Start by marking “The Gargoyle Prophecies, Part I, The Savior Rises” as Want to Read:
The Gargoyle Prophecies, Part I, The Savior Rises
Open Preview read ebook* *Different edition

The Gargoyle Prophecies, Part I, The Savior Rises (The Gargoyle Prophecies #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  59 reviews
With a tattered Raggedy Ann doll as her only companion, Stefani has spent her entire life immersed in self isolation. As a 10-year-old child she was the lone witness to her mother's murder. She vowed to find the man who robbed her of all she held dear in the world and ensure he suffers as she has before he takes his final breath.

Her childhood is consumed with training in t
Published October 1st 2010 by JournalStone

To ask other readers questions about The Gargoyle Prophecies, Part I, The Savior Rises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gargoyle Prophecies, Part I, The Savior Rises

Jasmine
Title: humility and other failures.

forward: I am not really sure how to review this book. I didn't really like the beginning, but I have to say I found the end to be one of the most genius things I have read on the level of harkaway and Nicholls, I know I complained bitterly about both of them, fucking deal I'm a complicated girl. so this review will be done in parts one or more of which may be labeled for spoilers, I haven't decided yet.

Prologue: this has no relevance to the book really feel
Nissie
This book was wild and non-stop gargoyle action from start to finish. I don't even know how to describe it. I'll just say that it's not for the really squeamish or kids. I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading more. Well done,Mr.Payne.
Dan Porter
If this book were a movie, it would be something along the lines of Groundhog Day meets Resident Evil - with gargoyles instead of zombies. The protagonist, Stefani, spends her childhood plotting and preparing to take revenge on her mother's murderer. As her 21st birthday nears, she discovers that what she knows about her life is pitifully little and mostly wrong. Each day brings more knowledge and less understanding, more need of a strong ally and less reason to trust anyone, more violence and l ...more
Mitchel Broussard
Stefani saw her mother murdered when she was ten, and now at 21 things are getting weird. She's throwing up black vomit and seeing people turn into flying gargoyles. The action and fight scenes are fun and surprisingly brutal (you have to kill a gargoyle by stabbing it in the heart and cutting of its head) and I was really liking the beginning of the book.

When Stefani started waking up back in her bed every morning after having crazy globe-trotting adventures, and began to question reality - tha
Mindy/fangedmom
I loved this book. I honestly did. I got it today and started reading it by about 4:30 pm. I stopped reading long enough to feed my family and put my kids to bed. I finished the book about 10:30pm.

It was fast paced and exciting. There is no good place to stop because you keep telling yourself that in the next few pages, you will find out more. Those few pages turn into chapters. Pretty soon, the night is late and the book is done.

This story was incredible and I found myself staring with my mout
Tom
This book is an action-packed psychological thriller with some touches of fantasy content. It is about a young woman with a tragic past that a lot of bad things happened to and continues to happen to. At least on the surface, as the book goes on the author tries to make you doubt the story told from the beginning. At least three separate stories are told that arrive at the end of the book from different directions. Which one that is true is still not shown at the end of the book.

What I disliked
Marilyn Belsham
The Gargoyle Prophecies, Part 1, The Savior Rises, has an interesting story - or more specifically, it has an interesting idea that hasn't been fully fleshed out into a story. As I read the book, I felt as though I was reading the first draft of a novel, one with many flaws and rough spots. Had this been a rough draft, I would have announced the book to be a success. Unfortunately, the book is masquerading as a finished product and therefore, I can't be as kind.

I read the book over two nights,
Giovanni Gelati
I have been reading much more sci-fi and paranormal then I usually do, I have no idea why. That being said, I thought I would just start to get into a groove and sit back and enjoy the reading. I hit a couple winners for this week. Today I am featuring Christopher Payne and his debut The Gargoyle Prophecies. Debuts are a mixed grab bag; this one sits near the top. The plotline is different from anything I have read or seen about gargoyles. He has set himself apart with this.
Here is the synopsis
Nichole
This is nothing like anything I've read before and I extremely enjoy it! I won a copy of the e-book and unsure of what to expect, as soon as I started I had a hard time stopping. Easily read the book in two sittings. It is a very unique story of a girl named Stefani, who has survived a tragic life only to be thrown into something completely unreal, taking you on an exciting, action packed adventure. I am definitely interested in seeing what lies ahead for Stefani in the next chapter of her life. ...more
Christopher Payne
Sep 09, 2010 Christopher Payne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
With a tattered Raggedy Ann doll as her only companion, Stefani has spent her entire life immersed in self isolation. As a 10-year-old child she was the lone witness to her mother’s murder. She has vowed to find the man who robbed her of all she held dear in the world, and ensure he suffers as she has, before he takes his final breath.

