The Englisher

The Englisher (Annie's People #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  4,463 ratings  ·  150 reviews
Will Annie's intention to join the Amish church be derailed by the attention from a handsome Englisher? Annie's People book 2.
ebook
Published May 1st 2006 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Englisher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Englisher

Sunny
Jun 09, 2010 Sunny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that enjoys reading about the amish way of life
Recommended to Sunny by: just came across the author once again
I recently started to read Beverly Lewis once again. I started the Annie's People series, I realized immediately why I so enjoyed her books so many years ago. Her style of Amish storytelling is incredible and pulls you right into the Amish way of life. Book one stayed with me until I finished it and then truly couldn't wait to start book two and I am currently on book three. The first of the two books that I have read recently has gave me a wonderfully warm return to continue to the next book. I...more
Toni
This book picks right up where the first book left off. Lou is still living with Annie's family. Annie has made a deal with her father not to paint. The story centers around the new beaus that enter both Lou & Annie's lives and how being part or not part of the Amish community is complicating things. I think the first night that I picked this book up, I read half of it and finished it within a couple days. Once again a lovely book from Beverly Lewis.
Lynda
Having read the first book in this trilogy, I was prepared for the story not to have closure. Although I felt answers to quite a few things this time that I did not have at the end of "The Preacher's Daughter".

I can't WAIT to read the last in the trilogy, "The Brethren".

Beverly Lewis is a good writer. And I'm so looking forward to the true answer of what happened to little Isaac.

The Englisher deals with the subject of battered wives. Given the strong belief, part of the Ordung, that the husband...more
Kristine
Book 2 in the Annie's People series.

I am loving this series. The characters are so interesting, I love Annie and Louisa, and even Ben and Sam. We gain a lot of insight into how the women are treated vs. the men, and that's pretty interesting. I can't wait to see how the next story in the series goes, I hope it will turn out happy :)
Mary Devine
Nov 27, 2007 Mary Devine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Second book of Annie's people series. Scene is an Amish community but there is mystery. And the cute guy on the cover is part of the mystery which is not answered in this book but adds more to the mystery and questions surrounding the mysterious events that happened 16 years prior.
Dayna
First, I have to say I am glad I took the risk to continue this interesting series by Beverly Lewis. It was hard to get through at first, having the main character be so ignorant to the truth about having a personal relationship with the Lord (Her people believe it is prideful to consider yourself saved). But, only pages away from the end, *possible spoiler* Annie finally made a decision for herself, which gives me hope that she will soon accept a faith relationship with Our Savior and return to...more
Emi Rose
Okay! I LOOOOOOOOOOOVED this book! I'm cant wait to find out what happens!!! I'm reading the third book now!
Maura
Wonderful wholesome love stories from amish country.
Ashley
From my book review blog: www.addbookreviews.blogspot.com

I have a mixed review here. I have a lot of the same feelings about this book as I did the first book of this trilogy. Lewis's writing can be a little boring or a little too "goodie-two-shoes" sometimes, but I know that going into her books. I wish some of the characters were a little more real. They just don't hook me like some of the other authors I enjoy.

In this second book of the series "Annie's People," Lewis focuses mostly on her rel...more
Christina
I eagerly snatched up the second book in Lewis’ Annie’s People series, The Englisher, after the first book, The Preacher’s Daughter, left me yearning for more. This sequel picks up right where The Englisher left off, but don’t expect The Englisher to solve all problems left from The Preacher’s Daughter — it answers none and only adds more.

Annie has promised her father she would never paint again and would take the kneed, baptismal acceptance of her faith, but she begins to fall for the Englisher...more
Annette
Got this as an audio book for the car and found myself saying "Really?" too often for comfort. There is a way in which Lewis writes from a juvenile perspective- creating cliched, trite "realizations"for her adult characters.
While I appreciated the peek into Amish life, I thought the writing bland and many of the situations ridiculous.
Mayda
Annie’s story continues in this second book in the Annie’s People trilogy. Her secret work as an artist has been discovered by her preacher father, and he has extracted a promise from her to give it up totally for six months. Complications in her life include her friendship with her long-time English pen pal and her developing romance with Ben, an Englisher. Ben’s family has recently revealed secrets about his own past that will affect Annie’s community, if the facts as presented prove to be tru...more
J.N.
Things get more complicated at Paradise in the world of the Amish. Annie has managed to faithfully put an end to her artwork for the sake of her father and the church but begins to fall for Englisher, Ben Martin. Meanwhile, Annie's English friend Louisa, who is still staying with her and her family, finds herself falling for an Amish man. Annie's friend, Esther, who is staying with a Mennonite couple because of her abusive husband finds herself shunned for her salvation in the Lord, which is see...more
Kate Zubaly
Good book
i enjoy the simplicity of there attractions and how life can be seen in a different culture till you walk in their shoes, plus how some people can understand others interest even if they do not match there own....
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

The Englisher is the second in a three book series. I have already read the first and last in the series so this book simply filled in the gaps. I suppose that if I hadn't already read the conclusion I would desperately want to know if Zeke really did kill little Isaac all of those years ago and what was wrong with Zeke in the first place. Since I already know the outcome of all of those questions this book wans't as compelling as I think it would have been otherwise...more
I did NOT like this book. Don't bother reading it; you'll be disappointed. The author set up lots of foreshadowing and dropped the ball completely. It left am empty taste in my mouth. In the end nothing happens to any of the charters. They all pretty much dismiss all their experiences. There is no resolution. AND all the romantic pairings split up. So pointless!

