Start by marking “Bound (Kria, #2)” as Want to Read:
Bound (Kria, #2)

Bound (Kria #2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  712 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Ingolf von Dirchs is all that remains of the royal house of Kria. The bastard son of the dead Kaiser, he barely escapes the winter palace before it is overtaken by the armies of Salhara, Kria's oldest and bitterest enemy. In a last desperate attempt to combat Salhara's deadly magic, Ingolf flees to the country of Illussor, there to steal the sword of a man who once betraye ...more
Published September 21st 2010 by Less Than Three Press (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bound

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingMagic's Pawn by Mercedes LackeyStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingTraitor's Moon by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by C.S. Pacat
Best Fantasy Books with Gay Main Characters
57th out of 601 books — 1,431 voters
Captive Prince by C.S. PacatLuck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingTruth in the Dark by Amy Lane
Best Gay Fantasy Romance
46th out of 489 books — 934 voters

More lists with this book...

Justacat
Mar 02, 2011 Justacat rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I've been struggling with my feelings about this book. I found a large portion of it captivating, engaging, and thoroughly enjoyable. I finished it not loving it as much as I might have, or as much as I thought I would while I was reading, because the ending/culmination of the story didn't live up to the higher standard of what came before - but I still enjoyed it greatly and recommend it, and would probably give it a 4.5.

I normally don't bother to summarize plot, but in this case the blurb is w
Jenre
Jun 03, 2013 Jenre rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
I've been so busy recently that I'm barely having time to read anything but this book has been one I've had on the go, dipping in and out of when I get a spare half hour. It's been pretty perfect for that style of reading because it follows the fortunes of four men over a period of several months. The narrative is split between them and so it was easy to leave the book at the end of one chapter and pick up what was happening in the next, even after a gap.

This is a sort of follow on from Prisoner
Valentina Heart
Mar 12, 2011 Valentina Heart rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I really loved revisiting the Prisoner world, and while the book touched those bits of past, it is still a very unique creation. The cross-overs between the stories of different characters ran smoothly and for once I really had no trouble following them. Every single man had so much to tell and the events never once lacked in intensity and intrigue.

In a lot of aspects I loved this book even more than I did first. The princes were very dear to me and their relationship something that kept me inte
M'rella
I am not going to go into editing issues much. Plenty of people have done it. Normally I don't mind an error/typo here and there, but in this case the amount of errors was massive.

The story was great and was worth 5 stars up until Aden and Reinhoel (how do you pronounce it? O.o) left the Eis (Ice) Fortress to join the rest of Kria's army.

From that moment on it was too predictable, too easy, too (weirdly) angst free.
Even though there was indeed some tension, I knew it was bound to solve itself
Edina Rose
Apr 12, 2012 Edina Rose rated it liked it
This is the sequel of Prisoner. I loved Prisoner, I was enthralled by his 4 main characters, Dieter and Beraht, and Sol and Iah.

Bound takes place many generations later and some of the main characters are descendants of the four main characters of Prisoner.

It is an ambitious book, with a complex political intrigue and many parallel love stories. The political and war stuff in all its imperfection was entertaining. The love stories were nice too. The character were ok, but none of them came clo
Susan
Jan 02, 2013 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this two stars, but it is better than Prisoner and I felt I should take that into account.

The quotes at each part did not make me roll my eyes, this time round. They were, for a while, a sweetening touch that cast Prisoner in a very positive light. I had to remind myself it was bad. I think the main factor in this was that the quotes were connected to people, who had history and opinions and positions, as opposed to proverbs, which must very quickly sound clever or be swiftly dismis
Paul
Dec 13, 2015 Paul rated it liked it
3.5 STARS
This series so far as in book 1 & 2 are set generations apart, although both stories were good t's not for me, I was looking for a fantasy series
Ingrid
Jun 01, 2011 Ingrid rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
I was so happy that I noticed the sequel was already out! I really loved the first book and I was happy to return to this world again. This time we follow two couples as they work their way through battles and intrigues to unite three countries. It was a very good read with a satisfactory amount of pages, over 400. Which is rare in the m/m world. This book reads more like a mainstream fantasy novel with a gay theme, although I mus say that this book was more romantic (more m/m and less gay ficti ...more
Namja
Jan 23, 2016 Namja rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, reviewed
This is one of Megan Derr's better books, if not the best, though I haven't read everything yet. It has the expected cheesiness of all her works - this is not a bad thing, I like her cheesiness, it's comfy, and it's kind of a trademark at that point, I'd miss it dearly if it disappeared - but without the over-the-top ridiculousness of Prisoner (still not over the laughing villain), just the good sides.

