The Art of Living and Other Stories

The Art of Living and Other Stories

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  8 reviews
An inspired book of short stories that explores the profound relationship between life and art

While mourning the loss of his son in the Vietnam War, an Italian chef reflects on the importance of art for future generations. An American boy retreats inward after he kills his younger brother in a farming accident, finding solace in classical music and a friendship with his te...more
Published September 21st 2010 by Open Road Integrated Media (first published 1981)

Laurel
This is a re-read for me. Haven't read Gardner for a few decades and I'm looking forward to it.

And it was everything and more than I remembered. My favorites were "The Joy of the Just," "Vlemk the Box-Painter" (what a fabulous fairy tale), and "The Art of Living."

Gardner's characters come alive for the reader and you can almost "feel" what they feel.
Matt Gaither
Some of my favs are in this collection. "Redemption" is a great story, and "Vlemk the Box Painter" is another awesome fairy-tale-but-serious novella. I also remember "The Joy of the Just" reading very much like Flannery O'Connor.
Veronica
My favorite short story collection. Each one offers a different insight into the nature of life and art. Reading it dramatically altered my view on both.
Brandon
Gardner's stories are as good as his novels. Some really good ones here--"Vlemk the Box-Painter" is the real treasure in this collection.
Dan
Why have I never heard of John Gardner before this book? Must find more by him.
Okdavy
my favorite story in this collection is Vlemk the Box Painter.
Julie
march 2002 (amy's pick) - redemption
Aaron
Imperial Dog... yikes!
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Yuhan
Yuhan marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Eddie Joshua
Eddie Joshua is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2014
Marie Ortiz
Marie Ortiz marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Jack Buck
Jack Buck marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
John Champlin Gardner was a well-known and controversial American novelist and university professor, best known for his novel Grendel, a retelling of the Beowulf myth.

Gardner was born in Batavia, New York. His father was a lay preacher and dairy farmer, and his mother taught English at a local school. Both parents were fond of Shakespeare and often recited literature together. As a child, Gardner...more
More about John Gardner...
Grendel The Art of Fiction: Notes on Craft for Young Writers On Becoming a Novelist October Light The Sunlight Dialogues