Start by marking “Drop Dead Divas” as Want to Read:
Drop Dead Divas

Drop Dead Divas (Dixie Divas #2)

Welcome to a genteel world of pimento cheese finger sandwiches, tall libations in frosted glasses, stiletto heels, aging Southern-belle sisterhood, and murder . . .
In Dixie Divas, Trinket Truevine, her pal Bitty and their raucous fellow divas in the historic small town of Holly Springs, Mississippi, solved the murder of Bitty's ex-senator husband, Phillip. Now, in Drop De
Published September 13th 2010 by Bell Bridge Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Drop Dead Divas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drop Dead Divas

Party Girl by Rachel HollisSex in the Title by Zack LoveCinder by Marissa MeyerRuby's Misadventures with Reality by Samantha BohrmanBrilliant by Rachel Vail
The Shoes Make the Book
25th out of 71 books — 61 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggGarden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
Quirky Southern Fiction
297th out of 697 books — 1,785 voters

More lists with this book...

Ian
Oct 04, 2012 Ian rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

A very cute, if meandering story about a group of aging Southern Belles who always manage to find themselves at the center of trouble, much to the consternation of the police.

The two central characters Bitty and Trinket sparkle as they investigate a murder. The big selling point for these books is the snarky banter between the main characters, it's the main reason I love the Dixie Divas books as much as I do.

They fit quite comfortably into my definition of good fun.
Shelly Ash
Sep 28, 2011 Shelly Ash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woo hoo! Another hilarious divas book, Drop Dead Divas also has Trinket trying to keep Bitty out of trouble that her big mouth always seems to get her into. Yet again, much more of the adventure these ladies seem to thrive on and mysteries they slowly work on solving. All of the divas work well together and all of them have their own unique qualities they bring to the table. There is also a hint of romance in Drop Dead Divas which will keep you guessing, along with the mysteries they always seem ...more
Dawn
Dec 30, 2011 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Any book that starts with "Somebody should strangle that slut." is one I know I am really going to like, and this book did not disappoint. Having grown up in the south, I have really enjoyed Virginia Brown's Divas series. She has the southern belle pegged to a tee, so it makes it so enjoyable to read.
Eva Dean
Dec 13, 2011 Eva Dean rated it it was amazing
I read the first book and loved it. now this one is even better. great, fast read for the end of the semester. Made a great destresser for me. Can't wait to read the third and then her fourth. I love Bitty and Trinket! Virginia Brown makes the South come alive. Her books are full of laughs.
Cheryl
Jul 05, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it
I decided I liked the first book in the series and decided to pick up the second. As in the first, the characters are quirky, but fun and the story took enough twists to make it interesting, but still believable.
Lesley
Jan 01, 2011 Lesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A ways back Amazon offered Dixie Divas as a freebie Kindle book so I gave it a try. I loved it enough to fork out real money for book two and it was worth the $10 spent. I sure am hoping there is a book three. Southern women are so weird and crazy, bless their hearts!
Skeeter Jorgensen
Nov 26, 2011 Skeeter Jorgensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book and has lots of humorous spots in it. Even laugh out loud moments. The only draw back, was some of the language was a little strong. Great book though!
Janga
Oct 05, 2010 Janga rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book more than I did. It has Southern characters in a Southern setting, always a plus for me. It’s published by Belle Bridge Books, and the folks at Belle have published so many books I love that I just assume I’ll like whatever they make available. And I was excited that it was a funny cozy mystery with a Southern accent. I’ve felt a real void in that subgenre since the death of Anne George in 2001. But overall Drop Dead Divas was a book of great moments rather than a ...more
Readerwoman Laura
Nov 07, 2010 Readerwoman Laura rated it really liked it
A Rainy Sunday – a Cozy Mystery – Delightful!

Raining hard here – so I read… I mean, what’s a girl to do?!

