Start by marking “The Lights Go On Again” as Want to Read:
The Lights Go On Again

The Lights Go On Again (Guests of War #3)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  1,277 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
For five years Gavin and his sister Norah have lived in Canada as "war guests." But now, as 1945 approaches, the war is finally ending, and Gavin and Norah will soon be going back to England Norah, who's fifteen, is eager to see her parents again, but ten-year-old Gavin barely remembers them. He doesn't want to leave his Canadian family, his two best friends and his dog.

Th
Published December 20th 1994 by Puffin Canada (first published May 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Lights Go On Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lights Go On Again

Amanda
Mar 16, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
writer...
Poignant third and final episode in the story series featuring children sent from England to Canada for safety during WWII.
Various personalities well drawn and authentic in different ages and in dealing with the effects of war. Inner struggles and emotional turmoil realistic to characters that held my attention as I anticipated changes and outcomes. Well written and a delight to have read this Canadian authored story of a part Canada played in a traumatic time of war.
Brian Kirk
May 10, 2017 Brian Kirk rated it it was amazing
I found this book and series a very good read. My wife suggested it to me as I am a an avid reader and will give most books a try. This book centres around the younger character in the series, he has some trying times going through adolescence growing up in a city that seems like home to him. The war ends and it looks like he is about to lose everything that he has come to know.
Kereesa
May 20, 2017 Kereesa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Kereesa by: Brenna and Candace
I was so worried when I started this, because it's written from Gavin's POV and not Norah's. But I definitely enjoyed and zoomed through this one just as quickly as the first two.
Kirsten
Aug 31, 2015 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Oh Gavin. You ridiculously adorable blonde-haired, blue-eyed, traumatized-by-war little boy, you.

This book is an excellent way to finish off Pearson's beautiful trilogy. It's definitely my least favourite of the three, only because it's Gavin-centric and I'm more a Norah girl, although #jokes in real life I'd totally be more of a Gavin. I think the issues in this one - that being memory, the concept of home, family (blood versus constructed), and belonging - are the most poignant and well constr
Miss Amanda
Jill
Jan 11, 2013 Jill rated it liked it
This book was better than the second, but nearly as good as the first. I liked the switch in focus from Norah to her younger brother Gavin, whose story really hasn't yet been told. However, I feel the author dropped by the ball here by not returning both of her young characters to England mid-way through the book and telling that part of the story, since the scope for story-telling there is rich and unexplored - how on earth would you adjust to returning to war-torn England after living in comfo ...more
Sylena Newman
Jan 20, 2015 Sylena Newman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march-15
WOW,WOW and WOW.I loved this book so much that I think I'm going to read the whole collection of kit Pearson's books. This book was basically about war. Gavin and Nora are sibblings who were sent to Toronto to be war guests. Gavin and Nora got to love the family they were with and make new friends and even a few crushes but soon the war was coming to an end and Gavin wasn't happy but Nora on the other hand was exited because she can go back home and see her parents.

The reason why I picked up the
Books Kids Like
Oct 06, 2013 Books Kids Like rated it really liked it
It’s been five years since Gavin and Norah have seen their family in England. Gavin, who was five when they left, doesn’t remember anything. As the war draws to its close, he fears leaving Aunt Florence and Toronto. How can he leave his best friends and his dog? How can he leave the only security he’s ever known? When a personal tragedy touches Norah and Gavin’s lives, Gavin must make the toughest decision of his life. Norah and Gavin’s characters are well-developed, and their personalities are ...more
Samantha
Apr 24, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it
Reread the trilogy this weekend. This was always my least favourite of the series, because I was always a little annoyed at the switch in perspectives from Norah to Gavin. As an adult, it's still my least favourite for that reason, but I can appreciate a lot better the importance of telling the story from his point of view, especially with the bombshell most of the plot hinges on. I also appreciate how it brings the series full circle, ending where we first met Norah at the beginning of The Sky ...more
Susann
Mar 15, 2009 Susann rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of WWII evacuee stories
The final volume of this excellent trilogy brings everything full circle. Norah and Gavin were 10 and 5 respectively when they left England to become "war guests" in Canada. Now Gavin is 10 and is as reluctant to leave his Canadian home as Norah was to leave her English one.
I like the complexities that Pearson brings to her characters. They struggle with guilt; with doubt; with wanting to do the right thing but still being kind of selfish about it. Pearson brings closure to the trilogy, but with
Allegra S
This was one of my favourite books as a kid, I read it in grade 3 and distinctly remember the part where Gavin wakes up because he didn't hear the milkman's bells and digs the family out of the snow. I also always loved the relationship between Gavin and his dog. This story is so touching and such a unique circumstance.
Daylight
Sep 08, 2012 Daylight rated it liked it
This series probably deserves more stars then I've given it. It is a very well written series and I would have given it more stars when I first read it as a kid but my tastes in books has seriously changed since then.
Raeesa
Apr 05, 2011 Raeesa rated it it was amazing
April 4, 2011: 5 stars
I love this book and I read it all the time.

July 23, 2013: 5 stars
Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon.
this book was so sad.....but so real and deep! Gavin really has to make a choice of a lifetime...something you can't take lightly.
Alison
Apr 05, 2009 Alison is currently reading it
the series is good
Erin
Nov 02, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok
I recall not liking this book as much because it was more about the younger brother Gavin than his sister Norah. I felt it an odd move as I had never felt close to the former as I had to the latter.
Caitlin Langelier
Nov 25, 2016 Caitlin Langelier rated it it was amazing
Never shies away from harsh feelings, but also full of laughter and heart. Always go to Kit Pearson for stories about real kids with real emotions.
Raven Erlenbach
Dec 15, 2014 Raven Erlenbach rated it really liked it
This one is perhaps my least favorite of the three books, as the it changes points of view from Norah to Gavin, but it was still a really good read.
Adanna
Sep 24, 2013 Adanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like how the series changes perspective.
Antoni
Nov 08, 2010 Antoni rated it it was amazing
This book still resonates in my memory after reading it in elementary school.
Jacquie
Jan 15, 2014 Jacquie rated it really liked it
The last in the war trilogy series. It was a great ending.
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2014
Rachel Harris
Rachel Harris rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2012
recoveringreader
recoveringreader rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Ariel
Ariel rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2008
Iris
Iris rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2013
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Erendira Lara
Erendira Lara rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2015
  • From Anna
  • The Hollow Tree
  • Lisa's War (Lisa's War, #1)
  • Janey's Girl
  • With Nothing But Our Courage: The Loyalist Diary of Mary MacDonald (Dear Canada)
  • A Prairie as Wide as the Sea: The Immigrant Diary of Ivy Weatherall (Dear Canada)
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • The Balloon Tree
  • A Promise is a Promise
  • Angela's Airplane
  • Who Is Frances Rain?
  • Underground to Canada
  • Alone in an Untamed Land: The Filles Du Roi Diary of Helene St. Onge (Dear Canada)
  • Red Is Best
  • Trapped in Ice
Kit Pearson spent her childhood between Edmonton Alberta and Vancouver, British Columbia. As a high-school student, she returned to Vancouver to be educated at Crofton House School. She obtained a degree in English Literature at the University of Alberta, and spent several years following the degree doing odd jobs or travelling in Europe.
In 1975, she began her Library degree at the University of B
More about Kit Pearson...

Guests of War (3 books)
  • The Sky Is Falling (The Guests of War Trilogy, #1)
  • Looking At The Moon (The Guests of War Trilogy, #2)