Start by marking “Charon's Landing” as Want to Read:
Charon's Landing

Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,051 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Years ago, a secret Soviet plan was created to destroy the Alaskan oil pipeline. Now, those plans have been stolen by the brilliant and treacherous ex-KGB agent Ivan Kerikov. Joining forces with a powerful Arab oil minister, Charon's Landing is about to be unleashed at last. But they didn't count on the one man who possesses the determination and daring to stop them cold. ...more
Published January 3rd 2006 by Onyx Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Charon's Landing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charon's Landing

Paul
Jun 17, 2015 Paul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another cheap potboiler du Brul has apparently written to a formula. There are so many action scenes in this one, it makes the reader weary. How a geologist can survive that many attempts on his life, with bullets, blows and every other type of assault du Brul could imagine, is way beyond reality. The premise itself is so implausible it is almost laughable. And a SEAL team that would let him join them in an operation???

du Brul, who has written for Cussler, uses the same old formula again: consta
Anna Mari
An older book, we find a Russia with a vendetta against Mercer and a thirst to sabotage the US even though the cold war is over. Charon's Landing is a cold war era plan to destroy the Alaska Pipeline with modern elements added by the evil mind of Ivan Kerkikov. Mercer stumbles onto the plot after finding a fishing boat adrift in the seas around Alaska that had been burned. Enter pretty environmentalist Aggie Johnson and there is enough tension to cut with a knife. Big fight scenes, adventure and ...more
Barbara
Philip Mercer, DuBrul's hero, returns to fight KGB assassin Ivan Kerilkov in this densely written but action-packed thriller. People double- and triple-cross each other in the convoluted plot. Mercer works with the US government, who want to open the Arctic Wildlife Refuge for offshore drilling, much to the consternation of eco-terrorist group PEAL.

The book suffers from overkill (in some cases, literally). There are too many characters to realistically keep track of. The science is sound, to the
Ty
May 27, 2012 Ty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i have really enjoyed other books in the Mercer series by Du Brul, but it really felt like the author mailed this one in. "Charon's Landing" is set up as a sequel to "Vulcan's Forge" (which was pretty good), with the return of the bad Russian and everything. however, the nature of the plot against America and humanity was so convoluted, i found it hard to get into the story. the addition of the gratuitous most-beautiful-woman-in-the-world, who happens to be an evil billionaire's daughter and imm ...more
Doloris Dutton
No matter how much money you have it can not buy you complete happiness. This is a story about how an geologist and an old adversary, a former KGB agent, whom he thought was out of his life for ever came back to haunt him in this latest adventure. The scene starts out with Mercer on a fishing trip with friends, who were showing him their new invention,the mini-mole, where it would dig its way through a mountain by programming the GPS.After the demonstration they went on a fishing trip where they ...more
Lee
The second Phillip Mercer novel finds him trying to stop an environmental disaster as ex- KGB and environmentalist groups are trying to blow apart the Alaskan Pipeline. Mercer gets in the middle of it when he is the sole survivor of an ill fated fishing trip. Ok read
Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Scott
Jan 20, 2014 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a Clive Cussler co-author. I expected a similar writing style but Du Bruls super hero Philip Mercer is so over the top that is distracts from the story. Also, Du brul makes numerous innacuracies in his discriptions of Alaska and maritime details. Very disappointed by this book. I won't read any more Du Brul books.
Robert Kradoska
May 23, 2015 Robert Kradoska rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phillip Mercer is amazing
Candy
Oct 03, 2015 Candy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Lots of action - really liked Mercer and Aggie. I love being entertained when I read. This book kept my attention the whole way through. I especially like it when good wins out over evil. Even though evil keeps showing up...
Jason
Jun 02, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun books
DonHSr
Mar 24, 2015 DonHSr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this whole series is good reading.
Elizabeth Abney
I read this on the recommendation that if I liked Clive Cussler I would like this series. Well, Mercer is definitely a clone of Pitt (simply substitute Geology for Oceanography), though not as likable or well-written. The story was standard adventure novel fare, but the self-indulgent writing style kept pulling me out of the story. I may read other books in this series, but they won’t be at the top of my list.

