Start by marking “Hunter Kiss (Hunter Kiss, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Hunter Kiss (Hunter Kiss, #0.5)

Hunter Kiss (Hunter Kiss 0.5)

Atlantis, demon hordes, guardian angels, and an animal whisperer. Wild Thing has this and more.
Published February 1st 2009 by Ace Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hunter Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunter Kiss

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I began reading Iron Hunt and was having a confusing time of it when someone mentioned that there was a prequel (thank you, Kendra) so I put Iron Hunt down and read this. It explained how Maxine met Grant and described some of her background, all very helpful but for someone who constantly moves around and avoids men like the plague, Maxine sure did fall into bed with Grant very quickly, they're not even well-matched or have much chemistry. Grant gravitated towards Maxine like a moth to flame an ...more
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
"Hunter Kiss" by Marjorie M. Liu was a pretty interesting story about a demon hunter who meets a man that changes everything she has ever known. It is full of action, romance, in the non-traditional sense, and intrigue from beginning to end. I liked the character of Maxine Kiss and the tragedy of her life and those before her. I also liked the little demons that live on her body as tattoos during the day and come alive at night. The love interest, Grant, was pretty interesting as well. I think t ...more
Jacqueline
This really should be read before beginning her series, as it clarifies and sets up a lot. Overall, it's a very good novella - action packed and romantic.
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
~ 3 Stars~

Hunter Kiss is the Prequel to the Hunter Kiss series by Marjorie M. Liu. I recommend reading this before you start The Iron Hunt book 1. Hunter Kiss is full of action, romance, in the non-traditional sense, and intrigue from beginning to end.

The prequel is written POV and explains about Maxine, her background story, as well as her meeting Grant. She is someone who has no home, no roots and avoids men like the plague. She sure did fall into bed with Grant very quickly and I did not feel
Dorothea
Dec 09, 2013 Dorothea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read two of the Hunter Kiss novels before realizing that this novella (which was first published with some other authors' novellas before the Hunter Kiss novels) existed. So I was a bit confused as to why the novels, which have a strong romantic element although they're closer to urban fantasy than paranormal romance, only allude in passing to the story of Maxine Kiss meeting her partner, Grant Cooperon.

The reason seems to be that Liu already published that story, in this novella. So if you wa
Anoolka
Perhaps closer to 3.5 than 4 this was nontheless a pleasant read. I started reading the first book in this series and then relaized there was this prequel. Things make much more sense with this little novella as an introduction to the series. On one hand I found Maxine and Grant's relatinship to be moving awfully fast, on the other hand Grant is a refreshingly different male character for a paranormal/urban fantasy series. He's not phisically perfect, he's somewhat naive and far more postitive ( ...more
Kati
I really loved the first book in the "Hunter Kiss" series even though I found it a bit confusing, reading it without knowing about this novella. But this story? Too preachy, too much would-be religious talk about the essence of good and evil, too much info dumped on the reader, too long, too whiny... And the sex was so, so unnecessary. It actually turned me off. When I got to the part where they started climbing each other like a tree after knowing each other for an hour or two, I almost dropped ...more
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
A great prequel that introduces you to the dark and sinister world of Maxine Kiss, demon hunter. Glad I read this one before starting the series. It gives you a good back story that is insightful when reading The Iron Hunt.
GCB-LovesGoodBooks
I really liked this novella and read it before reading the first in the series as a number of reviewers had said to read this first. It was refreshing and sort of a new genre for me - speculative religious paranormal romance and you what, I think I like it.

But one thing, they really did not need to have sex so quickly. This was the only discordant part of the novella for me. Too soon.
Donna
Mar 20, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
As someone who really enjoyed The Iron Hunt despite that nagging feeling of missing backstory, I was very happy to see this novella made available separately from the paranormal romance anthology it was first published in.
Robin
May 24, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it
This is good. It's the prequel to the first book in this series, unfortuneatly I read the first book quite some time ago and while I remember some of it, the gist, not a great deal more. So it feels out of context but my fault. Still a good story.
Elaine
Feb 17, 2010 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to stop reading The Iron Hunt and read this in order to get the backstory. While reading The Iron Hunt, I was very confused about timelines and how some characters knew each other. This story explained so much.
Victoria
Oct 13, 2011 Victoria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Hunter Kiss is the prequel to the Hunter Kiss series. Though I liked the plot, and the world building, I just didn’t connect to the main character. Maybe I will revisit this series at a later date.
Denise
Oct 01, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, magical
This was before the first 3 Hunger Kiss books and her meeting Grant who is with her through the other 3 books in the series. It is very short.
Lara
Jan 12, 2015 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Interesting world. Interesting characters. Must look up the first novel and see if Liu holds it all together in a longer work.
Karenr
Oct 05, 2015 Karenr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very stilted writing made it hard to follow the story.
Edna
Feb 06, 2015 Edna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars!
Lindig
Jun 13, 2009 Lindig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Excellent, dense, not an easy read, helps to know classical mythology
Michelegg
Sep 01, 2010 Michelegg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely the set up for the series, and it was a great set up. Can't wait to read the rest of the series. Maxine and her boys are awesome.
Khaiell
Khaiell rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2011
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
May 30, 2010
Sunny
Sunny rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2011
Sherry Soule
Sherry Soule rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2013
Kerri
Kerri rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2014
Astrid
Astrid rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Vanessa Hardy
Vanessa Hardy rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2011
Stacy
Stacy rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2011
Pang Hartman
Pang Hartman rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Originally Human (World of Lupi, #1.5)
  • The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • Deeds of Men (Onyx Court, #1.5)
  • Caught Forever Between (Hoodoo, #2.5)
  • Bone Gods (Black London, #3)
  • Darkest Powers Tales
  • Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)
  • Capturing the Silken Thief
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • Rusted Veins (Sabina Kane, #5.5)
  • Elena's Serenade
  • Swan, Volume 1
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • Get It (Enemies to Lovers, #2.5)
New York Times bestselling and award-winning writer Marjorie Liu is best known for her fiction and comic books. She teaches comic book writing at MIT, and she leads a class on Popular Fiction at the Voices of Our Nation (VONA) workshop.

Ms. Liu is a highly celebrated comic book writer. Her extensive work with Marvel includes the bestselling Dark Wolverine series, NYX: No Way Home, X-23, and Black
More about Marjorie M. Liu...

Hunter Kiss (5 books)
  • The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss, #1)
  • Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2)
  • A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, #3)
  • The Mortal Bone (Hunter Kiss, #4)
  • Labyrinth of Stars (Hunter Kiss, #5)

“I’m too much a man for hysterics.”

Liu, Marjorie M. (2009-01-20). Hunter Kiss: A Companion Novella to The Iron Hunt and Darkness Calls (A Hunter Kiss Novella) (Kindle Locations 355-356). Penguin Group US. Kindle Edition.”
1 likes