Start by marking “Jimmy Carter (The American Presidents, #39)” as Want to Read:
Jimmy Carter (The American Presidents, #39)

Jimmy Carter (The American Presidents #39)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The maverick politician from Georgia who rode the post- Watergate wave into office but whose term was consumed by economic and international crises

A peanut farmer from Georgia, Jimmy Carter rose to national power through mastering the strategy of the maverick politician. As the face of the "New South," Carter's strongest support emanated from his ability to communicate di
Published September 14th 2010 by Times Books (first published September 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Jimmy Carter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jimmy Carter

Joshua
3.5 stars. A good, digestible Carter biography. Zelizer maybe dwells more on Carter's campaigns than on his actual service in office. The book moves swiftly and covers a lot of ground in just 150 pages of text (the rest is references and indexing). Facts are all backed up by references, and the books comes off as an honest and fair portrayal of Carter's public life to date, focusing primarily on his Presidency, of course, since this book is part of a series on the American Presidents. Carter is ...more
Maria
This book is very short. It only consists of 150 pages for reading, while the rest are for the bibliography. It could be finished in one sitting.

However, there is a problem. As one who is not very exhilarated over Jimmy Carter's presidency or post-presidency (his political life in general), I decided to tackle this book just to learn more about the commander-in-chief whom I may have judged a little bit too harshly. I realized I haven't.

While my political thoughts are insignificant to this book r
Andy Miller
A balanced biography of Jimmy Carter, concise as are all the others in the American Presidents Series. The author, Julian Zelizer does a great job in describing how Carter's drive, self confidence, and an outsider perspective contributed to the running of a brilliant campaign that captured the Democratic nomination and general election. However, those same personal traits contributed to his shortcomings in meeting the challenges to his actual Presidency. Carter's self confidence as a candidate g ...more
Robin
This is that very rare thing: a short biography written for adults.

Though a little too long in describing Carter's presidential campaign, it's enjoyably written. I wish there had been more historical perspective and less blow-by-blow. It's written much like the way news is reported. Lots of machinations without deep thinking into what is important. It's so interesting to read about the names and events that you heard about as a child. I can't attest to the accuracy because many of the details ar
Steven Peterson
A nice addition to this series of brief biographies of American presidents. The focus here is Jimmy Carter. The author has no reservations about being critical where such is appropriate, so the book has a bit of an edge (but not inappropriately so, in my judgment). The book begins by outlining Jimmy Carter's background, his first efforts at politics, his success as a candidate for governor, and his strategic approach to running for president.

Then, his presidency. From a promising beginning to mo
Anne
Very brief overview of his life and presidency. Spends a lot of pages writing about other politicians.
David
A serviceable summary, in 150 pages, of Carter's work, capped by his receipt of the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002. Zelizer sticks to straight reporting for the body of the book (in somewhat dry prose), and is only evaluative in a short epilogue that assesses Carter's successes and failures.

Working in such a compact form, the book is forced to introduce names of people and places without any context. Younger readers may wonder why Bill Moyers and Jesse Jacskon are important (they make drive-by appear
Jennifer Nelson
I've never really thought the world of Jimmy Carter and this book didn't improve my view of him. The writing itself was bland, boring, and seemed to gloss over most everything (except election numbers and analysis). Although I am happy that Jimmy Carter makes a profession of faith and that he has led a somewhat moral life and advocated for moral values, I just was not impressed with his style of leadership and a lot of his political views. I'm glad to move on to one of my favorite presidents. :)
Alicia Joy
Well written. So much information. Feeling burnt out in the series and disappointed the series is still not complete. Author managed to go through the whole book without revealing his true feelings on Carter. Incredibly neutral.
Sara
Short book by the group writing biographies of each president. Carter was probably the most moral of all our presidents and likely due to this, was not the popular. I've been impressed with his diplomatic endeavors since then.
Jerry Landry
Zelizer does a good job in his summation of Carter's life, focusing on his four turbulent years as president but also providing some insight into his rise to power in addition to his active post-presidency.
Danmcgohan
Good, quick read. Part of American President Series. Factual, but I thought Mr. Zeller could and should have been more critical Of President Carter acting as a rogue diplomat durung his postpresidencency.
Really liked this book. A great review of Carter's presidency as well as his post presidential accomplishments. I highly recommend - not only as a history review, but a "good look" at current affairs.
Alex Robinson
How does one write a satisfying book about one of the biggest presidential failures? I'm glad it was short because it was a depressing read.
Charles M.
Part of the Time Books series on US presidents...this book details what went wrong with perhaps the worst presidency during the 20th century.
Jason Chambers
So far, my favorite if the American president series.
Ross
Not a big carter fan, but we'll written.
The Wolf
The Wolf marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Nana Kubai
Nana Kubai marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Otis Jordan
Otis Jordan marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Bailey Wimberly
Bailey Wimberly marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Dennis McCrea
Dennis McCrea marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Deidre
Deidre marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Agnessa
Agnessa marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
  • George H. W. Bush (The American Presidents, #41)
  • Gerald R. Ford (The American Presidents, #38)
  • John Tyler (The American Presidents, #10)
  • Herbert Hoover (The American Presidents, #31)
  • Benjamin Harrison (The American Presidents, #23)
  • Franklin Pierce (The American Presidents, #14)
  • Rutherford B. Hayes (The American Presidents, #19)
  • Grover Cleveland (The American Presidents, #22, #24)
  • Chester Alan Arthur (The American Presidents, #21)
  • Martin Van Buren (American Presidents, #8)
  • Calvin Coolidge (The American Presidents, #30)
  • William Henry Harrison (The American Presidents, #9)
  • Zachary Taylor (The American Presidents, #12)
  • Warren G. Harding (The American Presidents, #29)
  • Andrew Johnson (The American Presidents, #17)
  • James Buchanan (The American Presidents, #15)
  • James A. Garfield (The American Presidents, #20)
  • Harry S. Truman (The American Presidents, #33)

The American Presidents (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • George Washington (The American Presidents, #1)
  • John Adams (The American Presidents, #2)
  • Thomas Jefferson (The American Presidents, #3)
  • James Madison (American Presidents, #4)
  • James Monroe (The American Presidents, #5)
  • John Quincy Adams (The American Presidents, #6)
  • Andrew Jackson (The American Presidents, #7)
  • Martin Van Buren (American Presidents, #8)
  • William Henry Harrison (The American Presidents, #9)
  • John Tyler (The American Presidents, #10)
The Fierce Urgency of Now: Lyndon Johnson, Congress, and the Battle for the Great Society Arsenal of Democracy: The Politics of National Security--From World War II to the War on Terrorism On Capitol Hill: The Struggle to Reform Congress and Its Consequences, 1948 2000 The American Congress: The Building of Democracy Taxing America: Wilbur D. Mills, Congress, and the State, 1945-1975