Start by marking “A Tapestry of Hope” as Want to Read:
A Tapestry of Hope

A Tapestry of Hope (Lights of Lowell #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  881 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Compellingly weaves together the heartrending and hope-building stories of two young women in 1840s Massachusetts.
Published May 1st 2004 by Bethany House Publishers (first published March 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Tapestry of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tapestry of Hope

Carolyn
Dec 31, 2010 Carolyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was awfully depressing for a cheesy christian romance novel. And it tried to overplay the historical fiction/civil war lead up aspects of it a bit too much. You felt like the author was showing off research. Oh, and then the author tries to wrap up everything really sappily (in a badly telegraphed way) in the last 20 pages. It wasn't bad, but I've read much better.
Katrina Swaim
Jan 12, 2016 Katrina Swaim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not always impressed with Christian fiction, despite being a Christian myself, but I quite liked this Civil War era historical novel about the struggles of two women caught up and trapped in the power dynamics of a society still very much enmeshed in racial and gender inequality. I was impressed by the heroine's spirit, even in her submissiveness to those who had power over her. From my comfortable seat in 2016, it's easy to say that I would have defied my father and let my family bear the f ...more
Maryanne
Nov 29, 2008 Maryanne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While reading this book I kept thinking it has got to get better.
That is the only reason why I finished this book.
Stephany
Tracie Peterson is one of my favorite Christian authors. She writes historical Christian fiction and I do think she writes a lot more accurately than many historical fiction romance writers. The characters feel more real and dynamic. (And not everything is about sex and balls!)

This book is about Jasmine, who is the only daughter of a slave owner. She has a slew of older brothers, a depressed mother, and a father. Her father is a businessman but also dotes on Jasmine. One day, two men come to vis
Ellen
Oct 04, 2013 Ellen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is only the second Tracie Peterson book I've read, but thank goodness it wasn't the first, or I'd never pick another one up again. I had a favorable response to Silent Star, so when this new series was featured at Audible for a special price, I was looking forward to it. Tying together the plantation life of pre-Civil War South and the life of the textile mills in Lowell, Mass, made this book sound interesting. Peterson boldly points out the hypocrisy of the North in their anti-slavery beli ...more
Elizabeth
It was okay. Certain aspects of it I liked, whereas others I did not. It is pretty dark for Christian fiction, but I actually enjoyed how nothing was sugar coated. The characters were another story; I just didn't feel invested in any of them, I didn't really care what happened to them. Also, I felt the plot, though interesting, was a bit too predictable. Despite the mixed feelings, I will probably read the rest of the trilogy, as I thought it was alright and I can't stand to leave one unfinished ...more
L
Another beginning to a series by my favorite Christian author, Tracie Peterson. Not a new one...written during one of my academic pursuit times when I was studying instead of pleasure reading. This one deals with the connection between the Lowell textile mills and the Southern plantation supplier of cotton. The husband in this was was a real jerk, so the ending was a surprise but satisfying...we reap what we sow. Ready to move on to the next one in the series, A Love Woven True.
Kathryn
Sep 29, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Samantha Westrick
I didn't mind this book too much until the last third, when it started getting extremely religious. I wasn't aware that this was a Christian novel, and although I am religious myself, I felt that in this case the author used it to wrap up the story neatly and to weaken the main character. It also felt particularly dated, like it was trying to preach the particular values held back in the time of the Civil War.
SJ Garrison
Jan 21, 2016 SJ Garrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even in all the cruelty's of life there's Hope

There was a lot of cruel evil twists from a man who sought wealth over love, but through God's word the women grew in the Lord and found hope when there seemed to be none. I stayed up late into the night to read chapter after chapter. But when I got to the last chapter I didn't want the story to end. I'd recommend this book to anyone that loves Christian story.
Shavavian Allister
I liked this book. Although the main character started off seemingly a bit flighty and naive (not by her own fault), she grew into her own and I ended up liking her. I hope in the next book she's a strong heroine. The topic of slavery was in here, but not a focal point...which seemed odd because it was talked about as though it WAS a focal point, if that makes any sense.
Sheila Badger
Jun 07, 2016 Sheila Badger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lesson in faith

