True Love

True Love

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  858 ratings  ·  51 reviews
The beloved author of the modern classic book All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten now tackles life's most mysterious, joyous and most confusing topic -- love. An irresistible collection of real-life love stories, mixed with Robert Fulghum's own quirky insights and unmistakable homespun observations, True Love tells the many unpredictable tales of love. Here...more
Published January 7th 1998 by HarperTorch (first published 1997)

Esther Warnke oakes
This is a wonderful collections of love stories, even though most of the stories told are not love stories in the common use of the phrase. It's a feel good book with anecdotes on every aspect of love.
Jess Driscoll
page 4: People sometimes said they had a story but needed to get permission from someone else before they could share it. One example was a middle-aged man in suit and tie, carrying the Wall Street Journal both times I met him. The second day he came back to give me a pale blue envelope--perfumed--the kind used for personal correspondence. He said, "Before you read this, you should know that I've had it for at least ten years, that it's from my wife, to whom I am still married." Inside the envel...more
Theresa ♫
May 03, 2012 Theresa ♫ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fellow humans in search for a varied assortment of love stories
Yup, I read through all of these stories! I didn't skip a single one!

WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOO my first Robert Fulghum book! I've been wanting to read a book of his since I saw this huuuuge picture frame in my biology classroom.
It was the main article of "All I Really Needed To Know, I Learned In Kindergarten". MY FAVORITE ARTICLE EVER!

So anyway, this book...this book...this book...
Is pretty short.

It's made up of these short love stories (short meaning "2-4 pages long each") that have been sent to the a...more
Michael John
Eh... That pretty much sums this one up. The fact that money from the sales of this book go to Habitat for Humanity earned the book it's second star. Most of the stories were pretty forgettable. The one that stands out in my mind was about a student who tracked down the former owner of a used textbook and became friends with her. She was much older but in the end she said if they both had been the same age, they might have gotten married. You see, as I have gotten older, I have found that love i...more
Jenny
Imagine PostSecret, but more than just a sentence, and without pictures.

Robert Fulghum invited people to tell him true love stories - not stories they'd read about, but stories they had experienced. He's compiled a group of them for this book. The stories are short - a page or three at most, and cover all different aspects of love... the beautiful and the painful.

It's a great book to pick up and set down - the stories taken all at once are a bit overwhelming. That being said, I read it in two...more
Tony
I'm changing my review! I decided to re-read three of Fulghum's books that I had not liked at first. This is one of them. 15 years later, I'm finding that I really missed the boat on this little gem. Unlike Fulghum's other books, this is a compilation of stories sent in by readers / fans of his previous books. These stories are short, true essays on everyday people's experience of love. Some are touching...some are heart-warming...some are heart-breaking and most put a smile on your face. I'm gl...more
Amanda
One of the few authors who can truly write for any age. I love everything about this book, especially his method of collecting the stories. As with all of his books, it's something you can read starting in the middle, put down for a month, and come back to start somewhere completely different. And every bit that you read makes you feel more human and more content. I always feel like I have truly gotten "it," whatever it is, after reading Robert Fulghum.
Jacqueline
Love this book still read it to this day. It opened my eyes to many forms of love. It also helped me to look for love is the strangest of places.
Meg
I reread these stories all the time. The romantic in me cannot get enough of this book.
Jessica Raissa
Saya betul-betul menikmati kisah-kisah cinta yang dimuat didalam buku ini.

kisah cinta yang mengharukan, mendebarkan, unik, lucu dan bahkan sangat singkat benar-benar mengubah pandangan saya secara keseluruhan.

kisah-kisah yang disuguhkan didalam buku ini benar-benar membekas dalam hati saya. bagaimana saya bisa lupa cerita cinta mengharukan yang tumbuh diantara lansia dipanti jompo (salah satu favorit saya), atau kisah tentang seorang wanita yang merasakan perasaan bahagia saat melihat pria asin...more
Christie Bane
To get the stories for this book, this guy sat outside a coffeeshop with a sign that said he would buy people coffee if they would tell him their love stories. Then he took those stories and turned them into this book.

I have read a better collection of love stories than this one, though I can't remember the name of it. The thing I didn't like about this one was that about half of them seemed to be stories about what I would NOT consider true love. Things like, a crush on the woman who makes your...more
Brittany
This is a wonderful collection of short stories that Robert Fulghum has gathered, some told to him over a cup of coffee, some sent to him anonymously, all dealing with a type of love that’s been experienced. After reading this collection it's amazing to find how that one little word inspires different emotions amoung all who it touches and how they decode that feeling.

Love.

