Start by marking “The Legacy: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Legacy: A Novel

The Legacy: A Novel

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  524 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Financially strapped Cole Egan is banking all he has on his future at Gilchrist & Company, one of New York's most powerful brokerage houses. Everything changes when he receives a telephone call from a stranger, informing him that his father is dead. His legacy is even more disturbing: a key to a safe deposit box that contains a secret tape of the John F. Kennedy assass ...more
Published July 1st 1998 by Dutton Adult (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legacy

Richard
Yet another 5-star thrilling novel from Stephen Frey. A good plot, involving a tape of the Kennedy assassination but from the opposite direction of the famous Zabruder cine film. This is not another Kennedy assassination conspiracy story although the events of the assassination seen in the tape form the backbone of the rest of the book. It is a thrilling tale of murder, espionage, undercover agents, political subterfuge, double-dealing and a whole load of twists and turns. My only negative is th ...more
Helen
This is the revelation of the conspiracy that murdered J.F. Kennedy. What is it about Kennedy that makes everyone want to write about the "real" conspiracy, the unrevealed conspiracy, the covered up conspiracy, the lack of a conspiracy involved in his death? In this version it was the mafia and the scum bags among the politicians who brought it about so that they could control what was happening and thereby line their own pockets. The sequence of political effects is confusing because what the a ...more
Annette
I read this book many years ago and remembered that is was a really good novel that kept me at the edge of my seat. A real "page-turner." So I decided to read it again. And I wasn't disappointed!

Our hero Cole Egan is a self-made man having been raised by his aunt and uncle after his mother died when he was 1 yr. old. His father left him with relatives and only drops into his life every other once-in-a-while. Cole finds out that his father has died and left him with a safe-deposit key. In that sa
Gerald Kinro
Cole Egan is sinking securities trader in New York—losing money and deeply in debt. Then he inherits a videotape from his estranged father. This videotape is one of the President Kennedy assassination taken from a different angle than what is familiar. It clearly shows that there was a second gunman. While there is money to be made, there is danger, for there are those who want the tape for their own financial reasons and those who wish to keep it suppressed. The drama involves the highest level ...more
Buckeye_reader
When I read the first few lines about what the book would be about, I almost stopped. But, I kept on and that did not play that big a part in the book - the fast pace and twist and turns kept it moving and enjoyable.
Christine F
Author's writing/style/plot resembles a combination of Grisham and Ludlam.
Jeffrey Granat
Awesome book. Finished in 2 hours. Couldn't put it down. Highly recommended.
Lee
This book starts with Cole Egan getting notified at work that his father is dead and he needs to go to a safety deposit box to pick up his inheritance. When he goes to the box all it contains is a video tape when watching it he sees a video of another angle of the JFK assassination. This opens a can of worms as people are now trying to kill Egan to get the tape and the bodies start dropping. Okay read.
Matt
I have oft wondered about the JFK conspiracies about what really happened if they happened at all. I would like to believe yes there was a second gunman on the grassy knawl and this is what Stephen Frey was capable of making it quite the possibility. A great journey and action packed, and one hell of a twist!! Two thumbs up!!
Fyreball13
I'm a sucker for historical fiction. This book is essentially about what would happen if an every day guy got ahold of the "other" angle of the Kennedy Assassination. In short, all hell breaks loose. I'd rank this among one of the better historical fiction books that I've read, Ludlum's stuff included. (Yes, I like Ludlum).
Ronald Howell
Did not read wasn't interested in story line. Another Kennedy assassination story.
T.J. Bronley
Fast paced, awesome thrilling read. I liked the conspiracy theory technique used in the story. I enjoyed the twists and turns. It's been a few years since I read it, but this was the book that made me a Stephen Frey fan. It was well told and had a great plot hook. What if...?
Jaime
This was just alright. There’s double-crossing, fake double-crossing, and double-double-crossing. The action seems written more for a movie screen. And Cole makes a couple of deductive leaps that don’t really make sense. It was good to pass the time with, but not for much more.
Lindsay Wolsey
So, I've read a lot on the Kennedy assassination, and a fair amount of conspiracy books. And I've seen every episode of the X-files. I thought this book had a good premise, but that it was executed a little predictably.
Jaypee
This is the first Stephen Frey book that I have read. And judging from my initial reaction and response, I got hooked. Stephen Frey narration is precise with his dialogue never failing into a " wobbly mess".
Terri Mandel
My first book by this author. I loved it. I could not put it down. I have been scouring the used book stores ever since and have found 2 more - the Day Trader and The Chairman.
Joshua Taylor
An entertaining, quick read but fairly forgettable. Characters are thinly drawing and several of the "big twists" are rather heavy-handedly hinted at throughout the book.
Ricardo
A big pot full of just about everything the author could throw in. It's entertaining but Frey's plot bites much more than what his writing can chew
Jan
A well written page-turner about the JFK asassination theory with well-defined characters that you can finish in a day.
Marge
Son inherits a tape showing another shooter on the grassy knoll in Dallas--lots of twists and turns in this story.
Grant
Excellent writing and fine, fast moving story about antiterrorist government agencies.
CHi
It's an airport book. Pretty fluffy but well-paced.
Sheila
Pretty good beginning but disappointing ending
Marie Martin
Good yarn - very twisty turny!
Shirley
It was hard to put down, lots of twists
Kathy
JFK coverup tape
Rosa
Rosa marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
  • The Bormann Testament (Paul Chavasse #1)
  • Most Secret
  • The Iron Horse
  • Abba Abba
  • The Killing House (Malcolm Fletcher, #1)
  • William Tell Told Again
  • Through The Magic Door
  • Delusion: A Novel of Suspense
  • Mr. Sampath--the Printer of Malgudi
For the last 15 years I’ve been lucky enough to be a novelist. Until recently the books were set in the worlds of Wall Street and Washington. In addition to writing, I’ve also had a career in finance with specialties including merger & acquisition advisory and private equity at firms like J.P. Morgan in New York City and Winston Partners just outside D.C. in northern Virginia.

So, it seemed na
More about Stephen W. Frey...
The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1) The Day Trader The Protégé (Christian Gillette, #2) Arctic Fire (Red Cell Series, Book 1) The Vulture Fund