Start by marking “Mighty Jackie: The Strike-Out Queen” as Want to Read:
Mighty Jackie: The Strike-Out Queen

Mighty Jackie: The Strike-Out Queen

For as long as she could remember, Jackie Mitchell's father had told Jackie she could be good at whatever she wanted, as long as she worked at it. Jackie worked at baseball. She worked hard. And before long Jackie could outplay anyone in her neighborhood -- even the boys.
She had one pitch -- a wicked, dropping curve ball. But no seventeen-year-old girl could pitch agains
Published February 1st 2004 by Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published January 27th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mighty Jackie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mighty Jackie

Matthew
Mar 19, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it
This is really a dark part of the history of major league baseball that even today I doubt qualifies as resolved. There aren't too many favorable descriptions of the people involved, though they probably don't deserve one if what I read here is true.

The book is well done. The writing is at an approachable level. The description of the event is vivid. The evidence of thorough research is plain to see. All in all, I'd read this to kids. I doubt Babe Ruth fans would be overly fond of the portrayal
Kate
Nov 18, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
How have I never heard of this woman before? I can't believe a 17 year-old girl struck out both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig and her name isn't famous. Stupid men. Good book from great subject material and beautiful illustrations.
NS- Sarah
This story is about a woman named Jackie Mitchell who was the first woman to make Major League Baseball history. She was the pitcher for the Chattanooga Lookouts and during an exhibition game against the NY Yankees she struck out Babe Ruth! Even though I didn't find the book especially engaging I did like how it was a bit of a hybrid story. Author, Marissa Moss, manages to tell a biography while lacing the story with themes of perseverance and gender stereotypes. Not to mention that it is a pict ...more
Mar 11, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
We had a ridiculously fun program today with the older kids. In honor of women's history month, I gathered my favorite picture books/biographies of famous women. I booktalked them all, and then I read this fabulous story of Jackie Mitchell. Our craft? Paper airplane competition in honor of Amelia Earhart. Imagine 60 kids in a room with TONS of planes flying around. Good times!

Back to the book - I tend to pick picture books without a lot of words on the page, especially for such a large group. I
Clint Keller
Oct 28, 2011 Clint Keller rated it really liked it
"Mighty Jackie: The Strike Out Queen", is a prime example of an uplifting underdog story that could get any person silently chanting Jackie during the story. A young girl, Mighty Jackie, who was raised up on baseball and all its greatness became a pitcher in the Womens' Proffesional baseball leauge. Even though most fans of the Womens' baseball leauge were only watching because MLB was on the rocks because of the draft and WWII, that didn't stop Jackie from giving them a show.

Jackie had gotten
Amy
Feb 25, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
Awesome! 17 year old minor league pitcher Jackie Mitchell struck out both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in one amazing game. She was then officially banned from both major and minor league ball. Despite that, she continued to play in the minors for years. Who is this strike-out queen? Introduce your kids to Jackie Mitchell with this powerhouse of a picture book.

Great writing that stops your breath and makes you feel like you are right there, in the moment of the game. The artwork makes the game fe
Rebecca
Jan 06, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
The almost forgotten story of a seventeen year old girl, Jackie Mitchell, whose dream of playing major league ball is realized when she gets to pitch against the famed New York Yankee team and strikes out both Babe Ruth and Lou Gherig in the same game. A book with a “girls can do anything” theme, the author’s note gives more detailed biographical information about Jackie Mitchell with a presumed photo of her as the watermark. The illustrations are so expressive, it’s hard to tell if the illustra ...more
babyhippoface
True or False: A girl once pitched to both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, and struck them both out.

True. And this is her (brief) story. Jackie grew up playing baseball with her dad and in any sandlot games she could find. She was an ace pitcher who played for Chattanooga back in the days when women belonged in the kitchen adorned with pearls and apron, and she did indeed strike out both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

