Start by marking “Torn (Torn Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:

Torn (Torn Trilogy #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,441 ratings  ·  213 reviews
Everyone has secrets.
Even best friends.

Mo Fitzgerald knows about secrets. But when she witnesses her best friend's murder, she discovers Verity was hiding things she never could have guessed. To find the answers she needs and the vengeance she craves, Mo—quiet, ordinary, unmagical Mo—will have to enter a world of raw magic and shifting alliances. And she'll have to choose...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Torn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torn

Divergent by Veronica RothUnearthly by Cynthia HandWither by Lauren DeStefanoAcross the Universe by Beth RevisStarcrossed by Josephine Angelini
YA Debuts 2011
102nd out of 332 books — 1,245 voters
Wither by Lauren DeStefanoEntwined by Heather DixonSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDie for Me by Amy PlumAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Best Book Covers 2011
226th out of 718 books — 3,087 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenelle
I guess I should have looked more closely to see that the 4 star rating only came from 200 and some readers, but c'mon people, where are your standards?

A great looking cover (even if the girl does have a slightly droopy eye which is charmingly realistic instead of photo-shopped to the Uncanny Valley), does not mean a great book.

Neither does the tension of two out-of-her-league hot guys, competing for the perpetually nerdy/clumsy/under-appreciated/unconsciously attractive shy girl who is determ...more
Jennifer Armentrout
One of my favorite reads of 2011
Meagan Catherine
I have heard some people say that the cover didn't really pull them in. For me the cover had absolutely nothing to do with me picking up this book. I have an advanced review copy. It is green and simply says "Torn" on the cover. I grabbed this book simply because the title caught my attention. Simple yet powerful, I was curious to see what this book was really about.

From the very first few pages I was hooked! Mo's loss and quest for revenge paired with her growing (and often confusing) feelings...more
Joy (joyous reads)
Two guys. Two worlds. Two destinies. One Choice.

Yikes. I know right? The love triangle alarm is blaring in my ears. I should've really ran for the hills. Let me be honest and say I didn't see that blurb when I started reading. Otherwise, Torn would've been thrown in a pile of maybe-never. I have an aversion to love triangle but for once, this book actually handled it in a way that didn't incite some self-inflicted eyes gouging.

This book was quite a pleasant surprise. In a way, it was reminiscen...more
Angela Fristoe
Okay, so from the blurb it sounds like the book is going to open with some action, right? Well it doesn't, because guess what? The first half of the blurb happens before the book even starts! Yeah, how exciting. I don't even care that this wonderful friend is dead, because I never even meet her.

This though, is the least of the problems I had with Torn. I'd like to start with something positive and I'm finding it hard. That's not to say the book was horrible. It wasn't. It was just okay. I receiv...more
Lee Nichols
Who doesn't love a character torn between two dangerous worlds and two risky guys? The only thing safe about this book is how good it is.

I can't decide who I think Mo should end up with. Probably Colin, but Luc may win me over. Two of my favorite romantic love interests this year!
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Murder, magic, and the Mob. That’s TORN in a nutshell. Well if you add in one of the better love triangle I’ve read this year with two very different, but equally appealing guys, and a hidden magical world that lies at the brink of destruction.

I have no comment on the cover, but the title of TORN is perfect. Maura “Mo” Fitzgerald is torn. Torn between her incarcerated father and the uncle who stepped in to take care of her and her mother. Torn between t...more
Inez Ruiz
Not reading Torn by Erica O'Rourke is the biggest mistake of your life and it was almost mine.During my senior year of high school i found the Torn giveaway on goodreads. Can you believe i almost didn't enter the contest.I didn't like the main character name but for some reason or another i submitted my information anyway.Looking back i'm glad that i did and i'm kinda embarrassed because i love Mo.She is my favorite character and she will be your too.She tops Bella and dare i say any other femal...more
The first start-to-finish fabulous book I have read this year -- every moment rang true. Delicious heros, chilling villains, and a main character who is relatable, loveable, and admirable. This book is beautifully written and action-packed -- executing both those elements flawlessly is an amazing achievement. WOW!!!
Wart Hill
Actual rating: 2.5

Overall, it wasn't anything to write home about, but it wasn't terrible either. I liked the plot, Mo has to take the place of her best friend in saving the world, despite not having any magic. It was interesting to look at Mo trying to figure out what to do and what had happened while learning that she didn't know as much about Verity as she always thought.

I liked the magic. I felt like it could have been better developed - especially the different factions. But as we were in M...more
Stacey Pagan
I am under the impression that this novel will be a trilogy and I might be a “Thirty Something” but there is nothing like a great YA novel! A YA novel that has this thirty-something year old wanting MORE! I had never heard of Erica O’Rourke, but she is now on the top of my “to watch out for” list for certain!

Mo has been dealt a hand of cards that your average teenage girl would not normally be able to handle. Her daddy is in prison, her mother is a workaholic to keep a roof over Mo’s head and fo...more
Jami
I loved this book. Seriously. I haven't given many 5 star ratings to new, contemporary books, but this is one that really deserves it.