A Californian who once lived for almost 10 years in the South, I found myself vastly amused and entertained by the rowdy adventures of Trinket, Bitty and friends, as found in the second of the series of Dixie Divas -

By: Virginia Brown

Publisher Name: Bell Bridge Books

I loved the fact that the women can be most gently termed “mature,” or “well-seasoned.” The second book in Virgin
Audiothing
Feb 13, 2015 Audiothing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Drop Dead Divas

Here they go again! .....
Bittys' late husbands girlfriend now has a brand new fiancé. Bitty insists on referring to him as her late husband despite being oft reminded by Trinket that, as they were divorced when he was murdered, he is her ex husband. Anyway, back to the story, Naomi, the girlfriend, being truly stupid, (bless her heart) sees no reason why she and Bitty can't now be friends, after all, the Senator, Bittys' late ex husband, is dead, so what's to gripe about? While Tr
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Nov 07, 2010 Shelleyrae at Book'd Out rated it really liked it
With the eccentricities and charm of the south, Drop Dead Divas is an amusing cozy mystery. This second book of the series has the Dixie Diva's, an exclusive group of mature women, once again trying to drag Bitty out of trouble. Bitty's late husband's girlfriends new fiance is murdered and she is placed in the frame, expecially when said girlfriend is also found strangled on her property. The police aren't moving fast enough so the Dixie Diva's decide to use their connections to investigate and ...more
Bookworm1858
Jul 23, 2011 Bookworm1858 rated it liked it
Drop Dead Divas by Virginia Brown
Bell Bridge Books, 2010
255 pages
Mystery; Contemporary
3/5 stars

Source: Received a free e-copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

When I requested this, I did not realize it was the second book in a series, which was unfortunate because there are many references to the murder and various happenings that somewhat confused me. I'm also very much not the target audience for this book, which I would describe as middle-aged Southern women like the main chara
Kristi
This second installment of the Dixie Divas series was a fun, light read. It takes place only a few months after the first book ends. Once again, Trinket's best friend and cousin, Bitty, finds herself at the top of the list of suspects for another murder in Holly Springs. It falls on Trinket, Bitty and some of the other Dixie Divas to clear Bitty's name. In the process of the investigation lives are at stake.

It may seem as though the plot is set up for a thriller or suspense novel. But the colorf
Delta
Dec 14, 2015 Delta rated it liked it
Shelves: z2015
This is the third Dixie Divas story I've read and I finally figured out what bugs me about them: Brown writes as if she's afraid you won't "get it". By that I mean she's told the story in such a way that you don't have the opportunity to see the joke (or miss it) and you don't get to solve the mystery on your own. Because the story is told from Trinket's first-person POV, you're treated to her feelings about every funny moment and the connection between every clue. It's like having a laugh track ...more
Nelda Pearson
Jul 24, 2013 Nelda Pearson rated it it was ok
This is the second in the Dixie Divas series and alot like the first. This a cross between a mystery and southern chicklit and from my perspective not very good southern chicklit maybe third tier. I like the characters OK but they basically don't do anything with emphasis on do but hang around and drink and need rescuing. Rayna is a successful artist so she does do something but when her paintings are described they sound like shlock. Bitty is too cute for words and you keep thinking Trinket ...more
Donna
I didn't really care for the first book in this series but I had already bought this one so decided to give it a chance. This series is just not for me. This seems to be the kind of thing I would like--a cozy mystery, funny southern women--but I just didn't care about the story or what was going on or how it was going to turn out. Brown writes long detailed descriptions of inane things ad nauseum--what people are wearing, what they are eating, how they take their tea, several paragraphs to ...more
Janiece
Jul 27, 2012 Janiece rated it liked it
Fun read. The characters are starting to take shape and the reader is not as annoying as in the first book. There are some really fun cultural details in the book that remind me of growing up with a mom and dad born in the deep South: pimiento cheese sandwiches, sweet tea, fresh made lemonade! yum!

