Start by marking “Hunter Kiss: A Companion Novella to the Iron Hunt and Darkness Calls” as Want to Read:
Hunter Kiss: A Companion Novella to the Iron Hunt and Darkness Calls

Hunter Kiss: A Companion Novella to the Iron Hunt and Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss 0.5)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Atlantis, demon hordes, guardian angels, and an animal whisperer. Wild Thing has this and more.
Published February 1st 2009 by Ace Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hunter Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunter Kiss

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I began reading Iron Hunt and was having a confusing time of it when someone mentioned that there was a prequel (thank you, Kendra) so I put Iron Hunt down and read this. It explained how Maxine met Grant and described some of her background, all very helpful but for someone who constantly moves around and avoids men like the plague, Maxine sure did fall into bed with Grant very quickly, they're not even well-matched or have much chemistry. Grant gravitated towards Maxine like a moth to flame an ...more
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
"Hunter Kiss" by Marjorie M. Liu was a pretty interesting story about a demon hunter who meets a man that changes everything she has ever known. It is full of action, romance, in the non-traditional sense, and intrigue from beginning to end. I liked the character of Maxine Kiss and the tragedy of her life and those before her. I also liked the little demons that live on her body as tattoos during the day and come alive at night. The love interest, Grant, was pretty interesting as well. I think t ...more
Jacqueline
This really should be read before beginning her series, as it clarifies and sets up a lot. Overall, it's a very good novella - action packed and romantic.
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
~ 3 Stars~

Hunter Kiss is the Prequel to the Hunter Kiss series by Marjorie M. Liu. I recommend reading this before you start The Iron Hunt book 1. Hunter Kiss is full of action, romance, in the non-traditional sense, and intrigue from beginning to end.

The prequel is written POV and explains about Maxine, her background story, as well as her meeting Grant. She is someone who has no home, no roots and avoids men like the plague. She sure did fall into bed with Grant very quickly and I did not feel
Dorothea
I read two of the Hunter Kiss novels before realizing that this novella (which was first published with some other authors' novellas before the Hunter Kiss novels) existed. So I was a bit confused as to why the novels, which have a strong romantic element although they're closer to urban fantasy than paranormal romance, only allude in passing to the story of Maxine Kiss meeting her partner, Grant Cooperon.

The reason seems to be that Liu already published that story, in this novella. So if you wa
GCB-LovesGoodBooks
I really liked this novella and read it before reading the first in the series as a number of reviewers had said to read this first. It was refreshing and sort of a new genre for me - speculative religious paranormal romance and you what, I think I like it.

But one thing, they really did not need to have sex so quickly. This was the only discordant part of the novella for me. Too soon.
Anoolka
Perhaps closer to 3.5 than 4 this was nontheless a pleasant read. I started reading the first book in this series and then relaized there was this prequel. Things make much more sense with this little novella as an introduction to the series. On one hand I found Maxine and Grant's relatinship to be moving awfully fast, on the other hand Grant is a refreshingly different male character for a paranormal/urban fantasy series. He's not phisically perfect, he's somewhat naive and far more postitive ( ...more
Kati
I really loved the first book in the "Hunter Kiss" series even though I found it a bit confusing, reading it without knowing about this novella. But this story? Too preachy, too much would-be religious talk about the essence of good and evil, too much info dumped on the reader, too long, too whiny... And the sex was so, so unnecessary. It actually turned me off. When I got to the part where they started climbing each other like a tree after knowing each other for an hour or two, I almost dropped ...more
Lara
Interesting world. Interesting characters. Must look up the first novel and see if Liu holds it all together in a longer work.
Donna
As someone who really enjoyed The Iron Hunt despite that nagging feeling of missing backstory, I was very happy to see this novella made available separately from the paranormal romance anthology it was first published in.
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
A great prequel that introduces you to the dark and sinister world of Maxine Kiss, demon hunter. Glad I read this one before starting the series. It gives you a good back story that is insightful when reading The Iron Hunt.
Elaine
I had to stop reading The Iron Hunt and read this in order to get the backstory. While reading The Iron Hunt, I was very confused about timelines and how some characters knew each other. This story explained so much.
Victoria
Hunter Kiss is the prequel to the Hunter Kiss series. Though I liked the plot, and the world building, I just didn’t connect to the main character. Maybe I will revisit this series at a later date.
Michele
This was definitely the set up for the series, and it was a great set up. Can't wait to read the rest of the series. Maxine and her boys are awesome.
Denise
This was before the first 3 Hunger Kiss books and her meeting Grant who is with her through the other 3 books in the series. It is very short.
Lindig
Excellent, dense, not an easy read, helps to know classical mythology
Karen Jean
Karen Jean marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Trevor
Trevor marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Laurie P
Laurie P marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
  • The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)
  • Originally Human (World of Lupi, #1.5)
  • Devil's Business (Black London, #4)
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #4.7)
  • Caught Forever Between (Hoodoo, #2.5)
  • Shadow City (Horngate Witches, #3)
  • Capturing the Silken Thief
  • Blood Tears
  • Rusted Veins (Sabina Kane, #5.5)
  • Finding Magic (Downside Ghosts, #0.5)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • Elena's Serenade
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
  • Rising Dark (The Darkling Trilogy, Book 2)
  • Get It (Enemies to Lovers, #2.5)
  • The Mercy Thompson Collection Books (Mercy Thompson, #1-5)

Hunter Kiss (5 books)
  • The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss #1)
  • Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2)
  • A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, #3)
  • The Mortal Bone (Hunter Kiss, #4)
  • Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss, #5)
The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss #1) Tiger Eye (Dirk & Steele,  #1) Black Widow: The Name of the Rose Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2) Shadow Touch (Dirk & Steele,  #2)

“I’m too much a man for hysterics.”

Liu, Marjorie M. (2009-01-20). Hunter Kiss: A Companion Novella to The Iron Hunt and Darkness Calls (A Hunter Kiss Novella) (Kindle Locations 355-356). Penguin Group US. Kindle Edition.”
1 likes