This story illustrates the growth of a southern belle as she matures into a some. Her values are tested, and she learns to see the world as it is. Each step of the way she learns how to have a closer relationship with Jesus Christ.
Phycilla Gable
Dec 10, 2015 Phycilla Gable rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazon review

Really great book with an interesting plot, lots of great characters, and a story of finding faith and dependence on God when the going gets tough. A story of both love, happiness and sadness and coming out on the other side.
Sarah D. Smith
Mar 26, 2016 Sarah D. Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tracie Peterson is excellent author, you can't put her books down.She

Keeps the reader captive to the story. What I like is how she brings religion in to the story. I would recommend her books to any avid reader.
Stacey Head
Mar 26, 2016 Stacey Head rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touching

Once again Tracie Peterson has written a truly heartfelt book that portrays both the good and bad of hu!man nature. My heart broke for both Jasmine and Kiara. Very pleased they both had a happy ending.
Kristina
May 28, 2009 Kristina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The villain of this one seemed a little too outlandishly evil, without there being a particularly good reason. At the end of the book, everyone is encouraged to forgive him for all he has done wrong, pointing out that he wasn't always a bad person. But we have no explanation for why he turned out to be such a complete a-hole, other than "responsibility made him grow up too fast." I don't particularly buy that, but whatever. Anyway, I didn't love this book (nothing unintentionally funny here, as ...more
Melissa
Historical set in pre-Civil war South and North. Dealing with cotton/textile industry. Romance is good, but the rest was kind of boring for me.
Tammy
May 31, 2016 Tammy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
I am giving up on this one. I have enjoyed other books written by the author, but couldn't get into this book.
Alaina
May 11, 2015 Alaina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good!
Hannah Mcclure
Aug 20, 2014 Hannah Mcclure rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I continually wanted to strangle Bradley, I found this to be an excellent read.
Tracy Hall
Jul 04, 2015 Tracy Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1st book I read by this author and I s hooked!
Linda *Rapunzel*
This book is amazing! It will make you mad, sad, happy, and many more emotions. The time is back when there were slaves, before women voted, and when the North wanted the South to stop trading cotton with England. I think everyone should read, but it is more better for girls to read. Everyone knows that I hate Bradley, but the ending is the best part of the book. Read it and it will make a difference about how everything is different now.
Jan Hardy
Jan 31, 2012 Jan Hardy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved reading about Jasmines life; but it was so sad that her Father had betrothed her to Bradley...a dishonest, crooked businessman! I couldn't put the book down, nor the following ones that were in the series(2 more)...there were happy endings, of which she worked hard for...
Niki
Feb 26, 2014 Niki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was easy to read and enjoyable. I enjoyed the story line of characters from Ireland and characters from the south. I liked reading about the relationships and the struggles that the characters had to overcome during their lifetime.
Dottie White
Jul 09, 2013 Dottie White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was good. It was really slow in parts, and took me a long time to read, but it was good in the end. I'm glad I read it all the way through.
Catrina
I liked the book because it has the meaning of depending on God, and not on others. Very good point and something that we should all live by.
Deb Chambers
Sep 09, 2013 Deb Chambers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I sat down an really started to read the book it became interesting and I couldn't put it down. I wanted to see what would happen next.
Katherine
Being the first in a series, I knew this wouldn't end all nice and tidy. It did seem pretty sad, overall, though. I will listen to the next one.
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
I liked this book a lot. It was a good read. I love historical fiction and I love the blend of religion in the story.
Barbara
Mar 27, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Read several chapters before I could get into it. Glad it turned out better than I thought it would.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Apr 22, 2015 01:13PM
  • A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel, #3)
  • A Gathering of Memories (A Place Called Home, #4)
  • The Carousel Painter
  • Sons of Thunder
  • The Noble Fugitive (Heirs of Acadia, # 3)
  • Prairie Storm (A Town Called Hope, #3)
  • Love's First Bloom (Hearts Along The River #2)
  • A Rose Remembered (Secret of the Rose, #2)
  • June (Brides of the West, #2)
  • Opal (Dakotah Treasures, #3)
  • The Mark of Salvation (Scottish Crown, #3)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

Lights of Lowell (3 books)
  • A Love Woven True (Lights of Lowell, #2)
  • The Pattern of Her Heart (Lights of Lowell, #3)