(Of course, these days, you have to explain who Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig are for this book
Holly
Jun 23, 2011 Holly rated it really liked it
Kim led me to this one because of the illustrator C.F. Payne who lives in Cincinnati. I didn't know about Jackie Mitchell, and I LOVE stories about spunky and talented girls!
Kim
Oct 28, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: student-books
Reread to pair with HF story in Storyworks magazine.
Good introductory biography and I love the illustrator, CF Payne!
Angelica Nucico
Oct 31, 2016 Angelica Nucico rated it liked it
Mighty Jackie: The Strike-Out Queen is not your typical multicultural book. This book speaks of the struggle that women used to face in the 1930s. It helps to educate children on what happened before females were empowered.
The pictures in the book were very realistic and it really helps the reader understand the words better because they add so much character to the book. The words in bold really made the reader feel like they were actually there. Overall this book was good and it really helps
Maggie Burgess
Oct 16, 2016 Maggie Burgess rated it really liked it
Another great picture book about someone I've never heard of, but should have. Super important for young girls, but equally important for young boys! Don't miss the author's note in the back. (Wish it was more prominent.) Definitely need to add this to my classroom library.
Janine Weston
Spring is in the air and the Major League Baseball season is right around the corner. Raise your hand if you like playing or watching baseball games. Raise your hand if you play on a team--perhaps a Little League tean. Raise your hand if you don't particularly care for baseball at all. Well, it doesn't matter if you love baseball or hate baseball. You don't have to be a sports fanatic to absolutely love this book!

Mighty Jackie: The Strike-Out Queen by local author, Marissa Moss, is a true story
Caycee Hatchette
May 07, 2015 Caycee Hatchette rated it it was amazing
Personal Reaction- I enjoyed everything about this book. I like that the author used the first few pages to hook the reader and then went into a flashback of Jackie Mitchell’s life and the events that got her to where she ended up.

Read aloud- I think this would be great to read aloud to the class. It flows really well and it really entertaining. I would read it aloud to make the connection to the theme of determination. This is a great book that conveys the message of determination because she
Krista
Feb 14, 2016 Krista rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literacy-class
Mighty Jackie is an amazing true story of a young girl who grew up in the late 1920's who refused to believe she wasn't as good as the boys. This picture book is appropriate for all ages, the illustrations and message will be enjoyed by the young and old. This story offers an opportunity for students to read as a critical literacy piece, exploring societies view of women in the 1930's and even today. Mighty Jackie loved baseball, throughout her childhood her father helped teach her how to play e ...more
Megan McKenny
Apr 29, 2015 Megan McKenny rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction: The story of Jackie Mitchell told in this story is an almost forgotten tale. I was surprised to hear of her accomplishments as a 17-year-old girl pitched in the major leagues, striking out two legends, Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in one game. It is great to hear of such a shocking story that has not had as much attention as it deserves. The author does a great job of creating a story that makes the reader feel as if they were present in the time.

Purpose(s): This would be a good
Hannah Taylor
May 05, 2015 Hannah Taylor rated it liked it
Personal reaction: I thought this book was really inspiring because of the way Jackie overcame the obstacles and the criticisms and was able to strike out two of baseball's best back-to-back in Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

Purpose: This would be a great for a student in the 2nd to 3rd grade to read independently because it really shows how you can fight through adversity and overcome obstacles to become successful if you put your mind to it. Children who like sports and/or are athletic, especially f
L11_Page
Mar 07, 2011 L11_Page rated it really liked it
This is the true story of 17 year old Jackie Mitchell, who, in 1931, was a left-handed pitcher for the minor league Chattanooga Lookouts baseball team. She proceeded to strike out baseball legends Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig of the New York Yankees. After this famous performance, she traveled the country playing for various teams but never regained her fame because the baseball commisioner declared baseball "too strenuous for women" and she was denied playing against teams the caliber of the Yankee ...more
Kara Walker
Jul 29, 2014 Kara Walker rated it really liked it
Jackie Mitchell's story tells of a young girl determined to make it in Major League baseball. Although growing up boys taunted her, her father always taught her to never give up. Even Brooklyn Dodgers player, Dazzy Vance, saw talent in her. This encouragement, along with Jackie's persistence and determination, allowed her the opportunity to pitch against the Yankees. Thousands of people came just to watch the spectacle and to jeer her. No one took it seriously: “Jackie was young, only seventeen ...more
Brittany
Jess
Jackie can pitch. But can she strike out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig?

Yay! Love this based on a real story about a 17 year old girl who pitched in an exhibition game against the New York Yankees. We've got a supportive father, practice and hard work being keys to success, and a taste of how terrible people and media can be when you don't comply with their roles.

