Start by marking “Implant” as Want to Read:
Implant

Implant

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,181 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews

Young doctor Gina Panzella deeply respects her boss, plastic surgeon Dr. Duncan Lathram. Charming and brilliant, Duncan has invented an implant that allows incisions to heal without scarring. Duncan's artistry in the operation room is the salvation of Washington's biggest power players whenever they need touch-ups for C-Span.

But there are a few things about Duncan that Gin

Nook, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2010 by F. Paul Wilson (first published April 6th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Implant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Implant

Jon Recluse
Feb 03, 2014 Jon Recluse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The medical thriller meets DEATHWISH in this fast paced offering from F. Paul Wilson, as a plastic surgeon wages a personal vendetta against politicians determined to change healthcare in this country, potentially for the worst. But are his motives really that crystal clear?

Originally published in 1995, this prescient novel foresaw the coming of government interference in healthcare, and remains timely to this day.

A must-read for anyone who enjoys a solid, intelligent thriller by one of the best
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
In many ways the story worked well. The beginning makes sure the reader knows who and why, but because of telling through the antagonist’s eyes from the start, there’s not much mystery. The reader is left wondering a few things, such as the full back story, but not much else. Otherwise, though, it was fun to read to see what Gina would discover, when she’d put it together, what she’d do about it, and how Lathram would react when he found out. The story isn’t unpredictable by any means, but it’s ...more
The references to "the car phone" and "the payphone" were so odd. I kept thinking, "When was this written??" After I finished it I looked and it was 1995. Didn't we have cell phones by then?! Maybe not but it is hard to believe there was a time when emergencies just had to wait until someone came by or you had to walk to a phone (how sad HAHA).

The story itself seemed forced. I don't like to be given "clues" as to how the story is going to progress. I'm an adult, you can just let it evolve natura
John
Jun 04, 2016 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical-thriller
It's been a long time since I last read a straight-forward medical thriller in the vein of Robin Cook... IMPLANT is a solid, though unremarkable, novel--entertaining enough, but overly long and predictable. As a fan of F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series, I was expecting more.
That being said, two aspects of this novel do manage to stand out. First, Wilson does a first-rate job with all the medical stuff, putting his real-life experience as a General Practitioner to good literary use. Second,
Mary
Aug 14, 2013 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. F. Paul Wilson may know his way around a hospital and how to use a thesaurus but his ideas about smart young women are so off it is ridiculous. Gina Panzella...the heroine in this story idolizes Dr. Duncan Lathram. Granted, he had performed surgery on her when she was a young girl, then she worked part-time in his office when she was a pudgy and of course, pimply, teenager but apparently that's not enough adoration for Dr. F's female character. Now as an adult and a busy doctor in her own ri ...more
Mike  Owens
As a medical thriller, Implant, for this reader comes up a bit short. Set in Washington, DC, in the midst of congressional hearings on upcoming guidelines for medical practitioners, a young, beautiful (of course) physician decides she should leave her medical work for a position on the congressional committee. Her aim is vaguely "to make a difference," but specifics on how she hopes to accomplish this are few. Her current boss, a cosmetic surgeon, formerly vascular surgeon of note, is out to mak ...more
Glenn
Jan 06, 2011 Glenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A young doctor takes a new career turn - putting her in Washington DC with hopes of getting on medical oversight committee, etc. Her idol, and reason for practicing medicine, is beginning to act strange after local politicians seem to be dropping like flies. Dr. Panzella tries to uncover what is really going on and if it's too late.
Implant is a mediocre Medical thriller that doesn't really thrill at all. The story is quick and to the point, but there's much that's left unsaid (it's in the past..
Jeff Miller
May 12, 2014 Jeff Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read anything from this author up to a year ago. Since then I have read three of his book and each time was quite impressed. This one as a medical thriller was very taut throughout and it was hard to imagine how he was going to keep up the pace. Simple answer is that he did pull it off.
Ramu Atmakuri
Jan 02, 2017 Ramu Atmakuri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Y)
Kristin
Jun 25, 2015 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I was worried this was going to be some freaky sci-fi book about implants turning people into crazed robots or something weird like that. Instead, the title object is used by a plastic surgeon to minimize scar tissue by being installed during surgery and gradually releasing a healing cocktail that fights off the body's natural processes of closing a wound.
Gina is a young doctor who owes her life to Duncan, the surgeon installing the implants, but at that time, he was a vascular surgeon
Ice
May 12, 2010 Ice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Young doctor Gina Panzella has known her boss, plastic surgeon Dr. Duncan Lathram, almost her entire life, and respects him deeply. Charming and brilliant, Duncan has invented a dissolving implant that allows incisions to heal without scarring. Duncan's artistry in the operation room is the salvationof Washington's biggest power players whenever they need touch-ups for C-Span.

