Start by marking “Sorrow Floats” as Want to Read:
Sorrow Floats

Sorrow Floats (GroVont Triology #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  865 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Everyone in GroVont, Wyoming, knows everybody else's business, but Maurey Pierce Talbot is practically famous around town
Published September 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Sorrow Floats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorrow Floats

Pop Bop
Bickering, Sarcasm, Banter and a Few Slaps in the Face on the Road to Redemption

Being based in the Rockies I run across a fair number of books that fall into a category you could call "cowgirl noir". Sure, you have your hard bitten East Coast medical examiners and your hard bitten West Coast P.I.'s, and the occasional tough as nails fallen southern belle, but I'm still partial to the sadder but wiser cowgirl. Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and Arizona have each given birth to such characters, and
Bill P.
Sourcebooks reissue of Sorrow Floats will be out in September, but going through my stacks of books I discovered I had a first edition way back from when it was first published by Holt. Not sure why I never read it in the past, but I really enjoyed Tim Sandlin's portrayal of a group of misfits on a road trip from Wyoming to North Carolina in an ambulance hauling a horse trailer full of Coors. That in itself dates the book but then I remember doing that very thing while attending college in Misso ...more
C.E.
Its a real testament to Tim Sandlin that he can return to the territory of the wonderful Skipped Parts and write a sequal that lives up to its predecessor. Its even more remarkable that he can pick up the story 10 years later and from the point of view of Maurey Pierce, Sam Callahan's junior high love interest from Skipped Parts and still make it ring true.

This is a different type of book than Skipped Parts. Its considerably darker, due in no small part to Maurey's struggle with severe alcoholi
Barbara
Sigh. I'm a bit disappointed that I found this book to be such a let down after blowing through Skipped Parts in just 2 days. This book took me weeks to push through.

While I absolutely loved childhood Maurey in Skipped Parts, I found myself wanting to smack her adult character. And I suppose that's part of the problem right there. Skipped Parts was narrated by Sam. Sorrow Floats was narrated by Maury nearly a decade later. I wasn't expecting that. And it annoyed me from the get go.

Long story s
Blixco
I found this book on my friend Gordon's list, shortly after Gordon died. I'm trying to read through the books he read.

This is the second in this trilogy, but it's where I started. The main character is a suicidal alcoholic (who isn't admitting to being an alcoholic). She ends up in a mess, and leaves town with two people that she'd never, in a normal situation, be involved with. That unlikely trio picks up more characters along the way. It's an odd road trip, tinged with regret and humor, traged
Joy
2nd in the GroVont trilogy, set in the early 1970s. At 23, Maurey Pearce is an alcoholic. When she is pulled over for driving drunk through town with her baby on top of the car, her adulterous husband ensures she can't see her child, she can't live in her house, and she can't buy bullets or sharp items in town. Desperate and living in a tent, she teams up with some Alcoholics Anonymous members--a wheelchair-bound teller of tall tales and a lonely man in a quest for the wife who left him--in a ha ...more
Emily Blake
I really just like this book because of Sandlin's unique writing style. The plot wasn't super exciting. Basically he just wrote about a bunch of strange people living their lives together on a road trip. Sandlin looks at life in a way that most people normally don't, and I learn new things about people with each book. Unfortunately I'm tired of the filthy language now. At first his lewd writing style added some intrigue and comedy, but now it just feels like old news. On top of that this story w ...more
Maurey Pierce
Yeah, I know everyone says this, but this book is one of those that literally helped to shape the person I am. It inspired me to make some pretty big changes in my life, and sent me off on a crazy road trip to meet the writer, Tim Sandlin, in Jackson Hole, WY - a story that's probably worth a book of its own someday.

It's required reading for women, alcoholics, tortured writers ... the main character is so relateable, so smart, so hilarious ... and I think Sandlin does an awesome job of writing
Emily
Maurey Pierce is a flawed, broken, beautiful character. I loved her the first time I read this book, and I only grew to love her more. Tim Sandlin is a fantastic author who creates characters that are unforgettable. Maurey has a million problems and the rag tag group that ends up in a way saving her all come with their own share of issues but its not really a novel about people with issues; nor is it a novel about alcoholism - though that is Maurey's biggest issue - its a novel about being alive ...more
Christa
Maurey Pierce Talbot is a pain in the ass. She's also an alcoholic. This second book in the GroVont series is told from her point of view. As obnoxious as she is, I've never cheered harder for a fictional character.

