Trundle's Quest (The Six Crowns, #1)

Trundle's Quest (The Six Crowns #1)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  32 reviews

Trundle doesn't think he's an adventurer. He's a lamplighter. He likes everything safe and cozy, and that's the way things are in his peaceful part of the Sundered Lands.

Until Esmeralda barrels through his door.

Esmeralda, a princess with a knack for magic and for finding trouble, is convinced that Trundle is the only one who can help her find the six crowns. Lost and scatt

Hardcover
Published 2011 by Greenwillow (first published June 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Trundle's Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trundle's Quest

Heidi
It's nice to find a fantasy that isn't over four hundred pages. Many students love the big thick ones, but not all of them can read those kind of books. This is an appropriate book for reluctant readers who need constant action to keep them reading. The action starts in chapter one with Trundle, a humble and content lamplighter, is abruptly drawn out of his peaceful life into a world of pirates, theft, and slavery. The action doesn't stop, leaving the reader waiting for the sequels (luckily the...more
Briana
Excerpt from review below. You can read my full, in-depth review here: http://thebookpixie.blogspot.com/2011...

"Trundle's Quest is an exciting, swashbuckling page turner that forms a very promising start to what I believe is going to be an excellent MG series.............................................................

Trundle's Quest is action-packed and full of adventure. I can honestly say I haven't read anything quite like it and the combination of piracy and what we consider wild creatures w...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
An exiting adventure set in magical land where ships fly and two unlikely heroes set out to fulfill an ancient prophecy and find the six crowns. Can Trundle and Esmeralda fend off the evil pirates and overcome unforeseen obstacles in time to save their world?

Young readers will enjoy jumping aboard the sky boats with these two courageous hedgehogs as they set out on an unforgettable journey full of danger, and action. Trundle's Quest is set in a world unlike any I've read about before. It's a un...more
Gail
If you loved the Redwall series then you will enjoy this book. It is very similar, but not as lengthy. The writing is good,less detail than the Redwall books,and would suit a younger child like a 4th grader who might enjoy a great fantasy adventure story. The young hero, Trundle, loves his life as a lamplighter. He has a simple life on an island where people are good and kind and grow cabbages. His life is turned upside down by the arrival of Esmeralda who tells him he needs to help her with her...more
Jessica
A sweet and fairly easy read, The Six Crowns: Trundle's Quest pleasantly surprised me! It's always nice to find a fantasy story that younger readers can enjoy as well. Weighing in at less than 200 pages, this is the perfect fit.

Trundle is a humble lamplighter who loves his job. His quiet existence is very much to his liking. Enter Esmerelda! A princess whose sole purpose in life seems to be adventuring and, unfortunately for Trundle, causing lots of trouble. These two unlikely heroes set of on a...more
Chris
A slim book that's full of adventure, it was a quick read that in some ways felt too slight, but only because it had so much substance in other ways. Jones has created an intriguing world of which we only scratch the surface, interesting characters that we could definitely spend more time getting to know better, and an engaging, action-centered plot that we speed through at breakneck pace, reaching the end all too quickly. So my main complaint is that I liked the book so much that I wanted there...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Trundle is a lightkeeper whose highlight in life is going home to his cabbage soup and tea. One evening, when he goes home for the night, he meets Esmeralda, a Romany hedgehog who is on the run from a nasty group of pirates.

She claims that Trundle is the lightkeeper in a prophecy that involves the two of them finding the six badger crowns that will save the world. The pirates who are after her, however, are bent on her not reaching her goal.

Can Trundle and...more
Brenda
A prophecy is foretold that the Princess of Darkness and the Lamplighter must find the Six Crowns of the Badgers of Power. Thus begins Trundle's quest with Esmeralda to escape pirates and ruffians while locating these hidden crowns. The illustrations by Gary Chalk are reminiscent of those from the Edge Chronicles with billowing sky ships in lovely black and white. Similar to the Redwall series, this story centers around animals ( in this case two hedgehogs) but makes an easier read for younger c...more
Miss Carman
Trundle, a hedgehog and an unlikely hero gets pulled along by Esmerelda on a quest to find the 6 crowns of the badgers and to bring the floating worlds back together. The only problem is that they don't know where to start looking! On the way they get mixed up with pirates, slave drivers and more.

