Start by marking “The Christian Counselor's Manual: The Practice of Nouthetic Counseling” as Want to Read:
The Christian Counselor's Manual: The Practice of Nouthetic Counseling

The Christian Counselor's Manual: The Practice of Nouthetic Counseling

A companion and sequel volume to 'Competent to Counsel', this volume includes indexes, a detailed table of contents, and many diagrams and forms, all of which make this one of the best reference books for Christian counselors.
Published September 21st 2010 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 1973)

Philip
Feb 20, 2011 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has heard of the author already has an opinion of the work; however, in spite of these assumptions, if one really reads Adams for what he is saying, the reader should walk away with the following concepts: (1) Adams believes that the Bible hold the answers for all of life’s problems. (2) All problems in life are either physical (the realm of the doctor) or spiritual (the realm of the pastor). (3) Adams believes that every believer should be able to assist others in applying the Bible ...more
Ivan
Dec 29, 2012 Ivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Foundational book for every pastor who by definition is a counselor. Here are a few convictions that were strengthened after reading this book:

Confidence in the Bible and Optimism in Counseling. First and foremost, this book makes clear that the Bible is totally sufficient to not simply convert sinners but sanctify saints. The Christian counselor therefore has an unassailable trust in the Bible knowing it records what God has spoken. That confidence in the counselor and optimism in the task then
Shannon Cooper
This is a great resource to have! Whether you are pursuing ministry as a Biblical Counselor or simply would like to be a better mentor/disciple-maker, you should read and have this book in your collection. Adams is very direct in his approach and does not sugar-coat the problems that people have. He makes sure that his readers are not left in confusion about the role sin plays in a person's life, both sins committed against the counselee and personal sins . Throughout the book he reminds the rea ...more
Chris Comis
It was alright. Good old Jay E. Adams and his one-million books on counseling, and counting. I like Adams because he seeks to be as biblically grounded as possible, but still manages to deal with all the secular pop-psychobabble you get from the integrationists, and such. He definitely paved the way for a lot of guys to turn to their bibles for counseling purposes.
Barry
Sep 22, 2012 Barry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great guide for pastors and counselors from the father of the modern biblical guidance movement. Sound advice.
Marilyn Diamond
Because this book's edition was dated in 1973, we as a class had a problem with many of the strategies provided for Christian Counseling. The author also came from a Reformed Episcopal Seminary for a traditional Southern Christian class. Even my Professor had a problem with many of the presuptitations and principles. I would not recommend this book to a modern day Seminary. As a reformed Catholic student in a Christian Seminary I manged to pull out a great grade.
B. Jackson
This is an excellent resource for anyone that wants to provide good solid counseling advice when people come to you in need of it. I'm posing this statement in generic terms of the counselor involved because, even though this particular work is geared towards the Christian counselor (in a leadership role), the learning often applicable to believers and non-believers alike. I've read this book several times. It's definitely something that I like to revisit at least on a yearly basis. It is easy t ...more
zhenhua xiao
Oct 12, 2015 zhenhua xiao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read to know the sufficiency of the Bible.

Uphold the sufficiency of the Bible, where the wisdom of God is sufficient to solve the root problem of sin.
A must read Manuel book for theological student.
Affection, emotion, and feelings could be more clarified in the future. Or can quote works of Jonathan Edwards.
Bruce
May 01, 2012 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ministry
Another of Adam's classic works. Where Competent to Counsel gave encouragement to give counsel, The Christian Counselor's Manual was the basic "how to." My original copy from the 70's is heavily marked and for a long time was just about all I had as I learned what biblical counseling was and was not.
Susan
Apr 03, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite introduction to Biblical Counseling. It is long, but full of such important foundational theology along with practical approaches to counseling. I don't agree with all of Jay Adams theology - he might not have me practicing biblical counseling formally since I'm not a pastor, but I'll forgive him that and enjoy all the wisdom he has to share about the process!
Emil Bredahl
Nov 09, 2015 Emil Bredahl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply a masterpiece that I really have enjoyed reading through. It clarifies so many important aspects of biblical counseling and it should be a must read for counselors. I give this book full support and I want to highly recommend this book

Jeff
Mar 12, 2012 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I admire Adam's faith and his desire to stay true to the Bible. I think he over simplifies counseling and rejects methods that might be useful for some people. Tends to see demons around every tree and bush.
Debbie
Feb 29, 2016 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discipleship
Here is a resource for Christian Biblical counselors and those who wish to become Biblical counselors. Much of the material overlaps with Adams' other counseling books, and some of it is identical to what you will read in his other books, but it remains a valuable tool.
Larry
Apr 05, 2008 Larry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
all of jay adams' works are biblically, psychologically, and scientifically inept, wrong-headed, filled with bad theology and scientific error; in short, they are terrible.
Rose
Rose rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Feefee Jones
Feefee Jones rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
Stephanie Ridiculous
Stephanie Ridiculous rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2017
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2011
L.b.
L.b. rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Richard Hartley
Richard Hartley rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2013
Blake
Blake rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Elena Boyko
Elena Boyko rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Jared Mitcham
Jared Mitcham rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Jim Patten
Jim Patten rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2009
Elton
Elton rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Abiodun Babatunde
Abiodun Babatunde rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
D.B. Graham
D.B. Graham rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Belinda Whatley
Belinda Whatley rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
  • Counseling: How to Counsel Biblically (MacArthur Pastor's Library)
  • Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave: Finding Hope in the Power of the Gospel
  • Seeing with New Eyes: Counseling and the Human Condition Through the Lens of Scripture
  • Strengthening Your Marriage
  • Psychology, Theology, and Spirituality in Christian Counseling
  • The Peacemaker: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Personal Conflict
  • Christian Counseling: A Comprehensive Guide
  • Five Views on Law and Gospel
  • Effective Biblical Counseling: A Model for Helping Caring Christians Become Capable Counselors
Also known as Jay Edward Adams
More about Jay E. Adams...