Start by marking “Der Clan Der Vampire” as Want to Read:
Der Clan Der Vampire

Der Clan Der Vampire

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Darel Ericson of the Dahanavar clan is a rarity among his vampire brethren: he’s an empath, strong enough to occasionally read thought as well as emotion. For centuries, his power has given the Dahanavar a significant advantage against the machinations of the other vampire families, an advantage which makes Darel both a powerful tool and a highly visible target.

Fortunately
Published February 28th 2001 by Heyne

To ask other readers questions about Der Clan Der Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Clan Der Vampire

Vicky
Winner of Russia’s highest literary award for fantasy fiction, this is definitely not a quick teen read. There is none of the teen angst so prevalent in most of the current vampire novels. This is dark, almost gothic in flavor with a high level of writing not usually seen in “pulp” fiction. The world building/mythology is complex with vivid descriptions. The characters are well-developed without stereotyping. It is a beautifully written story that will appeal to lovers of higher level fantasies. ...more
Lannister
This book is nothing like your typical urban fantasy story. There is no feisty heroine tackling an evil threat to the world, and the romance is extremely understated. Instead, the story revolves around several vampire clans and their rivalries and plotting against each other. The central character, Darel, is a 'scanner' or a kind of telepath or empath, who can pick up on others' thoughts and feelings. Darel is feeling somewhat jaded by all the negative emotion he constantly encounters, so when h ...more
Niki Sorensen
Happy Dance! An Advanced Uncorrected Proof of "Twilight Forever Rising", by Lena Meydan, arrived on my doorstep today. I am so excited to start reading it. Hear that noise? That's me, running for a lovely beverage, privacy, AND "Twilight Forever Rising".

Halfway through this book right now. I'd probably be finished already, but it is written intelligently, and I am taking my time reading each chapter. I expected a fluffy vampire novel, but this is more complex, and very well written. Not that a f
Elke
Dieses Buch hat sofort meine Neugier geweckt: ein Vampirroman aus Russland? Das verspricht (hoffentlich) Abwechslung von den ueblicherweise amerikanischen Blutsaugerstories. Bisher kannte ich aus russischer Feder nur die Waechter-Romane von Sergej Lukianenko, und die waren richtig gut und anders. Die Sprache - ok, in der Uebersetzung veraendert sich die Sprache natuerlich - fuehlt sich immer ein bisschen kalt und sachlich an, ist aber gleichzeitig komplex und faszinierend in ihrer Wortwahl und S ...more
Cindy
While this book is ever so much an urban fantasy of sorts it really is a unique vampire novel. The whole focus of the book is on the several vampire houses and the politics that come with being a vampire in they year 2000 or so.

All vampires in this novel are three dimentional, have drama in their lives, love, fight and seek to be the top of the world.

However, this novel should come with an extreme warning. Here are the warnings.

1. It is very very slow to start. So painstakingly slow that I am
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
4.5/5.0 stars.

This was a gripping read. I need to find the next book because I'm hooked now. Full review to be posted on the Bitten by Books website: http://bittenbybooks.com.
Mandy Kava Kava
Wie hier schon öfter erwähnt, ist dies wirklich ein Buch auf das man sich einlassen muss. Durch den Schreibstil und die Komplexität der Geschichte ist dies kein Buch das man eben so herunterlesen kann.
Was einerseits anstrengend und anfangs schwer zu überblicken war habe ich später sehr geschätzt. Die ausführlich beschriebenen verschiedenen Clans konnte ich mir zu Beginn gar nicht recht merken, doch später als ich in diese Welt weiter eintauchen konnte, machte es mir die Spannungen unter den Clan
Jen.
It took a good deal of time to get into this book. So many characters and such a new world, it took a while to fully understand them.

There are competing vampire houses that are busy plotting, conspiring, and working with each other. Darel Ericson of the Dahanavar clan is an empath, is the leading figure in the book. He becomes attached to a human female. Being an empath, being around humans keeps him from feeling void like all the rest of his blood brothers. The human becomes his weakness, somet
Anju
Disclaimer: I received a free Advance Uncorrected Proof from TOR Books.

Twilight Forever Rising, by Lena Meydan, is a really good book with a really unfortunate title. Everyone to whom I mentioned this book seemed to think it was part of the Stephanie Meyer series, and it doesn’t help that this book is also about vampires. Twilight Forever Rising isn’t without its faults, but it’s definitely an enjoyable and absorbing read.

Vampire stories seem to almost require having a male vampire who falls in
Cedar
Every now and then you find an Author you really enjoy. In this case I thoroughly enjoyed her style of writing and how she re-wrote the classic vampire mythology while still treating it with respect.

The story centers around Darel Ericson of the Dahanavar clan. Although the perspective switches from vampire to vampire, giving the reader an all over glimpse of the way this particular vampire world runs. Darel is an Empath. His clans interests lie in politics and as such he is a very important and
Jessica
Originally published in Russia in 2005, Twilight Forever Rising tells the story of Darel Ericson of the Dahanavar clan. Darel is a “scanner” for his family–an empath, and so strong that he can also sometimes read the thoughts of those around him. The Dahanavar use his abilities while dealing with the other powerful vampire clans, both to gain the upper hand in political maneuverings and to rent him as an asset while the other clans broker agreements.

Darel finds himself quite taken with a young h
Once Upon
The story begins with Darel, who is an empath and the center of a war between four powerful supernatural families. Darel falls in love with a human girl, Loraine which adds more problems to the current situation. With the families at the very brink of war and his undying love for Loraine, Darel is forced to make a very hard decision.

