Start by marking “Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success” as Want to Read:
Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success

Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success

Are you taking long lunches? Ignoring sexual harassment? Do you keep your desk neat to the point of looking like you don't have enough to do? The answer to all three should be yes, if you want to succeed in your career on your own terms. Penelope Trunk, expert business advice columnist for the Boston Globe, gives anything but standard advice to help members of the X and Y ...more
Published May 25th 2007 by Warner Business Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Brazen Careerist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brazen Careerist

Shan
Feb 01, 2008 Shan rated it it was ok
I, too, think being brazen can be a good thing if used the right way. The author of this book believes our generation is being brazen by blazing new trails in the workforce. Now that's I thought I can get behind, which is why I picked up this book.

However, the author suggests being brazen means moving in with your parents because you don't want to earn your own way while you figure out what you want to do with your life. Or using sexual harassment as a tool to advance your career. Or taking the
melanie
Aug 16, 2007 melanie rated it really liked it
I adore Boston Globe columnist and blogger Penelope Trunk, so you can imagine when she (personally, yes!) asked me to read a galley copy of her new book Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success I had to make time for it.

The book has two parts: "Relish the Path from Starter Job to Dream Job" and "How to Get What You Want From the People You Work With". Based on where I am in my career and my life, Part One was a little too elementary for me. The book is targeted at 18-40-year-olds but I bet ev
David Peters
Feb 04, 2011 David Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saw this in the dollar store so I picked it up. A very quick read that made a lot of good points in a very direct, concise manner. If you work in a company and are looking for some quick fixes to your personal standing, seek out this book. At a dollar you cannot do much better.

A great value.
Julie Fiandt
Oct 22, 2010 Julie Fiandt rated it liked it
I enjoy her blog more, for it's deeply personal, yet helpful, reflections.
Meghan
Jul 31, 2009 Meghan rated it liked it
I ordered this book from my library simply because I am a member of the web site Penelope Trunk founded (also named "Brazen Careerist") and my daily updates from the site sometimes contain posts from Trunk's blog. I think she is a great writer and her ideas are definitely interesting, so I thought I might enjoy her book.

I guess I enjoyed the book. I mean, I like Trunk's writing style. I liked the way the book was laid out. I thought the advice was well thought-out and communicated concisely. Hel
Kelli
Feb 17, 2017 Kelli rated it liked it
This book is aimed at post-collegiate kids wondering:
- how to write a resume;
- if they should travel;
- if grad school is for them;
- what office life is like; and
- how to start a business.

Penelope Trunk has experience with all of these things and she also pats you on the back for moving in with your parents after school, so it is a pretty comforting book. As someone who has been part of office life for only 3 1/2 years, it was also comforting to hear the mantra that "30 is the new 20" and it w
Jaireh
Mar 24, 2008 Jaireh rated it really liked it
While the prevailing opinion of gen-y'ers tends to think of us as self-entitled brats with overly stroked egos and "self-esteems", Penelope Trunk acknowledges and teaches our generation to take advantage of our self-confidence, and corresponding skill sets and abilities in the new job marketplace. If you think about industries with little age or generation bias (i.e. tech and web) you will realize that our generation is imaginative, entrepreneurial, well educated, and quick-to-act.

Take advantag
Miranda Moberg Diaz
I was excited to read this book because I'm a regular reader of the Brazen Blog and find Penelope's views intriguing and thoughtful, and her writing style witty and charming.

While this book was an easy and quick read with some of her usual insightful quirks, I was disappointed. It's clear her life lessons are geared toward would-be consultants or business start-ups than anyone in a remotely stable career who she clearly turns her nose up at repeatedly. It felt snide, unaccountable, unrelatable
loafingcactus
Oct 07, 2012 loafingcactus rated it liked it
I've been spoiled by reading her blog (the one under her own name, not Brazen Careerist), whee she gets to expand both her personality and her thoughts. The book might be a good gift to someone who needs some P Trunk in capsule form (update: The New American Dream is almost exactly the same material and even more capsuled). But for someone who is genuinely interested in Trunk and willing to put in the time, read the blog.
Miki
Apr 12, 2011 Miki rated it liked it
Pretty good book on viewing your career strategically. Important pieces of advice include
1) Prepare stories for interviews
2) Do your own work last
3) Assume the job description was wrong
4) Being likeable matters more than being competent
5) Use harassment to boost your career
6) There are no ad bosses, only whiny employees
7) Know your bosses weaknesses and compensate for them
8) Focus on big projects to put on your next resume.
9) Think of big ideas, offload other work.
10) Don't be the hardest worker
Betty
Nov 26, 2011 Betty rated it liked it
Shelves: life-coach
Succinct and terse reminders about how office life works and what you need to do to get more out of your job. Yes it is aimed more towards Gen Y but is also helpful for those who have career-hopped and aren't playing a strict hierarchy trajectory. The author's acerbic statements are dead on funny: "If office politics and networking requires you to do something that feels fake, consider that you might not have been likable in the first place."