Her childhood is consumed with training in hopes of one day finding the scarred-face killer. But her world up-ends as her 21st birthday looms, when she discovers s
Cassie McCown
Whitney Howell
I’m a mom of two kids under age 4, so it takes a lot these days for anything other than their antics to hold my attention for longer than a few minutes. This book was one I virtually couldn’t put down. The plot is hard-charging, going a mile a minute, and the twists keep you guessing from one page to the next about what is coming. You find yourself being tossed back and forth between two possible realities, and you can’t help but wonder which one is real for the main character Stefani. Is she re ...more
grumpybybirth
Without a doubt one of my favorite books I have read this year! I read the whole thing within 2 hrs. I just couldn’t stop!!

Amazing storytelling with twists and turns that left me reeling. What was truth, what was a lie? Everything told and retold until I couldn’t tell what reality was. The story is superbly told and wrapped and twisted around until you are not sure which way is up and what is good or bad. LOVED every minute of reading this story!!!

The characters are rich and full and the descrip
Gecky Boz
I won this book as an Ebook from a goodreads contest.

This book is a bit of a head scratcher at times and pretty confusing yet it still draws you right in.

The only concrete fact is that the main character's name is Stefani Hernandez and that she owns a Raggedy Ann doll. She is what you would call an unreliable narrator. The plot goes in many different directions, just when you think you know what's going on a kind of Groundhog's Day movie type scenario starts to happen. Soon even Stefani is not
Colleen Wanglund
Stefani saw her mother brutally murdered when she was only ten years old. After being sent to live with a foster family, they were killed in a drive-by shooting that has never been solved. Stefani has spent her life training to someday kill the man responsible for destroying her life. Now just a week shy of her twenty-first birthday Dennis has fallen into her life as a protector. After hearing his story, Stefani concludes he’s crazy and leaves him behind. Stefani soon learns, however that the s ...more
Marvin
I have read all three of Christopher C. Payne's novels. They range from fair to excellent and each one is totally different from the others. Part I of The Gargoyle Prophecies fit in the middle with a rating of good to very good. It is a fantasy tale but of a very unusual quality. In fact, I was not always sure if this was a fantasy novel. At first, mainly due to the cover art, I thought it might be YA but the extensive gore and violence placed that out of my mind quickly. Without giving any spoi ...more
Riley Steel
I havent read a book which featured gargolyes before so its always refeashing to read something new.
I'm a real softy at heart and the first thing i loved is that this book is dedicated to his daughters, its nothing to do with the story but it made me like the author before i'd even started reading.

I'd have to say the book itself is probably more of a mans book, it has plenty action and plenty gore but for me lacking in a little romance. This will appeal to lots of people im sure and it certain
Amy
I'm trying to decide exactly how to review this book. It was written extremely well. The story was not dull, and it was not difficult to read. It is a book that young adults and adults can read for an interesting, complex story and not struggle through tedious wording.

The book left me scratching my head in several places. I thought I had it figured out, then suddenly, I didn't. This happened more times than I care to admit. I usually do not get thrown off the scent so many times, especially in
Birgit
There's more to life (and books, for that matter) than vampires. Granted, the premise of the book might (with an awful lot of good will) have worked with the creatures of the night as well, but it wouldn't have been the same. Let's just say that I appreciate the introduction to a species unbeknown to me, not only because I am sick of the ever present vampires in fantasy books, but because they were introduced to me in such a fresh and well written manner.
Christopher Payne takes the reader on a f
Jade Villafane
WHAT!!!
The book starts off with Stefani and her Raggedy Ann doll watching as her mother, Jade(I love it lol.) is murdered. Stefani is afraid to get close to anyone after the death of her family, so spends the next ten years alone and waiting for her chance of revenge against the man that ruined her life. (You know that old song and dance) I don't want to give anything away because I really like the way it unfolds even if I am a little confused. The story is very very original. I think I might h
Tammy Lashelle
Nov 03, 2010 Tammy Lashelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi and action/adventure readers
I just finished reading this book, I don't want to spoil it too much, but I do want to say I liked Stefani's decision (at the end), as well as the twists that let to her decision. I definitely questioned what was real and what wasn't and I really enjoyed the fantasy of the gargoyles (and roguls). It was packed with action and it was fast paced, which I enjoyed. I also liked the visual descriptions and her travels (always full of surprise). On a side note, I have never walked into a bar and then ...more
Jingai
This was an excellent book, and an enjoyable read. Don't let the rather lengthy
title fool you, the actual prose is very well crafted, and flows easily. The only
real drawback was that it was a rather short book. It is the first in a series of
books, and it is a positive thing when the only real negative aspect is that
the story ends.

