Start by marking “Viikatemies” as Want to Read:
Viikatemies

Viikatemies (Discworld #11)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  47,617 ratings  ·  1,204 reviews
Viikatemies jatkaa Kiekkomaailman velmua kronikkaa: se kertoo mikä kaaos syntyy, kun Kuolema saa potkut työstään. Hän siirtyy viettämään eläkepäiviään maaseudulle, ja pätevän seuraajan puuttuessa vainajat jäävät vaeltamaan elävien parissa.

Näkymättömän Yliopiston taikurikuntakaan ei osaa selvittää tilannetta, sillä yhteydet tuonpuoleiseen ovat tilapäisesti katkolla… Miten o
Published 1996 by Karisto Oy (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Viikatemies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Viikatemies

Anthony Eaton
How can you not like Death?

HOW, INDEED?

I'm sorry, did someone say something?

NEVER MIND. I'LL ONLY BE HERE A MOMENT.

Oh, okay then. Anyway, as I was...erk...
Jennie
Probably my favorite of all of the Discworld novels (and that's a hard choice, given my total love of the series). Of all of Pratchett's many quirky characters, I think I love Death the best, though I couldn't begin to tell you why. In this installment, Death gets fired and has to get a day job. In typical Discworld fashion, not everything goes according to plan.

Don't pay attention to the critics' quotes on the front of the book. Anyone who compares Pratchett to Tolkien or Douglas Adams hasn't a
La Mala
Apr 20, 2015 La Mala marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Mi hermano me dice que, como fue mi cumpleaños, tiene pensado regalarme libros.
-¡Si!- digo yo, saltando en una pata.
-Haceme una lista de que autores te gustan.
Le hago una lista de casi 20 autores, le marco las prioridades, le anoto los títulos que ya tengo de cada uno y, además, le hago una lista extra de autores , en caso de que, por alguna razón, no hubiera ninguno de los que le marqué en un principio, esos otros funcionarían como opciones "aceptables".

(Era una lista de tres hojas)

Hoy, dos día
Aaron
May 16, 2007 Aaron rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
If I could steal credit for a book and claim it as my own, Reaper Man would most likely be it. This is the point, I think, where the Discworld novels stopped being entertaining light reading, and really became literature. It's a very subtle shift from the little parodies of science fiction and fantasy conventions of things like The Light Fantastic to the rich satire of a book like Jingo. Behind the story of Death being fired for having developed a personality, there's a clever little parable abo ...more
Melki
...it's just that life is a habit that's hard to break...

With Death off gallivanting around, Discworld residents discover that eternal life ain't all it's cracked up to be. Others just want those dead people to GO AWAY ALREADY!

Perhaps a support group is in order?

This entry in the series has EVERYTHING - action, adventure, thrills, chills, and romance, in addition to the usual amount of rampant silliness one has come to expect from Pratchett, who manages to prove once and for all that WORDS CAN H
Tfitoby
Just finished this whilst running and all the wonderful insightful thoughts I'd had about it over the past few weeks escape me as I sit exhausted yet happy. Reaper Man is the second novel that focuses on Death. This time he has been shorn of his anthropomorphic designation and sentenced to a short life on the Disc as punishment for becoming too individual. Those pesky Auditors make their Discworld debut (as do a whole raft of wonderfully fun creations including many new species in Reg Shoe's Fre ...more
Kaethe
1/1/2002 Is there anyone who doesn't love Death? He's one of the greatest characters ever. *** Some days a book on the shelf just happens to catch your eye as you walk past, and you think, "Yes! That is exactly what I want to read today!" So you do. And Death takes a (working) holiday, and life is bursting out all over, and the plot is silly, and the characters are so engaging, and you've read it before, so you know what to expect. And it doesn't matter that I didn't read it in anything like pro ...more
Chris
Chris' first Pratchett? Yes. (Awwwwwwwww ... how sweet)

At the urging of quite a few friends both on and off of GR's, I finally got around to reading my very first Terry Pratchett Discworld novel. I am happy to report that it was a great experience.

All the rumors are true: Pratchett is witty, quick and has excellent timing. I found myself laughing about some of the scenes in this novel well after I had read them, sometimes in public, and sometimes drawing a few curious stares from passers by*.