A great, short fantasy book that pulls you in from the first page. The suspense kept me reading until the end. I love the way that cause and effect in this story shape the whole story and make it seem...more
Amy
A very good intro to adventure children's book. I read it in just a few hours. It was just a short book, the start of a series. I was a little disappointed because the cover seemed to imply that it was only the one book. However, I have gone back and purchased 2 more, a present for my soon old enough nephew, and a separate copy for my classroom books. I think that this book would be appropriate for first grade and up. For younger ages it might work well for a read-aloud at home or in a classroom...more
Embrc
The description on Goodreads gives a great synopsis so I won't! But I will say that this book will be very appealing to those readers who enjoy animal-fantasy books. Reminiscent of Redwall and the Hobbit, this is a good choice for younger kids. It's short and has black & white illustrations scattered about. This is the first in what is sure to be a series and I think those who enjoy book one will be clamoring for the next. Ages 7-10-ish. -AM
Tara Carpenter
A fabulously-written chapter book that I read to my 6yo. Full of alliteration, it was wonderfully fun to read out loud. It's sort of like a Lord of the Rings type quest in a world populated with animals. Written for kids, the violence isn't too bad is is certainly not graphic. Both of my boys loved it & so did I. We will be reading the rest of the series.
Harla
This little chapter book takes the reader straight into adventure from the first few pages and the action does not stop until the end of the book. Even at the end it carries you on to want to read the next one since it is a first in a series. It certainly will appeal to young readers who like a lot of action.
Debbie Tanner
I didn't love this fantasy fiction novel about two hedgehogs trying to go on a quest. They are running from pirates which apparently gives them license to steal things, especially things they need for their quest. It felt like a giant chase scene.
Tracie
Apr 04, 2011 Tracie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: elem
Two young hedgehogs work together to reunite the six crowns of legend and right the wrongs of their island worlds. In this story they pursue the first of the six and battle nasty pirates - lots of harrowing escapades and adventures.
Rebecca
This seemed rawther violent for the reading level. "Oh yeah....the pirate ship just exploded and there are slimy little bits of pirate everywhere...and oh look! Someone's head!" And this is meant for elementary school?!
Margie
Sep 03, 2011 Margie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: lars
I hate to give this 4 stars, as I would only give it 2. It is shorter, easier Brian Jacques (Redwall), but lacking in the depth (but not the gore). Both boys, however, gave it 4 stars (the 7 year old AND the 11 year old).
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Perfect for fans of Geronimo Stilton who are not quite ready to tackle the really thick Redwall books or the Mistmantle Chronicles. Also good for animal fantasy fans who want a super-quick, action-packed read.
Peggy
It was an okay adventure book for young readers. Lots of action. Lots of illustrations. Has a reluctant hero and a somewhat pushy, bossy female character. Will definitely be part of a series.
Dru
I liked this story about a humble hedgehog being told he is destined to help find the six badger crowns. A bit of magic, a bit of adventure, and some pirates all make for a pretty good tale.
Pam Vlieg
The perfect gateway book for younger children to introduce them to a life long love of epic fantasy. Game of Thrones, and Lord of the Rings for 8 year olds. LOVE!
Greg Meyer
It's short, but full of imagination and totally worth reading. The illustrations are fun, too! Unique blend of fantasy, steampunk, and a bit of space travel.
I couldn't get into this book, which made me sad because the blurb on the back cover made the story sound really cute. =0(
Heather
A good fantasy adventure choice for kids who don't have the patience to plod through 400+ page stories.
Mr. Gutschenritter
I read this book on the recommendation of another and surprisingly found it very enjoyable.
Evangeline
I loved it except for one thing: it was kind of violent but I love The Six Crowns Series.
Tisha
Didn't actually finish it - just lost interest in the whole story.....
Ami
Cute adventure story. I think my children would really like it.
Rebecca
Sep 22, 2010 Rebecca marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc, fantasy, to-review
surprise review copy.... looks really cute though.
Emily
it was okay. on to number two!!!
This author has published under several versions of his name, including Allan Jones, Frewin Jones, and A.F. Jones. He has also published under the pen names Sam Hutton and Steven Saunders.
More about Allan Frewin Jones...
The Faerie Path (Faerie Path, #1) The Lost Queen (Faerie Path, #2) The Sorcerer King (Faerie Path, #3) The Immortal Realm (Faerie Path, #4) Warrior Princess (Warrior Princess, #1)