Storyline has a surprise ending, hints to the reader but we were all going somewhere else and wanting the really mean people to be guilty. Ha! As in life sometimes that isn't the case.
Anne
Apr 23, 2016 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karin
Dec 05, 2011 Karin rated it liked it
Another fun read with just enough southern flavor to have a mint julep and ckicken and "dumplins" to go along.The characters in the Divas have a tendency to get murderd two by two and somehow the bellest belle of all is in the middle of it every time.I'm already looking forward to the third installment of the Divas' mayhem!
Kathy
Nov 05, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it
First "Diva" book I have read - and found it to be really enjoyable. A group of divas think they can do better than the local police and they set out to solve a crime and find themselves deeper and deeper in trouble. The books makes you laugh, but holds your interest and keeps you wondering who is the murderer. Will definitely read another "Diva" book.
Anna Church
Drop Dead Divas by Virginia Brown is a humorous story about a women's group that find trouble everywhere they turn, legally. They keep the police station always hopping. Especially, the two main characters. This mystery kept me on the edge of my seat, but also made me laugh at the same time! It is a must read, especially for ladies!
Beth
Dec 29, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
I listened to this one on Audible and it was an enjoyable book. The book was a lot of fun on Audible as the reader was talented and made it a lot of fun.
The mysteries are zany enough to be fun but serious enough to keep a mystery reader engaged. I have the next book in the series cued to "read" soon.
Marcella
Apr 18, 2013 Marcella rated it really liked it
The story was actually pretty good once you get into it. I nearly didn't bother because of the copious amount of description of houses, furniture etc. There was far too much of it which made this book a slow read for the first few chapters, but I persevered and was glad I did. The characters are fun, and there is action and humour to keep you going. Not a bad little mystery.
Robin
Nov 03, 2010 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of references to the first book in this sequel, which is only a bad thing if you haven't read the first book or read it so long ago that you don't remember much from it. Otherwise, this one is just as good as the first!
Ronda
Jun 21, 2013 Ronda rated it it was amazing
I am loving the Divas. Being a Southern Girl myself, I find lot's to compare to my group of friends. The plot moves at a perfect pace for a good read and I love a mystery that gives you giggles every once in a while.
Sue
Mar 01, 2016 Sue rated it it was ok
The characters in this series are the worst detectives imaginable. Entertaining at times, but the actual murder plot is completely lame.
Jackie
Aug 03, 2011 Jackie added it
Second book in a wonderful new series by the author. More fun times w/ Bitty and all her wackiness!!! Hoping there is a book #3! :-)
Karen j batton
Aug 04, 2015 Karen j batton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fun to read

Second in series can't wait to read the next. Divas are hilarious. Southern belles at their best. Trouble around the next corner.
Shirley
As always a delightful listen. Karen Commins does such a nice job changing character voices. On to the next one soon.
Maryteresa
Fun read

An easy to read morsel of brain candy.this is the perfect book for a bit of relaxation and fun at the end of a hard day.
  • Kitchen Princess Omnibus, Vol. 2 (Kitchen Princess, #3-4)
  • Citizen Insane (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #2)
  • Hal Spacejock 2: Second Course
  • A Tough Nut to Kill (A Nut House Mystery, #1)
  • Wish Her Well (Fantasy Heights, #7)
  • Seattle on Ice (A Brick Ransom Adventure, #2)
  • The Demon You Know (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom #4.5)
  • Eye of the Wizard (Misfit Heroes #1)
  • Nice
  • Deadlier Than the Male: The Fiercest Heart\Lethal Lessons
  • The Book
  • Pecked To Death (A Sadie Cooper Mystery #1)
  • Flames (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #2)
  • A Teeny Taste of Scandal
Since writing her first romance novel in 1984, Virginia Brown has written nearly 50 romance novels. Many of her books have been nominated for Romantic Times' Reviewer's Choice, Career Achievement Award for Love and Laughter, and Career Achievement Award for Adventure. Her works regularly appear on national bestseller lists. Having written under several different names about historical eras such as ...more
More about Virginia Brown...

Dixie Divas (5 books)
  • Dixie Divas (Dixie Divas #1)
  • Dixie Diva Blues