The Beach House

The Beach House

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Beautiful model and actor Mason Adams rents a beach house for the summer in a seaside town to get away from his fast-paced, partying lifestyle in Los Angeles. After Mason nearly died from a drug overdose and served time in rehab, his agent is convinced the quiet life is the perfect way to get Mason’s life and career back on track.

Mason, however, isn’t sure the sedate life...more
Published October 3rd 2010 by Amber Quill Press

To ask other readers questions about The Beach House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beach House

Daisiemae
The Beach House by Shawn Lane was a deeply moving, sexy book about two men, who probably under normal circumstances would never find their way to each other.

Mason is a well sought out model that has just come out of rehab. Since the model industry has a reputation of being attached with drugs and booze, he is taken by his friend and agent to stay at a beach house in Morro Bay, so he can continue his recovery.
Bored and alone, Mason fills his time running on the beach and exploring his new tempor...more
Shayne
The Beach House is Fabulous! Jack and I have been anxiously waiting its release for WEEKS! So you can imagine our complete happiness when we finally got to read it.
Mason is one of my favorite heroes. That says a lot because we all know that I'm crazy about Kevin from Car Wash (He'll always be my ultimate favorite) but there is something very sweet and humanly flawed about Mason that made me adore him. He's recovering from substance abuse and has been told to stay in this gorgeous beach house in...more
Chris
Sweet, good m/m romance about a model who overdosed and was sent to rehab. Post-rehab, his agent rents him a quiet house on the beach for the summer, to get him away from bad influences and help him figure out how to have a more normal life.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Mason, a model and small time actor had a scary drug overdose, so his agent has set him up in a house out of the way, no Internet, TV, car....
His neighbor John is sexy and they hit it off, lots of sex and eventually love ensues, but Mason's career is waiting for him.
This is a quick, easy read, since it's pretty short so there isn't a lot of relationship development, or issues dealt with, none of Mason's thoughts of his drug use to any kind of follow up treatment, but it was cute and a nice 'snac...more
Cole Riann
If I were to rate this technically, I'd probably go for 2 stars, but I really liked Mason and John, so they get an extra star.

I liked that Mason was a difficult character to root for. I liked that about him, that he's really messed up doesn't have a lot of flattering qualities, except for his model beauty. But with influence of John, that slutty addict persona dropped out of the way and the motivation behind that lifestyle Mason was so much a part of was easy to see. He's very down-trodden in wa...more
ElaineY
Oct 07, 2010 ElaineY rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm
2.5 stars. What you read in the blurb is what you'll get. Nothing much more. A very weak offering from an auto-buy. I'm disappointed.
Leaundra
This was a sweet and spicy read. I loved John and Mason. They were so sweet together. They were perfect for each other!!
Alina
Loved this book!
Nice and tender love story and I almost teared up over the few angsty pages ))) Heartwarming story!
Lee Brazil
Aww.. Mason is such a sweetheart. I loved this story. :)
Monica
3 Stars

This was a short and sweet read about Mason, a model/actor who was sent to a beach house by his agent to continue his recovery from a drug overdose. While there Mason meets John, who owns a house next to his rental. John moved to the beach after a work injury forced him to retire from the fire department. John is now a successful author and spends his days writing and playing with his dog Mandy.

Although John is older than Mason, the two are immediately attracted to each other and strike u...more
Kendra
This was a pretty good book. I really enjoyed watching Mason realize that all could be well in his world. It was heartbreaking to see such a young, troubled kid and to know that it is realistic in the real world sucks. I still have some trepidation over the character of John. You can see he really cares about Mason but it seemed weird in the beginning and I felt like perhaps his feelings could have been better explored to give me an understanding of where he was coming from. It seemed like "yeah...more
Sadonna
May 02, 2012 Sadonna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm, pdf
Pretty good novella about Mason and John. Mason is a model/actor who is laying low in a beach rental secured by his agent after he has left rehab for the second time after a drug overdose. John is a firefighter turned author after an on-the-job injury to his leg. They just happen to be neighbors and both gay.

Although they jump into bed pretty quickly, the real heart of the story is the development of their relationship after they have already had sex. John recognizes Mason's vulnerability and g...more
Susan
Mason and John were a strange couple for me. Mason is recovering from a drugs overdose and, although he knows he's beautiful, has a very low sense of his own self-worth and John is still coming to terms with the big changes he has experienced in his life. The two men begin to become friends as well as lovers and I enjoyed this portion of the book. Mason finally had someone who cared about him and valued him for more than the services he could provide. Then, it seemed like a part of the story was...more
Wendy (wluvsbooks)
I found this story very enjoyable. I loved that John was able to see through to the real Mason and figure out his prior wounds and issues. He showed Mason what it really means to be a friend and lover you can count on. It wrenched my heart to hear John's plea for Mason to stay at the end of the summer and the difficulty of the decision Mason had to make. I'm glad they got their happy ending! My only critique would be about the rushed feeling throughout much of the book. I realize it was a novell...more
Karen
3.5 stars--This was a step up from the previous books I've read by Shawn Lane. They've all been short, although this one was a bit longer, and they've all been hot but with little emotion. For the first time, I actually felt something for the MCs. For me, Lane's writing still has a way to go because I'm looking for more than just erotic scenes. After this one however, I'm willing to try another one or two to see if they continue to get better. There's definitely potential.

Lily
Sweet story about a gorgeous model trying to get his life back together post-rehab and the man he falls for. I liked both of the protags and enjoyed reading their story. On the plus side the writing is solid and the characters are likable and interesting. On the down side it's feels a bit rushed and I would have liked to see a bit of their relationship after they finally come together.
Kelly
Nice and sweet, first love, uncertainty.
The dog Mandy is so cute. I think it would have been nice for her to have a bit more of a charactor.
The charactors blend well together, but I thought that there could have been a bit more background one the charactors.
All in all though a good read.
Kathleen
This was an enjoyable read, if really short. I would have liked to hear more about what went on in Mason's mind when he left or get to see some of the interaction between June and August. But even being so short, it still drew me in and made me care what happened to the characters. 3.5 stars.
Cindi
What a sweet story. Mason is a gorgeous model but he is so insecure. When he meets John he discovers that he is a beautiful person on the inside as well. I loved Mason. I loved John. A wonderful story.
melek
Mason out of rehab is told to recover in a beach house for a few months there he meet John and they hit it off and a love that is hard to stop...
Carly
I love both the characters. Marcus really broke my heart and I was very glad he found John.
Snowtulip
Apr 08, 2011 Snowtulip rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Peggy
Quick, sweet read, really enjoyed Mason and John.
MsMiz (Tina)
Lent by Kindle.

Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Lillian Francis
Lillian Francis marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
  • A Realistic Romance
  • Talk Dirty To Me
  • Second Sight
  • Beyond Reckless
  • Left of Centre
  • Letting In the Light
  • Pets, Book 1: Sparking
  • Roughstock: And a Smile- Season One (Roughstock, #3)
  • Precious Ache
  • Love, Jamie (Love, #1)
  • The Carpenter and the Fairy
  • Another Dream (Dream, #2)
Shawn Lane writes gay erotic romances. She is published with Amber Quill, Silver Publishing, Ellora's Cave and Dreamspinner Press. She lives in Southern California and the majority of her books are set in California.
More about Shawn Lane...
Car Wash (Car Wash, #1) At Long Last (Scott and Preston, #1) Perfect Man Trust Pulling Away (Pulling Away, #1)