The story is epic, the characters colourful and diverse - especially Erich who's different fro
Kris
Jun 04, 2012 Kris rated it liked it
A 3-4 star read. Swapping will probably occur. I'm Libran. That is all.

This second book in the series captured my attention unlike the first. I enjoyed the mix of story lines and the characters, which I'll have more to say about in the joint review with Orannia. Maybe. Godamnedit.

*sigh*

Also, I was most annoyed when my iPad battery went dead and interrupted my reading. It's very lucky I had Lego to play with otherwise I would have thrown the fucker at the wall. The end.
Mandi
Apr 03, 2011 Mandi rated it it was amazing
This story was totally engrossing from start to finish. It was great being in the 'Prisoner' world again (though many, many years after the original characters passed away). The only thing I'd love to have read was more of the characters interacting after the war. But really, that's a tiny little niggle. I loved everything in this book!

Deeze
Nov 11, 2014 Deeze rated it it was amazing
Despite my sometimes getting characters mixed up and places confused I thoroughly enjoyed this tale.

Set quite a few years after book one means we do not get to see Dieter or Beraht again, although they do live on in the life of Erich.

This is a long and detailed story with plenty of love amongst the fighting and politics. We watch more than 2 men fall in love in this story, and we are left watching with baited breath as they survive to fight another day.

I did find the last big battle slightly di
Muschelmagier
Apr 24, 2016 Muschelmagier rated it it was amazing
Newcastle
Aug 28, 2015 Newcastle rated it liked it
Liked it a whole lot less than the first book, especially towards the end, because the book was simply too long.
Apparently the book didn't get edited beyond the first or second draft anyway since there were so many spelling and grammar mistakes that couldn't have been overlooked otherwise. Really took my enjoyment down a notch.

Also why is magic so despised in this world? They never give a concrete reason besides it being "cowardly". I somewhat get the hate for Arcen, but I wish the author had el
T Silver
Apr 27, 2016 T Silver rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-fantasy
Amazing. Megan Derr certainly has a gift for creating worlds. This book was even better world-wise than Prisioner, but I confess that I missed the stoicism. Dieter was nothing if a complete emotionless wall.
I loved Erich and Ingor's story. The connection between them happened so fast, but it felt so real. I liked Pancraz and Vester's relationship, they were never the reveling type. I also liked Aden and Renoehl, however, parts of their relationship felt too fiction for my taste. Ironic isn't it
quesalganlosdragones
Apr 29, 2016 quesalganlosdragones marked it as to-read
i enjoyed the first book (albeit with some reservations) and plan to read this but some proof-reading would seriously be appreciated. There were many minor editing issues in the last book and I just read the preview for this and it had two that just take you out of the story (past participle instead of a noun, present non third person where there should be past (third)). I have read so many self-pub that have less errors in 100 pages, if you are going to ask for $7 dollars for the book, please g ...more
Serehtt
Sep 12, 2014 Serehtt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: genre-fantasy
This is set several generations after Prisoner, though both Beraht and Dieter are still extremely well known. And I loved that fact, because those two are the best. This book was so good, so intense and exciting and I could not put it down.

Aden and Reinoehl were my favorites, but I also liked the little love story of two minor characters (view spoiler). Erich and Ingolf ... I liked them, I did. (view spoiler)
Qi
Mar 13, 2012 Qi rated it liked it
First of all, read some of the other comments for a more adequate plot summary. This is a perfect example of high fantasy and it's done really well. I like the little details that went into the world-building.

Unfortunately, I realized halfway through that I don't think I like high fantasy much (whoops?). That aside, everything worked out too perfectly at the end; that's fine for sweet love stories, but not really for drawn out, convoluted, intricate political and military situations. The Illusor
Caroline Cairn
To be honest, I would have liked to give this book 4.5 stars. Because of a few things : some scenes were too fluffy sweet, the battle scenes were non existent or gone in a flash, and the characters were annoyingly flawless. But Bound STILL deserved 4.5 stars, because of everything else.
The storyline was engaging, the writing fluid and intelligent, the characters lovable and I simply wasn't looking forward to finishing reading. The best scenes were the emotional ones, Megan Derr really does have
T.T. Kove
May 20, 2011 T.T. Kove rated it it was amazing
Shelves: genre-fantasy

Ravyn
Very much enjoyed this monster of a novel. In fact, it's probably my new favorite from Megan Derr. (It's even better than the "prequel" story, Prisoner, IMHO.)