Thi
Hosker
Callista
⊱ Irena ⊰
4.5
'Inside Every Living Person is a Dead Person Waiting to Get Out...'
Death is one of my favourite Discworld characters and Reaper Man is the second book in the Death novels. I prefer reading in general Discworld reading order though. Still, whether you read these books like I do, or you choose to read them as separate novels about Rincewind, or Death, or witches and so on, you will have lots of fun.

Death gets fired. Or something like that anyway. Instead of mopping around feeling sorry for
Cora Tea Party Princess
He's done it again.

My favourite of all of the Discworld novels.

Death is a fascinating character, and seeing his strain of humanity just makes him all the more so.

Reaper Man is HILARIOUS. Death is so awkward, so unsure of himself in the realm of the living. And when your time is running out, you want to experience everything life has to offer. And when you've never lived, maybe the basics ARE the most important parts of life.
Helen
“No one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away—until the clock wound up winds down, until the wine she made has finished its ferment, until the crop they planted is harvested. The span of someone’s life is only the core of their actual existence.”

— Terry Pratchett (1948-2015).

Thank you, Mr. Pratchett. God speed.
Lee Broderick
Re-read 3/5/13: A lot of people seem to think that this is a book about what happens when Death takes a holiday. To a certain extent it is. The premise is simple: if you believe in a psychopomp then what would happen if they were no longer there? That though, is just the opening gambit - the framework within which to explore something more fundamental - time.

At the heart of this book is a tale of two people (or personalities, as Terry Pratchett would no doubt refer to them). One person has too m
Marion Freeman
Upon hearing the tragic news today, I have realized I have not added this book or written a review of it, and I feel truly bad about that.

If someone were to ask me which of Terry Pratchett's book is my favorite, I wouldn't hesitate. All of his books are works of art, but among them, this one stands out like a true masterpiece to me. I think this is the first book he wrote that has actually made me cry both in laughter and in sadness. It is the only one of his books that I have re-read so many ti
Nancy
Jun 29, 2010 Nancy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves fantasy with some wisdom thrown in.
Recommended to Nancy by: Laura
Shelves: fantasy
Terry Pratchett is funny. Terry Pratchett is a philosopher. Terry Pratchett is a delight and the trouble with Terry Pratchett is you should read his books more than once.
Terry Pratchett is maddening. I'm not at all sure I got everything he was saying. There are double meanings everywhere and to read this book is to want to start over and read it again.

If anyone asks about what Pratchett's book is about, just hand it over. He is very hard to explain. If you want to add quotes, it is nearly imp
Stephanie Swint
'Reaper Man’ is the first book I have read by Terry Pratchett. Yes, I know I am very late to the party and I am reading it out-of-order. I am even reading Death’s story out-of-order. I was looking for a Halloween book, and this was recommended by a Pratchett fan, and I have it on her good authority that I will not burst into flames by reading it as a stand alone. This book is brimming with the undead, zombies, werewolves, vampires, bogeyman, and of course Death himself. This has all required vil ...more
José Batista
Reseña en español: Click acá

This is book #2 of the Death series one of my favourites characters of Discworld. On this one Azrael, Death's boss, becomes aware that Discworld's Death is developing a personality so he decides to make him mortal because he wasn't doing his job right. Now under the identity of Bill Door, Death finds a job as a farmer and he start enjoying the pleasures of being alive.
Meanwhile, in the city of Ankh-Morpork, weird things start to happen since there's a large amount of
Jon
Probably a 3.5 stars, but I'm feeling generous today.

I enjoyed the humor and the silliness churned out by Terry Pratchett in this Discworld novel. I also liked the philosophical wonderings of Death that resulted in a kinder, gentler Grim Reaper.
Stacia
Love all of Pratchett's work, but this one is in the top three (of his) for me. Have to rank it right up there with my other favorites of his (The Wee Free Men; Hogfather).
Nicolás Pinto
"Nadie ha muerto del todo hasta que mueren las ondulaciones que ha provocado en este mundo: hasta que se para el reloj al que dio cuerda, hasta que fermenta el vino que preparó, hasta que se recoge la cosecha que plantó."

:')

Brindo por vos, Sir Terry.

