Start by marking “Family Patterns (Patchwork, #1)” as Want to Read:
Family Patterns (Patchwork, #1)

Family Patterns (Patchwork #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  183 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Published 2010 by Guideposts

To ask other readers questions about Family Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Patterns

April Wood
Oct 23, 2013 April Wood rated it liked it
Family Patterns is a fictitious mystery novel about a vintage quilt restorer named Sarah, with a knack for not only piecing together quilts, but family mysteries also.

Sarah's son Jason moves his family into Sarah's late grandfather's Victorian house. A shroud of mystery surrounds Sarah's grandparents. Her grandmother went missing 90 years ago, and her grandfather was suspected of her disappearance. Sarah doesn't believe the rumors, and she makes it her mission to discover what really happened t
Linda
Jan 31, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
...and you can't judge a book by its publisher! This book has a religious publisher (Guideposts) and while I'm not against that, I don't enjoy books that are preachy and many of the religious publisher books are. This one is not. It's the first book in a series called Patchwork Mysteries. It combines my love of genealogy with my love of mystery and wraps it all up in a gentle cozy story that grabbed my attention.

Sarah Hart's grandmother, Molly Drayton, disappeared without a trace 90 years earlie
Elaine
Oct 26, 2010 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, guideposts
guideposts #1 in this series

Sarah restores vintage quilts and has discovered one that is attached to a 90-year old mystery involving her missing grandmother—a grandmother she's never met.

Molly was 24 years old when she disappeared leaving behind her 6-year old son, and the Town always blamed her husband. Sarah is hoping to discover something about this strange disappearance many years later when a 4' x 4' quilt is discovered in a secret passageway in an old home. She painstakingly restores the
Amber
Jun 03, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowedfrommom
I enjoyed this book and the cover art was amazing! I loved how the mystery was solved in the end and it all started with a quilt. Definitely check this book out!
Bridget
Jan 25, 2016 Bridget rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 Stars

Really good, easy read.

It's about Sarah Hart and her family (mostly Sarah) trying to solve a mystery from the past and trying to figure out the mysterious woman living as a boarder in Sarah's home.

I did enjoy this book as much as I had hoped I would. I really loved all the characters. This is a Christian cozy mystery but the Christian aspects weren't overwhelming...not to me anyway.

I do have the 2nd book on my shelf, that is written by another author. I'm hoping I enjoy it as much a
Loraine
Jan 01, 2016 Loraine rated it really liked it
SUMMARY: Sarah Hart, expert in vintage quilt restoration, finds herself in position to solve the hundred year old mystery of her grandmother's disappearance, and clear her grandfather's name. Takes place in the small town of Maple Hill, MA. First in a series.

REVIEW: This debut book in the Patchwork Mystery series published by Guideposts and penned by a variety of Christian fiction authors is a very good, clean cozy mystery. Much like the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys series, there are no murders but
Catherine
Feb 18, 2016 Catherine rated it really liked it
A cool fictitious mystery. Love the steps taken to research family history. Will be happy to read more of Patchwork Mysteries.
Jun 13, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Recommended to Jennifer by: Bernice Barratt
Shelves: mystery
Blest be the tie that binds! This very cute modern-day mystery includes oldsters, youngsters, and a decades old mystery ... all entwined in a backgroud of crazy quilts! My 91 year old aunt recommended this one to me! I think she especially enjoyed the main character, Sarah Hart, a senior citizen always on the go and with a special talent for restoring old quilts. Themes include love of family and friends, faith and appreciating one's family history play key roles throughout the book. It was also ...more
Kathleen
Sep 21, 2010 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teens or adults or older adults
Recommended to Kathleen by: publisher
All the old storytelling hooks you loved as a child: secret passages, written messages, a wrong to be righted. Sarah Hart is 60 years old, a grandmother, yet is able to solve the mystery of her own grandmother's disappearance a hundred years earlier. Her twin grandchildren are essential to the plot. Sometimes it's a little like: Let's run off and have fun and not tell the busy parents. Sarah has an ongoing conversation with the Almighty which she shares with us as easily as she shares her quilt ...more
Kelly Mayhew
Mar 02, 2014 Kelly Mayhew rated it it was amazing
Family Patterns is an amazing book for all readers. The whole book is Christian based. For people who are looking for suspense and family related stories this is the book for you. The story is all about an old family secret that involves a strange disappearance of a woman whose husband is suspected of killing her but he has no recollection of the event that took place at midnight. The only other witness to the event was the young son of the woman who heard the whole thing from start to finish. T ...more
Michelle
Jul 24, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
After reading Timeless Treasures, I decided I wanted to read the preceding books in the series. The unusual part is that they are written by different authors but they all hold true to the characters. If you didn't read the author's name, you wouldn't know it was written by someone else. This is a series of good, gentle cozies.
Bmquiram
Sep 22, 2011 Bmquiram rated it really liked it
I will admit to tearing up at the end of this book. Family Patterns is a great read. I loved the story and the characters.
Cathy Biggerstaff
Jan 02, 2015 Cathy Biggerstaff rated it really liked it
Family Patterns by Kristen Eckhardt was an engaging mystery about a mother who disappears, leaving family members puzzled about what happened to her. Ms. Echardt does a wonderful job of tying up all the loose ends and solving the mystery. Along the way, she teaches a lot about restoring antique quilts. The only reason I didn't give it a five-star rating was the typos it contained. This was a Guideposts book so I was really surprised by the typos. I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes a goo ...more
Karen
Mar 06, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
This was a nice cozy mystery involving and old quilt, a woman who went missing 100 years ago and the woman who needs to solve the mystery.
Sarah's grandmother Molly went missing years ago and everyone suspects Molly's husband of murder. Sarah is determined to clear her grandfather's name and find the truth of Grandma Molly's disappearance.
Christian Singer
May 18, 2015 Christian Singer rated it it was amazing
When I read the back cover of Eckhardt's Family Patterns, I knew I had to read this book, and once I started I couldn't put it down. The story made me want to know more about my family history. Kristin Eckhardt did a lovely job of "stitching" this story together. I love it and highly recommend it. This goes on my Keep shelf.
Ramona
Feb 06, 2015 Ramona added it
I picked this book up at a thrift store, for my mom. I endedup reading it, while recuperating from a virus. I enjoyed this modern mystery-what-happened-to?...very much. I really identify with the main character...close in age..hobbies...etc. I look forward to finding and reading, the next book in the series.
Elizabeth Meadows
Mar 23, 2016 Elizabeth Meadows rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is definitely my type of book. It was basically a genealogy mystery where a woman finds a very old quilt that had belonged to her father when he was a boy and begins to use clues from the quilt to unravel the mystery of her grandmother's disappearance 90 years earlier. There were other story lines going on too and a bit of action and suspense with Christian undertones woven throughout. I can't wait to read more in this series.
Flora Reigada
Jan 27, 2015 Flora Reigada rated it really liked it
I love almost anything set in New England and in a Victorian home, as this book was. However, I thought things wrapped up too abruptly in the end.
Juliana fern
Jan 09, 2015 Juliana fern rated it really liked it
I don't usually read Christian books, but when I picked up this book it sounded good. so I read it and now I have to find book two one book that I will not judge a book by its coves again
Melody Kavota
Jun 12, 2016 Melody Kavota rated it it was amazing
mysterious
Kristina Smith
Oct 29, 2013 Kristina Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: guideposts-books
I enjoyed the book, not enough to sign up for the series from Guideposts, but it was an interesting read. Some of the plot points just didn't seem feasible or logical or truthful. Everything just seemed to "fall into place" (even the dead ends made sense), and after a while, that was a little irritating to me since I prefer stories with unexpected twists and turns and surprises. But if you are looking for a mindless read with Christian overtones, this book will not disappoint.
Lisa
Jan 10, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Nice little mystery. characters were interesting and so was the story line. Nothing graphic or over the top. I would recommend this for those readers who like mysteries and inspirational fiction.
Barb
Sep 14, 2014 Barb rated it liked it
This book was kind of like a grown up "Nancy Drew" type book with lots of Christian overtones. Sarah restores old quilts, and uncovers a mystery along the way. She solves the mystery, and all is well at the end. I will happily read more books in this series.
Sandra
Jan 31, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book and loved it. If you love a good little mystery, then this is a book to read. I can't wait for the next book in the series to arrive.

