Start by marking “How Life Imitates Chess” as Want to Read:
How Life Imitates Chess

How Life Imitates Chess

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,074 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Garry Kasparov was the highest-rated chess player in the world for over twenty years and is widely considered the greatest player that ever lived. In "How Life Imitates Chess" Kasparov distills the lessons he learned over a lifetime as a Grandmaster to offer a primer on successful decision-making: how to evaluate opportunities, anticipate the future, devise winning strateg ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about How Life Imitates Chess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Life Imitates Chess

Manny
Garry Kasparov, you will have noticed by now, is one of my heroes... but, all the same, I must reluctantly admit that this is a terrible book, and downright depressing to read. Kasparov clearly started the project with high hopes. He wants to show you how the skills you pick up from top-level chess can translate into understanding of life in general, and his opening case study, organised around his first World Championship match against Karpov, is inspiring.

Kasparov went into the match underest
Roberto
Sep 17, 2015 Roberto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le letture si richiamano sempre tra loro; e infatti sono stato arrivato a questo libro leggendo la "Storia parziale delle cause perse", dove il personaggio descritto nel romanzo si ispira proprio a Kasparov.

Chi è Garri Kimovic Kasparov? Campione del mondo di scacchi all'età di 21 anni, titolo che ha detenuto poi per ben 15 anni, è stato definito come il più grande giocatore di scacchi di tutti i tempi. Una volta diventato "vecchio" verso i quarant'anni (sì, come i matematici, anche gli scacchist
Carlos Murguia
Si la intención del libro fue ser un self help: fracaso. Además sumamente pedante hablando de sí mismo y sus victorias.
Sin embargo, debo decir que tenemos en este ejemplar una prosa agradable, con ritmo ágil; un libro erudito, con conocimiento histórico puntual (quizá cargado hacia los conflictos bélicos); y con intersantes acercamientos a las ciencias cognoscitivas.
Está salpicado profusamente con citas bien escogidas y perfectamente colocadas:
"The man who knows how will always have a job. The m
Dayana
Jun 22, 2012 Dayana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Garry Kasparov es considerado el mejor jugador de la historia, y no tiene ningún prurito en autodefinirse así. Sin embargo en el libro, nos cuenta más de uno de los errores que cometió y cómo su trabajo a lo largo de tantos años de ajedrez le sirvió para prepararse para encabezar la reforma política de la Rusia democrática post soviética.

Le recomiendo el libro a todos los jugadores de ajedrez, desde jugadores profesionales a casuales. Una joya de libro. Sumamente entretenido y además bien escrit
Olegas
Dec 17, 2009 Olegas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
I would call it the modern version of The Art of War.
Would recommended it to anyone who is interested in tactics/strategy, decision making and analysis, seeking balance of effort/result as well as looking for an example of a disciplined and serious approach towards one's self-development.
Guillermo
May 01, 2013 Guillermo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Garry Kasparov is not only considered the Michael Jordan of Chess, he also does not have any cold feet in self proclaiming him so. However, in the book he tells us more than one of the mistakes hes made and how his work in chess helped him prepare for being one of the heads of the political reform for the post soviet democratic Russia.

Not only it was one of my favorite books of lately (probably since Bill Simmons Book of Basketball), and not only because I am a chess player myself, but the book
Marjan
Oct 13, 2012 Marjan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, chaos, favorites
I've been reading this for two years. Slowly, chapter by chapter, always taking some time off to think and ponder. I've read some chapters two or even three times over, and I am sure I will do it again.

Why? Well, Garry is my childhood hero and an ever reoccurring idol, so there, I am a little biased, but more importantly he is a man who was one of the strongest players on Earth well before the age of 18 and the youngest World champion ever at only 22. He held his crown for a really long time and
John Doez
Mar 06, 2014 John Doez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess, ensayo
Después de su segunda lectura, me reafirmo en las 4 estrellas.

Desde el punto de vista ajedrecístico, siempre me he situado más cercano a Karpov, el eterno rival de Kasparov. Leontxo García solía decir que esta rivalidad se encuentra entre las mayores de la historia del deporte, en la que durante 25 años los dos más grandes de la élite se han estado enfrentando por el título. Por eso, para mí, Kasparov siempre ha sido "el ogro" a vencer. Sin embargo reconozco que ha sido el jugador más grande de
Andreas Kaufmann
Apr 19, 2014 Andreas Kaufmann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess, philosophy
Definetly interesting read if you play chess.

Here is my take on this topic (analogy of chess game vs life):
* Openning (Childhood/school/education) - quick developement is essential. You need to learn a lot if you want to get a good position in the middlegame.
* Middlegame (Work) - Carefully evaluate the position (work place where you get after university). Find weak points in enemy position (available opportinities), strong points in your position (your talents and knowledge). Create a plan acco
Javier
Dec 30, 2015 Javier rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
El libro debería llamarse: "Mi vida a través del Ajedrez". Es una narración de su carrera de ajedrecista y las lecciones que aprendió durante los muchos torneos que participó.

