Start by marking “Fixing Freddie: A True Story about a Boy, a Single Mom, and the Very Bad Beagle Who Saved Them” as Want to Read:

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  37 reviews
From the Introduction:
We didnOCOt need a dog. We had a perfectly nice dog named Shakespeare, a big, loveable, huggable shaggy black mutt from the pound. And a cat, a beautiful tabby named Isis. We were a familyOCome and the dog and the cat and Mikey, my youngest child and the only one left at home. His siblings were grown and gone. His father was just gone. When I finally
Published July 1st 2010 by Adams Media Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Fixing Freddie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fixing Freddie

Joan Colby
This is really a memoir of a woman’s life raising her youngest son as a single mother following two divorces (her older children are adults). Though she has a “perfect” dog, Shakespeare, a rescued mutt and a cat Isis, succumbing to the pleadings of her 10 year old son Mikey, Munier acquires Freddie, a badly behaved beagle. Freddie’s misdeeds are interspersed in what is essentially the story of Munier trying to put her life on a balanced footing. A writer and editor, she has relocated to a lakesi ...more
Mike
Apr 19, 2011 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dog lovers, single parents
Recommended to Mike by: found it at Borders
Shelves: autobiography
AS the owner of a mixed breed beagle, the cover of this book caught my eye. I was very surprised at how easy the book was to read and it was an engaging book at that.

Paula is a great storyteller....her tale of dealing with life in raising her youngest son as a single mom after two failed marriages is very engaging....mix in Freddie, a purebred (terror) beagle and life definitely is not boring.

For those that love dogs (especially beagles), this is an excellent read...
Kris
A single mom buys a beagle puppy on a lark and suffers the consequences. She doesn't have time to train him properly and so he becomes a nightmare. Poops and pees in her small house, bites a guest, breaks off his leash, etc. All the while, we learn of her many poor choices in husbands and boyfriends. Frustrating read. Save your time.
Kristin
Got this for free at our vacation home over the summer. While it sounded like the beagle version of 'Marley and Me', the book was as much about the author trying to fix her messed up life as it was about fixing Freddie's behavior. Munier had just divorced her second husband, settled their custody battle for her youngest child, and moved to New England for work when her son holds her to a promise she made that if they ever had a house of their own again, he could have a puppy. Their older dog was ...more
Shari Larsen
In this memoir, the author takes us along on her journey as she navigates through single motherhood, dating, dealing with ex-husbands and one bad dog.

She had made a promise to her son that if they were ever able to get a home of their own, he could have a puppy; so when when her dream of home ownership becomes a reality, her son Mikey reminds her of her promise, so they end up adopting Freddie, a beagle puppy.
Freddie seems to be unstoppable in his bad behavior and penchant for destruction, (kitc
Richard Tolleson
There's nothing earth-shattering about this book. It's just a story about a single mom raising her son and several animals. It's sometimes funny, sometimes sad, but never boring. If you want a tale about ordinary people leading normal lives, check this out.
Christine
This book wasn't bad, but I had to give it a 2 star, because it simply wasn't what it advertised itself to be.

Adorable crazy dog on the cover, with a cutesy title? The reader (and as I see, most of the reviewers) believe the book to be about an adorable yet crazy dog, going through various hijinks with the owner, hilarity ensues, etc.

However, the book was about the owner of the dog, her trials and tribulations of life, such as husbands, family, and last, the pets. The book was written and edited
Paola
With the pretext of the dog, the author tells us about her separation and life as a single mum - and as for the dog things looked pretty bad (read "untrainable dog") and then improve, so does life for the author.

Not particularly novel storyline, not particularly well written, at various places slightly boring. I read it because I find it hard not to finish a book once I started it; and I picked it up in the first place because I am a sucker for dogs and the book was a freebie from Amazon. Wouldn
WifeMomKnitter
I was loaned this book through Kindle and thoroughly enjoyed it.

This book was more of a memoir of the author's experience with the lovable, but extremely ill-baved beagle that she and her son, Mikey, adopted after moving into their own home.

But, this book is also about how both Freddie and the author "grow up".

I laughed and cried while reading about Freddie's adventures and the loss of his feline companions.