Great story time read. Large, easy to see from any row illustrations plus smooth writing that grips everyone's attention from the start with
Sandy Brehl
One of the many things I enjoyed about this biography/picture book is the support Jackie received in her earliest years by the males in her life- her dad and star pitcher Dazzy Dance of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Her (and their) insistence that the "throw like a girl" tag had no place in her life if she was willing to invest the time, practice, and learning that would allow her to dream, and dream big.
In later years when the leading batters in the major leagues faced her from home plate she drew on
Dolly
Apr 03, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful and true story about a terrific baseball pitcher who happened to be a female. She had the opportunity to play in the minor leagues and actually struck out both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. The illustrations by C.F. Payne are wonderfully old fashioned and reminiscent of his backcover illustrations for the Reader's Digest. And the narrative is short, but gives a good background of Jackie's story.

This book was read to us at a library program for school-age children on Spring break
Meredith
Lively writing, but not sure if my students will be engaged, because I learned when reading the RICBA contender "Joltin' Joe" that most of them aren't that familiar with the rules of baseball.

That being said, I was shocked that I had never heard of the girl who struck out Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. And the author's note is infuriating - they basically kicked her out of the majors after that, so she wouldn't show up any more manly men. UGH!

I do wish the text had explained how she came to know Daz
Louisa Verma
May 27, 2012 Louisa Verma rated it it was amazing

I liked this book and was amazed that I've never heard of Jackie! I think it was a little over the head for younger girls as they have no sense of why men wouldn't let her play or why it was special that she could strike out some of the big names in baseball history. Sometimes I wonder if reading stories like these actually does them a disservice by planting the seeds that women are not good enough.
Carl Sanders
Aug 22, 2013 Carl Sanders rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
No Strikeout With This Book!

This story of Jackie Mitchell, the pioneering young lady who pitched against Babe Ruth may be a bit over dramatized, but it is well presented with illustrations by the incomparable C.F. Payne. The full page portrait of Babe Ruth with the large nose (trademark of C.F. Payne) is outstanding.
Jen
Jun 04, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarian friends who read to kids
Recommended to Jen by: Quinn Elementary PTO
I was a guest reader in a 3rd grade classroom, and this book was a hit, pun intended. Jackie struck out Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig, and lest we all think this led to a great career in the major leagues...do you see any women playing baseball eighty years later?

GREAT read-aloud for animated readers. I let the kids say "strike three" with me, and the audience participation was fantastic.
Ed
Mar 21, 2010 Ed rated it really liked it
As a reader of old time baseball books, I enjoyed the story and illustratiions. A sad commentary was that the then baseball commissioner voided her minor league contract and barred women from playing professional baseball. The same man who barred blacks from baseball and keeping Shoeless Joe Jackson from ever playing MLB again. What a small man!
Donna
Jul 17, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it
Summer camp read-aloud that was big hit with elementary age group. Provoked a lot of questions and interaction with the mixed-age group from kindergarten to sixth grade. Added some pictures of Jackie Mitchell from the internet to reinforce the fact that she was a real person.
Aphrodite
Apr 02, 2014 Aphrodite rated it it was amazing
This book is actually a true story of one of the first female baseball players. It gives the message that you should never give up on your dreams in life no matter what any says or does to put you down.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Henry Aaron's Dream
  • She Loved Baseball: The Effa Manley Story
  • Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic
  • Queen of the Diamond: The Lizzie Murphy Story
  • Amelia and Eleanor Go for a Ride
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer
  • Hoop Genius: How a Desperate Teacher and a Rowdy Gym Class Invented Basketball
  • You Never Heard of Sandy Koufax?!
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman
  • Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Lincoln Tells a Joke: How Laughter Saved the President (and the Country)
  • Vision of Beauty: The Story of Sarah Breedlove Walker
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
  • Anne Frank
Who is Marissa Moss anyway?

I’ve been making children’s books for a looooong time. I sent my first picture book to publishers when I was nine, but it wasn’t very good and they didn’t publish it. I didn’t try again until I was a grown-up and then it took five years of sending out stories, getting them rejected, revising them and sending them back over and over until I got my first book. Now I’ve pub
More about Marissa Moss...