Borrowed from a friend.
Paul W. Nielsen
Jan 24, 2014 Paul W. Nielsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast paced fun adventure story. A good read.
Leasha
Writing wise, this is pretty bottom-of-the-barrel; it gets nearly top marks for its convoluted, escapist, action-filled plot. It was completely ridiculous of course, and the love interest but was fully gratuitous, but hey, I was entertained. This isn't the best of Philip Mercer though.
Hristina Ivanova
This was my second attempt to read and enjoy a Du Brul book and it was as insuccessful as the fisrt one.This book was a very boring read for me.The story just didn't intrigue me at all.I jyst didn't want to sit down and read,which is very strange and rarely happens to me. In a nutshell-I'm not impressed and I'm not sure how long will it be,before I reach to a Du Brul book again.
Jack
Apr 18, 2010 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is definitly early Mercer (there were a fair number of typo's in the copy I read), he gets beat up alot but somehow manages to still win his battles, travel far and wide through Alaska to thwart a plot to distroy the pipeline, while assisting the derailing of a plot to overthrow one of the OPEC royal families. Good action and premis, just a bit thin in believability . . .
James
Apr 17, 2015 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second in the series continues the high quality of the first book introducing Philip Mercer. His circl of friends is unusual and interesting. Will definitely read more.
John Mac
Jun 21, 2015 John Mac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another well written and exciting entry in the Phillip Mercer series from Jack Du Brul. The first book was great and thus one is even better.
Mason
Jun 05, 2008 Mason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
This was the second Phillip Mercer book that I've read. I like the character and the way Jack BuBrul writes. If you like Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt Stories, you will like this author's books too.
Sheldon Lehman
It wasn't QUITE as good as the last one. It took almost a third of the book for the story to really take off. Once it did, it was vintage Du Brul.
Bill Donhiser
Took about 150 pages before it took off after that a very good adventure read looking forward to another Phillip Mercer adventure
Brian Krause
Nov 21, 2013 Brian Krause rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good action story. Enjoyed the characters, even if the hero is bit far-fetched....well-written and entertaining nonetheless.
Shannon
Jun 13, 2013 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was too slow for me. The scenario was good, but it took me forever to finish. It never fully grabbed my attention.
Logan Weatherly
I couldn't not get into this one. I got half way through and it took me a long time for that. Did not even finish it.
Ruth
good. similar to Cussler. lots of action and death defying situations. Mercer figures things out a little too easily.
Eric
Aug 23, 2011 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started a bit slow for the genre but enjoyed the book as it went along. I will be reading more Jack Du Brul.
Mark
Feb 18, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech-thriller
I like the Philip Mercer character and his sidekick...right up my Clive Cussler/James Rollins alley
Bob
Feb 05, 2014 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but after reading several by this author they become kind of predictable.
Ronald
May 11, 2016 Ronald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a little bit of a come down from Mercer #1.
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • Corsair (The Oregon Files, #6)
  • Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)
  • Primeval (Event Group Thriller #5)
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
  • Dourado (Dane Maddock #1)
  • Wild Justice
  • Out of the Ashes (Ashes, #1)
  • Pirate (Stratton, #7)
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
Jack DuBrul is a New York Times Best-Selling Author from Vermont who writes techno thrillers. Recently, he has been co-authoring "The Oregon Files" novels with Clive Cussler, taking over from Craig Dirgo with the third novel.
More about Jack Du Brul...

Philip Mercer (8 books)
  • Vulcan's Forge (Philip Mercer, #1)
  • The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer, #3)
  • Pandora's Curse (Philip Mercer #4)
  • River Of Ruin (Philip Mercer, #5)
  • Deep Fire Rising (Philip Mercer, #6)
  • Havoc (Philip Mercer, #7)
  • The Lightning Stones (Philip Mercer, #8)