Aaron
Aug 24, 2008 Aaron rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Y-generationers
Shelves: improve-mgt-ldr
Penelope Trunk (what a pseudonym!) does a good job of presenting a listing of advice for a novice in the world of business. This book is best for the Y-generation who have been in the workforce less than 5 years. I'm an X but since I entered the workforce late (4+ years ago), I relate to many of the Y's tendencies. I wouldn't recommend this text to people who have been in the career long or older generations, but I enjoyed it.
Tanya
Feb 28, 2013 Tanya rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
2.75*
Clearly geared towards twenty-somethings starting their career. The book is set up kind of like an expanded list, with a beautiful table of contents, so it is easy to skim. I liked the parts I read, if only for the reminders of navigating work politics, and picked up one or two new things.
Shannon Hale
Jan 11, 2011 Shannon Hale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up because I've been reading the author's blog, and I like her writing style. Much of what she suggests is rooted in psychological study, and makes sense to me. I think this book is geared more towards people who are just finishing college and entering the work force, but nonetheless had some useful tips for those of us who've been in the corporate machine for a while.
Lisa
Nov 07, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
(Non-Fiction - Career Development) I read Trunk's blog and this book seemed bland compared to her blog. I missed all the drama and neurosis that is sprinkled among the career advice. Nevertheless, I think this a great book for a new graduate, along with Effectively Immediately by Emily Bennington (another blogger I like).
Mozart
May 30, 2011 Mozart rated it really liked it
Solid Book. Trunk gives great advice on how to deal with the new world of work and what it means to be generation Y in a baby boomer work environemt. The book is broken up into essays that are quick reads. This book is great to read on the go--- as its broken up into little essays.

read if you want to know the hidden rules of work for the 21st century.
Simplydolphins
Jan 24, 2016 Simplydolphins rated it really liked it
This was a quick read with some interesting and usable points. It spanned careers from just starting out, to becoming an entrepreneur, to how to negotiate a promotion/raise. I would definitely recommend this to someone that is needing a confidence booster in their career.
Sheila (Jensen) Keaton
Feb 07, 2008 Sheila (Jensen) Keaton rated it really liked it
so far, i am intrigued...
it is a bit eerie how a lot of penelope's main points are things i talk with students about on a regular basis. she does have a knack for making them sound harsher, though! i have yet to get to some of the more controversial points... i will report back!
Siddhangana
Feb 05, 2015 Siddhangana rated it liked it
You have to read this book for the right reasons. The first part of the book can be used as a guide for people who are just embarking on their career, but overall the book is more about believing in alternate ways of moulding your career.
Tiffany
Sep 05, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
This book was just what I needed. New Rules for Success is just what it provides as it takes the conventional career moves and spins them around. Get ready to say, 'No way I'm not doing that' and then turn around and say 'Ok fine, I'm in. What can I lose?'.
Rochelle
Nov 21, 2007 Rochelle rated it liked it
Hmmm a lot of re-iterating the same ideas -- some of which seem to be common knowledge for those of us who have interviewed, quit, got fired, and navigated through the social ladder at work. Best comment - "You get ahead by being liked!"
MJ
Jun 09, 2009 MJ rated it liked it
I definitely agree with her stance that being likable is more important than being competent in corporate America and that people best remember stories so use 'um in interviews and such.
Sunni7900
Jun 16, 2010 Sunni7900 marked it as to-read
I didn't get far on this 1 & will have to come back to it.
Damar
Oct 19, 2012 Damar rated it really liked it
uncertainty is a good gift with bad wrapping. well put
Jerry Huffman
Aug 29, 2009 Jerry Huffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting suggestions on how to plan and manage your career. I highly recommend it. I would like to purchase the hard back version.
Adrian
Jan 20, 2011 Adrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting career advice for GenX/GenYers. Penelope Trunk is a bit crazy (as you'd know if you read her blog Brazen Careerist, but she's got some fantastic ideas.
BLACK CAT
Good tips for your career wether you are in a corp or an entrepreneur or a student. Really good self-discovery and productivity tips.
Alex
Feb 14, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Gives an insightful perspective on how to handle office politics. The audio version was especially entertaining.
Yitka
Mar 19, 2012 Yitka rated it really liked it
An easily readable, down-to-Earth book for twenty/thirtysomethings, full of tips for living boldly and taking charge of your own career path. Definitely worth a read!
Angela
Jul 17, 2009 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
I really enjoy the acerbic humour of Penelope Trunk's blog and so was disappointed that the sharp edges of her wit had been polished down in this book. Some interesting career advice, nonetheless.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dream Year: Make the Leap from a Job You Hate to a Life You Love
  • Innovation You: Four Steps to Becoming New and Improved
  • Effective Immediately: How to Fit In, Stand Out, and Move Up at Your First Real Job
  • Startup CEO: A Field Guide to Scaling Up Your Business, + Website
  • Fail Fast, Fail Often: How Losing Can Help You Win
  • The 80/20 Manager: The Secret to Working Less and Achieving More
  • Mavericks at Work: Why the Most Original Minds in Business Win
  • Roadtrip Nation: A Guide to Discovering Your Path in Life
  • The Pledge: Your Master Plan for an Abundant Life
  • Generation Earn: The Young Professional's Guide to Spending, Investing, and Giving Back
  • Accelerated Learning Techniques
  • The 5 Patterns of Extraordinary Careers : The Guide for Achieving Success and Satisfaction (Crown Business Briefings)
  • The Bliss List: Discover What Truly Makes You Happy--Then Land Your Dream Job
  • The Art of Project Management
  • Why Smart Executives Fail: And What You Can Learn from Their Mistakes
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Who Gets Promoted, Who Doesn't, and Why: 10 Things You'd Better Do If You Want to Get Ahead
  • The Hard Truth About Soft Skills: Workplace Lessons Smart People Wish They'd Learned Sooner

“How many more investment bankers need to show up in court before people stop incriminating themselves in writing?” 0 likes
“Assume that everything you write via e-mail will appear in the business section of the newspaper.” 0 likes