Start by marking “The Rotting Spot (A Bruce and Bennett Mystery - Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Rotting Spot (A Bruce and Bennett Mystery - Book 1)

The Rotting Spot (Bruce and Bennett Mystery #1)

Someone's getting away with murder … and they'll do anything to keep it that way.

The skull hunter's rotting spot hides a secret, while the families on the sea-lashed Northumbrian headland hide several more. When Lucy Seaton goes missing, her friend Erica Bruce is convinced there's a link to the disappearance of Lucy's cousin years before.

At first, Inspector Will Bennett's
Published August 1st 2009 by Red Squirrel Press

To ask other readers questions about The Rotting Spot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rotting Spot

Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
I have to say, I loved this local read. The writing is absolutely sublime.

It took me a while to get in to this book, but once I started I was hooked. And MY, WHAT A TWIST! This novel plays out wonderfully, with everything that could possibly be wanted from a crime novel. I cared for the characters and was genuinely interested in everything about them. The Skull Hunting is particularly interesting - gruesome but wonderful at the same time, fascinating. It made me want to look things up, research
Mari Biella
Apr 23, 2015 Mari Biella rated it it was amazing
'Much of the time, watching their golden existence, he carried on alone, like some tiny rocky planet orbiting twin suns, so far out as to feel little warmth.'

Valerie Laws's The Rotting Spot is a thriller, and a very good one at that; but it's ultimately about love and loss, the corrosive effects of secrets, and the skeletons (or should that be skulls?) that sometimes rattle around in the most apparently innocent of closets. It is also - as the passage above testifies - extremely well-written.

Muc
Chris Longmuir
Sep 01, 2013 Chris Longmuir rated it it was amazing
I chose The Rotting Spot by Valerie Laws as one of the books to read for my crime writer in residence crime series of posts for the Edinburgh eBook Festival. The title intrigued me and it had lots of good reviews so I reckoned it must be a reasonably good read, and it didn't disappoint me. The plot was good, it kept me guessing - I like to be kept guessing but it's becoming increasingly difficult - and the characters were original and engaging. The main character, Erica Bruce, is a homeopath, an ...more
Cathy Bryant
Aug 27, 2015 Cathy Bryant rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best crime thrillers I've read for years, and I read quite a few crime thrillers. For a start, the characters are interesting and unusual - I don't think I've ever seen a homeopath portrayed sympathetically, nor a working class single mother in crime fiction. Then there's the elderly skull-collector and the mentally ill sister of the doctor...it's a vibrant cast.
Vibrancy and energy sustain this novel throughout the twists and turns, which aren't as predictable and obvious as m
Jack
Oct 23, 2016 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing mystery starting with a missing woman, then revealing a complex history of family secrets.
Reb MacRath
Dec 03, 2013 Reb MacRath rated it it was amazing
A 'dark cosy', as one reviewer put it, is as close as we're likely to get it to a perfect tag for this mystery. I entered with some trepidation, since I'm not a fan of cosies and more than one reader had mentioned that the story was slow to take off. In fact, the terrific mystery angle doesn't kick off until the Kindle meter ticks off about 49%. Till then we have a rich, smooth blend of slowly simmering mystery (over a disappeared childhood friend), character study, dramedy...and just plain ...more
Jacqui
Jacqui rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2015
David Gilchrist
David Gilchrist rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2015
Diane Fairhall
Diane Fairhall rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Holly Mackenzie
Holly Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
A Brown
A Brown rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Velvetink
Aug 27, 2013 Velvetink marked it as to-read
kindle cloud
Pam Miller
Pam Miller rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Valerie B.Maradie
Valerie B.Maradie rated it liked it
May 21, 2014
Betty
Betty rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2012
Denise Sparrowhawk
Denise Sparrowhawk rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2010
Fiona Ford
Fiona Ford rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Amygibbs
Amygibbs rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2013
Sheena
Sheena rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2012
Alison
Alison rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Penelope Cooper
Penelope Cooper rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2015
Jackie Masini
Jackie Masini rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Christopher Everest
Christopher Everest rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2014
Jule
Jule rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2015
Lady Joyful
Lady Joyful rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2011
Arlena
Arlena marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2012
C.
C. marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Kuki
Kuki marked it as to-read
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Sharonm
Sharonm marked it as to-read
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
BookishDreamer
BookishDreamer marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Bev
Bev marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Lela
Lela marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Dolly
Dolly marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Witchhusband
Witchhusband marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Barbara Brabank
Barbara Brabank marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Valerie Laws is world-infamous for spray-painting quantum physics poetry onto live sheep in her Arts Council-funded QUANTUM SHEEP project. She is a Northumbrian poet, performer, crime & comedy novelist, playwright and sci-art installation specialist.

Her 13 published books include poetry (including 4 full collections), crime & comedy fiction, language text books, and drama.

Her new crime nov
More about Valerie Laws...

Bruce and Bennett Mystery (2 books)
  • The Operator (A Bruce and Bennett Mystery - Book 2)