The storyline is so easy to follow and even when you think you know the answer, it isn't what you thought. If it wasn't for school work, I would have had this done the day I started reading it. Awsome book
Pam
Nov 15, 2013 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed this mystery despite the religious overtones. I found the characters attractive. I was slightly disappointed with the ending which came out of no where and wrapped up too tightly. I would like to continue to follow this author to see how her writing skills develop.
Dee
Jun 01, 2013 Dee rated it liked it
This is the first book in a series from Guideposts that was given to me by a friend.
It was a mystery set around a quilt that was 90 years old and which held clues to the disappearance of a young mother 90 years earlier.

Karin
Sep 25, 2012 Karin rated it liked it
A nice story. Grandma Sarah, a quilter, finds an old family quilt and while restoring it also solves a 90 old mystery: where did her grandmother disappear to? Some religiousness but not enough to encroach on the storyline
Judy
Jun 19, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read. What I have learned lately, this might be considered a Cozy Mystery. Since it is a Patchwork Mystery from Guideposts, it has a quilt theme. I enjoyed the references to quilt patterns and techniques.
'Chele
May 08, 2012 'Chele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the mystery surrounding this story and the quilt. It added the tracing of family tree to the mix. Makes one realize not all is as seems or thinks.
Joann
Mar 05, 2012 Joann rated it liked it
This was a quaint little book, easy to read and characters that are interesting. Someone gave me the entire series and I will enjoy them all I am sure.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: Family Patterns 1 2 Jul 24, 2012 05:05PM
  • Sweet September (Home to Heather Creek #2)
  • Nipped in the Bud
  • The Photo Album  (Annie's Attic Mysteries #3)
  • Aprons on a Clothesline
  • Death on a Deadline ( Sleuthing Sisters Mystery)
  • Died in the Wool (Hometown Mysteries)
  • Covert Pursuit
  • Bye Bye Bertie (Ivy Towers, #2)
  • Murder in the Red Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #10)
  • Thief of Souls
  • Random Acts of Deceit (Holly Anna Paladin Mysteries #2)
  • The Camera Never Lies
  • Formula for Danger (Sonoma, #2)
  • Misfortune Cookies (When The Fat Ladies Sing Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Another Stab at Life (The Volstead Manor #1)
  • Power for Living
  • The Deuce (Midtown Blue #1)

Patchwork (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Time to Share (Patchwork, #2)
  • Muslin Mystery (Patchwork, #3)
  • Timeless Treasures (Patchwork, #4)
  • Homespun Holiday (Patchwork, #5)
  • Pieces of the Past (Patchwork, #6)
  • Threads of Truth (Patchwork, #7)
  • Secret in the Stitches (Patchwork, #8)
  • Bound in Love (Patchwork, #9)
  • Yesterday's Secrets (Patchwork, #10)
  • Squared Away (Patchwork, #11)