Could have potentially been a 5-star read for me (super rare, let me tell you), but two things kept it from making the cut:
1) rushed ending with waaay too easy resolutions. (See Justacat's review for some examples.)
2) tons of editing mishaps (minor misspellings, a bazillion dropped words, and a couple instances of switched names). Sorry
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Jul 24, 2012 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Like the first book in the series, Prisoner, the world building is very well done and fascinating. It takes place a few generations after the events of the first book.

The magic-addict Salharans have invaded the warrior kingdom of Kria. Ingolf, who finds himself the only survivor of the Royal family, is the bastard son of the king, brought up to lead an army. He knows that the sword of the Betrayer can resist Salharan magic and he steals it. Erich, the crown prince of the neutral Illuss
Ayanna
Sep 04, 2012 Ayanna rated it really liked it
The world Derr creates is fascinating. This book is a lot...heavier than the first one was. For one thing, it involves all three countries and a near-genocide on Salhara (so it would appear). And then there was so much killing...

Well, it's heavier fare to begin with because it's not a strict romance. It's more fantasy with gay main characters, as opposed to gay fantasy romance. The romance isn't the main aspect, so there isn't a whole lot of exploration into it.

This doesn't really mean much exce
Jeis
Jul 23, 2013 Jeis rated it it was amazing
To be honest, in the beginning Ingolf presented not very appealing image – obnoxious, hot-tempered, short-sighted, impulsive, helpless, not very smart and not willing to listen, prone to wallowing in self-pity instead of planning how to solve his problems. It was quite tiresome, actually. There was almost nothing appealing about him except the situation he found himself in, and it doesn’t’ say much about the man if he is pitied only because of his troubles. Some of that can be said about Reinoeh ...more
Matthew
Apr 07, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I really enjoy how Megan Derr builds relationships and I think she did a great job of that in this book.

I rather enjoyed the kids who were present and thought they were well written.

A lot of the book was a bit predictable and either glossed over or dragging on too much. This book could have been 50 pages shorter with the same story, just less unnecessary details. The introduction of Aden was great, as was the introduction of the the Erich/Ingolf relationship. I just didn't need as much war and
Aelfwina
Mar 12, 2016 Aelfwina rated it did not like it
Shelves: mm, fantasy-scifi
The reviews all said this was better than the first one. Well, it was not. The writing felt like the first fn fiction attempt (had phrases like "messenger delivered a message" and "only outcome of this outcome"), it was way (way) longer than it should have been, the plot was meanderingily predictable, and all the many (many) male characters (all of whom were gay, by the way) came through without a scratch.
Talya Andor
Aug 09, 2013 Talya Andor rated it it was amazing
Excellent fantasy, I put off starting this because I knew once I picked it up I wouldn't be able to put it down, and that was indeed the case. There were a few lingering questions for me about Erich's lineage (I couldn't figure out if he was adopted into the line or a genuine descendant) but the story was compelling enough I could put that aside. As much as I enjoyed Prisoner, I enjoyed this even more, maybe because Ingolf and Erich were more approachable and easier to sympathize with? Their obs ...more
Mercedes
Mar 17, 2015 Mercedes rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance, fantasy
So damned long! I usually don't mind that but I reached a point where I just wanted to be done with it. Good story and there are enough plotlines to keep you going. I guess I had just reached my personal limit.
Miriki
This is a sequel to Prisoner (like many generations later). Although I like both books, this one is much, much better - the romance in "Prisoner"doesn't work very well (but still good), besides this is the hottest book by Megan Derr I've read :">. I love all the characters especially Aden & Rein. <3

There is a character from The Bastard Prince making an appearance at the end. Set in the same world, and also a very good book.
Lady*M
Jun 10, 2011 Lady*M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy and romance fance
Shelves: fantasy, m-m-romance

I liked the first book, but I enjoyed this one even more. The characters were great, especially Aden and Reinoehl. I wanted more romance (and sex) in the previous book and I wasn't disappointed. Again, some things were too easily resolved which prevented me from giving this book all 5 stars. But, I love the world building and this author's imagination. I'll certainly read more books by Megan Derr.
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 2 (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Crescendo (Song of the Fallen, #2)
  • Beloved Son (Aisling, #3)
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • Battle of Will
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
  • The Lodestar of Ys
  • Azure Seas & Dragon Isles
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com
More about Megan Derr...

Kria (6 books)
  • Prisoner (Kria, #1)
  • The Bastard Prince (Kria, #3)
  • Devotion
  • Of the Forest
  • The Krian

“Nothing is more interesting than doing what you should not.” 26 likes
“If you continue to tie me up, I might think you like me. Stop doing it.” 8 likes