It is easy to relate to the protagonist, the villains are nice and despicable,
the way they should be, and there are enough subtle twists to keep you engaged
without h
Shawn Weaver
Christopher Payne’s first novel, The Gargoyle Prophecies, is a sure fire winner, a five star blast that assuredly marks this new author as a person to watch for. Christopher not only makes his characters come to life, he put the reader right into the mix. I could not put this novel down and am hoping that the next installment comes out soon.
From page one the reader is slammed into the mixed up world of Stefani Hernandez. You follow this young lady as the world that she thinks she has known is fl
Denise
The story told in this book is good and original. I like the idea of gargoyles living among us. It was a nice change from Vampires, witches, werewolves, faery, and immortals. The book isn't very thick, but the author manages to get a lot of informatio across to you. The writing is clean and simple not complex. I can't wait for the next book. The characters are not really that developed yet. You know just enough about them to get by. I can't wait to see where the author will go with the story. I ...more
Sandy
This book was amazing. I loved how realistic Stefani was in the beginning. I could believe the confusion and state of mind she was in. It was pretty cool. It got a little confusing the way it would switch back to what was going on in the beginning, so you really had to pay attention to understand what was going on. The major twist in the last part of the book, made me stop in my tracks. I was like "what just happened?" It's been awhile since would recommend it to anyone who wants to read a book ...more
JoAnne
Fantastic story, a must read. Received this book from the author and once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. The fast paced adventure with several surprises along the way is excellently written as Mr Payne style of writing keeps you engrossed and actively involved. As I finished the book, I so wanted to have the next book in hand so I could continue with Stephani's adventure and so wanting to find out if Greg gets what he deserves. This book goes on my highly recommmended list.
Alexandra
Move over vampires,goblins,and lycans there's a new creature in town and it's known as the gargoyle. This book was awesome! I loved it so much I finished it in a day! It starts of at such a fast pace, and doesn't stop. I loved how every page was filled with action and adventure. You totally don't know what way to turn, or what is going to happen next. I can tell you now you will not regret reading this. From the minute you turn that last page you will be screaming for more.
Donna
What a great story!! “The Gargoyle Prophecies - The Savior Rises” captured my attention from start to finish. Christopher C. Payne’s story of Stefani and her bid to reach her 21st birthday is well written, fast paced and full of conflict and chaos.
I couldn’t put it down!!! I only have one question - when does the sequel come out?

Received for free to review. I am a member of Goodreads, Librarything, BookDivas and the Penguin book club.
Michael
First Reads Win

10 year old Stefani was the lone witness to her mother's murder. Eleven years later, the murderer comes back into her life and things get crazy.

This book takes off around page fifty and becomes very hard to put down. The usage of Gargoyles rather than the heavily used vampires, werewolves or zombies was an interesting change. I'm very much looking forward for Part II.
Carol
I won this book as a part of the Goodreads giveaways and was pleasantly surprised. It was refreshingly different than other books of this genre. It was fun to read about gargoyles instead of vampires again. This book keeps you guessing until the end with some amazing plot twists. I can't wait to see what this author will do next.
  • Any Witch Way
  • Imperial Hostage (Destruction, #1)
  • The Awakening (Chrysalis #1)
  • Abducted: How People Come to Believe They Were Kidnapped by Aliens
  • Again
  • Tree of Life (Tree of Life, #1)
  • Eclipsed By Shadow (The Legend of the Great Horse, #1)
  • Ghosts of Coronado Bay (Maya Blair Mysteries, #1)
  • The Hunted of 2060 (Shifter Evolutions #5)
  • The Demon of Renaissance Drive
  • Rendezvous Rock
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Zombies: A Completely Scientific Guide to the Lives of the Undead
  • Craving
  • Dante's Journey
  • Ancient Enemies
  • Weird Pennsylvania
  • Shaman's Blood
  • Reining In (The Network, #1)
3197657
Christopher C. Payne was born in January 1967 and grew up in DeSoto, IL. He received his bachelor’s degree in finance from Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, graduating in 1990. Currently, he lives in San Francisco, CA. In his spare time, he enjoys biking and snowboarding with his two daughters and an amazing wife.

Chris dabbled with writing in his spare time before deciding he would be be
More about Christopher C. Payne...
Duncan's Diary: Birth of a Serial Killer JournalStone's 2010 Warped Words, For Twisted Minds Learning to Cry