En los primeros capítulos hay lecciones de negocios y de toma de decisiones, pero como que luego se encarreró con el puro ajedrez y ya lo demás pasó a segundo plano.

Creo que es un buen libro para jugadores de ajedrez, y es que lo que tenga que decir un campeón sobre su campo de acción, vale la pena enterarse.
Jkhickel
If you want to read some great chess stories disguised as a how-to guide for career management, this is the book for you. If you are looking to unlock the secrets to a successful business career, look elsewhere.
John
Apr 24, 2008 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book offers interesting insight into the mind of a grandmaster and relates the lessons of chess and life. It offers practical advice on how to think strategically and the dynamic relationship between calculation and intuition.
Marko Jezernik
Dec 19, 2012 Marko Jezernik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
... Politiki predstavljajo interese volilcev le v primeru, če so sposobni reagirati na kritiko in izpolnijo svoje poslanstvo...

Knjiga je zanimiva za vsakega, ki ga zanima Gari Kasparov, šah in njegova zgodovina in Garijev asociativni pogled na dogajanja v življenju, ekonomiji in politiki.
Akhil Jain
Sep 13, 2016 Akhil Jain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My fav quotes (not a review):
Page 7 |
"'The difference between man and animal is that man is capable of establishing priorities!'"
Page 7 |
"'The man who knows how will always have a job. The man who also knows why will always be his boss.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson". "'Why?' turns tacticians into strategists"
Page 26 |
"This echoes Sun Tzu, who centuries ago wrote, 'Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.'"
Page 33 |
"For Brazilian a
Naoual Amasri
Dec 18, 2016 Naoual Amasri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muchas veces, el momento en el que nos encontramos en nuestra vida influye mucho en nuestra opinión respecto a un libro. Además de mi interés por el ajedrez, creo que ha sido un libro perfecto en el momento perfecto.
Sofia
Oct 12, 2016 Sofia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Must of the book is Kasparov writing about chess matches and all that surrounds the professional chess players. A really hard and I guess I would say boring book. Not a lot of interesting ideas around life skills.
Ernesto Osorno
Sep 27, 2016 Ernesto Osorno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kasparov en este libro nos da una serie de consejos aplicables a la vida diaria que él mismo utilizó en su camino para convertirse en campeón mundial de ajedrez. Estos consejos se encuentran fundamentados en muchas ideas a seguir en momentos donde uno requiere tomar decisiones o simplemente en diferentes puntos de vista relacionados en las cosas que uno debe de hacer cada día.

Un punto de vista diferente para analizar las cosas y problemáticas de la vida misma
Harry Rutherford
How Life Imitates Chess uses examples from Kasparov’s chess career as well as business and history to illustrate points about, for example, the value of preparation, and analysing your own weaknesses.

As long as he’s talking about chess, I found it really interesting. The psychology of chess, the different approaches different players take, the preparation that goes into a big match at the top level; when he’s talking about chess, he’s engaging and insightful. The self-help aspect I found less co
Simmoril
Dec 07, 2011 Simmoril rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another in the long list of things I'm a big fan of but am horrible at, my love for it goes back to my high school days. Even back then, I was such a big fan of Garry Kasparov that I read his autobiography, "Unlimited Challenge", and it proved to be a big source of inspiration for me. Today, although chess has all but fallen by the wayside for me and Kasparov has been retired for some time now, his book still struck a deep chord with me, showing that the qualities which made him great largely tr ...more
Daniel P
Jun 25, 2010 Daniel P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book! He excellently explains many of the lessons he was able to draw throughout his life from his experiences to how it made him grow as an individual and a champion. It is great to see such words of wisdom so simply passed on in a short book for all who would venture to read it. However, some reserves must be passed onto the would-be reader. Without a doubt, you are getting more value from this book than the money you will spend and the time used to read it. However, it is sometim ...more
Oleg Kagan
Here, Garry Kasparov writes a self-help book thinly disguised as a autobiography. The self-help aspects are crystal clear and not especially noteworthy. The autobiographical details are sparse, mostly focusing on Kasparaov's professional life as a chess champion. Being a fan of chess, I found the latter sections of the book - where Kasparov describes famous chess matches of himself and others - the most interesting.

Had I listened to my inner-voice while reading the flap of How Life Imitates Che
Steven
Aug 11, 2011 Steven rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Garry Kasparov and I share a birthday. And while it's not rational, it made me want to like this book more than I did.

How Life Imitates Chess is written for a business audience and it shows in its format of mildly interesting anecdotes followed by an extrapolation to a principle that can supposedly be applied to your business affairs, whatever they may be.

And that's where the problem lies. Kasparov strains to make the case that his life of playing a game has transfer to other arenas in life. T
Franco Arda
Oct 03, 2011 Franco Arda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The wisdom of the greatest chess player of our time in one book. Many readers will greatly profit from Kasparov's in depth knowledge in a highly competitive field, in particular on PEAK PERFROMANCE, DECISION MAKING, STRATEGY & TACTICS. The specific chess stories are short, mostly at the end of each chapter and therefore can easily be skipped by readers not interested in chess.