But there are a few things about Duncan that Gina can't quite figure out. Why did he trade vascular surgery for the more
Anne Fontaine
Nov 13, 2008 Anne Fontaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
F. Paul Wilson is a physician, better known, perhaps, for his Repairman Jack series about a resourceful Chuck Norris-y guy who solves mysteries with a tiny bit of supernatural help. The medical thriller 'Implant' predates that series, concentrating on issues such as uses for new technology and the business and politics of medicine. Those issues dovetail into a seemingly foolproof way for a wronged plastic surgeon, Dr. Duncan Lathram, to exact revenge on his perceived enemies until his protege, D ...more
Daniel
Jan 06, 2017 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love F. Paul Wilson's books, and when I say this I don't mean anything otherwise, but Implant wasn't as good as many of his other books. It is a serious medical suspense thriller and it is well written and solid. The plot is good and involves a creation that aids in healing and longevity. There is much more here than I will cover and to many other people, this might be ab astounding book. I felt it wasn't what I am used to from the writer.
Nobody can take away how good the writing is here, of
Carolyn
I enjoyed the plot, the characters and the character development in this book. I enjoy reading books that are smart and cause me to think. This book would have received four stars but the use of so many obscure adjectives/names just became annoying. I understand that the character charged with being the sesquipedalian in this book was brilliant, but in my opinion his constant usage became grandiloquent and unnecessary to an otherwise enjoyable book.
Diane Wachter
Implant, F. Paul Wilson, RDC-M V 3 1996 @ 1995, 4/13. A story about a young doctor who aspires to be on the Senate Committee on Medical Ethics. She is also the Chief Resident at Tulane Univ. Hospital and she moonlights with a bitter but brilliant plastic surgeon who has developed a secret procedure, an implant the encourages miraculous healing powers. Very good.
Christine
Sep 17, 2009 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good medical thriller. Just enough medical info to make things sound realistic and keep you interested, but not so much that your head starts to explode. The thrills were fast-paced, the characters were well developed and you cared about them. A good quick weekend or plane read!
Michelle Bacon
May 19, 2014 Michelle Bacon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great action-packed thriller. keeps you on the edge of your seat. A plastic surgeon for politicians in DC has been implanting his patients with a toxin that causes psychotic episodes and Gina, his assistant, knows it. She will risk everything to stop him before he gets to the President.
Christine
Aug 02, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Medical thriller that involves deception and the idea of misusing medical advancements. Pretty good book.
Melissa
Feb 05, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We read this for book club (my choice) and I enjoyed it emmensely. This is a great medical thriller with a twist of politics that keeps you flipping pages up into the wee hours of the morning.
Jennifer Morefield
This was an interesting thriller that I enjoyed. It involved politics and medicine. What's not to like?
Devi
Jan 23, 2012 Devi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read with enough twists to keep it interesting. Good traveling read as it doesn't take too much concentration.
Marie
Dec 19, 2012 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book! It was a real page turner, interesting, quirky and engaging. I love the way the bad guy gets a real stake in the story too, their not just the 'nutter' it was great!
April
Jan 05, 2014 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok. It took me a while to get into it. Typical medical thriller. The ending was a little better than the beginning.
John
Jun 26, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow start .... fast finish.
Robert
Mar 26, 2011 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Ugh. Can a Dr. learn to be a writer better than a writer can learn to write about medicine? Not in this case.
Ellen Runge
Robin Cook is SO much better at writing medical thrillers.
George Harris
A decent enough medical thriller. Wilson's forte is more horror.
Jon Mamaril
F Paul Wilson being a physician comes handy in this book
Joe O'Connor
Very Good; author also wrote The Select; doctor implants drug time bombs in senators debating medical ethics
Mainrun
Feb 22, 2010 Mainrun rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, fiction
I wonder if the person who wrote this one is the not the same person who wrote Black Wind.
  • The Rip-Off
  • Fountain Society
  • The Union Club Mysteries
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Crime Wave: Reportage and Fiction from the Underside of L.A.
  • Blood Lies
  • Critical Condition (Dr. Richard Steele, #2)
  • The Astronaut's Wife
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...