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Milkah Shiro
Milkah Shiro marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013