I'm not a huge fan of love triangle stories because it's so hard to show the two choices in a way that makes them both equally appealing. (If one's a clear winner over the other, the one who's debating looks stupid. And even if they're both equally good, the chooser too often comes off as flighty.)

HOWEVER, the author did a great job here. She portrayed both men we...more
Jessica Saylor
Torn felt like a really long read for me. It is really strange though, because it isn't in a bad way. It feels like every once in a while I would tune into someone else's life, and the whole story took place over several days. Confusing? Probably.

The characters, while fun, felt a little generic to me. I really like a lot of brooding and depth to my male characters, especially in a triangle, and I didn't get that. And truthfully, I didn't see what was so special about Mo that made these two guys...more
Katelyn *Constantly-Dreaming*
'Two guys. Two worlds. Two destinies... One choice.'
-- let's be real, it had me at 'Two guys.'

In the very first page of this book, we find Mo in the hospital, having barely survived an attack that took the life of her best friend in the entire world, Verity. Remembering only pieces of the evening, she sets out to avenge Verity's death, and finds herself thrown into a world she never knew existed. One that even her best friend was keeping secret from her.

I felt bad for Mo in the beginning - bei...more
Nerissa
Maura “Mo” Fitzgerald has just gone through what could be considered the worse day of her life, she just witnessed her best friend, Verity’s murder and finds herself laying in a hospital bed. Her life will never be the same again. Mo has been surrounding by secrets her entire life; she just didn’t realize it until now. Her world begins to fall apart as the one constant she knows has been violently ripped away from her. Mo struggles with dealing with her best friend’s death, wanting to seek reven...more
Barbara
Amazing story! I was drawn to this book by her eyes on the cover. The main character, Mo, is a "normal" girl living in Chicago and attending Catholic school. Her family is involved in the mob, although that does not have too much effect on her life (in the beginning of the story). I like that she is not a total outcast/ underdog like the protagonist in many paranormal series.. I also like that she is self-reliant and resourceful on her own (no magic, no guy).
It is the typical pattern of magical...more
Chrystal Grcevich
Mar 24, 2012 Chrystal Grcevich rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a good novel to keep them occupied for an afternoon
Recommended to Chrystal by: Won the sequel on Goodreads
This book was great! Sure, the plot is predictable in places, it's a light read, the scenario is unlikely (nerdy girl gets two hot guys??), but I find it so refreshing to have these things once in awhile. The purpose of a fantasy book is to be fun and extreme. I like the concept! Why not make it grandiose? Kudos to the author for taking the road less followed. I love to read about the not-so-likely heroes and heroines because it brings the impossible down a notch or two. Maura is a good girl who...more
L.j. Duett
First, about the Cover.

I liked it. The girl's bangs are a bit weird but I feel as if I'm looking at an actual person, someone with character rather than just the same girl thats on every other single YA book out there. This image sticks out.

Also, Torn's plot held such promise. Instead of taking the usual YA book formula and creating the main character with all the power/ability/destiny, O'Rourke went and killed that person off. No joke, the one with the destiny was dead from the start of this...more
Nancy
I'd not read or heard of Erica O'Rourke before reading this book but she is an excellent writer. The book begins with Maura, or Mo in the hospital after an attack she can't describe. She was with her best friend, Verity, when they were attacked and Verity was killed. Turns out, Verity had some magical secrets and a fateful place in the world of magic.

Maura's family has deep roots in the mob. Because of this attack, it appears that someone is trying to reach Uncle Billy via Mo. He stations a body...more
Reading Vacation
Mo and Verity had been best friends for years. They shared everything, or so Mo believed. After Verity is murdered, her secrets come out and there is magic involved. Evil magic. It doesn’t stop there. When Mo seeks revenge for Verity’s murder, Verity’s secret becomes her own. If you are thinking wow, you are right, WOW!

Torn’s take on magic is that it is centered on the four elements – fire, water, earth, and air. I love how the magic is tied to nature. This magic is powerful and very unstable; j...more
Cathy
Dorian
The first 100 pages or so into this book, I genuinely liked it. I found it getting a bit crazier nearing the end of the book though. Like many others, I found the world very confusing and hard to relate to. Mo was a pretty enjoyable character, but she did seem very pathetic at times. She would rant on and on about how she was nothing compared to Verity. I didn't really understand how she basically become the replacement vessel either. The love triangle seemed very forced. I definetly could see t...more
Kathriona
Als "Weg in die Dunkelheit" erwies sich für mich leider die Lektüre dieses Buchs: extrem naiver Hauptcharakter, unglaubwürdige Liebesgeschichte(n), zu viele Fantasy-Klischees, öfters unpassende Wortwahl und mein Liebling, der mehr als perfekte Luc ;-)
Aber dadurch, dass Bou das Buch zum Kommentieren hat herumgehen lassen hatte ich trotzdem ganz viel Spaß beim Lesen (und war ehrlich gesagt auch vielleicht etwas kritischer als sonst) :-)
Eine richtige Rezension folgt hoffentlich noch in den nächst...more
Paranormal Affair
This book has been on my reading list for quite some time so I was happy to receive it as a gift from a friend. Its packed with hot men, tons of paranormal fun and a LOT of mystery.