If you liked Skipped Parts (GroVont Triology, #1) by Tim Sandlin, the first GroVont book, you'll probably like this one even more. I certainly did. The characters are varied and interesting, and alcohol isn't the only villain that Maurey has to deal with on this road trip from Wyoming to North Carolina.
Colin
I loved Skipped Parts, and at first I didn't like this much compaired to Skipped Parts. It took me a while to get into it, and it did take a while, but it was worth it. When you get closer to the end everything starts to come together. Near the very end some events might cause you to get a few tears in your eyes. The last few chapters it all come together and you can't help by smile as you realize what the whole story meant. I don't want to give everything away, but if you've started it and are ...more
Autum
I was disappointed by this follow up to Skipped Parts. It took me a really long time to read because I could never delve into the piece deeply enough. I liked Maurey Pierce (the main character), who is a 22- year-old alcoholic mother of two, but the storyline just wasn't good enough for me. Perhaps it was the other characters she was riding around the country with in an ambulance dragging a trailer full of illegal Coors beer. It sounds interesting, and hilarious, but the whole thing just never c ...more
Erik
Spectacular! I liked the first Gro Vont book, Skipped Parts, a lot, but it was more of a coming of age story with really strange twists. This one was cathartic and deep. Maury seemed somewhat unlikable after the first book, but this one delves deep into her complexities and challenges. I really liked Sam Callahan after Skipped Parts, and although he's not directly in this book, he's been made into a godlike figure. I almost don't want to read the next one because I don't want to ruin my image of ...more
Mike Wood
I REALLY enjoyed this book! Even though there was nothing in it I hadn't read before, it still felt fresh (as in new/original AND smartass/cheeky) It was so unoriginal, it was inspired. The characters and wordplay were great and while the 70's setting wasn't front and center in the story, it added a nice backdrop. I was not aware that this was the middle book in a trilogy when I first started reading it, but I'm def going to check out the other two.
MomIsReading
This was a perfect example of why I don't like to stop reading a book once I start even if I'm not feeling it at first. I didn't really care for Maurey in the first book of the series but I loved the writing style of the author. By the end of the book I finally warmed up to Maurey. The characters that this author writes are just beyond imagination and they make me laugh out loud often.
Justin
In the second installment of the "Skipped Parts" trilogy and, in some ways, my favorite. It's a road trip book, which I haven't read in awhile. So if you like books that are a constant journey, you'll like this one. But you should read the first one, "Skipped Parts", first.
Mary
Beautifully drawn characters, including one of the best female protagonists by a male author I've seen. Shane,a compulsive-liar recovering alcoholic paraplegic is one of the most incredible characters I've seen in contemporary fiction. Good road-trip story as well.
Michelle
Being a huge fan of road trips and raunchiness, I absolutely loved this book. Tim Sandlin's characters are quickly becoming some of my very favorite. They manage to be likable while being blatantly flawed, which is oddly comforting.
Christine
In my 20's I read pretty much everything that Tim Sandlin had ever written. Would enjoy them as much now? Probably not. They are simple and fun. Definitely a good choice if you want something that doesn't require too much focus.
Alicia
I think this was my third pass through this book, and it's still bizarre and highly entertaining. Everything goes wrong, but you still love the characters. It's a perfect airplane read, hard to put down.
DebiReads
Inexplicably drawn to these books and their characters. Great timing to discover them--the fourth comes out in less than two weeks.

Sorrow Floats bogged down during the road trip, but all was redeemed.
Old_airman
Missing Parts started funny and ended more sadly. Sorrow Floats seems to continue the mood of sadness. Funny in a sad way. Maury even mentions that is how cowboys work through their fears by making jokes.
Kate
I hated this book only because I hated the character in Skipped Parts. She just simply pissed me off throughout the entire story. This one is focused on her so it was very difficult for me to stomach.
Of the three books in the series, this was my second favorite. Maurey hits an all-time low, goes on a cross country adventure with two ex drunks, and many other crazy scenes.
karen
this one grew on me - ended up loving it. although I seem to have read the trilogy out of order, bugger. Can't wait to see drew barrymore in the 80's movie version.
Shea Kennedy
Thoroughly funny, sad, compelling and realistic look at alcoholism and depression. Much more mature writing from the same author as Missing Parts, which I also liked.
Beth
Eh. Not my favorite. I didn't like any character in it. As a child of an alcoholic I don't care for the excuses and relentless justification in drinking.
Gina
my least favorite of the trilogy but still a great read. it also introduced me to Yukon Jack, which I made sure to do a shot of when I passed through Wyoming.
Paula
I wanted to like this lively book, I really did. But hard as I tried I could not get past page 60. Not sure why - it simply didn't grab me.
Molly Kurland
Not as good as the first book, but I still was quite swept away on the journey the characters take. I'm looking forward to book #3 of the trilogy.
  • Paper Moon
  • Shoebox Project
  • John Belushi Is Dead
  • Beauty and the Beast (Disney Classic Series)
  • Hick
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • Rumpel-stiltskin
  • Belle and Sebastian: Just a Modern Rock Story
  • Classic Crews: A Harry Crews Reader
Tim Sandlin has published ten novels and a book of columns. He wrote eleven screenplays for hire; three have been made into movies. He turned forty with no phone, TV, or flush toilet and now he has all that stuff. Tim and his wife adopted a little girl from China. He is now living happily (indoors) with his family in Jackson, Wyoming.
More about Tim Sandlin...

GroVont Triology (4 books)
  • Skipped Parts (GroVont Trilogy, #1)
  • Social Blunders (GroVont Trilogy, #3)
  • Lydia
Skipped Parts (GroVont Trilogy, #1) Social Blunders (GroVont Trilogy, #3) Sex and Sunsets Western Swing Jimi Hendrix Turns Eighty