Bodea
I think Twilight Forever Rising's biggest problem is that a lot gets lost in translation and it's quite obviuous, at least to me. Also, it's a little too long on the description in parts (ok, a lot of parts). The story centers arounds four powerful supernatural families that are on the very brink of war and all that's needed is that final push. Darel, our main character, is at the center of it all. He's a empath that finds himself falling for a human girl and this only adds to his list of proble ...more
Elizabeth
Twilight Forever Rising takes place in a world of vampires that is dominated by family “Houses” that imbue their members with skills and magic specific to their vampire lineage. The story follows the vampire Darel, an empath of the house of Dahanavar as he navigates through the political intrigue of rival houses struggling for power and domination. Darel’s love for a human girl complicates things as he tries to stay above the fray.

As the first book of a series, Meydan does a good job of introduc
Jennifer Monzon
When I began reading this book it was difficult to follow. It’s full of translations, and all these types of different vampire families and their war against each other, which made it difficult to follow/remember who belongs to who and what their stories are in the plot. However, it’s a very well written book and I enjoyed learning about a whole new world of vampires and their special powers and the story explains all of this through the plot and not any introductions, which I thought was unique ...more
Katywhumpus
Published in Russian in 2005 (the same year as that other vampire book with a similar title), and slated for release in English in September 2010, this is the tale of a young sensitive vampire who battles other clans (including a pack of werewolves) to save the life of a human girl he has fallen for. It does contain much more political intrigue and a more diverse cast than similar tales. It is thankfully lacking in teenage angst. And a higher level of writing results in a much darker - unsparkly ...more
Michelle Tucker
I received Twilight Forever Rising from a Goodreads giveaway.

When I first started reading this book, I found it quite difficult to get into the story line. Perhaps I was thinking it'd be a much "lighter" vampire book due to the title. If you can get past the first couple of chapters, and get into the relationship between the main character "Darel Ericson" and Loraine, you might enjoy it. Don't expect a lot of vampire cheese with this one.

I did enjoy learning about the different "groups" but ha
April
This book took a bit of time to really get into. There are several "houses" of vampires all working with and against each other. It is like politics! There were several chapters about specific people of each house, so I could get to know and understand them.

Darel and Chris, my two favorites! Once all the chess pieces were set in place the game started and what a game, the last 150 pages flew by! Unfortunately, I was left wanting more of the story. It ended by the chess game goes on.....
Leigh
Twilight Forever Rising was an enjoyable enough story, but not an easy read. There was a several different clans of vampires that had different talents. It definitely took some focus to keep this part of the story straight. The book starts out a little slow. It is a good story that give you a hopeful ending. It's a book that I would borrow from a library versus purchase as I probably will not reread it.
Tru
May 29, 2014 Tru marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I went to my old house to pick up a package. What could it have been? An advanced uncorrected proof of Twilight Forever Rising by Lena Meydan! My first win from Goodreads giveaways. I'm so excited to start! It will take me a while to finish since the semester has started and classes are already kicking my butt, but I'm happy because I'll get to slowly read it and take it all in.

I'll finish this up once I'm done.
Jenny
This is a free book from the Goodreads First Reads giveaways!
I had some trouble sinking my teeth (oh, sorry - bad pun) into this vampire story. The writing was good and the characters were interesting, but the plot meandered and had no closure whatsoever. I enjoyed learning about the different houses/philosophies of the various vampire families in this particular tale.
Michael
First Reads win.

This was one of the few books that I can say I felt truly neutral about. I didn't love it nor hate it, and found it just interesting enough to keep reading it. If your looking for a half-decent vampire/human love story that could qualify as quality literature and lacks a fan base consisting of over-hormonal teenage fan girls, this is for you.
Anna
This was an incredibly powerfully written book. While it's introducing you to a whole new world, it never feels like it because it's teaching you through plot, not instruction. The mythology is beautiful and precise, tying together things that I've always seen defined separately. The characters are complex but easy to empathize with. I loved it.
Lora Mays
I thought this was a good read... a vampire book with a bigger focus on the lives/internal world of the vampires. It was pretty in depth with the different vampire families, but still enjoyable to read. Translated from Russian, which makes the names make more sense. Hope it's a success in the US!
Danielle
has NOTHING to do with THAT twilight... Took a while for me to get into the book, which might in part be translation issues. Not sure I'm going to continue the series, but there are definitely some interesting things going on, and translation or no, it's still better than that other book....
Katy Budget Books
Anna's pick. I really enjoyed her world-building. You never even realized you were being introduced to an entirely separate universe like you often do in first sci-fi novels. She incorporated so many different things into the same mythology, and it's fascinating.
James Martinez
This book introduces you to a very interrupt world full of history and dark power. I am looking forward to reading more about this world in the future.
Katherine Tomlinson
This novel begins an epic tale of vampires in a city that's not set in a specific place but seems to be a Soviet-era Moscow. Excellent beginning.
Erica
I technically quit this book. It was boring, and that saddens me. I really wanted to like it. Maybe one day I will be able to finish it.
Sarah Vela
I just couldn't connect with this book at all. It took me a long ten days to get through it. Where I had to force myself to read it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Silverweed: A Supernatural Fairy Tale (Volume 1)
  • The Office of Shadow
  • The Werewolf's Kiss (Voodoo Moon, #1)
  • The Curse of Four (Black London, #4.5)
  • Hamlet's Father
  • The Scar-Crow Men (Swords of Albion, #2)
  • No Hero
  • The Wolf Age (Morlock Ambrosius, #3)
  • Haven (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #4)
  • Blue and Gold
  • Mortality Bridge
  • Blood Prophecy
  • Ares Express
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)
  • Intervamption (Vampires of Crimson Bay, #1)
  • Demonstorm (Legends of the Raven, #3)
  • Ghosts of War (The Ghost, #2)
  • Candle Bay