Does life imitate chess? Yes and no. Chess helps the training of logic and concentration. Thus, any game that helps u
Kevin de Ataíde
Here's a self-help book, sitting on the philosophy shelf in the city library, with the name of a chess grandmaster on it. I picked it up because of Kasparov and the autobiographical format. Kasparov is notable for the long period over which he maintained his title, inspite of the raising of the stakes in the game especially following the development of deep computer analysis available cheaply for PCs and the legion of young players that have grown up with such machine analysis. The author delibe ...more
Armand
Oct 10, 2010 Armand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sort of a Mini Autobiography with a mixture of wise tips on how a well lived life can be played well like a chess game based partly on Kasparov's experience in the chess world. I was hesitant at first to read this book as I was neither a chess player nor a believer on a chess expert giving sound advice in the business world. Just like a chess game, it took a lot of effort to go through the opening sections and almost got bored with excerpts of historical chess games played but it soon got intere ...more
Miguel Lozano
Jul 04, 2016 Miguel Lozano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He leído algunas malas reseñas de este libro, principalmente porque el texto parece nunca cuajar. No estoy en desacuerdo con ellas, pero como principiante en el ajedrez, para mí fue un texto sumamente iluminador. Kasparov explica muy bien las partidas, y cuando se trata de juegos donde él participó, intenta ser muy honesto en cuanto a sus pensamientos y debilidades. Es, claro, muy arrogante y un tanto orgulloso, pero se le perdona debido a sus increíbles habilidades en el tablero. Digamos que ti ...more
Frank
Jan 28, 2011 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Questo libro di Karparov e' un misto di tante cose. E' un po' biografia perche' l'autore racconta la sua vita dall'infanzia fino ai giorni nostri. E' un po' un saggio sugli scacchi perche' parlando delle vicende, dei tornei e delle tante sfide con Karpov e gli altri Grandi Maestri, racconta la storia dei piu' grandi giocatori degli ultimi due secoli. E' anche un libro politico perche' parlando degli ultimi 3-4 anni racconta del suo impegno nell'organizzazione di un'opposizione importante nei con ...more
David
Feb 04, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A better-than-average celebrity business book, though in spots it falls subject to the anecditis typical of the genre: long series of repetitive illustrations of the same point. However, Kasparov is an interesting enough character that you can forgive some of these episodes, and there are a few genuine points to be gleaned here. The MTQ triangle (material, time and quality) is not a new concept to business managers or project leaders, but the chess illustrations (if you appreciate chess) are qui ...more
Owlseyes
ASIDE NOTE: I'm in search for answers, regarding the recent "moves"...in Russia. Their authors...motives...implications...

Feb 28 2015.

----
"This book, which had just been released in the U.S., was the topic of the first question from the moderator. “So, Mr. Kasparov, how does life imitate chess?” I did not hesitate to answer, “It doesn’t!”

"Chess is ideal because it is a closed system with clear rules and fixed objectives. It is a laboratory in which we can conduct controlled experiments that
Janne Järvinen
Not to diminish Kasparov's work in politics, it still strikes me as a novelty to use chess terminology to discuss other (and all) aspects of life. Sure, it can be done, and it can be quite clever at times. I just don't think it gives any additional depth or value to the lessons. Kasparov could have made all his points without any chess metaphors, if he had wanted to.

I like what the man is saying, though, even though the additional layer of cleverness felt purposeless. Good general life lessons h
Toimii! 1 5 Nov 16, 2014 06:56PM
  • The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain
  • Winning Chess Tactics, revised
  • The Amateur's Mind: Turning Chess Misconceptions Into Chess Mastery
  • Chess Master vs. Chess Amateur
  • Tal-Botvinnik 1960
  • Chess For Dummies
  • Lunch with the FT: 52 Classic Interviews
  • Understanding Chess Move by Move
  • Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets Lost the Most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time
  • Searching for Bobby Fischer: The Father of a Prodigy Observes the World of Chess
  • King's Gambit: A Son, A Father, and the World's Most Dangerous Game
  • My System
  • Idea Mapping: How to Access Your Hidden Brain Power, Learn Faster, Remember More, and Achieve Success in Business
  • My Best Games of Chess, 1908-1937
  • Resource Wars: The New Landscape of Global Conflict
  • Art of Attack in Chess
  • Mind Maps at Work: How to Be the Best at Your Job and Still Have Time to Play
  • The Kings of New York: A Year Among the Geeks, Oddballs, and Geniuses Who Make Up America's Top High School Chess Team
Russian (formerly Soviet) chess grandmaster, former World Chess Champion, writer, and political activist, whom many consider the greatest chess player of all time.
More about Garry Kasparov...

“People only heard him defending himself, not presenting his own message.” 0 likes