If you're a dog lover, I think you'll like this book.
Joni
True story of a twice divorced mom, her young son, and a puppy--a very determined beagle. The book takes you through the agonies of moving, sending a young son across country by himself on holidays to visit his father, keeping promises, buying a house, and many other adventures. It indeed is a story of life; life spiced up by a puppy who turns into a determined, misbehaving adolescent dog, adolescent boy, and how the maturing attitudes of all change over time.
Denise Taylor
I really enjoyed this boo. It is a story of a woman and her son growing together, along with 2 dogs and several cats, and a few men thrown in. Nice gentle read. Would have got more stars but I realized when I went to write a review on Amazon, that what I'd downloaded, thinking it was free, had cost me £8.75! My own fault for not checking but that is far to much to pay for an ebook, and it's even more now!
Sara
I love misbehaving dog books--not because they provide advice for me to deal with my own dog, but because they make me realize my dog ain't so bad after all. This book, although named after Freddie the beagle, is more about the life of the author and her family's emotional growth. It has laughter, tears, frustration, and love--all with a ribbon of zany pet antics woven through.
Pauline Tilbe
This was a fun book for me, a huge dog lover! I would sit back and say that I wish the ending had been better, with more resolution but then it's a true story and that's the difference, it doesn't always end neat and happy. There were several laught out loud moments for me but also some tears. This book was a great surprise to me.
Robin perez
It was more about her divorce and how she dealt with living on her own and being a single mom. The dog was the comic relief. It was a nice diversion to another book I was reading at the same time. It wasn't a book, that I couldn't put down. Enjoyable, sad, and funny. it isn't a book I would pay for. I received this free on my kindle.
Judith
This story is more about her own failed romantic relationships (and her human children) than her beagle Freddie. She missed the opportunity to let the readers really see and fall in love with Freddie. And for most of the book, Freddie's actions didn't seem that bad. Hello, he is a beagle!
Lahni
Mildly amusing at times but overall I had to force myself to keep reading it. It just never compelled me to pick it up. I have read better dog books and Freddie really is more of a secondary character even though the book is named after him. Actually, it was a waste of time.
Bonnie
This was a cute, quick read and enjoyable book about a divorced mom who is soon to become an empty-nester, her son, and a precocious beagle. Anyone who owns a dog can relate to the woman's plight with poor Freddie who becomes the family's saving grace by the end of the story.
Leeann
I liked this book, but I was really disappointed that this book wasn't about Freddie. This book is really about the author and her bad choices in men. Too bad, because, I think it would have been a much better book if it had stayed focused on Freddie.
timothy
BEAGLE STORY ? I

Not a touching beagle STORY. Mornings with Barney a beagle STORY. Dog Lived ( and So Will I ) a beagle STORY. A Dog Called Perth: The True Story of a Beagle. etc. Beagles storys.
Kevin
Boring. And it's not about the dog, whose a minor character at best. It's a memoir about the author, who apparently makes 3 bad choices everyday before she gets out of bed.
Linda
An easy and entertaining story to read about a single mother raising her son with the help of and sometimes in spite of the help received from their badly behaved beagle.
Brenda Freeman
If you have a beagle or love beagles, this is a must read. They have minds of their own and if you don't train them at the beginning things may not go as planned.
Tami Chappel
This was so cute. And I could really connect with the single mom who is a dog lover. Nice light read. I like memoirs, and I enjoyed this one.
Jack
Entertaining account of what happens when you bring a dysfunctional dog into a dysfunctional household = or a beagle into any household.
Vicki
Enjoying it so far. Like how she introspects between fixing her dog, and backward glimpses of how she couldn't fix her husbands.
Katie
Eat, pray, love meets Marley & me. Cute story, but the vet in me wanted to lecture the author in a few places! :)
S
I need something to help my brain recenter after reading "Short history..." This made me almost go brain dead.
Maryellen
This was a good read! If you like beagles or just pets in general you will like this story!
Trish Bodine
Very endearing story of a woman, children, exes, dogs, cats, and Freddie. :) Very good read.
Cindi Chase
Loved it

Must say that this was a very good book, filled with humor,love and understanding
  • Admit One: My Life in Film
  • A Child al Confino: A True Story of Escape in War-Time Italy
  • I Witch
  • Spooks and Magic (Alana Weatherbee, #2)
  • The Call of Zulina (Grace in Africa, #1)
  • The Beatles: Fifty Fabulous Years (Enhanced Edition)
  • A Dog Named Slugger
  • Disaster Status (Mercy Hospital, #2)
  • The Silver Ring
  • The Dog Who Healed a Family: And Other True Animal Stories That Warm the Heart & Touch the Soul
  • Gray Matter: A Neurosurgeon Discovers the Power of Prayer... One Patient at a Time
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • The Mudlark
  • The Shepherd
  • Spirit Thorn (A Tale of Parallel Worlds)
  • Edge of Grace
  • Soul of a Dog: Reflections on the Spirits of the Animals of Bedlam Farm
Plot Perfect: How to Build Unforgettable Stories Scene by Scene Fixing Freddie: A True Story about a Boy, a Single Mom, and the Very Bad Beagle Who Saved Them On Being Blonde: Wit and Wisdom from the World's Most Infamous Blondes Yes, We Can!: 365 Ways to Make America a Better Place Freddie - Ein Beagle räumt auf