Start by marking “In My Dreams I Dance” as Want to Read:
In My Dreams I Dance

In My Dreams I Dance

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  41 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
They said it couldn't be done. But Anne Wafula achieved many remarkable things in her life. This is her incredible story.

Struck down with polio at the age of two and a half, Anne overcame the prejudice rife in her native village in Kenya, where neighbours believed she was cursed and called her a snake because of her disability, which left her paralysed below the waist.

Losi
Published September 15th 2010 by HarperTrue

To ask other readers questions about In My Dreams I Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In My Dreams I Dance

Singing Thelma
Sep 25, 2010 Singing Thelma rated it it was amazing
This a fantastic true life story about a woman from Kenya who was struck down with polio as a small child but despite this went on to achieve great things with her life. If you want to be inspired then read this book.
chucklesthescot
This is the fascinating and inspiring story of Anne Wafula, a Kenyan girl who was struck down with polio as a child. Her parents defied the wishes of their village when they refused to let the 'cursed' child die and they were shunned and forced to leave. Instead they ensured that Anne received the best education possible, becoming the first family member to go to University, supporting her love for an English man and her desire to get pregnant despite the health risks. Anne faces prejudice and d ...more
Ria
Mar 02, 2014 Ria rated it it was amazing
The inspirational true story of the author and how she overcame hardship and prejudice in her own country.
Anne was born in Kenya and her life looked promising, born into a loving family and then disaster struck and she was suddenly struck down with Polio.
The inhabitants of her village shunned her as evil due to superstition and prejudice.
The story follows Anne from her roots in her little village she grew up, to a special disabled school and even onto university.
The hardships Anne endures are i
KJ
Jul 03, 2013 KJ rated it it was amazing
Inspiring, you don't realise what you have and what you take for granted as an ablebodied person living in the developed world. I think Anne is truly amazing for what she has accomplished and for never giving up.
Lynda Atkinson
Dec 27, 2011 Lynda Atkinson rated it it was amazing
A really good read.
Jacky
Sep 04, 2015 Jacky rated it liked it
It was a quick, easy and good read. Although only having spent fraction of time in a wheelchair/ walking on crutches, I can't imagine how it feels to not being able to move both your legs at all. The writer went through a lot and stayed positive trying to find the good in all that crossed her path. I saw her race from the Athens Paralympics and also the girl she mentioned with no hands that performed the dressage. I found picture of her I posted during the Paralympics as I had nothing but respec ...more
Abbie
Jul 16, 2015 Abbie rated it really liked it
Inspirational true story. From the start I was hooked in and wanted to know more. An easy and uplifting read. Highly recommend.
Karen
Dec 14, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous read
Albertine
Apr 18, 2013 Albertine rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, kenya, africa
a quick, easy read about a kenyan woman who has achieved fairly remarkable things. the first two thirds was much more engaging than the ending.
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Ee Idris
Ee Idris rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Fayt
Fayt marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Andrew Goulding
Andrew Goulding rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Phoenix
Phoenix rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Niv
Niv marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Tamara
Tamara rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Nijiko
Nijiko rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2015
Florence
Florence marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Kuljeet Brar
Kuljeet Brar marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Lourdes Estrada
Lourdes Estrada marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Inasirimavo
Inasirimavo marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Georgina
Georgina is currently reading it
Mar 01, 2015
BGK
BGK added it
Jan 16, 2015
Jenna
Jenna rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2014