Oh wait! I just noticed that this is book #2 of a trilogy..okay, it makes more sense reading the synopses of the other two books. I bet...more
Alecia
Ach, it was over to quick!!! I wasn't expecting zeke to do what he did!!! And I already so miss Lou! Here's to hoping the brethren plays out the way I think it's going to
Alecia Burrows
very good book. i love reading stories on the amish almost more than i enjoy reading any other faith based books there is something innocent about them
Robyn
Aug 04, 2008 Robyn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Robyn by: Amanda Tucker
Shelves: fiction
My LONG review for all 3 books is written for book 3, The Brethren. I loved this 2nd one though, very much, because you can start to see where the mysteries and relationships and families will go...who is who and connected to who. I love reading these Amish series and feel like the characters are really alive in Lancaster County, PA; it would be quite an experience to go live with them, or be related to someone there and have the chance to spend a month working and quilting and canning and inter...more
Darlene Roy
So many changes and situations with Annie, Ben, and Lou leave you hanging and wanting more. Must rush to The Brethren to see what happens next. I love this series.
I completely blasted through this book. Unfortunately when I do this, I remember very little except the basic plot. I did get frustrated because I figured out the big “surprise” of the series at the end of the first book – I think maybe that was intentional, but still… The only thing left for the last book in this series is whether or not everyone ends up Amish or not. However, I think the storyline of Esther and Zeke is interesting mainly because I would never think of an Amish husband being ab...more
Michael
As the second in the trilogy I found this book a little weaker than the first. The characters were as engaging as ever but the plot turned in ways I thought a little unrealistic.

Having said that, the story and the multiple plot lines kept my interest. I kept getting the feeling Lewis painted herself into a corner so I'm interested in seeing how this works out in the third book.

As with the first book, I was disappointed that there was not a resolution at the end of the story. The epilogue change...more
Jeannette
Oh. The story is getting good. Surprised at the endings. Not predictable. Anxious to finish the series!
Dani
I listened to the abridged audio CD version of this title.

This was a pretty good book. It kept my attention, mainly because I knew where the author was going and I wanted her to hurry up and get there so I could see how she wrote the climactic scenes. There are some tragic events in this trilogy, but they don't punch you in the gut.

The audio production was better in this book than in "The Preacher's Daughter". The reader announced the title at the beginning of the first disc, and there was outro...more
PWRL
Apr 07, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
J
Things are getting dark in Amish country ... the second book in the series delves deeper into domestic abuse, sexual inequality & the shun - exposing a dark underside of Amish life. While the first book sets up the situation, this book sees a lot of action & major decisions.

Amish life feels a bit like a cult or controlled compound life, rather than a cute, innocent lifestyle. Well written, but not comforting like most of Lewis’s books. It left me feeling a bit angry and agitated.

Victoria
What an excellent book! This shows the struggles that one would have between the world they know as safe and well adjusted to and the world that you may feel drawn to. Louisa and Annie each have men in their lives that they are interested in. At the same time the story unravels of a murder in the Amish town of Paradise! I loved the descriptions. I truly FELT the characters and was able to grasp their perspectives and have a fight within myself as I read it!
This book is the second in the series of Annie's people. Again, the story is set in a relaxing environment, but this time the author makes the reader question the Amish ways. Why are they so set against Christianity? How can they believe parts of the Bible but not other parts? It is a very interesting book that brings up interesting discussions about various beliefs. i really liked it and i love the characters she puts in the books.
Merileemackay
Dec 08, 2008 Merileemackay rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gentle Romance Fans
Recommended to Merileemackay by: Mom
Now this is not a pulitzer contender. But I loved reading this. I had such a good time with these characters and the story. I love a good romance that gives you a little vacation. It was one that I didn't want to put down. I've read several of Lewis' works. While they can be slightly preachy, they don't tend to be too pushy, and I enjoyed seeing the religious philosophies of some of the Menoninite and Amish characters.
Sue  Getzel
This series gets better and better. Again, the story is very sweet. Oh for the simple Amish life! I just want to disappear to Paradise (the setting for the story) and become an artist like Lou and Annie. Actually, the author creates more tension and drama in this book than I expected, so on to the third book (The Brethren) as soon as my reading time allows. Yes, I'm hooked.
  • A Sister's Test (Sisters of Holmes County, #2)
  • When the Morning Comes (Sisters of the Quilt, #2)
  • Plain Pursuit (Daughters of the Promise, #2)
  • Rachel's Garden (Pleasant Valley, #2)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous best...more
More about Beverly Lewis...
The Shunning (The Heritage of Lancaster County, #1) The Covenant (Abram's Daughters, #1) The Betrayal (Abram's Daughters, #2) The Sacrifice (Abram's Daughters, #3) The Prodigal (Abram's Daughters, #4)