It evokes different reactions among people we know, among the strangers we pass on the street. While some of these stories...more
Veronika
Příběhy, které dojmou i mě, starého cynika.. :-)
Elesa Hagberg
This book was still very Robert Fulghumy, but about about Love, and I really liked it. Best of all, at the end of the book they asked for more love stories to be submitted by readers to possibly be published in a sequel book, and I submitted one! I was 19, I think, and very much in love with some guy who didn't care two shakes about me. Ha! It makes me laugh whenever I think of it. What a funny memory for me.
T.
"My dearest Harry: I hate you, I hate you, I hate you. Respectfully, with all my love, Edna."

I bought this book when I was so much younger and impressionable. But the stories do stand the test of time, and youth, and idealism, and the world. Which is why this book matters, and why I will still read it, years from now, after I have been battered and bruised and got the shit kicked out of me by love.
Claudia Harrington
I wish I could give it 3 and 1/2 stars but I can so I gave 3. 4 would be to many for my own taste. But at the same time how do you rate other peoples experiences. This book has a bunch of "True Love stories" written or told by ral people some of them cute, some suprising and some very endearing. It very entretaining. If you like to read stories you'll like this book.
Danijel Brestovac
Iskrena ljubezen

str. 70- ljubezen se nikoli ne konča - vedno ostane nadaljevanje ali upanje nanj.

Str. 89- vsi smo malo čudni. In tudi življenje je malo čudno. In ko najdemo človeka, čigar čudaštvo je združljivo z našim, se mu pridružimo in zapademo v skupno čudaštvo, ki nas zadovoljuje - in to imenujemo ljubezen - iskrena ljubezen.
Pam
May 31, 2013 Pam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a slightly different road Mr. Fulghum took, but I enjoyed it! If I recall, he asked people to tell him a 'love story', then he would proceed to give us his thoughts and comments. Simple idea, but because of the author, it was just as priceless as his previous writings.

Dome ^O^
It's a collection of love stories from many people. There're wonderful, lovely stories in this books. This is the book you will love. Each story has its own charm and memory. You'll love this book like me,check it out!
Kattie
You'd be better off finding a chicken soup book on love stories...they're a little more consistent, though the project of finding some of the best love stories seemed like it was a good idea.
Tami
i read the large print version and with these disconnected pieces it was a little more challenging to enjoy the book as much. but right before my wedding this weekend, the perfect thing to read.
Kevin
Aug 12, 2007 Kevin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: life
This book is a good one to give to young kids getting married. My wife and I read it some time in the first year of our marriage, and it really helped get over some rocky spots.
Slow Symphony
sometimes i wonder if these stories were real ... especially the couple who married after 15 years after a random encounter that didn't last too long ...
Gina Kearney
This is one of my all-time favorite books! I read snippets of this book over and over again, whenever I want that warm fuzzy feeling. :)
Kelly
A lovely collection of love stories, with some of the best quotes I adore. This book is marvelous. A must have for my classroom library.
Yim Ch.
Dec 30, 2008 Yim Ch. is currently reading it
As in the book said, read this book slowly and dun go straight on through. Too much true love stories(of others) really do cause heartburn.
Nia
Kisah ceritanya bagus-bagus,simple walaupun hanya pandangan mata tapi sudah menjadikan pengalaman yang manis dan tak terlupakan.
May 14, 2012 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Cute read. The editor collected real love stories that readers submitted to him and he put them all in a book.
Mary
I don't usually like stories about love, but these were short, often funny, and really entertaining.
Kelly
My favorite of his books, though I would recommend anything he writes. It's food for thought.
  • Get Out of Your Own Way: Overcoming Self-Defeating Behavior
  • On Earth As It Is In Heaven
  • Long Life: Essays and Other Writings
  • The Science of Happiness: How Our Brains Make Us Happy-and What We Can Do to Get Happier
  • Cast Member Confidential: A Disneyfied Memoir
  • Lighten Up
  • Check the Technique: Liner Notes for Hip-Hop Junkies
  • The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: Its Story and Its Lessons
  • Loving Each Other
  • Daybook: The Journal of an Artist
  • The Quotable Lewis
  • The Lost Chronicles: The Official Companion Book with Bonus DVD Behind the Scenes of LOST
  • North to the Orient
  • This I Believe 2
  • The Art of War & the Prince by Machiavelli - Special Edition
  • Sagmeister: Made You Look
  • The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
  • Matisse
19630
Robert Fulghum is an American author, primarily of short essays.

More about Robert Fulghum...
All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It Uh-oh - Some Observations From Both Sides Of The Refrigerator Door Maybe (Maybe Not): Second Thoughts from a Secret Life All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten: Fifteenth Anniversary Edition Reconsidered, Revised, & Expanded With Twenty-Five New Essays

“We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness—and call it love—true love.” 17441 likes
“Love is the grand prize and the garbage heap. Love is a spiritual root canal and the only thing that makes life worth living. Love is a little taste of always and a big bite of nothing. And love is everything in between these extremes.” 67 likes