I would give this book more like 3.5 stars. It wasn’t quite GREAT but it wasn’t just OK, it was definitely good. It had the makings of something amazing, your typical two extremely attractive men fighting over one ordinary girl paranormal story but it needed a bit more. I felt the build up took a little too long but t...more
Cecilyn
This was a good read. The main character was kind of quiet ("mousy"), but equally determined and loyal. The story-line had good interaction between a few of the characters (Luc, Mo, and Colin mostly) and it added a lot to my enjoyment of the book. There was also a little bit of heat between Mo and the two guys, which is always appreciated. Seeing Mo's decisions and settling into the type of person she wanted to be was also enjoyable. I'm looking forward to reading the next one!
Felaróf
Die junge Maura, meistens Mo genannt, führt ein nicht allzu normales Leben: Der Vater sitzt im Gefängnis und der Onkel ist ein bekannter Mafiaboss. Alldem kann sie dank ihrer besten Freundin Verity entfliehen, doch als diese von seltsamen Kreaturen getötet wird, muss Mo entsetzt feststellen, dass selbst ihre engste Vertraute ihre gegenüber so einiges geheim hielt. Da sie Veritys Tod nicht einfach so hinnehmen möchte, beginnt die Schülerin selbst zu recherchieren und stößt dabei nicht nur auf ein...more
Rachel Blom
Another book about a girl who discovers there's a magical world out there she knew nothing about. When Mo's best friend Verity is murdered by strange creatures, she can't let go, no matter how much pressure people put on her to do just that. With the help of mysterious Luc, she discovers Verity had a life she knew nothing about, a life filled with magic. Then there's Colin, sent to protect her. Well, the usual love triangle develops, nothing new there.

I liked the book well enough, but it had so...more
Melanie
I enjoyed this, but found it didn't warrant 4 stars.

The writing is fine, though I found some of the author's word choices distracting. It sometimes felt like she had used a thesaurus to pick an obscure word for a rather mundane thing. I have a pretty decent vocabulary, but found myself grateful to be reading it on a Kindle, where I can just tap the word and find out the meaning. Not that it happened all the time, but I did find it distracting.

The plot is interesting, though not amazing. The auth...more
Brigid
Fantastic book. Not your typical love triangle at all, the guys were insanely hot, and even at the end of the book, I still can't decide who Mo should end up with. Great read. I flew through the whole thing in 24 hours, and with a full time job and a preschooler, that's saying something.

Definitely pick this one up.
Lora
May 25, 2011 Lora marked it as maybe
Shelves: g-ya-paranorm
This sounds interesting except for the love triangle. *annoyance*
Has anyone read this series? 3 9 Jul 19, 2014 10:29PM
Colin or Luc? 8 10 Oct 30, 2012 05:48PM
Luc or Colin? 7 33 Dec 18, 2011 02:37PM
  • Bloodspell (Bloodspell, #1)
  • Airborne (Airborne Saga, #1)
  • Ember (Ember, #1)
  • Undead (Ever After Trilogy, #1)
  • Flying Blind (The Dragon Diaries, #1)
  • Abithica
  • Dark Angel (Dark Angel, #1)
  • Breath of Angel (The Angelaeon Circle, #1)
  • Once Every Never (Never, #1)
  • The Ylem (The Ylem Trilogy, #1)
  • Surrender  (Haunting Emma, #3)
  • Lightbringer (Lightbringer, #1)
  • Love Struck
  • The Mumbo Jumbo Circus (Mumbo Jumbo Circus, #1)
  • Breaking Point (The Order of the Elements #1)
  • Beautifully Broken (Spellbound #1)
  • Luminescence (Luminescence, #1)
  • Angel's Fury
I write books about girls who make their own fate and fall for boys they shouldn't.

I live outside Chicago. I like to travel but I'll never really leave this city.

I prefer cookies to cake (even cupcakes), television to movies, and autumn to all the other seasons.

I like sushi, naps, coffee, and driving stick shift.

I hate fish, emoticons, bridges, and talking about myself.

Click here for more about...more
More about Erica O'Rourke...
Tangled (Torn Trilogy, #2) Dissonance (Dissonance, #1) Bound (Torn Trilogy, #3) Harmonic (Dissonance, #1.5) Resonance (Dissonance #2)

“People spot a big black lens, and they worry about what they're doing, or how their hair looks. Nobody see the person holding the camera.” 105 likes
“Justice is about making them pay for [her] pain. Revenge is making them pay for yours.” 43 likes