Un libro maravilloso por dónde se lo mire y, como siempre digo, habría que crear una puntuación única para los libros del autor. Qué genio.

"Los vivos eran los que no se daban cuenta de que sucedían cosas extrañas y maravillosas, porque la vida estaba
Наталия Янева
Какво се получава, когато Смърт изведнъж се сдобие с време (той няма Време – или пък има всичкото време в, нека го кажа пратчетски, мултивселената – винаги е въпрос на гледна точка)? Ами налага се да умре. А какво става, когато Смърт принудително си вземе отпуск от... задълженията си? Животът живва, така да се каже – повече от обикновеното, де. Умрелите също не се държат съвсем обичайно. Най-меко казано. Всъщност напълно отказват да бъдат умрели (не че проявяват инат, просто не могат да си умрат ...more
Chris
So. What are your thoughts on death?

Or rather, Death?

It's a weird thing, death. I mean, you're here one minute and then you're... not. And while we all know intellectually that we're going to die, there's something in us that refuses to believe that the essential Person that we are could possibly cease to exist. We have personalities, unique aggregations of memory and experience and inborn preferences that all display themselves as a Person, as far as we know unique in all the world. Each human
TheBookSmugglers
Original review posted on The Book Smugglers

Reaper Man is a book that I find really hard to define. It would be so easy to simply describe it as a hilarious – or even absurdist – romp about the chaos that ensues after Death is (forcibly) retired without an immediate replacement to take over his duties. There are wizards running around, there are snow globes that pop out of nowhere then hatch into EVIL shopping trolleys (!!), a bunch of previously-undead people (including a vampire and a boogeyma
Matt
"But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you." - Psalm 39, verse 7

"LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN" - Death, 'Reaper Man' by Terry Pratchett

Now is the season of being snowed in and unable to take hikes or paddle down streams. Now is the season of drinking tea on a couch and trying to keep the mind from hibernating, while at the same time, not necessarily forcing it to wake up. Hense, Terry Pratchett. As part of my usual winter reading and rereading
Matt
DEATH is not only the main character of "Reaper Man", he becomes a humorous metaphorical concept in the hands of Terry Pratchett when imagining if the Grim Reaper got replaced and the consequence to the Disc. Pratchett is at his comical and narrative best, further developing previously established characters and introducing memorable new ones.

The Auditors, which I first learned about watching The Hogfather miniseries, make their first appearance in the Discworld novels and target DEATH because h
Larou
I have mentioned my ambivalent feelings regarding Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series before, and that I still enjoy them, if not quite as enthusiastically as most. Reaper Man, the eleventh volume, is the book in the series I have enjoyed the most so far. I suspect that this is due to two reasons… well, one reason I suspect, with the other I am quite certain.

The first one is that Reaper Man does not have any clear satiric aim – I know that Pratchett is often praised precisely for this satirical i
Teri
What if Death took a vacation? Well, that was Pratchett's last book in his "Death" series, Mort, but Reaper Man picks up the story of Death when the keepers of the continuum (known as the Auditors of Reality) decide that Death isn't quite grim enough to be the Grim Reaper, and is therefore flawed and must be done away with. Death notices his own hourglass running low and running out of something he thought he'd never have a problem with: time. And he's going to spend it.

With Death enjoying his f
Meghan
For some reason this just wasn't my favorite.

I love the characterization of Death here. Every part of his story was a joy.

But I just am not that enamored with the wizards, and found their portion of the story much less interesting. And that was a substantial bit. I also can't conclusively say that I know how their portion relates to the death portion (although.. I think maybe? But not definitively.)

There weren't nearly as many hilarious one-liners, either, and that was a bit disappointing. I sti
Fede
A nice book indeed, it was really interesting to read Death's adventure and his unusual -but so true at the same time- point of view about life and human beings . He was one of my favorite characters in this one, along with Windle Poons.
Funny and clever as always, it was really a page turner.
Can Reaper Man be my first Discworld novel? 21 172 Dec 24, 2014 10:47PM
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • The Better Mousetrap (J. W. Wells & Co., #5)
  • Legends
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • Better than Life
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • Krew elfów (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1) Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch #6)

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.” 1956 likes
“Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.” 1846 likes