Start by marking “The Final Season: Fathers, Sons, and One Last Season in a Classic American Ballpark” as Want to Read:

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Maybe your dad took you to ball games at Fenway, Wrigley, or Ebbets. Maybe the two of you watched broadcasts from Yankee Stadium or Candlestick Park, or listened as Red Barber or Vin Scully called the plays on radio. Or maybe he coached your team or just played catch with you in the yard. Chances are good that if you're a baseball fan, your dad had something to do with it- ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Season

David Culver
Also available on my blog at

Stanton’s The Final Season took longer for me to complete than I anticipated, however this was due to my own busy schedule, more than anything on his part.

Stanton dances between memoir and documentary as he chronicles the Tiger’s last season at Tiger Stadium (Navin Field, Briggs Stadium) before moving over to Comerica Park.

Part of the power his tale is how Stanton delves into his family’s rich history with the Tiger’s organization. From his
Tom Stanton's THE FINAL SEASON is a finely written and evocative account of the author's experience in attending all 81 home games of the Detroit Tigers' 1999 baseball season--the final year that the team played in Tiger Stadium. The book is about much more than baseball. Stanton attends most of the games with his father, a lifelong Tigers' fan, and the book reveals how rooting for a particular team--especially a team that is connected to the traditions and history of a neighborhood and city--is ...more
Jim Kulhawy
Good, but not great, book on the final season at Tiger Stadium. The author takes us on an emotional family journey on what the Tigers, and Tiger Stadium, meant to him and his family throughout his life. He aquires press credentials for the full season and writes a re-cap, that is interwoven, with familial anecdotes, about what the stadium meant to him.

This book struck a note with me as I had just gone through this with the closing, and subsequent demolition, of Yankee Stadium with my father and
Grindy Stone
Sentimental without being mawkish, and very well-written. Must-read for anyone with a fondness for old sports stadia.
Great read for capturing the sentiment embodied in the true baseball fan.
If you grew up listening to Ernie Harwell on the transistor under your pillow at night, or watching Al Kaline chase down a ball to the corner then peg a throw to the plate on a fly, or believing that the corner of Michigan and Trumball was a baseball mecca, then this book will make you smile a thousand times and cry two or three. If you are not a Tiger fan, it's a sweet read about the meaning of family and connections (but probably only 3 stars). Either way it's worth the time.
An interesting account of the final season at Tiger Stadium. The author attends all 81 home games. He uses the pages to detail people who work in and around the stadium, his family history and it's love of baseball. He includes the final score and his impressions of every game during the last season.

This book provided me with the inspiration to embark on a similar project of my own.
Nice book, aptly titled. Tiger Stadium, like any great, traditional old ballpark was as much about a ritual shared between fathers and sons as it was about baseball. Stanton captures this dimension of the stadium as well as many great stories about behind-the-scenes characters, history and the traditions that made the corner of Michigan and Trumbell so special for so many people.
A must read for any Tigers fan born before 1990 (i.e. anyone who remembers attending a game at Tiger Stadium with their dad). My dad and I both read this when we were in Lakeland, FL for Tigers spring training and couldn't put it down.
Shannon McCook
Was a really good read. Moving and touching about the final season at Tiger stadium. A gem of a book that I will reread every beginning of baseball season! If you are A Tiger's fan - read this book!
If you're a Tigers fan, from Detroit or remember Tiger Stadium, read this book. It will bring back memories.
Nice memoir of a year spent going to every Tigers home game.
Perfectly nostalgic. I miss this stadium.
A must read for all Tiger fans
Matt Russelburg
Every tiger Fan should read this book.
Jeff Rice
Must read for any Tigers fan.
My first book.
Adam marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Tew marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Deirdre marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
D. Johnson
D. Johnson marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Bob marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Jason marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Dave marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
  • Fifty-Nine in '84
  • The Eastern Stars: How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris
  • High Steel: The Daring Men Who Built the World's Greatest Skyline
  • Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy
  • The Pentagon: A History
  • The Long Ball: The Summer of '75 -- Spaceman, Catfish, Charlie Hustle, and the Greatest World Series Ever Played
  • The President's House: 1800 to the Present The Secrets and History of the World's Most Famous Home
  • Opening Day: The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season
  • Catcher in the Wry
  • 56: Joe DiMaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports
  • Rickey & Robinson: The True, Untold Story of the Integration of Baseball
  • The Gashouse Gang
  • Stolen Season: A Journey Through America and Baseball's Minor Leagues
  • I Was Right On Time
  • Stars and Strikes: Baseball and America in the Bicentennial Summer of ‘76
  • Game Six: Cincinnati, Boston, and the 1975 World Series: The Triumph of America's Pastime
  • Slouching Toward Fargo: A Two-Year Saga Of Sinners And St. Paul Saints At The Bottom Of The Bush Leagues With Bill Murray, Darryl Strawberry, Dakota Sadie And Me
  • The Machine: A Hot Team, a Legendary Season, and a Heart-stopping World Series: The Story of the 1975 Cincinnati Reds